PDA

View Full Version : Tricksy RJ

Ivhon
10-31-2009, 03:43 PM
I think this little doozy winds up being one of the more...annoying...misdirections we have been fed:

TFoH:
“Rays of silver and blue flashed about her fiery hair, and a soft golden light; Min could not say what it meant.”

I - and I daresay others - assumed that silvers and blues and golds were a portent of glory and goodness. I never gave Sheriam as BA much credence because of this vision...even though it does explicitly say that Min does not know what it means.

Cheapshot, IMO :D

Zaela Sedai
10-31-2009, 03:49 PM
It was the glinting rays off the sparkling axe as the golden sun beat off of it forming a soft golden light around her head before it fell off LOL

Ivhon
10-31-2009, 03:50 PM
It was the glinting rays off the sparkling axe as the golden sun beat off of it forming a soft golden light around her head before it fell off LOL

Yes. We can assume that she had her blue shawl on to preserve a bit of dignity, too.

Ok. Clears that little bit up, then. kekethxla

Zaela Sedai
10-31-2009, 03:54 PM
I bet those shawls weren't allowed on after that discovery

Terez
10-31-2009, 04:32 PM
I think this little doozy winds up being one of the more...annoying...misdirections we have been fed:

TFoH:
“Rays of silver and blue flashed about her fiery hair, and a soft golden light; Min could not say what it meant.”

I - and I daresay others - assumed that silvers and blues and golds were a portent of glory and goodness. I never gave Sheriam as BA much credence because of this vision...even though it does explicitly say that Min does not know what it means.

Cheapshot, IMO :D
I think this actually referred to her becoming Keeper, hence the blue. But the soft golden light is quite similar to the way the light struck her as she was being beheaded.

Tercel
10-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Similarly I was disappointed by Min's earlier claim that "they will all serve you, each in their own fashion" about several AS including Elza... I felt Elza's behavior freeing Semirhage and using the domination band were in fairly direct contradiction to this.

Terez
10-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Elza did serve him, up unto the end. She even killed Osan'gar for him. :)

Jokeslayer
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Similarly I was disappointed by Min's earlier claim that "they will all serve you, each in their own fashion" about several AS including Elza... I felt Elza's behavior freeing Semirhage and using the domination band were in fairly direct contradiction to this.

Well, if Rand using the TP turns out to be important it might turn out that she "served" him unwittingly.

jason wolfbrother
10-31-2009, 08:19 PM
TITLE: Winter's Heart
CHAPTER: 35 - With the Choedan Kal
Walking slowly, studying the forested hills around them, Elza suddenly stopped as a nicker of movement caught the corner of her eye. She turned her head slowly, and not as far as the hill where she had seen that flash. The day had been very difficult for her. In her captivity among the Aiel tents at Cairhien it had come to her that it was paramount for the Dragon Reborn to reach the Last Battle. It had suddenly become so blindingly obvious that it astounded her she had not seen it before. Now it was clear to her, as clear as saidar made the face of the man trying to hide on that hill while peeking around a tree trunk. Today, she had been forced to fight the Chosen. Surely the Great Lord would understand if she had actually killed any of them, but Corlan Dashiva was only one of those Asha'man. Dashiva raised his hand toward the hill where she stood, and she drew as hard as she could on Callandor in Jahar's hands. Saidin seemed well suited to destruction, to her. A huge ball of coruscating fire surrounded the other hilltop, red and gold and blue. When it was gone, that other hill ended in a smooth surface fifty feet lower than the old crest.

and from TGS

TGS Chapter 22 The Last That Could Be Done
At that moment, the door to his room opened. Another woman entered with a hurried step. She glanced out of the doorway, as if watching for something, then closed it behind her. Elza. Rand felt a surge of hope, but then the small woman joined Semirhage, taking up the other bracelet that controlled the a'dam around Rand's neck. She looked up at Rand, her eyes red, looking dazed-as if something had hit her soundly on the head. However, when she saw him kneeling, she smiled. "And so you finally come to your destiny, Rand al'Thor. You will face the Great Lord. And you will lose."

Verin's compulsion at work. Elza served in her own way. Rand must survive to face the Great Lord and be defeated. In her eyes that was the enough.

Marie Curie 7
10-31-2009, 09:20 PM
I think this actually referred to her becoming Keeper, hence the blue. But the soft golden light is quite similar to the way the light struck her as she was being beheaded.

Yeah, I would say that the viewing was almost certainly of her beheading. The blue is because she was wearing a blue dress, not her shawl, at the beheading. The description in Min's viewing is just too similar to the beheading scene, even down to the silver of the axe, for it not to be that, in my opinion. Here's the viewing again:

TITLE: Fires of Heaven
CHAPTER: 26 - Sallie Daera

Rays of silver and blue flashed about her fiery hair, and a soft golden light; Min could not say what it meant.

And here's the scene in TGS.

TITLE: Gathering Storm
CHAPTER: 45 - The Tower Stands

They'd placed her head on the block and taken it off, just like the others. That scene would always be vivid in Egwene's mind - her former Keeper, lying with her head pressed against the stump, blue dress and fiery red hair suddenly bathed in warm golden light as a thinner section of clouds moved in front of the sun. Then the silvery axe, falling to claim her head.

I was a bit surprised that Sheriam turned out to be black, too - particularly because the viewing was reminiscent of the one that Min had of Logain, with the blue and gold halo of light around him, and Min knew that was about glory to come for him.

Zaela Sedai
10-31-2009, 10:49 PM
I always though it was obvious she was black....but yes that viewing has been tied up neatly.

Marie Curie 7
11-01-2009, 02:18 PM
I always though it was obvious she was black....but yes that viewing has been tied up neatly.

Well, it's obviously a moot point now, but there were definitely ambiguities about whether or not Sheriam was in fact Black or was just being used/blackmailed/whatever. That viewing was just one of those things that added to the ambiguity because it seemed like a "good" viewing of Sheriam. :)

But now that we know that it was Halima who was beating Sheriam, does this previous much-discussed thought from Sheriam make sense?

TITLE: Path of Daggers
CHAPTER: 16 - Unexpected Absences

It took a long time to convince her questioner that she had already told all she knew, that she would never hold back a word, not a whisper. When she was left alone at last, it was to lie curled up and whimpering from her welts, bitterly wishing that she had never in her life spoken to a single sister in the Hall.

Why did she wish that she had never spoken to any of the sisters in the Hall? This always seemed like it might be a bit of a clue that perhaps it was one of the Sitters (Lelaine, Delana, etc.) beating her. But now... did she think this just because it was Delana who introduced Halima to her? Or does it hearken back to when she originally joined the Black Ajah and was perhaps recruited by a Sitter?

Anyway, at one point in TGS Egwene wonders about what sort of plots Sheriam had brewing that could cause problems in the future. And then we learn that Myrelle, Nisao, Faolain, and Theodrin have all gone missing at the Black Tower. These are all sisters who have sworn fealty to Egwene, as did Sheriam. My immediate reaction was that Sheriam must have had some influence over the selection of these sisters, to get some of those loyal to Egwene away from the camp, but I'm not sure that she would have known about Faolain and Theodrin.

Zaela Sedai
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Any chance Halima knew about those two?