PDA

View Full Version : Speculation time: Egwene in T'A'R

ShadowbaneX
10-31-2009, 11:53 PM
So while Egwene was in t'a'r she decided to use need, and it took her to a Tinker camp. The only reason why I'm bringing it up is that it hasn't been discussed yet...and so, it's time to begin. What do the Tinkers know, that Egwene needs to see/hear?

Something Song related? Something to do with the Prophecies? Could it be someone that's joined up with the Tinkers, if so, who?

Davian93
10-31-2009, 11:56 PM
So while Egwene was in t'a'r she decided to use need, and it took her to a Tinker camp. The only reason why I'm bringing it up is that it hasn't been discussed yet...and so, it's time to begin. What do the Tinkers know, that Egwene needs to see/hear?

Something Song related? Something to do with the Prophecies? Could it be someone that's joined up with the Tinkers, if so, who?

Maybe that was the night Rand was with those Tinkers in Altara?

Its tough to know the timeline in this book unfortunately.

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Maybe that was the night Rand was with those Tinkers in Altara?

Its tough to know the timeline in this book unfortunately.
Rand was with Tinkers in Altara? I don't remember that. Where was this?

Davian93
11-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Rand was with Tinkers in Altara? I don't remember that. Where was this?

He spent the night with some Tinkers before he went into Ebou Dar to Nuke the place. He mentioned covering up his Dragons and wearing a brown coat so no one would know him in the camp.

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2009, 12:07 AM
in tGS? I must have missed that.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 12:09 AM
in tGS? I must have missed that.

Yeah, its in one of the final Rand chapters before he goes to Dragonmount.

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2009, 12:22 AM
hunh, don't know how I missed that. It seems to me though that the Tinker camps around Ebou Dar were a little more permenant and larger, whereas the one Egwene visited was fairly small, smaller then the group that she met in tEotW.

Having just reread it, perhaps it's a simple has her realising what Rand's been ignoring as she seems to make some realizations as she's at the camp in t'a'r...otoh, that seems a little too simple. It'd be more fun if these Tinkers know something of relevance.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Do you know which chapter/page Egwene used Need in TAR on? I can't find it by flipping through the book.

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Do you know which chapter/page Egwene used Need in TAR on? I can't find it by flipping through the book.
News in Tel'Aran'Rhiod - page 589 - 3rd paragraph continuing through most of the next page as well.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Okay, the most annoying aspect of that passage is that Egwene uses Need to get there and then just sits there thinking about "simpler times and Gawyn, blah, blah, blah." Very annoying.

Details that might be important:

1. Its a small caravan
2. The fire/smoke reflects into TAR meaning its likely a semi-permanent camp for a fire to show up.
3. Its by the side of an overgrown road.
4. She went looking for Knowledge and found a "simpler, more peaceful time".

Maybe that's important in itself. Maybe she just needed to center herself to continue her battle against Elaida?

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2009, 01:03 AM
yeah, but that's so...basic. You'd think it'd be more important then that.

Davian93
11-01-2009, 01:04 AM
yeah, but that's so...basic. You'd think it'd be more important then that.

I would hope so.

The key phrase is

"In this case, she looked not for an object, but for knowledge. What did she need to know, what did she need to see?"

jason wolfbrother
11-01-2009, 01:17 AM
She needed to see what exactly she was fighting for. She wasn't fighting to best Elaida. She wasn't fighting to make the Aes Sedai whole so they could pull the strings and make nations dance to their tune. She was fighting to save what could be saved. She was fighting for all those that couldn't fight. She was fighting for humanities right to live free, like the Tinkers do, like she had for a short time with them. thus the memory lane trip.

Rand did the same thing. It just took him longer.

Callandor
11-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Both visit Tinkers in this book. Fun times.

Is there anything more than just the Tinkers being there? I'd say yes. Any inkling beyond that? Not a damn thing. "Song-related." Sure. Any more general? Hard to be :)

http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/pimp.gif

greatwolf
11-01-2009, 05:52 AM
She needed to see what exactly she was fighting for. She wasn't fighting to best Elaida. She wasn't fighting to make the Aes Sedai whole so they could pull the strings and make nations dance to their tune. She was fighting to save what could be saved. She was fighting for all those that couldn't fight. She was fighting for humanities right to live free, like the Tinkers do, like she had for a short time with them. thus the memory lane trip.

I agree. Rand hasn't been the only blind person in the series. But dont make Gonzo too happy. :p