PDA

View Full Version : The List - Tour Signing Questions For Brandon

Tamyrlin
10-29-2009, 11:24 AM
We should compile this before the tour ends and we are forced to email Brandon hoping he responds. As with previous signings, we've gone into them with the hope to glean additional data points beyond the books. So, what can we ask that would be useful?

1. Assuming Graendal was balefired, how far back do you estimate that her thread would have been removed from the Pattern?

2. When Rand attempts to get Tuon to make a pact, we note that Tuon feels like she should agree. Are we seeing the influence of Will power? True Power? Ta'veren Power?

3. Now that we know Verin was Black Ajah, can you tell us if Verin influenced Alanna in her decision to bond Rand?

4. At anytime during Verin's sojourn as Black Ajah, was she commanded or approached in any way by Forsaken? or this question - Now, we know Verin was lying about being sent by Moiraine. Moiraine didn't send her, so who sent Verin? (I'm not sure which has a better chance of not being RAFO'd or twisted).

5. Did Moiraine know anything about Verin seeking out Black Ajah?

6. Did RJ write down the specific treaties made with the Snakes and the Foxes? If so, is the Treaty with the Snakes different than the Treaty with the Foxes? If so, regarding the treaty with the Foxes, does the treaty specify that a price/terms can/will be set for each individual that make three requests? (Better way of wording that?)

What else?

Davian93
10-29-2009, 11:28 AM
If the first one is RAFOed, it could have numerous implications:

1. She wasn't actually balefired, just her palace.

2. Something to do with Asmo.

Davian93
10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Is there any difference between True Power balefire and One Power balefire?

WSB: Are there different kinds of balefire (and not just different degrees of it)?

Isabel
10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Can you explain something more about the writing proces of TGS? Can you give an example of a scene and what kind of notes you had on that scene?

Can you confirm that you said that RJ didn't leave any notes about the question about the voice of LTT.

WinespringBrother
10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Just so I have an idea, Tam, did you get a chance to ask a lot of questions during your private Q&A with Brandon (so I can plan and allocate time/questions accordingly).

Also, do we have links for the Charleston and Chicoago (though that may not yet be posted yet) signings? I only saw the one for BYU.

As for other questions:

Did you (Brandon) guess Asmo killer correctly? Were you satisfied/shocked with the answer and explanation? Was it truly intuitively obvious to a casual reader? And for the plot version question, do any characters besides the killer (and possibly the DO) know who did it?

Since I've been reading a lot about the WOT symbology on 13th depository, I was thinking of asking about the notes that RJ left about that, and how much he has incorporated into the sections he wrote in TGS and beyond.

Speaking of Q&A, there was an article in today's USA Today, but I didn't see any info on the interview he did.

Tamyrlin
10-29-2009, 12:55 PM
"Just so I have an idea, Tam, did you get a chance to ask a lot of questions during your private Q&A with Brandon (so I can plan and allocate time/questions accordingly)."

I'm assuming you are talking about the dinner? The dinner was cool and there was lots of time to ask questions. I tried to hold back a bit (since I had read the book already), and threw a couple of general questions at him. You'd definitely have time to throw out some questions and I imagine these dinners will get more interesting (book related) now that the book has been released. However, I also had a chance to go in and help Brandon with the books, as he said, "a chance to ask me the questions that came up as you were reading".

That was cool, but what was a bummer about my time helping Brandon was that I was the 1st Among Equals...so I had some responsibility to make sure the SL's were working with the Bookstore...while I was trying to help Brandon with the signing (setting up the books so he could just open and pre-sign them). Plus, two groups came in to interview, so I had to step away during those, and got caught up in setting up the live feed and such. All in all, I probably only had about ten minutes sitting down next to him. During that time I discussed Verin/Lanfear with him. Also, I talked about Egwene and her capture...just wanted to verify an impression I got in this book, which he said wasn't meant (I was really hoping that she the capture was with intent - he verified that it wasn't). Finally, I mentioned Alanna's bond, he just smiled and didn't say anything. I did talk through Mat's characterization a little bit too. Unfortunately, that's all of the time I had. Teri actually spent more time back there helping with the books and talking to Brandon than I did!

"Did you (Brandon) guess Asmo killer correctly? Were you satisfied/shocked with the answer and explanation? Was it truly intuitively obvious to a casual reader? And for the plot version question, do any characters besides the killer (and possibly the DO) know who did it?"

Brandon already answered the intuitively obvious question. He said that he believed that Jim believed it was intuitively obvious, but it may not have been so (or something like that - it's in the Theoryland twitter feed from back in April at JordanCon). I like that twist on an Asmo question you are thinking about posing.

WinespringBrother
10-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn't get to spend much time talking to Brandon. Though when you said that you helped him with the books, my first thought was you made suggestions for ToM LOL

I will be meeting with the NY Storm Leaders Sunday to plan the Nov 9 signing, so will have an idea of who is doing what, though it seems likely I will be doing the documentation, and I will definitely bring a working tape recorder and lots of cassettes, and hopefully hear all the q/a's. I had an idea also which I will mention at the meeting of doing some kind of pre-screening of the questions while people are still lining up to get an idea of the questions and maybe get some answers in advance.

FelixPax
10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
If the first one is RAFOed, it could have numerous implications:

1. She wasn't actually balefired, just her palace.

Well, we know that the Lord Ramshalan was under Compulsion, and after that Fortress was Balefired with a huge amount of saidin the compulsion was removed from Ramshalan (Chapter: "A Force of Light")

I still think that's a relatively crappy exit for Graendal, overall. I assume there's a better reason, for why Graendal was killed this way: Asmodean's death and all of Graendal's prior impacts within Arad Doman oddly enough would be removed.

I'd like to learn why Brandon wrote tGH is relatively distance 3rd person as much as he did, and seemed to of removed the a large amount of characters within the story itself? Some parts of the story seemed rough, and lacking the interwoven lace quality that was in prior books, say for to about the Path of Daggers book. At times it seemed like the story was being "told", and not "shown" as like before.

I was a bit surprise at how much Rand's pov dominated the whole text overall...almost like Rand was going to die in tGS not say in ToM or AMOL. The diversity of characters within many of the groupings in the story, just seemed to be missing unfortunately for some reason. So I guess I'm curious about why Brandon took the writing decisions he did in tGS?

Back to the original questions for Brandon:
- What was Logain doing during most of tGS? And Alivia?
- Why didn't we see a broader cast of prior characters names used in tGS?
A slightly similar contrast can be seen using a music group comparison example, Pussycat Dolls with Christina Applegate, Christina Aguilera and Carmen Electra versus the Pussycat Dolls with Nicole Scherzinger et la: the first was a true group effort, the second a solo effort with a bunch of backup singers/models. The Gathering Storm focus has a different feel than the books before 'Path of Daggers', the narrowing of focus is the greatest different I think here.

Isabel
10-29-2009, 02:25 PM
I actually thought it was a very cool way for Graendal to die ;) Ofcourse I am 95% sure she is dead. There is always some leeway.
I thought it was so cool, because it was so abrupt, but also very smart. Why would Rand not use balefire. Much saver and no reincarnated forsaken.

Isabel
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
**bump**

FelixPax
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Is there any difference between True Power balefire and One Power balefire?

Do Osan'gar and Asmodean both live now?

- Elza balefired by the True Power, yet she killed Osan'gar at the Cleansing of the Taint with an explosion. So does Osan'gar live yet again?

- Graendal balefire by a huge stream of the One Power, yet it is common believed that she killed Asmodean in Caemlyn. So does Asmodean live yet again?

It's all a big joke on Rand, he takes out two female Chosen (Semirhage, Graendal) and yet two male Chosen return to life again, as they never died in the first place. Aviendha would have a huge laugh...Asmodean's back! :D

Rand should of listened to Cadsuane suggestions regarding balefire. ;)
Blowback can be a pain....

Isabel
10-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Felix: those two will be RAFO'ed.

Belazamon
10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Felix: those two will be RAFO'ed.
I somehow doubt it. I don't think there's any likelihood that the balefire was strong enough to bring either of them back to life.

FelixPax
10-30-2009, 12:15 AM
I somehow doubt it. I don't think there's any likelihood that the balefire was strong enough to bring either of them back to life.

The thing is do we know if there is a fundamental difference between balefire created by the Dark One or the Creator?

We know that "severing" caused by the True Power is in fact different from a "severing" caused by the One Power. So one can assume balefire differs as well, the real question is how?

Lanfear said Rand could challenge the Creator/Dark One with the Sa'angreal he used to nuke Graendal's fortress in Arad Doman. It could destroy the very Pattern itself, according to multiple characters in the story, so it is a real possibility that the balefire effects were extremely abnormally in time frame.

The Wise Ones felt the chances caused by the Balefire a long ways away in distance. So it's implied that Graendal damage to Arad Doman was removed or lessened with her unique death in tGS. Even Asmodean's death, too.

RAFO?

Well, then give Brandon a pen and paper so he can write us an answer to "read and find out" at the booksigning. :)
Would my copy tGS be okay for paper to write an answer on? ;)

Belazamon
10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
The thing is do we know if there is a fundamental difference between balefire created by the Dark One or the Creator?
Nope, we sure don't. In fact, nothing before this book gave us any cause to question it.

We know that "severing" caused by the True Power is in fact different from a "severing" caused by the One Power. So one can assume balefire differs as well, the real question is how?
I'm lost. How do we know that about severing? What are you referring to here?

Lanfear said Rand could challenge the Creator/Dark One with the Sa'angreal he used to nuke Graendal's fortress in Arad Doman. It could destroy the very Pattern itself, according to multiple characters in the story, so it is a real possibility that the balefire effects were extremely abnormally in time frame.

The Wise Ones felt the chances caused by the Balefire a long ways away in distance. So it's implied that Graendal damage to Arad Doman was removed or lessened with her unique death in tGS. Even Asmodean's death, too.
... I think you're being very creative, but the "backlash" was presumably the feeling of the Pattern loosening due to excessive use of balefire, specifically the deletion of an entire "city" from the Pattern at once. It was even mentioned in the BWB:During the year of unrestricted use, entire cities were burned from the pattern, and the world and its universe were threatened by the broken and loose threads. Reality itself was in danger of unraveling.I'm pretty sure that's the precedent BS was referring back to.

As someone else pointed out in another thread (there's too many right now, so I don't remember which), the size of the balefire in this case doesn't necessarily mean it was orders of magnitude stronger.

And finally, we have BS's words on the matter. They're in Min's mouth, but I think it's quite fair to use the to encapsulate BS's belief of how things worked in this particular circumstance:Balefire burned someone out of the Pattern completely, making it so that their most recent actions never occurred. Ramshalan would remember visiting Graendal, but her Compulsion no longer existed. In a way, she'd been killed before Ramshalan had visited her.

FelixPax
10-30-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm lost. How do we know that about severing? What are you referring to here?

There is an RJ interview quote I read, where he give a direct example of the difference between a "severing" caused by the One Power versus a "severing" caused by the True Power. The point being that a severing cause the True Power, is unable to be healed using the One Power.

Terez, you back where this particular interview is located?

... I think you're being very creative, but the "backlash" was presumably the feeling of the Pattern loosening due to excessive use of balefire, specifically the deletion of an entire "city" from the Pattern at once. It was even mentioned in the BWB:I'm pretty sure that's the precedent BS was referring back to.

Well, the Wise Ones were in Arad Doman then, and Graendal did a large amount of harm within greater Arad Doman. So it's within reason they can notice they effects. Besides Rand did pull in a huge amount of Saidin to destroy that fortress, probably close to what he did at the Cleansing of the Taint.

Some say I was too creative in my judgments about Verin Sedai lendings, shrug. In any case here how "blowback" was described from Min's pov in tGS:

And then, with a sound like a sigh, he released it. A column of pure whiteness exploded from him and burned across the silent night sky, illuminating the trees below it in a wave. It moved as quick as a snap of the fingers, striking the wall of the distant fortress. The stones came alight, as if they were breathing in the force of the energy. The entire fortress glowed, transforming into living light, an amazing, spectacular palace of unadulterated energy. It was beautiful.

And then it was gone. Burned from the landscape--and the Pattern--as if it had never been there. The entire fortress, hundreds of feet of stone and everyone who had live in it.

Something hit Min, something like shocking wave in the air. It wasn't a physical blast, and it didn't make her stumble, but it twisted her insides about. The forest around them--still lit by the glowing access key in Rand's hands--seemed to warp and shake. It was as if the world itself were groaning in agony.

It snapped back, but Min could still feel that tension. In that instant, it seemed as if very substance of world had been near to breaking.

"Tell us of this event, child," Sorilea said. "We felt the world warping from here, but did not know what had caused it. We assumed it to be the Dark's One work."

As someone else pointed out in another thread (there's too many right now, so I don't remember which), the size of the balefire in this case doesn't necessarily mean it was orders of magnitude stronger.

I do not recall any proof that this claim is true, though. However, I do remember evidence of the size of the balefire used impacts the depth into the Pattern is destroyed. The greater the Balefire size, the greater the depth backwards in time destroyed.

So let's assume Graendal used Compulsion on Noal, what a year to twenty years ago? Now that she's erased from the Pattern, Noal's Compulsion might just be erased as well.

And finally, we have BS's words on the matter. They're in Min's mouth, but I think it's quite fair to use the to encapsulate BS's belief of how things worked in this particular circumstance:

Rand balefired Rahvin in the TAR too. Rand remembered killing Rahvin, but Rahvin's recent actions didn't exist anymore--killing Mat, Aviendha and a few Maidens in Caemlyn.

The actual Compulsion used on Noal may not exist anymore, too. It's an open question, as two Forsaken have recently been canned: Semirhage, Graendal.

Ieyasu
10-30-2009, 01:31 AM
So let's assume Graendal used Compulsion on Noal, what a year to twenty years ago? Now that she's erased from the Pattern, Noal's Compulsion might just be erased as well.

The actual Compulsion used on Noal may not exist anymore, too. It's an open question, as two Forsaken have recently been canned: Semirhage, Graendal.

Why on earth would we ever assume Graendal used compulsion on Noal?

FelixPax
10-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Why on earth would we ever assume Graendal used compulsion on Noal?

Aran'gar did say in KoD that Graendal had a very large number of Friends of the Dark. And Noal has obvious signs of past application of Compulsion upon him. Yet Ishamael very likely was the first Chosen to use, Noal this way. After Ishamael left the scene, the other Chosen did take his old darkfriend networks for their own use, e.g. Noal too?

Moghedien, Graendal, Rahvin, Sammael all did this, redirecting darkfriends with Compulsion, after Ishamael died the first time in the Stone. Noal was used years ago, as a "tool" in his own words.

Terez
10-30-2009, 01:51 AM
There is an RJ interview quote I read, where he give a direct example of the difference between a "severing" caused by the One Power versus a "severing" caused by the True Power. The point being that a severing cause the True Power, is unable to be healed using the One Power.

Terez, you back where this particular interview is located?
Budapest.

*lazy*

Davian93
10-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Ishy compelled Noal Charin. Hell, he said so several times and he was used well before any other Forsaken were free.

Tamyrlin
10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
A pet speculation on my part: Did Ishamael help establish the Aes Sedai three oaths?

Kingoftonga86
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I think a good question to ask is: How did Cadsuane know that Tam was with Perrin? It's like there was a missing scene somewhere in the book.

Sulin was with Perrin at the beginning of the book, and halfway through she shows up with Rand and Co. This is the same chapter (Chapter 37) in which Cadsuane suggests that Nynaeve find Perrin. So we can assume that Sulin filled the Wise Ones in as to what was going on. But how did Sulin get back to Rand and Co. to begin with?

Tamyrlin
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Here is Dragonmount's link they recently posted for any questions and answers they get at a signing. Let's post our own in our thread here, so people don't have to go digging for them if they are looking.

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,49575.0.html

Davian93
10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
A pet speculation on my part: Did Ishamael help establish the Aes Sedai three oaths?

My guess would be YES, with his influence through the Black Ajah. It totally seems like an Ishy plot. Please ask that question even though its likely a RAFO or a BS "I have no idea, I'd have to ask Charleston" (IHNIIHTAC)

Tamyrlin
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm sure I'll get some time to ask Brandon TGS questions, assuming everyone at the Dinner has read the book...so...time to pick the top questions.

greatwolf
10-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Graendal did a large amount of harm within greater Arad Doman. So it's within reason they can notice they effects. Besides Rand did pull in a huge amount of Saidin to destroy that fortress, probably close to what he did at the Cleansing of the Taint.

I do not recall any proof that this claim is true, though. However, I do remember evidence of the size of the balefire used impacts the depth into the Pattern is destroyed. The greater the Balefire size, the greater the depth backwards in time destroyed.

IIRC, the effects(removing back in time) of BF depend on the channeler's strength and not the size of the weave used in BF. There's a quote by Moiraine in FoH to that effect i think. I'll try get it tonight if I'm not too tired. Its not a very certain thing though.

BFing a whole city means taking a lot of threads out of the pattern. That seems to be the reason why the pattern unravels to me rather than time BFed backwards. But I haven't really thought about this.

Then again we're not certain if there are limits to the pattern's ability to compensate for the BF event. We'll assume there is, since the aol AS thought the pattern was unravelling.

I guesss BS will probably be able to tell us at least if the pattern has limits in compensating for BF. I mean if the pattern can remove actions done, say ten years past from the pattern and still remain intact.

Maybe.

jason wolfbrother
10-31-2009, 12:58 PM
I think this is the quote you were thinking of
TITLE: Fires of Heaven
CHAPTER: 6 - Gateways
"Sometimes it is necessary to do that which is forbidden." If she was flustered, it did not show in her voice. "When anything is destroyed with balefire, it ceases to exist before the moment of its destruction, like a thread that burns away from where the flame touched it. The greater the power of the balefire, the further back in time it ceases to exist. The strongest I can manage will remove only a few seconds from the Pattern. You are much stronger. Very much so."

greatwolf
11-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Yup. Tanx.

Slightly different than I remebered so its strength entirerly in Moiraine's pov.

Speaking of strength, I think BS might tell us the strength of a few of the more prominent characters especially the male forsaken and Rand.
Is Rand as strong as a man can be now and has he stopped gaining? Is the Dragon always the strongest man of the age?

And that time question if he doesn't RAFO it. Is it possible to time travel with the OP?

Davian93
11-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Wasn't Ishamael LTT's equal in OP Strength?

Overall, it would make sense that they were completely equal.

greatwolf
11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Ishy was said to be next to the Dragon in the aol but does that mean he and Logain are at par? And who's next? Among the forsaken, I got the impressiom that aginor was next:

AGINOR

The second most powerful man, known by the Forsaken name Aginor, came close to rivaling Lews Therin and Ishamael in strength. Before he turned to the dark, he was Ishar Morrad Chuain, one of the foremost biological scientists of the Age of Legends.

While it could be argued that Lanfear might be stronger, I personally think this is right. But his dealings with other forsaken does not lend any weight to him being next to Ishy.

And that's just one example. While strength rating doesn't mean all that much in a duel (skill/angreal/links/tricks/amulets...) it would still be nice for speculation before the end of the series.

Also

ch. 52
"I suffered more injury to my pride than anything else," the Aes Sedai said irritably, plucking at her
cloak blanket. She looked as if she had been a long time ill, or hard used, but despite the dark circles under them
her eyes were sharp and full of power. "Aginor was surprised and angry that I held him as long as I did, but
fortunately, he had no time to spare for me. I am surprised myself that I held him so long. In the Age of
Legends, Aginor was close behind the Kinslayer and Ishamael in power."

Isabel
11-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Tam: In the case if Brandon answers anything about LTT, please ask him more questions.

Like:
-Did Rand had any control about the voice?
-Why was it gone in TAR?
-Is it the authentic voice?
-How did the voice happen? Like taint or construct?

If I am correct, you have a signing / tonight, tam?

Tamyrlin
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Some of the storm leaders have not read or finished the book, so I plan to gear my questions around balefire calculations and finns (and their treaties).

Other thoughts for good but non spoiler questions?

I figure I can ask if Jordan left a Balefire calculation between time and power. And follow ups regarding the power amplification of the CK.

Additionally, I figure I can ask about the treaties with the Foxes and the Snakes, if and how they differ.

Tree Brother
11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I figure I can ask if Jordan left a Balefire calculation between time and power. And follow ups regarding the power amplification of the CK.

Traveling with the TP is different from doing so with the OP. Is balefire different as well when using the TP?

Do the *finns care whether the DO "wins" or not?

Cadsuane makes the point that if the DO wins, there is no future to read. That is fortellings, Min's readings, etc will not come to pass. I suppose the same would be true regarding the *finn's answers.

Tree Brother
11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Another one (may be RAFO though)

Are the dark prophecies true prophecies?

Book 12 connection: I believe Verin's writings include all the dark prophecies she could dig up.

Nelal Hurcran
11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Here's a couple. Most likely to be RAFO'ed.

- It seems that Rand's "Cleansing" on Dragonmount burned a lot of the darkness out of him that we have been seeing since book 3. Does this mean that his wounds will start to heal now?

- (Two Parter) We know that the Karaethon Cycle and the Essanik Cycle are different. Is that because there were different contributors to each, or some other reason (like tampering by Ishy)? Which is more correct?

jana
11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
sorry for flooding you live :P

Terez
11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Could you clarify the 'gauntlet' thing? The detail was introduced in books 4-6? The detail has been present in books since? The detail will come to light in Towers of Midnight?

I'm not sure if Brandon was vague on these things, or just the person who paraphrased the question/answer.

Isabel
11-03-2009, 11:45 AM
So who is the next person going to a signing? :)

Neilbert
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
My guess would be YES, with his influence through the Black Ajah. It totally seems like an Ishy plot. Please ask that question even though its likely a RAFO or a BS "I have no idea, I'd have to ask Charleston" (IHNIIHTAC)

I've always wondered why there are three Oaths. It seems to me that you could just swear not to tell a lie on the oath rod, and then swear the other two just using words and they would be just as binding without the lifespan cut in half deal.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Isabel, I am considering going to the one in Dayton OH on 11/11. I got a signed book, but I would like it personalized, and now that I have read it twice and followed his comments on the signings and Facebook, I would very much like to meet him in person.

So maybe.

Weird Harold
11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I've always wondered why there are three Oaths. It seems to me that you could just swear not to tell a lie on the oath rod, and then swear the other two just using words and they would be just as binding without the lifespan cut in half deal.

The Oath against lieing is actually the third oath to be imposed, although it was renamed the First Oath.

IIRC, the Oath against making Weapons is the true "First" Oath.

The Oaths could easily be replaced to "Obey the Bylaws of the White Tower as Published and Ammended Annually" and a single Oath could be modified to suit political and strategic needs on a paeriodic basis.

Belazamon
11-03-2009, 02:18 PM
The Oaths could easily be replaced to "Obey the Bylaws of the White Tower as Published and Ammended Annually" and a single Oath could be modified to suit political and strategic needs on a paeriodic basis.
What happens to women like Cadsuane who duck out of the Tower for a few decades? ;)

Weird Harold
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
What happens to women like Cadsuane who duck out of the Tower for a few decades? ;)
It should be easy enough to post the Bylaws world-wide. It isn't necessary for every Aes Sedai to gather at Tar Valon for the Annual Reading of the Bylaws.

As long as an Aes Sedai keeps a mail drop current and checks it once a year, she should be fairly current on Bylaws that are only going to change every century or so. :D

Davian93
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Caddy can just check their website: (www.whitetower.tarvalon.gov/bylaws/NE999)

Gokum
11-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Wrong, from the Budapest Q&A (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dcjspjqg_101f6s22v73&hl=en)

Q: Can you sever a person from the True Power with One Power?

RJ: Not in the same way. If you try to gentle a man or still a woman who's capable of using the True Power you'd have to use another method.

Well, the Wise Ones were in Arad Doman then, and Graendal did a large amount of harm within greater Arad Doman. So it's within reason they can notice they effects. Besides Rand did pull in a huge amount of Saidin to destroy that fortress, probably close to what he did at the Cleansing of the Taint.

You should reread chapter 47 "The One He Lost" then:

"But he had a better tool now. The most powerful tool ever created; surely no human could hold more of the One Power than he had when cleansing saidin. Burning Graendal and Natrin´s Barrow away had required only a fraction of what Rand could summon.

WinespringBrother
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Pam has the signing on Friday in Philadelphia, and mine is this coming Monday.

GonzoTheGreat
11-04-2009, 06:02 AM
As long as an Aes Sedai keeps a mail drop current and checks it once a year, she should be fairly current on Bylaws that are only going to change every century or so. :DWhat happens if someone makes a mistake, and two of those Bylaws come into conflict with each other?
You might see all AS worldwide drop dead before anyone can gather the Hall to work out a patch, which might be just a bit ... actually, good idea. Let's implement it. :D

Matoyak
11-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Caddy can just check their website: (www.whitetower.tarvalon.gov/bylaws/NE999 (http://www.whitetower.tarvalon.gov/bylaws/NE999))ERROR 404 NOT FOUND. NO LAWS EXIST.

~Aes Sedai drop dead from lack of structure~

Davian93
11-04-2009, 07:16 AM
ERROR 404 NOT FOUND. NO LAWS EXIST.

~Aes Sedai drop dead from lack of structure~

Well clearly, the WT web support people have dropped the ball.

Belazamon
11-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Well clearly, the WT web support people have dropped the ball.
Shoulda gotten Moghedien instead of Mesaana.

FelixPax
11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Wrong, from the Budapest Q&A (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dcjspjqg_101f6s22v73&hl=en)

Q: Can you sever a person from the True Power with One Power?

RJ: Not in the same way. If you try to gentle a man or still a woman who's capable of using the True Power you'd have to use another method.

That's not the particular question I had in mind, Gokum. The focus was on 'healing' the damage caused, not this Budapest interview which focused on causing individuals to become 'severing', whether from the TP or OP.

You should reread chapter 47 "The One He Lost" then:

"But he had a better tool now. The most powerful tool ever created; surely no human could hold more of the One Power than he had when cleansing saidin. Burning Graendal and Natrin´s Barrow away had required only a fraction of what Rand could summon.

What percent is "only a fraction"? It's a vague amount, which could be almost any number, be it .0001% to 49% for example. This isn't the first place in tGS that Brandon became vague, far from it.

Belazamon
11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
What percent is "only a fraction"? It's a vague amount, which could be almost any number, be it .0001% to 49% for example. This isn't the first place in tGS that Brandon became vague, far from it.
Generally speaking (in English at any rate), the phrase "only a fraction" implies a small fraction - that's why the word "only" is used specifically.

The More You Know...

FelixPax
11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Generally speaking (in English at any rate), the phrase "only a fraction" implies a small fraction - that's why the word "only" is used specifically.

The More You Know...

Well, to use a somewhat similar example in tGS. Egwene "was able to grab a faint trickle of the Power. It was tiny, perhaps the least amount of the Power she'd ever channeled." (pg 622 tGS); yet look at what she was able to do once a novice circle and the most powerful sa'angreal in the White Tower was in her hands.

Rand is first far more powerful as we once saw in the Stone in Tear than Egwene. Rand isn't full of forkroot. Rand is far more skilled and has more power than a year prior. Rand has an sa'angreal that every Chosen dreams of having and fears to death if someone else had it. This is part of the reasons why, I suggested earlier that Asmodean may be alive via a Balefire mechanism if Graendal did the act in Caemlyn.

Of course, Brandon seems to thrown water on this suggestion in SLC interview. I still think Brandon could of been more forthright or have given a better example, say like Bela's own deductive proof example.

Only a faction of almost infinite One Power from the Creator, is still a huge number. ;)

nameless
11-06-2009, 01:17 AM
I think this is exactly the sort of thing Brandon had in mind when he answered the question about whether sa'angreal worked by adding a fixed amount of power to your total ability or multiplying by a factor of your original ability. He says he's pretty sure (but not 100%) that it's the fixed amount.

Incidentally, wasn't there something about this in the Bowl of Winds chapter from Path of Daggers? Elayne holding a weak angreal and thinking "I'm strong with this, but Nynaeve would be even stronger?" Although I guess it doesn't matter if the formula is "angreal reservoir + base ability" or "angreal amplification factor X base ability" since Nynaeve would end up the stronger of the two either way.

Leanne
11-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I am going to the Philadelphia signing. I will be online until about 2:00. If there is anything you are dying to know or get RAFO'd let me know.

EDIT :Tonight - 7PM

Marie Curie 7
11-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Okay, so did anyone else wonder what Siuan and Leane did when they had to "remove" the Oaths and then reswear them?

We know that Siuan and Leane have not been subject to the Three Oaths since their stillings. But since Egwene required all the sisters to remove the oaths, each sister seemed to express some sort of discomfort at removing the oaths. So apparently Siuan and Leane just had to fake it... and that seems somewhat...unsatisfactory.

jason wolfbrother
11-07-2009, 12:39 AM
it's always unsatisfying when she has to fake it. ;)

JSUCamel
11-07-2009, 01:51 AM
it's always unsatisfying when she has to fake it. ;)

You would know ;)

Tercel
11-08-2009, 06:24 PM
It is my belief that Moiraine's letter to Thom contains coded instructions. Deciphering it is impossible without having an approximate idea of what sort of coding scheme might be in use.

So, if anyone gets a chance, can someone please ask BS the following question:

"We have heard 'codes' and 'ciphers' mentioned by many characters many times throughout the books. Have you had to do any background research in this area? What particular types of codes and ciphers are used?"

I think that's broad enough that Sanderson will give an answer rather than a RAFO. I am unable to find any indications that RJ or BS have ever been asked this sort of question before (other than RJ commenting that some of his favorite books were about codes and ciphers).

So, if anyone can ask BS that question, I will be happy. :)

Nightstrike
11-10-2009, 01:06 AM
I have wondered about lots of things that almost certainly are RAFOs. You can judge which ones to ask, since you're more experienced with that than I am. I wouldn't wanna vaste Brandon's (or your) time with the wrong ones to ask.

Men use fire & spirit to weave gateways, but women use only spirit. I assume that that might cause men to have an "gateway size advantage"? Is that correct?

Are there "several" or "a couple" of levels difference between men's and women's strength? Maybe that differs between difference between the strongest ones of each gender, and between the average of each gender (curves aren't symmetrical)?

Are the strength distribution curves for any of the genders symmetrical/asymmetrical? (I think they are probably both asymmetrical)

Oh, maybe I should explain why I wanted to ask the third question - whether both male & female strength distribution curves are symmetrical, from weakest to strongest of their genders - it's mainly because of RJ's blog post (see below). That, and other things, has led me to believe that the average for women is far below half of the strongest woman's strength.

I just thought I should explain myself. Probably a RAFO, but you never know...

For Gyrehead, Foretelling is not related to strength. The weakest possible channeler could Foretell as strongly as Elaida or Nicola, or perhaps even more so, depending entirely on the strength of his or her Talent for Foretelling. The three Red Sitters were sent into exile in 985 NE under Marith Jaen. Yes, Morgase has slowed, and that is exactly why there is so much emphasis on her looking only ten years older than Perrin when she has children the ages of Elayne and Gawyn. Regarding the percentage of women who could test for the shawl, it would be 62.5% of the bellcurve. I’ll leave the maths to you for an idle moment. The question doesn’t really apply to men, since the Black Tower accepts anyone who can learn to channel, but if the White Tower limits were applied, it would be roughly 65.4% of the bellcurve. Although, considering the effectiveness question, they should probably set it at the same 62.5%. Again, the maths are all yours. Regarding the levels of male strength, while the weakest man and the weakest woman would be roughly equivalent, you might say that there are several levels of male strength on top of the female levels. Remember to integrate this with what I’ve said elsewhere about effectiveness, though.

Terez
11-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Perhaps someone could ask if Egwene's Seanchan woman and running person dreams have been fulfilled?

drakenwulf
11-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm going to the signing in phoenix on monday. if anybody has a question they would like me to ask then speak up, I can't think of anything intelegent myself. so pm me if you'd like and I'll post the response I get here, if I get a chance to ask it.

Matoyak
11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Turns out I might be able to make it to the signing in Dallas this Saturday. Any questions that need asking? Any tips on when I should get there? (AKA, do I need ta get there early or sommat like that?)

Terez
11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Turns out I might be able to make it to the signing in Dallas this Saturday. Any questions that need asking?
^^^

Matoyak
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
^^^Duly noted. Any others in case that gets asked or something crazy happens?

Terez
11-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Dunno, would you be willing to ask a Lews Therin question? If so, ask him why the voice was gone when Rand was in Tel'aran'rhiod. Well, we know it's because the pieces of himself fit together better there, but maybe he'll say something else about it. And as a follow-up question, ask him if the same would be the case if Rand went to Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh.

I'd say the question about the dreams would take priority tho. He's been pretty reticent on Lews Therin, but he has confirmed that the Rand-beggar vision is fulfilled, so there's a good chance he'll answer the dream question straight out.

Isabel
11-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Mayo: Confirm again that in RJ's notes there wasn't anything that said if LTT was real or not.
and can you confirm that RJ didn't intend to reveal anything about it?

GonzoTheGreat
11-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Terez, I don't think that the meeting with Elan took place in TAR. More importantly, perhaps: Rand thinks that it didn't, he remarks to himself that it feels differently.
Which is ironical, in a way: when Ishamael was trying to figure out which of the three boys was LTT, he did so in a place where that would be less easy to determine than almost anywhere else we know of.

Matoyak
11-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Mato: Confirm again that in RJ's notes there wasn't anything that said if LTT was real or not.
and can you confirm that RJ didn't intend to reveal anything about it?fix'd

And I might be able to do that. I'm not a big fan of the real vs. construct debate, but I guess I can try to confirm that. Also, it's Mato. :cool:

Gonzo, so what, was it in a Vacuole or something?

GonzoTheGreat
11-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Gonzo, so what, was it in a Vacuole or something?Good question, to which we can only answer: we do not know.

Until tGS, we had not much reason to doubt the seemingly obvious assumption that it happened in TAR. I think there is one Forsaken meeting which takes place in a similar (or the same) place, and of that it is thought by one of the Forsaken that it is close to Shayol Ghul. But I don't think that we had been given reason to think that is where Ishamael met the boys, until this scene.

Terez
11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I think it's probably the 'near Shayol Ghul' bit that makes it feel different.

Yellowbeard
11-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm probably going to a signing tonight w/ BS (and Harriet I think) in a 'burb NE of Atlanta.

Looking for a suggestion on questions. Not sure which from this thread have been asked already.

Terez
11-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Well, there's a faction war you could put to rest. Ask him if all Heroes are ta'veren at some point when they are spun out, or not. In other words, is ta'veren the means by which Heroes are 'corrective mechanisms', or are they corrective mechanisms in some other way?

Matoyak
11-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, there's a faction war you could put to rest. Ask him if all Heroes are ta'veren at some point when they are spun out, or not. In other words, is ta'veren the means by which Heroes are 'corrective mechanisms', or are they corrective mechanisms in some other way?Faction war has been put to rest. Heroes are not always Ta'veren. Go looky at the Dallas Signing thread for more info. :)

jason wolfbrother
11-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Thx for asking that question Mato :)

Terez
11-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Most of these are from factions. Some aren't.

Did the reintegration constitute a 'death' for Lews Therin? Does this fulfill Min's touch/merge viewing? Does this fulfill the 'Finns' 'to live you must die'?

In the Age of Legends, was Lanfear artificially enhanced to be either stronger in the Power, or more beautiful?

Why is Lanfear weaker in the Power now that she's been transmigrated as Cyndane?

Was the Warder bond originally created as an attempt to control male channelers?

Did Verin have anything to do with Alanna bonding Rand?

One previous (and contested) signing report says that RJ stated the time loop trap (with the flies) in The Great Hunt was set by Fain. Is this true?

In the lives where Heroes don't do 'anything extraordinary' (BS's words), are they still 'corrective mechanisms'?

Can Darkfriends be Heroes of the Horn? (I think this is a dumb question, but some people actually argue that they can be.)

Was Tuon already aware that sul'dam could learn to channel, or did she just learn that after arriving on the Randland continent?

Are the gholam also immune to the True Power?

Possible RAFOs, but it can't hurt to ask:

Since all of the rebels' ter'angreal were confirmed missing, why was Sheriam missing a finger (or possibly more than one finger)?

Can burned-out channelers be Healed?

Is the Book of Translation a guide to the Portal Stones?

Did transmigration (as in, the way some Forsaken were brought back from the dead) have anything to do with the way Slayer was made?

Is Taim a new Forsaken?

Who sent the Shadowspawn attack to Lord Algarin's manor?

I have a friend who is going to a signing tomorrow - if he gets answers to any of these, I'll edit the post to remove the questions.

GonzoTheGreat
11-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Are the gholam also immune to the True Power?Bonus question: how about Mat with his fox head medallion?

Terez
11-16-2009, 08:37 AM
RJ RAFO'd that one, but I suppose it won't hurt to ask again.

Belazamon
11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Question: Did Rand gain access to the True Power via his "strange link" with Moridin, or did he access it some other way?

I'm sure it's up there somewhere, but I'm lazy. I'm also pretty sure it'll get a RAFO, but I'd like to at least get that before I start a faction about it. ;)

Yuri33
11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Actually, I remember a rather involved debate between myself and Marie about the CK, and why the female CK broke without the male one breaking. Now that they are both gone, maybe BS is willing to tell us why.

Marie claimed that there was a flaw in the female CK. I claimed there was more stress on the female CK because of the involvement of Rand, an inexperienced saidar weaver.

It's also interesting to note that while we all thought the CK were being used to their limit during the Cleansing, that was apparently not the case:

TGS, Veins of Gold:
"Why?" Rand whispered to the twisting winds around him. The Power coming to him through the access key was greater than he'd held when cleansing saidin. Perhaps greater than any man had ever held. Great enough to unravel the Pattern itself and bring final peace.

Matoyak
11-16-2009, 07:18 PM
but I'd like to at least get that before I start a faction about it. ;)Apparently factions might be having issues right now...if you can get one to go through, I'll be jealous.

Belazamon
11-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Apparently factions might be having issues right now...if you can get one to go through, I'll be jealous.
Oh, I was just assuming that there was going to be a hiatus on new-book factions for a while yet.

Matoyak
11-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh, I was just assuming that there was going to be a hiatus on new-book factions for a while yet.Well, mine isn't new book based...and it still hasn't appeared in the "Pending" section of the "my factions" page...I'm going to email Tam later tonight and see if I can get a response...

Terez
11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
He supposedly fixed this problem a few weeks ago. When did you submit it? I had the same problem, but then he supposedly fixed it, and I resubmitted the faction (Rand Will Die), and now it's up of course.

Matoyak
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
He supposedly fixed this problem a few weeks ago. When did you submit it? I had the same problem, but then he supposedly fixed it, and I resubmitted the faction (Rand Will Die), and now it's up of course.Uhhh... ~goes and checks in my IM histories~
11/12/2009 So 4 days ago, at like 1 or 2 in the morning. Hmmm...I was thinking it had been longer than that.

Terez
11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Weird. Yeah, definitely bring it to his attention that the problem is back.

Also, I have a friend who is going to the signing tomorrow in CA, and he's going to try to clear up the Mesaana contradiction. I also gave him the list I posted above, but told him that the priority should definitely be the Mesaana confusion.

GonzoTheGreat
11-17-2009, 02:30 AM
It's also interesting to note that while we all thought the CK were being used to their limit during the Cleansing, that was apparently not the case:Which no doubt freaked out quite a lot of asha'man and the remaining male Forsaken. Would've been interesting to see what they thought was going on.

Matoyak
11-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Which no doubt freaked out quite a lot of asha'man and the remaining male Forsaken. Would've been interesting to see what they thought was going on.I bet we get a CoT style repeat of that sequence of events showing just that.

Weird Harold
11-19-2009, 12:54 AM
I don't recall how long ago it was that RJ said there were no female ta'veren in the series, although female ta'veren are possible. IIRC, it was in response to a question of whether Egwene was ta'veren.

I'm just reading Egwene's meeting with Meidani and Meidani's reactions -- as well as the reactions of the other three Aes Sedai Egwene had lessons with earlier -- look a lot like ta'veren effect.

So, Has Egwene become ta'veren since RJ denied she was ta'veren or has the ta'veren effect of having three ta'veren abroad in the world assisted her dealings with the tower Aes Sedai.

An ancillary question: Is Egwene's Soul bound to the Horn of Valere; Is she a "Hero Incarnate."

Tree Brother
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Is Egwene's Soul bound to the Horn of Valere; Is she a "Hero Incarnate."

When the Horn was sounded, only non-channellers appeared, correct? We know the Dragon is a Hero, and a channeller. How many Heroes can channel?

Terez
11-19-2009, 12:01 PM
We don't know that all of them were non-channelers. It seems likely that at least a few of them are.

Tree Brother
11-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Hmm. Many are described with their weapons, and there was the comment "Is that all there are?". I suppose there could have been a channeler hidden among them.

Weird Harold
11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
When the Horn was sounded, only non-channellers appeared, correct? We know the Dragon is a Hero, and a channeller. How many Heroes can channel?
Just under a hundred Heroes showed up at Falme, but only about a dozen were identified. We have no idea of who the other heroes might be or what their abilities are.

I'd be very surprised to find that Rand was the only Hero with the ability to Channel.

My question is more about the ta'veren-like improbabilities in Egwene's storyline -- especially when dealing with the BA Hunters/Sitters.

Belazamon
11-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Well, since we know channeling is a matter of channeling soul + channeling genes, it's entirely possible that none of them can channel in their aspect as a Hero of the Horn.

Yuri33
11-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Even if there were channelers there, I got the impression that they were all using weapons--weapons that were "enhanced" like Birgette's arrows. The OP couldn't touch them when they were charging the Seachan. It would be a little "unfair" if the channelers among the Heroes were able to hit the Seanchan unfettered.

Matoyak
11-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Weird. Yeah, definitely bring it to his attention that the problem is back.Have there been any updates on this? Tam hasn't replied to any of my emails, so I have no knowledge of what be going on :)

Terez
11-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Well, Jason did some work today (obviously), so you can always try it. If it shows up in your pending factions, then he fixed it.

Matoyak
11-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Well, Jason did some work today (obviously), so you can always try it. If it shows up in your pending factions, then he fixed it.That'd be a negatory. :(

Terez
11-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Oh well. Tam is aware of the problem, but sometimes reminding him helps. :)

RDDK
09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
1) How is a Sept Chief chosen, and do they visit Rhuidean like the clan Chief's do?

2) Is it possible that any Channelers from the Age of Legends put themselves into Stasis boxes to last through the Breaking or even the War of Power?

3)How did the Aiel choose Wise Ones other than those who could channel/dream?