PDA

View Full Version : About Tuon

Tamyrlin
10-28-2009, 10:37 PM
The question is brought up in this book - is Tuon Ta'veren?

I think one of the most intense scenes occurs when Rand meets with Tuon and he demands that she make a pact...and she was able to deny him, even as she felt the desire to accept. Was that a case of the Pattern not allowing it, even though he wanted it? Or the will of one Ta'veren being able to deny another?

Davian93
10-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Egwene has denied him before...as has Caddy. Its just a willpower thing.

Tamyrlin
10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
She feels herself wanting to say yes. She has the desire to do so. It seems much more like a Ta'veren issue here than simple will power. I think we see Rand attempt, more so than before, to bend the Pattern to his will.

I'll go back - but I'm pretty sure that part was more than just willpower.

jana
10-28-2009, 10:57 PM
I also think that it was just willpower.

WinespringBrother
10-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Does she have more willpower than Morgase, though? For some reason, it seemed to me that Rand was trying to compel her. Maybe some compulsion was already in place by a certain deceased forsaken.

Or maybe the Pattern didn't want her to make peace yet, resulting in the semi-botched attack on the WT and Egwene's subsequent promotion.

FelixPax
10-29-2009, 02:06 AM
She feels herself wanting to say yes. She has the desire to do so. It seems much more like a Ta'veren issue here than simple will power. I think we see Rand attempt, more so than before, to bend the Pattern to his will.

I'll go back - but I'm pretty sure that part was more than just willpower.

The "Halo of Blackness", sure sounds like Moridin working though Rand to influence the outcome of the event. I think Tuon was under the effect of the True Power to say "No", to Rand.

This is event is in alignment I think with Moridin offering the "use" of the True Power to Rand, to kill Semirhage after being captured yet again. (Rand's a bit too dense and clueless).

Tuon I believe would of say "yes" if she met the Rand after Chapter 50, rather than in Chapter 35.

Terez
10-29-2009, 02:17 AM
RJ said that none of the major female characters were ta'veren, but he tagged an Aes Sedai bit at the end. :)

The Black Wind
10-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Tuon I believe would of say "yes" if she met the Rand after Chapter 50, rather than in Chapter 35.

I sure hope so. They still need an alliance before the last battle. And maybe now that Rand is human again they can actually compromise.

ShadowbaneX
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
will power combined with prophecy. Keep in mind that the Seanchan prophecies are quite different, or at least say different things. Some of those made what Rand was saying impossible for her to accept regardless of ta'veren pulliness.

Jokeslayer
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
For some reason, it seemed to me that Rand was trying to compel her. Maybe some compulsion was already in place by a certain deceased forsaken.

When you say Rand was trying to compel her, are you saying you think he was trying to use Compulsion? I just want to be clear. I'd have thought if he was, he'd have mentioned it at some later point while complaining about the Seanchan not agreeing to his truce.