PDA

View Full Version : The Rand vs Moridin debacle

Mort
10-29-2009, 10:03 AM
The scene with Moridin and Rand were great imo. I just wonder why Moridin were so frank about the whole transmigration buisiness and that balefire is the ultimate killer. Also Moridin complained about being very tired. He's probably feeling some of what Rand feels, unless he's been up to something we don't know yet.

Did anyone else notice that Rand has been wearing a lot of the same colors that Moridin likes? I think it's the same colors at least. Don't have a quote of Moridins style of decorations at hand atm.

Oh, and about Mat... did anyone else feel it was a bit more... humour in those chapters? I often think Mat chapters are fun to read because he is funny without trying or just the situation is laughable. But this time, especially around Talmanes, they were like the comedy duo of the book it felt. Especially with the whole character backstory setup Mat had done. Felt a little Terry Pretchet. I liked it! :)

Davian93
10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, Rand wore predominantly Black and Red the entire book. And Moridin complained about what Semi did to Rand (the loss of the hand). The entire dream was very interesting...great scene.

Mort
10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Yes, Rand wore predominantly Black and Red the entire book. And Moridin complained about what Semi did to Rand (the loss of the hand). The entire dream was very interesting...great scene.

Now I can't remember or find what chapter that scene was in, a little help?

Jokeslayer
10-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Now I can't remember or find what chapter that scene was in, a little help?

Terez
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Unless you meant the hand thing, which was in the prologue.

Sarevok
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
The scene with Moridin and Rand were great imo. I just wonder why Moridin were so frank about the whole transmigration buisiness and that balefire is the ultimate killer. Also Moridin complained about being very tired. He's probably feeling some of what Rand feels, unless he's been up to something we don't know yet.

I have a hunch Moridin may be just as tired of the whole thing as Rand is, and he would like to end this war one way or another.
Just a hunch, though.

Mort
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a hunch Moridin may be just as tired of the whole thing as Rand is, and he would like to end this war one way or another.
Just a hunch, though.

Very likely I'd say. He just wants to get it over with. If Rand would actually be able to find a way to kill the DO, Moridin might even help him, since it would mean he could survive, or do one last good thing to the world before the end. It's kind of a theme in the series it seems ;)

creepybob
10-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Didn't he ask if Rand was "really there." He might have assumed Rand was an apparition, like the face before his eyes.

jana
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I just wonder why Moridin were so frank about the whole transmigration buisiness and that balefire is the ultimate killer.

Because he wanted Rand to use balefire.

Davian93
10-29-2009, 05:26 PM

Balefire weakens the Pattern, which is the DO's prison. Quite crafty.

The Black Wind
10-29-2009, 05:26 PM

Yes, I also came to this conclusion. The question is why? To loosen the pattern?

Ieyasu
10-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Yes, I also came to this conclusion. The question is why? To loosen the pattern?

It is quite possible he wants to loosen the pattern, but I also see it as his inherent selfishness and desire to see the other chosen fall and not come back.....but that doesnt ring quite true to me, because Elan is already the top dog alpha over them, in that he is the acknowledged Nea'blis... and he alone comprehends the true nature of a Shadow Victory... and that sets him a little above the normal plotting for power and jostling for position that we see in the chosen.

Mort
10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
It could be that Moridin feels that an attack on Rand from one of the Forsaken is imminent. Moridin doesn't want Rand to die, not yet anyway. By giving Rand a hint at what ultimately kills the forsaken, he can better secure Rands safety until such a time when it's time for Rand to play his part in "winning the last battle". From Moridins standpoint that is. Either that or Moridin is just afraid what would happen if Rand actually dies while they are connected. Maybe a little bit of both perhaps.

Davian93
10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Clearly loosening the Pattern is a good thing for the Shadow. Its already so weak that I doubt it will take much to destroy it completely.