PDA

View Full Version : The big black shadow looming

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
I am still puzzling over the blackness that everyone is noticing, and fearful about, surrounding Rand now.

Is it True Power related?

Is it because of the actual darkness that was emerging from his psyche? If so, is it gone now?

Is it related to Min's visions of the fireflies being swallowed by light? And Mat and Perrin?

I am curious to everyone's though on this as I had no, immediate, gut reaction to where exactly this would lead.

Zaela Sedai
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I do not believe we will see it anymore due to the internal battle he already one against the DO. Especially considering the passage from Egwene's POV about the sunlight finally coming through the clouds.

Thats just my take...I think it was proof the DO was winning and having an impact through Rand

The Black Wind
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
My first instinct was that it was caused by his dark psychological state being reflected through his ta'veren nature. But it resembles the darkness around Moridin when he draws on the true power. This seems a far more likely interpretation. The question is, why does the dark halo follow Rand around. I thought it was only there when you were drawing the True Power.

WinespringBrother
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe Nynaeve, who apparently noticed it more than anyone, can see it due to her Talent. And Rand could have been channeling at Tuon (I think he may have been anyway). Did anyone else see it?

Zaela Sedai
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Min, Caddy, it was mentioned in the Tam scene i THINK

The Black Wind
10-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Tuon saw it during their meeting

Zaela Sedai
10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
yeah i thought tuon was how this started... lol

jana
10-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Almost every time it's mentioned, the word temptest is mentioned.

I believe the first mention of "tempest" was in the meeting with Moridin, and the last one was when "the tempested ended" in Veins of Gold.

and I think the storm that Nynaeve was sensing was about Rand, not about the actual storm.

Belazamon
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I believe it is the touch of the Dark One, to which Rand left himself wide open by channeling the True Power.

The Black Wind
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM

That's what I get for skimming. :o

Belazamon
10-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Unless I missed something about what you're discussing... Nynaeve started seeing it around Rand immediately after he killed Semi.

Davian93
10-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I believe it is the touch of the Dark One, to which Rand left himself wide open by channeling the True Power.

That's my theory on it. That TP usage will have serious after effects that we haven't yet really fully seen. I think the next book will explore that more.

Zaela Sedai
10-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Lol wasn't saying Tuon saw it first she saw it last.... I said i thought this thread started cause of Tuon.... but I mixed it with another and then Windy just went with it LOL

Belazamon
10-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Lol wasn't saying Tuon saw it first she saw it last.... I said i thought this thread started cause of Tuon.... but I mixed it with another and then Windy just went with it LOL
Ah. I was just looking at the original post, I didn't realize the whole thread was an offshoot of another discussion elsewhere.

The Black Wind
10-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Yeah... too many threads at once and I get overwhelmed. :o

In regards to the dark halo the three theories I've heard are:

1) caused by Rand's dark psychological state

2) caused by Rand touching the True Power

3) caused by the DO influencing the pattern around rand.

The DO has this power either due to Rand's connection with Moridin, Rand's use of the TP, or Rand's Ta'veren nature.

I think option 2 is the most likely because we have seen similar effects of the true power on Moridin. However, one problem I have with this is no other forsaken has a dark halo that I've seen. IIRC, some of the forsaken used the TP during the war of power. Why no lingering dark halo for them?

Option one seems the least likely to me because I don't see any way that a psychological problem could manifest itself physically like this.

Option three seems plausible. It also seems like a more convoluted way to describe number 2.

Davian93
10-30-2009, 10:14 PM
The timing of it (Caddy and others notice it immediately after the TP usage) screams Option 2.

jason wolfbrother
10-31-2009, 03:45 AM
I'm in the Option 2 camp. Showed up after he tapped the TP for the first time. Shows up more obviously every time his icy exterior melts and he gives in to his anger and rage. We haven't seen it around other Forsaken, except Moridin, because none of them would dare to touch the TP without permission.

The part that gets me is that RJ said there are two things needed for TP usage. First you have to be able to channel. duh ;) but secondly The Dark One has to allow you to use it. He can prevent you from using the TP if he wants. He let Rand use the TP to free himself from the "e've" (still love that name ;)) and to kill Semirhage and Elza. The Dark One obviously didn't want Rand as a captive just yet.