PDA

View Full Version : Mat's luck

The Black Wind
10-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't recall the question of what causes Mat's luck being resolved before. If it has then this is pointless information but...

"Coincidence is how being ta'veren works," Veris said. "You find a discarded object that is of great use to you,or happen to meet an individual at just the right time. Random chance randomly works in your favor. Or haven't you noticed?" She smiled. "Care to throw some dice on it?" - pg 555 TGS

This seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Davian93
10-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Join my faction: Mat's Luck is Ta'veren, Nothing More (http://www.theoryland.com/factions.php?func=4&rec=109)

Sarevok
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Join my faction: Mat's Luck is Ta'veren, Nothing More (http://www.theoryland.com/factions.php?func=4&rec=109)
*joins*

Zaela Sedai
10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
We just need to see the three of them dice together, then we will know :p

Toss the dice
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I fully agree that ta'veren are luckier than the average individual, we have tons of evidence for this, going all the way back to New Spring even.

However, I think Mat's luck goes beyond even the ta'veren type, a type of luck that is unique to him alone. The books have seen Perrin dicing a time or two, and while he might have done well, it wasn't noteworthy in the books, while dicing in the same games/groups, Mat's play at dice WAS noteworthy.

Personally, I think Mat's luck has been augmented by some sort of tie (however indirectly) to the Dark One, and the dagger from Shadar Logoth. The books seem to point to this as we all know. For now, that is my stance.

Davian93
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Its almost like he's a really powerful ta'veren and his luck is something he NEEDS to stay alive due to a lack of any other special powers.

Toss the dice
10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Its almost like he's a really powerful ta'veren and his luck is something he NEEDS to stay alive due to a lack of any other special powers.

I agree that Rand can channel and Perrin has his whole wolf thing, but Mat doesn't exactly have nothing for himself in that area. He's only the best military commander in the history of the known world, and has more overall knowledge inside his head than any 100 men. Personally, I would take that over Perrin's wolf dreams and wolf everything any day.

I simply view Mat's luck as something unique to him. Rand has the whole DR and channeling thing, Perrin the wolf stuff, Mat the Aelfinn/Eelfinn related things and his luck.