PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Seeker
10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
That was, hands down, the best book in the series. I mean I didn't think that any Wheel of Time book was going to top The Great Hunt, but that was awesome.

Zaela Sedai
10-29-2009, 08:10 PM
wasn't it though? :D

Davian93
10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
I liked TSR, FoH and LoC more. Not to take anything away from TGS. TDR and TGH are also great

The Black Wind
10-29-2009, 09:51 PM
I'll say this about The Gathering Storm, it had the best ending since The Great Hunt. And every single POV from Rand or Egwene was absolutely compelling to me as a reader. There were no boring parts in their story arcs. Loved it! :)

Ivhon
10-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I thought it was really really good. Not the best.

I could definitely tell the difference in author - sometimes in unfortunate ways. I thought the dialogue was stilted at some points and I thought Rand was flattened somewhat.

On the other hand, I think I only saw "livery" once and there was very little knuckling of anything at all.

Davian93
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I was disappointed by the lack of dress descriptions.

Dragon Thief
10-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I think it's actually my favorite book as well.

I could tell a difference between styles, but 90% of the time it didn't matter. The only thing I didn't like was Mat's dialogue - while he acted the same, to me he spoke as a completely different person. Kind of like how some mentioned Elayne knew the words to swear by not not really how to use them, that's how I feel about the writing for Mat.

Sodas
10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Not my favorite book. Granted, it moved faster than any Jordan book, but felt like it lacked the depth I was accustomed.

Obviously, my favorites continue to be Lord of Chaos and the Shadow Rising. Followed by the Fires of Heaven, and Knife of Dreams.

Isabel
10-29-2009, 11:08 PM
It's also not my favourite book. I really enjoyed it, but it missed the depth of RJ.

FelixPax
10-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I was disappointed by the lack of dress descriptions.

Oh, the ever famous trademark "bust" descriptions? Yes, they did seem to be lacking....

Brita
10-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Loved it!!! LOVED IT!!!!

There were obvious differences, but the story id being told- and what a story!!!

~~sighs in utter satisfaction~~

NargsBrood
10-30-2009, 01:18 AM
I finally found people who share my view of this book being the best! (granted i havent read many threads today)

I didnt think any book would ever top The Great Hunt... this one finally does IMHO!

I didnt care about the different voice... the minor differences with Mat...

What I enjoyed was the 50 million climaxes through out the book. The Great Hunt had maybe a few climaxes...

It was like.... like constant orgasms... from start to finish.

I am still on my high!

Wunderwaffe
10-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Just finished it. Don't have words atm. Need to sleep.

tworiverswoman
10-30-2009, 02:59 AM
I'm still on the "just-finished" high.

I can't say I have a "favorite" book - though it's possible that Book One holds that spot. My LEAST favorite has always been Crossroads of Twilight -- but that was MAINLY because I felt exhausted and frustrated at the end of it - like I'd been treading water for DAYS and was no nearer the shore.

But any of you who spoke with scorn of Brandon Sanderson's ability to do a good job before you'd read a word of this book deserve a meeting with Silvina for your lack of ... something. I'll think of a word.

This book was fantastic. I loved every damn page!:D

And I cannot WAIT for the next two books!!!

And will grieve when I get them, since it will finally be over and done. Dammit.

Callandor
10-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I really enjoyed it. Not my favorite book, but quite good overall. The weirdest character to me was Mat. He seemed like a caricature here. One chapter his swear words were Burn me, the other it was Bloody ashes. Like every 2 words. I know he curses, but it just seemed really stilted to me. Shame.

My biggest complaint is this:

We've known previously that there were chronological breaks in the series. When I read through the first 9 books the first time, I didn't notice many of the threads being terribly far ahead of one another (with rare exceptions like the Sevanna in ACOS being a backtrack to Dumai's Wells). I know that they were now, with Rand, Mat, Perrin, and Egwene's timelines all being different time lengths.

CoT finished that by giving us the unifying day for everyone.

But this book... it was quite a change to read about how Rand kept seeing Mat in Caemlyn when he wasn't. Then to read about Perrin being with Morgase and Galad (especially comin from Tam, that was surreal to me), with nothing from Perrin in it.

I know they broke apart some lines to get the book to its proper ending (and that was quite fantastic), but it just still seemed a bit rough there.

I loved the chapter with Rand and Moridin going back to their dream duels. I was very ambivalent about Hinderstap initially, but actually quite love that part. Semirhage breaking was fun, but at the same time it seemed too quick. But that was the point of it, so it worked alright. Good death.

As for content: Halima as the controller -- alas, but not a terrible surprise. Even screwed it up with Sheriam being black.

Where Verin Went -- what the hell? And I was rather proud of that one. I'm glad effectively no one got this right, while also people did somewhat get it right on three different accounts. But what a badass.

Ajah Heads -- awesome. Though I don't believe we've truly got an answer to who betrayed Egwene. Sheriam seems like the fall girl just out of expediency.

And Mesaana, Mesaana, Mesaana, where are you crafty lady?

And then there was something else... I thought it dealt with a very important character. Tall fellow? Oh, I'll never remember what that one was....

http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/pimp.gif

Terez
10-30-2009, 03:27 AM
The timing doesn't bother me so much. It wasn't nearly as confusing as Hyam Kinch.

Oh, and I'm guessing that Mesaana came looking for Sheriam and figured out what was up, hence the Tower Blacks jumping ship. They only left the weak ones behind - my guess is they went to the Black Tower. The confrontation there is next up, along with Ghenjei and the Caemlyn reunion (which looks like it will happen before Ghenjei now).

Birgitte
10-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Loved it!!! LOVED IT!!!!

There were obvious differences, but the story is being told- and what a story!!!

~~sighs in utter satisfaction~~

Ditto. Every word. Especially about the story actually being told.

This is definitely my favorite book. Some of the earlier ones come very, very close, but not quite there.

Belazamon
10-30-2009, 06:12 PM
The timing doesn't bother me so much. It wasn't nearly as confusing as Hyam Kinch.
People keep saying that. Was I seriously the only one who wasn't confused by those few chapters? :confused:

Jokeslayer
10-30-2009, 06:26 PM
People keep saying that. Was I seriously the only one who wasn't confused by those few chapters? :confused:

No, I thought it was pretty straightforward.

Terez
10-30-2009, 06:35 PM
I wasn't all that confused by it, but it was made a big deal of, and the timing overlaps in this book were not even as confusing as that.

jason wolfbrother
10-31-2009, 04:23 AM
Top 3 definitely. Nothing will top LoC and Dumai's Wells for me. And EotW is still right there too. No complaints at all from me. Yes I noticed Mat read differently. But I didn't expect the whole book to sound like RJ. BS even said in the forward that he would try to imitate RJ because it couldn't be done. Instead he would try to stay true to the souls of the characters. And I think he succeeded admirably.

lurk
11-01-2009, 04:46 PM
after finishing it in a record time for a WOT-book I was very very content.

Fast paced, serious action, overall style similar to RJ.

- Excellent part about Egwene in the tower, loved it. One badass amyrlin, even able to be a critic towards herself (so NOT Aes Sedai :) ) great!
- The storyline of the attack, Yes WH very well done ;)
- Rand meeting Moridin in TAR
- balefiring two female forsaken YAY!
- using the TP to beat the sad bracelets YAY!
- finally the connection between de DR and the land remembered. Excellent new ground for nice theories
- Mat in love, not able to deal with his feelings LOL!
- Cadsuane losing some of her obnoxious air YAY!

What I missed (yes I know other books other books ;) )
- Lan and the flying of the golden crane (one of my favourite parts in KOD)
- Perrin meeting the WC (especially Briar and young Bornhald, oooh the anticipation...)
- More battles with Mat ;)

Enigma
11-01-2009, 04:58 PM
The last few books are never going to be as good as if RJ had done them himself but saying that it was a great read. Some of the depth was missing in places but it got the story across. I suspect that if RJ had lived to finish the books himself these last volumes would be the best in the series.

Personally I think BS captured Rand and Egwene very well, not to mention Nynaeve. Aviendha was a bit off, did she even speak to Rand the man she loves? Mat was different as well but I think BS had said that Mat is a changing. Before he was the one who left the women but now he is in love and she has left him and he is not sure how to deal with it.

Its funny that there was no mention of Logain, nor of the Eldar Haman who joined up with Rand. Reading Rand's parts was horrible, at least for me but I think it was meant to be as we saw him literally descend into hell. The channeling of the TP was a high point but the best was when Rand his his awakening at Dragonmout. That was one of the best endings ever.

Tirade
11-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Great book, I must say. I'm not going to gush about all things i loved, there's so much to like.

I only had a few complaints...

Egwene: It really felt like Egwene became a Taveran for a short time there. Every single thing she said was exactly the right thing to say and everything she did was exactly the right thing to do. She made NO mistakes. Everything seemed to line up too neatly before her. There were setbacks, sure, but then the setbacks proved to be exactly the thing that needed to happen.

It was satisfying and fun to see Egwene win, but a few times I just found myself saying, "oh, come on, no one as young as she is can perform so flawlessly in EVERY situation." It just became too much.

RAND: I really didn't understand the end on Dragonmount. I don't think the description of his thoughts clearly illustrated how he came to his conclusions. It was all so abstract - and the biggest factor of all in his change seemed to be a need to want to undo mistakes from former lives. Really? He needed a major catharsis to come to THAT conclusion? There was something in there about loving again too, but if it was based on anyone in particular, it would be Illyana.

So how did a desire to undo the mistakes of his past lives and a desire to love again lead him to destroy the key and laugh again? One doesn't seem to follow the other. And Lews is now gone forever from his mind? HUH? Why? it's so unclear why that is.

BS needs to really work on his "big inspiring speeches". I found Egwene's big speech and Rand's final soliloquy both thoroughly underwhelming. Granted neither of the characters had time to prepare a well crafted speech. But I found them both stilted and almost painful at times.

Mat's voice also needs much work as has been commented here several times.

Terez
11-02-2009, 05:14 PM
RAND: I really didn't understand the end on Dragonmount. I don't think the description of his thoughts clearly illustrated how he came to his conclusions. It was all so abstract - and the biggest factor of all in his change seemed to be a need to want to undo mistakes from former lives. Really? He needed a major catharsis to come to THAT conclusion? There was something in there about loving again too, but if it was based on anyone in particular, it would be Illyana.

So how did a desire to undo the mistakes of his past lives and a desire to love again lead him to destroy the key and laugh again? One doesn't seem to follow the other. And Lews is now gone forever from his mind? HUH? Why? it's so unclear why that is.
Are you familiar with construct theory? That might explain a few things. He has been feeding all of his suppressed thoughts and emotions into 'Lews Therin's voice' for some time now. He needed to realize that he was Lews Therin before he could finally face what he did in the past, and then he needed to find a reason to live again. Now that the 'voice' is gone, he won't have a way of squashing his emotions. And Lews Therin isn't gone - Rand is Lews Therin, and always has been. The 'voice' is gone, and the 'voice' was essentially a psychological disorder all along.

That was probably my favorite moment of the entire book.

Tirade
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes, I can understand how he and LT have become the same person now, but what I DON'T see is how that led him to the conclusions that he didn't need the Chodan-Kal and he could laugh again. Where did that insight come from? It's not explained. Rand STILL has all the same problems and pressures and betrayals to deal with that he had the day before.

All it all, it seems like nothing really has changed other then Rand's decided that being a ruthless, sociopath a-hole wasn't a great direction. So where does he go from here? Back to just being frustrated and angry all the time? Or is he going forward laughing, like it's all a joke? I don't really understand why this mountaintop moment is so majestically important to him winning the LB.

I'm sure there IS a great explaination, the point of my post is that is wasn't CLEARLY explained for the casual reader.

Brita
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
My theory is that he had come through his grieving for Illeyana ready to live again. He went through denial, bargaining, anger, depression and finally acceptance.

Crispin's Crispian
11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Yes, I can understand how he and LT have become the same person now, but what I DON'T see is how that led him to the conclusions that he didn't need the Chodan-Kal and he could laugh again. Where did that insight come from? It's not explained. Rand STILL has all the same problems and pressures and betrayals to deal with that he had the day before.
I think the laughter part was because of his integration with Lews Therin. Construct or not, he reintegrated that part of his soul into the rest. Plus I think he finally came to a conclusion for why he need to do what needs to be done. Up until this point, he had been going through the motions of fulilling prophecy and saving the world, without ever really understanding what he was doing. Duty is heavier than a mountain. Now he has figured out why he wants to do what needs to be done. He's now going to go willingly to his death rather than be boxed into it by external forces. That's rather critical.

As for why he destroyed the Choedan Kal...I'm not 100% clear on that. He was using it as a crutch throughout this book, perhaps in some way to cement his identity as the most powerful person in the world. It's possible that he realized he didn't need it to do what needed to be done, and it had become a liability.

Crispin's Crispian
11-02-2009, 05:57 PM
My theory is that he had come through his grieving for Illeyana ready to live again. He went through denial, bargaining, anger, depression and finally acceptance.
It would have been pretty cool if Moiraine came back to take him through a tour of what Randland would have been like without him.

"Moiraine, I want to live again! I want to live again!"

Terez
11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, I can understand how he and LT have become the same person now, but what I DON'T see is how that led him to the conclusions that he didn't need the Chodan-Kal and he could laugh again.
1. Technically they were always the same person.
2. He destroyed the Choedan Kal because it was too powerful - it should never have been created.
3. He laughed because the clouds had broken above Dragonmount, the same unnatural clouds that had been hanging around all this time. He had the ability to laugh because he stopped suppressing his emotions.

Where did that insight come from? It's not explained.
From the moment where he almost killed Tam. He had to do some self reevaluating at that time.

I don't really know how to explain it beyond that - it's pretty clear to me, so I don't understand the confusion.