PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thought on the White Tower

Davian93
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
So the Seanchan sent a squad of assassins to the WT. Bryne killed one but there are still several left. It begs the question:

Who will be offed in the next book as a result of this? Egwene? (perhaps thats when a Seanchan woman saves her?)

What repercussions will this have?

For now, its just pure speculation but it should be interesting.

ShadowbaneX
10-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I kinda got the impression that they were out causing a ruckus the entire time the raid was going on. It's possible that the other four are still out there biding their time, but it's also possibly that they were killed in the battle.

Davian93
10-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I kinda got the impression that they were out causing a ruckus the entire time the raid was going on. It's possible that the other four are still out there biding their time, but it's also possibly that they were killed in the battle.

I thought their primary mission was to stay behind and cause damage well after the fact. I recall Tuon thinking that. In all honestly, I didn't really care for the whole idea and the magic mood ring that makes them invisible...but that's beside the point.

Mort
10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I thought their primary mission was to stay behind and cause damage well after the fact. I recall Tuon thinking that. In all honestly, I didn't really care for the whole idea and the magic mood ring that makes them invisible...but that's beside the point.

I think they wouldn't hang back and do nothing. We never heard of any more deaths after the Seanchan left. I think they are all dead. Also, they will die within a few days anyway because of the ring. I would think they would try and make the best use of it until then.

Those rings are probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a Gray Man ter'angreal. Neat little trick.

creepybob
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
...there might be one or two still lurking somewhere, but everyone's on edge and they'll have a hell of a time killing anyone.

If they do kill somebody else Egwene will likely see the SC as her primary threat, a real and present danger, and use the tower guard to take care of them.

Zaela Sedai
10-29-2009, 06:10 PM
They'll probably be dead too soon too kill anyone else unless the book picks up immediately.

The Black Wind
10-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I always saw those assassins merely as a means to fulfill Min's vision about Suian and Gareth, not a larger plot device or anything.

Zaela Sedai
10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
same here

Davian93
10-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I always saw those assassins merely as a means to fulfill Min's vision about Suian and Gareth, not a larger plot device or anything.

I'm just hoping there is something more there.

Frenzy
11-10-2009, 10:57 PM
What about the black knife Min saw spinning around Beldeine's head?

camber71
11-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Fortuona saw them as staying behind whatever the result. This implies that it is likely that we will hear of a few deaths to Aes Sedai in the next book, not many but enough to put Tar Valon on edge...make Egwene harder...steel...just in time for Rand to come down from his successful vaca on the Mountain and say 'loosen up Egwene! Love, baby, love!' At which point she will scream 'who is this pansy and what has happened to Rand!

WinespringBrother
11-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Someone asked Brandon about the bloodknives and he answered that they were still around to cause mayhem and that we haven't heard the last of them

amazinglarry
11-11-2009, 06:14 AM
This could tie in with Egwene's dream where Gawyn chooses which fork in the road to follow, one leads to their marriage and the other to Egwene's violent death (ACoS Ch 10). While Gawyn was involved in Egwene's rescue after the battle, I didn't think he did anything particularly necessary on that mission. Plot-wise, the reason for the rescue seems to be to set up the BA purge in the rebel camp, not to save Egwene's life. So while Gawyn has made his decision, I don't think it has saved Egwene from a violent death yet. Maybe he'll kill some bloodknives that otherwise would've gotten to Egwene in the next book.

amazinglarry

legends be wrought
11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I hope its not another scene to show off more of his skills with the sword. Like a bunch of warders die to two of them, then Gawyn shows up and disposes of them efficiently, saving Egwene in the process. If i see a scene like that, i may very well throw down the book is distaste

Crispin's Crispian
11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I've been thinking about this for the last couple days. I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see Egwene either almost die (saved by Gawyn?) or actually die.

Think about this: the Foretellings and Dreams only talk about the necessity of Rand's three women, and the tripod of men. Egwene isn't really featured as a major player in the Last Battle. Her dream and Min's vision only talks about Gawyn either saving her or killing her/letting her die. What if makes the wrong choice?

So, how will Rand face the Amyrlin Seat and know her anger? Simple. Egwene dies, Moiraine returns as a legendary Aes Sedai hero, and gets to sit in the angry chair. :)

matrimzombie
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I've been thinking about this for the last couple days. I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see Egwene either almost die (saved by Gawyn?) or actually die.

Think about this: the Foretellings and Dreams only talk about the necessity of Rand's three women, and the tripod of men. Egwene isn't really featured as a major player in the Last Battle. Her dream and Min's vision only talks about Gawyn either saving her or killing her/letting her die. What if makes the wrong choice?

So, how will Rand face the Amyrlin Seat and know her anger? Simple. Egwene dies, Moiraine returns as a legendary Aes Sedai hero, and gets to sit in the angry chair. :)

I'm pretty sure Moiraine would jump back through the twisted redstone ter'angreal before becoming Amyrlin.

I can always get behind a good Egwene dies theory though.

amazinglarry
11-11-2009, 12:39 PM

In her "Gawyn fork in the road" dream, one side leads to her violent death and the other to a long life, so I think we can assume she'll survive the Last Battle as long as the Dark One doesn't break the pattern completely.

amazinglarry

nameless
11-11-2009, 12:43 PM

The Light-side prophecies don't mention Egwene, but Shadow prophecies pointed to her and Nynaeve both as being essential to Rand's success. That's why they were sold out to the Seanchan in tGH.

Crispin's Crispian
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
In her "Gawyn fork in the road" dream, one side leads to her violent death and the other to a long life, so I think we can assume she'll survive the Last Battle as long as the Dark One doesn't break the pattern completely.

amazinglarry
That's what I'm saying, Larry--her violent death is still a good possibility.

Crispin's Crispian
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
The Light-side prophecies don't mention Egwene, but Shadow prophecies pointed to her and Nynaeve both as being essential to Rand's success. That's why they were sold out to the Seanchan in tGH.
I'll have to look those up. I wonder if they were already satisfied in some way (say, by Egwene reuniting the Tower).

Yellowbeard
11-11-2009, 01:09 PM
much as i'd enjoy it, egwene won't die. neither will gawyn. i'm not lucky enough for annoying characters to go away.

i think the bloodknives will cause a bit of trouble in the tower, kill a few more AS, then all end up getting their butts kicked by laras and her spoon sceptre which will turn out to be a a balefire ter'angreal. :D

nameless
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I'll have to look those up. I wonder if they were already satisfied in some way (say, by Egwene reuniting the Tower).

We never see the prophecy in question. We just know it's there because Liandrin mentions it while she's trying to talk them into following her through the Ways. Even if she hadn't, we can infer the Shadow knows something about them by the way they were targeted specifically. It wasn't just their strength or Elayne would have been targeted as well.

Terez
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I think Nynaeve and Egwene were targeted because of their connection to Rand - Elayne's connection to him wasn't really established at that point (beyond that one meeting, and her making friends with Egwene and Nynaeve).