PDA

View Full Version : Siuan: Fade to black?

Ivhon
10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
What is left for Siuan and Leanne (more Siuan)?

There is not much left to teach Egwene
Egwene has chosen what seems to be a more than adequate Keeper
Restored to Saidar and AS
Weak in Power
Somewhat disgraced

What of consequence is left for these characters? Somehow, running eyes and ears doesn't seem enough with only two books left - the time for new schemes is a bit past, I would think.
They aren't strong enough to be major players in battle.
They don't have any particularly relevant Talents at this point (ok..recognizing Taveren...so what, now).
Hopping on Bryne's horse and riding off into the sunset?

Seems like there should be more for these key characters, but I can't imagine what it would be. Leanne, in particular, has seemingly been done for two books now.

Davian93
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Siuan=Mistress of Novices. ;) As well as Egwene's confidant and friend in the Tower.

Ivhon
10-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Siuan=Mistress of Novices. ;) As well as Egwene's confidant and friend in the Tower.

I'd accept that if the series were over.

Davian93
10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd accept that if the series were over.

I don't see Siuan leaving Egwene's side as an advisor and there was the foreshadowing in the Egwene/Silviana conversation of Silviana finding a "strong capable woman able to handle a couple thousand novices". Seemed like a description of Siuan to me. Besides, it gives Egwene an excuse to meet with Siuan on a regular basis and not look like she's a puppet of the old Amyrlin.

jason wolfbrother
10-31-2009, 12:23 PM
I think Mistress of Novices would be a perfect place for Siuan. Leane is a problem though. I don't want to get rid of her but I don't really see much more for her to do either.

Ivhon
10-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't see Siuan leaving Egwene's side as an advisor and there was the foreshadowing in the Egwene/Silviana conversation of Silviana finding a "strong capable woman able to handle a couple thousand novices". Seemed like a description of Siuan to me. Besides, it gives Egwene an excuse to meet with Siuan on a regular basis and not look like she's a puppet of the old Amyrlin.

Im not doubting you. I just don't see that as particularly necessary as we approach the plot climax.

Egwene knows what she needs to know to be Amyrlin
Egwene understands the Seanchan much more
Egwene knows the Dragon personally much better
Neither have much knowledge of Asha'man

I don't know what is left in the plot for Tower-types beyond that (there is plenty left for post-TG stuff...but we won't really read about that save in the last 1-3 chapters).

Unless we assume that the novices and their mistress will play an heroic part at the end? Maybe...

I guess my point is that Mistress of Novices is thoroughly plausible, but at this point it seems like a write-off for the last two books. "Thanks for playing Siuan, you did a great job. Here's your reward. We'll see you when all this is over." I just don't see a scene involving the Mighty Mistress of Novices rising up near death to defeat...who? Mesaana, maybe? Im working here, and that is about all I can come up with.

Davian93
10-31-2009, 12:26 PM
I dont see it as necessary to the plot but I dont see any other place for Siuan at this point. Her story arc is done otherwise.

Leane is completely done, has been for a couple books now.

ShadowbaneX
10-31-2009, 12:32 PM
It seems to me that Siuan was...lamenting being chained to the Tower while Moiraine was running free. While she would be a good fit for the Mistress of Novices, she now has a Warder who's one of the Great-Captains and that Warder is likely going to be needed in the field very soon for Tarmon Gaidon.

Granted, it's possible for him to garrisoned in Tar Valon to hold against an attack there, or for them to be split up, but I could quite easily seeing Siuan and Bryne taking to the field in the near future. Perhaps once the series is over she might take up the Mistress of Novices position, but I could also see her in the field with Gareth for the Final Battle.

jason wolfbrother
10-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Oh she definitely won't be sitting out Tar'mon Gaidon at the White Tower. She will be on the front lines with her Warder. No question. She started her quest over 20 years ago and will see it through to the end. Even Gareth acknowledged it. They will both be right there for the Last Battle.

I see her taking the Mistress of Novices job after the Last Battle is done.

creepybob
11-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I think Leanne is going to be associated with Ash'aman in some way. She's been looking for warders, but still hasn't picked one up.

Siuan will continue to be Egwene's creature, from Andor, assuming Bryne survives TG. She'll either be involved in intelligence or act as Advisor to Andor, or both.

jason wolfbrother
11-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Why would Gareth Bryne go back to Andor? Elayne doesn't need him as Captain-General. She has Birgitte. Gareth's place is with his Aes Sedai. He already told her he would be waiting for her. There is nothing tying him to Andor or Caemlyn at all anymore. He severed those ties when Morgase exiled him, or actually when he accepted it internally while chasing Siuan, Leane, and Min.

I see him staying in Tar Valon, or wherever Siuan ends up. Not the other way around. He'll go where she goes,not her going where he goes.

creepybob
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Why would Gareth Bryne go back to Andor? Elayne doesn't need him as Captain-General. She has Birgitte. Gareth's place is with his Aes Sedai. He already told her he would be waiting for her. There is nothing tying him to Andor or Caemlyn at all anymore. He severed those ties when Morgase exiled him, or actually when he accepted it internally while chasing Siuan, Leane, and Min.

I see him staying in Tar Valon, or wherever Siuan ends up. Not the other way around. He'll go where she goes,not her going where he goes.

good point, i was just thinking of Bryne's estates

Marie Curie 7
11-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Mistress of Novices doesn't seem to fit with Siuan's character to me. She has always been good at scheming and manipulating and working with information - figuring out puzzles and such. It doesn't seem to me that she would take well to having to spend her time dealing with disciplining novices and Accepted for getting into trouble.

Speaking of Mistresses, I was surprised that Egwene didn't mention to Silviana that she currently has a Mistress of Novices among the rebels when the topic of replacing her as Mistress of Novices in the Tower came up. I get the impression that Tiana has not necessarily been the most effective Mistress in dealing with the hordes of novices and Accepted that the rebels have gathered, and without Sharina the organization of the novices and Accepted would probably have been pretty chaotic. However, since Egwene selected her Keeper from among the loyalists, it would seem to make some political sense for her to select a Mistress from among the rebels - perhaps Leane would fit this role better than Siuan, if Tiana isn't retained.

Enigma
11-01-2009, 12:49 PM
We don't really know a lot about what the world would be like after the Last Battle but I could see Siuan is some sort of ambassidor role for the WT to some important group such as the Seanchan or perhaps the BT.

I can't see her as a Sitter as her leadership left a lot to be desired and there are a lot of sisters on both sides who will probably blame her in part for the civil war. Also she regrets having spend most of her life in the Tower while Moiriane was out and about. Let her see a bit of the world.

lurk
11-01-2009, 03:31 PM
We don't really know a lot about what the world would be like after the Last Battle but I could see Siuan is some sort of ambassidor role for the WT to some important group such as the Seanchan or perhaps the BT.

I can't see her as a Sitter as her leadership left a lot to be desired and there are a lot of sisters on both sides who will probably blame her in part for the civil war. Also she regrets having spend most of her life in the Tower while Moiriane was out and about. Let her see a bit of the world.

Hey Brine needs some offspring he is getting old ;) :D

Terez
11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
@Marie - I think that Sharina will be getting raised to Aes Sedai very, very soon.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I think its a given that Tiana won't keep her position as Mistress of Novices. Remember Egwene had already sworn on the Oath Rod when she told Silviana to find a new Mistress of Novices. Egwene clearly feels that Tiana is not fit for the position and we've already seen that opinion during Egwene's KoD POVs.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
@Marie - I think that Sharina will be getting raised to Aes Sedai very, very soon.

I see this happening as well. Probably by the end of the books at the latest. Besides, she needs to become Lan's AS advisor in the reborn Malkier, right? (not really serious as I don't see that "future" happening like the Rings vision.

Zaela Sedai
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I think many will be raised quickly, as they were in the Trolloc Wars. They are going to need them for the LB

Davian93
11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I think many will be raised quickly, as they were in the Trolloc Wars. They are going to need them for the LB

Exactly. I could see Egwene raising pretty much all the current Accepted to replace the losses from the Seanchan Raid and then raising a good amount of the Novices to Accepted to keep pushing them. She could also start Forcing them as she was to build up numbers.

I doubt when the Last Battle comes that it will matter what the rank of each channeler as Egwene will likely continue the idea of mixed circles of 13 or more to use the Novices as best as possible regardless of their skill level. One full AS with 12 Novices can be quite the hammer in battle even without extra help from an angreal/sa'angreal.

Zaela Sedai
11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Exactly. I could see Egwene raising pretty much all the current Accepted to replace the losses from the Seanchan Raid and then raising a good amount of the Novices to Accepted to keep pushing them. She could also start Forcing them as she was to build up numbers.

I doubt she'll force as hard as the Black Tower, something tells me they wont allow for casualties regardless of the times. I definitely see Accepted being expected to fight, wonder if they will just raise them or send them as Accepted. I bet Novices will stay home. On the BT side, all will go regardless.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I doubt she'll force as hard as the Black Tower, something tells me they wont allow for casualties regardless of the times. I definitely see Accepted being expected to fight, wonder if they will just raise them or send them as Accepted. I bet Novices will stay home. On the BT side, all will go regardless.

I agree that they won't be forced as hard as the BT but they very well might be pushed as hard as say an Aiel WO apprentice or Egwene herself. A bit less coddling and perhaps more battle oriented training in keeping with the times.

I think the Novices will be part of the Last Battle. Much like the Women and children helped fight the battle of the Two Rivers and Manetheran before it, I don't see anyone being held back regardless of rank or training level.

1Powerslave
11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Until I read that Silviana was Egwene's new Keeper, I toyed with the idea of her and Tiana both becoming Mistress of Novices, as over a thousand Novices probably is too much for a single Aes Sedai to have time to handle/punish.

I really like Sharina becomming Nynaeves and Lan's advisor. But as stated above, the Accepted test doesn't seem to predict the future entirely correct. Beldeine will probably never be Egwene's Keeper I'm sure, for instance.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, they'll probably keep the Families system enacted by Sharina and set up a bit more of a formal system with additional Accepted to help with the Novices. There'll still likely be just one overall Mistress of Novices though.

bowlwoman
11-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Weak in Power

Seems like there should be more for these key characters, but I can't imagine what it would be. Leanne, in particular, has seemingly been done for two books now.

Has anyone kicked around the idea that they might regain their former strength by being restilled and then healed by an Asha'man? Would that work to restore them to their former powerful strengths, or would they be restored to their most recent (much weaker) strengths?

Davian93
11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Has anyone kicked around the idea that they might regain their former strength by being restilled and then healed by an Asha'man? Would that work to restore them to their former powerful strengths, or would they be restored to their most recent (much weaker) strengths?

Its been discussed at length. No real conclusion was made.

Zaela Sedai
11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I always think about that, worth a shot for sure.

I wonder if the Accepted ter'angreal is okay to use now...we haven't seen it in use for since then right?

Davian93
11-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I always think about that, worth a shot for sure.

I wonder if the Accepted ter'angreal is okay to use now...we haven't seen it in use for since then right?

Well, I think that Elaida had some Novices raised in her time as Amyrlin. I seem to recall that there were more there in KoD than there were previously before the Split when the SuperGirls were there.

Zaela Sedai
11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Thats right, I remember a few now too. It must be ok to use.

~looks for a few younglings to test it out on~

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2009, 10:10 PM

It's one of those things, similar to asking a channeler to try on an a'dam or one of those domination collars. Easier said then done, especially since you're asking them to be stilled again. I'm fairly certain that they don't want to go through that once, let alone twice and wouldn't be willing to go through it again, just for the chance that they might regain their power. "A bird in hand..." and all that.

kivo
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM

There is not much left to teach Egwene
Egwene has chosen what seems to be a more than adequate Keeper
Restored to Saidar and AS
Weak in Power
Somewhat disgraced

What of consequence is left for these characters? Somehow, running eyes and ears doesn't seem enough with only two books left - the time for new schemes is a bit past, I would think.
They don't have any particularly relevant Talents at this point (ok..recognizing Taveren...so what, now).
Hopping on Bryne's horse and riding off into the sunset?

She's spent the last 20 odd years preparing the world for TG and I think she'll see that through by advising Egwene as one of the few Egwene can truly trust. There's a reunion with Moiraine to be had.

I suspect she survives TG and then retires to Kore Springs to make babies with Bryne and live a relatively normal life.

Terez
11-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I think they'll travel the world, actually. That's what Siuan wants to do - she was always jealous of Moiraine who got to travel the world while she was stuck in the Tower, and she mentioned that again in this book.

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I think they'll travel the world, actually. That's what Siuan wants to do - she was always jealous of Moiraine who got to travel the world while she was stuck in the Tower, and she mentioned that again in this book.
I also mentioned it in post #6. =P

Yuri33
11-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Personal Spymaster to the Amyrlin? She was pretty darn good at that stuff once...

I also still think she's got some tutoring left for Egwene.

jana
11-02-2009, 01:18 AM
I agree with those saying that Sharina will be Mistress of Novices. I wouldn't be too surprised if she took the Accepted and Aes Sedai tests within days of each other (or if that seems redundant, she could skip the Accepted test completely). She's already proven herself to be more capable than Tiana.

Siuan will be Egwene's friend, and maybe retire at least for awhile after the LB. I'm sure we'll get PoVs from her during the LB.

I like the idea of Leane having an Asha'man Warder.

Wunderwaffe
11-02-2009, 01:38 AM

The Aes Sedai would have to be rather driven and extremely motivated to even consider this option. From what I understand, the pain of severing is one of the highest imaginable pains.

And there is unfortunately no instance of it ever working so the Aes Sedai would be taking a gamble. A gamble that could produce dividends, but a gamble nonetheless.

Terez
11-02-2009, 02:37 AM
I also mentioned it in post #6. =P
I also mentioned it on the Dragonmount spoilers thread before the book came out. Can I have a cookie?

Terez
11-02-2009, 02:40 AM
I agree with those saying that Sharina will be Mistress of Novices. I wouldn't be too surprised if she took the Accepted and Aes Sedai tests within days of each other (or if that seems redundant, she could skip the Accepted test completely). She's already proven herself to be more capable than Tiana. Yeah, I've been pushing for Sharina since before the book (others were saying Silviana, and though that made a certain amount of sense, I just couldn't help thinking Sharina was developed for the job). But I think Tiana sort of gets a bad rap. It's not that she's so bad at what she does....it's just that Sharina is so good, and she sort of took over. Tiana's worst fault is the fact that she allows herself to get irritated over it.

I also like the idea of Leane bonding an Asha'man, and I also like the idea of Bryne and Siuan hanging out in Cairhien with Moiraine and Thom between traveling. It's kinky.

ShadowbaneX
11-02-2009, 06:53 AM
no. =P

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I saw this thread title and thought...SOMEONE FOUND SOMETHING POINTING THAT SIUAN COULD STILL BE BA! You were just trying to torture me.

BOooooooooooOoo!

Anyway. Two things left for Siuan to do...1st, someone earlier in the books comments that Leane would follow Siuan to the slopes of Shayol Gul...I always used that as foreshadowing of them being BA. But, it still could be foreshrradowing. Siuan could head to Shayol Gul after puzzling out something Rand needs to know. It is mentioned in this book that the DO's plans for the Last Battle are nothing like what Rand expects. Siuan may puzzle it out and hand him answers. This is also supported by Bryne's comments that Siuan will never be happy to settle down until she has completed her tasks...and in this case it is the Last Battle.

Second thing...Siuan can sense Moiraine channeling. It was originally thought to be a mistake or a change by RJ when mentioned in an early book (sorry, I am tired from traveling and not ready to do a search for quotes!) that Siuan can sense Moiraine channeling, it tingles. Later it is explained away (in books 4-6? heheheh) that women who train closely over the years develop an affinity for each other's channeling. I know it was suggested years ago (by me? by someone? I don't recall) that Moir will show up in a new body, Rand will not trust whomever he "sees" and attempt to kill her and Siuan will shout NOOOO STOP IT IS MOIRAINE!!

well. I could be wrong.

FelixPax
11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I really like Sharina becomming Nynaeves and Lan's advisor. But as stated above, the Accepted test doesn't seem to predict the future entirely correct. Beldeine will probably never be Egwene's Keeper I'm sure, for instance.

Beldeine is likely a good candidate for a Black Ajah. Why? Egwene's accepted test, and because she was one of the Cairhien Aes Sedai subject to Compulsion by Verin. Her last scene in tGS in the Stone, I think was another hint about Beldeine's character: Black Ajah?

I agree Sharina should be getting raised up to a full Aes Sedai really, really soon. The next Mistress of Novices? Sharina, would be a good fit.

There's a possibility Nynaeve might meet Sharina another Caemlyn in the next book, because of missing Myrelle Berengari who was last known to be heading for the Black Tower:

Myrelle <-- Egwene knows she is missing at Black Tower
Myrelle <-- Lan would know if she's in danger or not
Myrelle <-- Nynaeve has been wanting to get Lan's bond

A wildcard here is, Verin's own Black Ajah notes on darkfriends, does it include Taim as I think it does?

Egwene I think would take Sharina with her to Caemlyn to receive the Sul'dam, Damane that Elayne currently has in the palace. Egwene could gain more information about the Black Tower from Elayne before seeing why Aes Sedai have disappeared after going into the place.

Terez
11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Beldeine is likely a good candidate for a Black Ajah. Why? Egwene's accepted test, and because she was one of the Cairhien Aes Sedai subject to Compulsion by Verin. Her last scene in tGS in the Stone, I think was another hint about Beldeine's character: Black Ajah?
That makes no sense whatsoever. How do those things point to her being Black?

Matoyak
11-04-2009, 04:30 AM
Personal Spymaster to the Amyrlin? She was pretty darn good at that stuff once...

I also still think she's got some tutoring left for Egwene.No stealing my ideas before I have them. It's unbecoming.

Davian93
11-04-2009, 07:23 AM
That makes no sense whatsoever. How do those things point to her being Black?

Because clearly if ONE of those AS was a black ajah then ALL of them are...right?

Seriously though, that doesn't really point to her being anything but an AS that was captured by Rand.

Marie Curie 7
11-06-2009, 11:51 PM
I think its a given that Tiana won't keep her position as Mistress of Novices. Remember Egwene had already sworn on the Oath Rod when she told Silviana to find a new Mistress of Novices. Egwene clearly feels that Tiana is not fit for the position and we've already seen that opinion during Egwene's KoD POVs.

Not sure what the fact that Egwene had already sworn the oaths has to do with anything. Here's what she says to Silviana:

TITLE: Gathering Storm
CHAPTER: To Be Forged Again

"Yes, Mother," Silviana said. Then, in a quieter voice. "I'm going to have to get used to a lot of things changing, I suspect."

"I'm afraid so," Egwene said. "Not the least of which will be the need to choose a proper Mistress of Novices, one who can deal with hundreds of new initiates - many of whom are not of the standard age. I've already begun the process of accepting for training any woman, no matter how old, who shows some measure of ability with channeling. I suspect that before long, the White Tower will be bursting at the seams with novices."

"I shall consider suggestions for a replacement quickly then, Mother," Silviana said.

There's nothing there that indicates that Egwene has completely eliminated Tiana from consideration. By "proper Mistress of Novices", Egwene most likely means a Mistress approved by both the rebels and the loyalists, in the same way that she required acceptance by both sides as Amyrlin. While I don't necessarily think that Tiana will retain the position of Mistress of Novices, I certainly don't believe that she is at all ruled out of consideration by Egwene's statement.

Yeah, I was going to say something more about Sharina in my previous post, but I decided against it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sharina ends up being raised to Aes Sedai very soon, and at that point making her Mistress of Novices would be a nice story, but really, I don't think thatís particularly realistic. Sharina is currently a novice. Although she is likely just waiting to be raised to Accepted because the rebels didn't have access to the testing ter'angreal, it would be really quite a stretch even with Egwene as Amyrlin for her to then more or less immediately be raised to Aes Sedai. I'm not saying that Sharina is not capable and a strong channeler and all that. I'm just saying that Egwene has a certain amount of political capital to expend right now as a result of her being formally raised Amyrlin of both the rebels and the loyalists and because of her performance during the Seanchan attack, but I'm not sure that spending it to get Sharina named Mistress of Novices is the way that she needs to spend it. We all know that there will be numerous Aes Sedai who will freak out that Sharina is being raised Aes Sedai in the first place, and then tack on naming her Mistress of Novices, and that's a whole other battle.

It seems to me that what would be more realistic would be for Sharina to be raised to Accepted. And then, instead of the typical Accepted duties of teaching novices and attending sisters and all that, Sharina's duties would be to assist the Mistress of Novices and continue to help organize the novices and Accepted. In essence, Sharina would then be like an Associate Mistress of Novices.

Terez
11-07-2009, 12:06 AM
It was a stretch for Nynaeve to never be a novice. And Sharina's potential is even greater than Nynaeve's was, not to mention her age, and the fact that she's already proven her capability as a Mistress of Novices. I think that Egwene's comment about 'one who can deal with hundreds of new initiates' points to Sharina.

nameless
11-07-2009, 12:15 AM
The Tower faction would never support her. Many in the Salidar faction don't support her and they've seen firsthand how talented she is.

Weird Harold
11-07-2009, 12:21 AM
The Tower faction would never support her. Many in the Salidar faction don't support her and they've seen firsthand how talented she is.
They would if Silviana made the choice.

That's probably why Egwene stated her requirements for the new MoN as she did. She didn't name Sharina or suggest Sharina, but as Silviana interviews Tiana and other candidates, Sharina's Role in the Family Structure the SAS use will come to light and make her the obvious choice; saving only the technicality of testing for Accepted and Aes Sedai to become MoN.

Some diehards will object, and Silviana might well give them a chance at managing the job -- most will back down and the few that don't won't last long as MoN.

Terez
11-07-2009, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't doubt if she had already been raised to Accepted by the time of Egwene's point of view....at the very least, soon after.

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 05:05 AM
I think that the Mistress of Novices would need to have quite a lot of experience in what it means to be AS, together with a lot of knowledge of what Novices and Accepted may and may not learn/do/etcetera. While Sharina may some day gain all that knowledge, I do not believe for one moment that she has it now.

Just think back to Elayne and Nynaeve's meeting with the Kin: would Sharina know which doors in the library a novice may use? And that's just one out of a multitude of things that a MoN would have to get right without thinking, just to make sure the Novices don't run rings around her.

Terez
11-07-2009, 05:17 AM
What do you think they have been teaching them all this time? lol....all that time on the march, and nothing else to do....

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 05:29 AM
They will have been teaching them lots of things, but there will be a lot of other things for which they would need the resources in the Tower.
For instance, the novices would be expected to read some of the books in the library, which they simply couldn't do while on the march because they didn't have those books there.

Terez
11-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Nynaeve wasn't expected to read any of those books before being made Accepted, and I doubt she had much time to read any after either. She is Aes Sedai, and so is Egwene (who also had little time for books). There are plenty enough Aes Sedai who have those books practically memorized that I'm sure Sharina got a good enough education on the march, and during the siege. It's not as if there's anything better to do.

Besides, Sharina makes tons of Aes Sedai nervous for the simple fact that she is so much better at what she does than they are. Another good reason to go ahead and make her Aes Sedai.

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Yeah, now all you need do is find enough sensible AS to go ahead with that good idea.

Terez
11-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Only Silviana need be convinced, really. The other Aes Sedai don't have a say in it. :) They might grumble at first, but they'll shut up quick enough when they see how good she is. And how strong she is. That is important to them, for some reason....

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Well, they won't grumble about it where Sharina can hear them, that's for sure. :p

Yuri33
11-08-2009, 02:02 AM
The technical requirement for Sharina to be AS can be easily fulfilled--like Nyneave (and other older and stronger initiates), she has the ability to learn the 100 weaves for the testing after only being shown once.

I just think it's strange the the most powerful female channeler on the Light's side will likely be spending TG teaching novices. We might see some passages during the last book where she's briefly mentioned doing some fighting/healing at the front lines.

jason wolfbrother
11-08-2009, 02:57 AM
We know that Sharina is powerful. But does she know all the weaves? Can she use them in battle? Have we actually seen her do anything besides direct novices (and some Accepted) around? I'm not saying she can't but has she shown any evidence that she has that battle ability? Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve were thrust into learning. It was a do or die situation, literally. Sharina hasn't had that training forced on her.

Yuri33
11-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, there are obviously certain weaves specific for battle that she may/may not have a talent for, but I don't think it takes much skill to make fireballs/lightning, which is what most AS of current Age do in battle. I'm pretty sure Sharina can make one mean fireball :)

jason wolfbrother
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Well given the rate of success of Aes Sedai in defending themselves in the Seanchan Attack, and by success I mean their complete lack of it with the exception of Egwene, I'm not as confident.

Terez
11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
So, if Sharina can't do it, then all that means is that she's no better at it than the rest of them.....and I bet she could learn quickly. :)

Yuri33
11-08-2009, 10:48 PM
True, but during the WT raid all Egwene did use were fireballs/lightning/shields of Air, and she was pretty effective. She was greatly helped by the sa'angreal, but that's just a matter of strength, which Sharina is not lacking in.

Toss the dice
11-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree that Siuan would be great as Mistress of Novices.

For Leane, I think a great thing for her is to basically "ride off into the sunset," with some man. I remember that one speech she gave Siuan and Min concerning how she was brought up Domani, her leaving for the WT when she was young, men in general, and how she has essentially spent decades ALMOST wasting her life in a way, being Aes Sedai. To me, that is great foreshadowing that she will indeed ride off into the sunset with a man, whether or not she does happen to keep some minor ties to the WT or not.

She has already done the whole AS thing, and accomplished a lot on that path, being the Keeper and all, and everything else she's done in this story. After she was stilled, she went through her time coming to grips with her new life and "woke up," I think she will not forget her "awakening" and while she may still hold ties to the WT or even remain in Tar Valon, I believe she will essentially step back from it all, find a good man, and raise a family.

Greyman
11-10-2009, 03:24 AM
It seems to me that Siuan was...lamenting being chained to the Tower while Moiraine was running free. While she would be a good fit for the Mistress of Novices, she now has a Warder who's one of the Great-Captains and that Warder is likely going to be needed in the field very soon for Tarmon Gaidon.Indeed. Also the White Tower has just learned that it is not an invincible sanctuary. Are they going to just tell the rebel's army to just pack up and go home?

Well, okay, yeah, most of them probably would--even given the wakeup call--but Egwene has at least paid attention to her general in the past.

Terez
11-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Maybe Leane will hook up with Chubain. He's said to be pretty. :)

ShadowbaneX
11-10-2009, 09:01 AM
If Egwene disbands that Army she's a loon. She knows that Tarmon Gaidon is right around the corner and, that aside, the Seanchan are still around. No, if she's got two braincells to rub together that army is staying marshaled and the conscripts from Tar Valon likely are going to be integrated into it as well.

Greyman
11-12-2009, 08:32 AM
If Egwene disbands that Army she's a loon. She knows that Tarmon Gaidon is right around the corner and, that aside, the Seanchan are still around. No, if she's got two braincells to rub together that army is staying marshaled and the conscripts from Tar Valon likely are going to be integrated into it as well.Unlike the other rebels, Egwene's always viewed the army as more than just for show but she too never planned to use them to retake the tower. I'd say she does have a plan as to what to do with them after--or will soon come up with one or two.

Integrating the Younglings may be a speedbump though. Not only had they been antagonistic to Gareth's forces, but Gwayne's defection may cause a few hurt feelings.

Terez
11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Integrating the Younglings won't be a problem at all, since Gawyn was the only one of them that ever thought to question the orders of an Aes Sedai.

ShadowbaneX
11-12-2009, 09:37 AM
more then likely they'll just go back to what they were being trained for: Warder candidates.