PDA

View Full Version : Where...again...is Sulin?

creepybob
11-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Okay, so I'm listening to the audio version and can't be sure if this was just an error on the reader's part but I thought I heard Sulin mentioned just before Rand Balefire's Graendal's fortress.

...I thought she was still w/ Perrin.

FelixPax
11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Okay, so I'm listening to the audio version and can't be sure if this was just an error on the reader's part but I thought I heard Sulin mentioned just before Rand Balefire's Graendal's fortress.

...I thought she was still w/ Perrin.

Good point Bob, about Sulin's location, however you did heard that correctly I recall too.

Bizarre I agree, as Tam haven't shown up yet to see Rand in Stone.

creepybob
11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Good point Bob, about Sulin's location, however you did heard that correctly I recall too.

Bizarre I agree, as Tam haven't shown up yet to see Rand in Stone.

Well I'd like a quote to be sure...if that is true than we have an odd disjoint.

FelixPax
11-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Well I'd like a quote to be sure...if that is true than we have an odd disjoint.

Found a quote pg 569 hardback tGS:

Min waited. On the other side of the gateway, a distant sun was hidden from sight, giving a late-afternoon light to the shadowed forest floor. After a few moments, white-haired Sulin stepped into view and nodded to Rand. All clear.

There is a good possibly that the Wise Ones & Cadsuane's plan, recruited Sulin back to them for information to be of use in turning Rand's heart. See pg 477 hardback (tGS, Chapter "A Promise to Lews Therin"). Sulin was one of the first to notice the changes within Rand, in aCoS, Rand talking to himself and was the first to notice that Rand feared "boxes" and enclosed areas. Sulin has had a better understanding of Rand than many Maidens in his guard. Amys would indeed remember Sulin special role from Cairhien and Caemlyn with Rand.

bowlwoman
11-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I posted about this the day after the book came out in one of the other threads (Davian's, I think). It's either a mistake or set up because of the book split. I think it's probably a mistake, because if it wasn't, then why would Rand have to spill Perrin's location later on after he returns to Tear?

creepybob
11-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I posted about this the day after the book came out in one of the other threads (Davian's, I think). It's either a mistake or set up because of the book split. I think it's probably a mistake, because if it wasn't, then why would Rand have to spill Perrin's location later on after he returns to Tear?

oh, well good catch, there are just SO MANY threads now that it's hard to keep up.

lurk
11-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Damn, I can't believe I missed that line in the book

weird is the least, I agree tho with the remark that she knows Rand the best. More like a mommy to him.... :D

Enigma
11-03-2009, 08:09 AM
If Sulin was with Perrin and was fetched by Wise Ones who could travel why was Perrin & co still sitting beneath their half made statute and needed Nynaeve to come and get them and bring them. Also if the Wise Ones wanted Sulin for her insight into Rand's mind would they not have also though to invite his dad.

It might have been a slip but if it was given the absolute weight of material BS had to deal with in the notes its not the greatest error that could have been made.

FelixPax
11-04-2009, 02:25 AM
If Sulin was with Perrin and was fetched by Wise Ones who could travel why was Perrin & co still sitting beneath their half made statute and needed Nynaeve to come and get them and bring them.

This is the very same question I'm curious about too. Maybe they lacked knowledge that Tam was Rand's adapted father, I assume that knowledge came with Cadsuane and/or Nynaeve? :confused:

The Maidens Lerian, Surial both mention that Rand is putting himself in too much needless danger at the beginning of tGS Chapter 11 (pg 180), which Aviendra learns and agrees with silently as well. I can only assume this information was passed to Amys by one of those Maidens, and Amys decided to find Sulin. One reason assume this, is because Lerian, Surial both mention the 'need to beat Rand to teach him to avoid danger, as a child should learn', yet Rand is not beaten by any Maidens in tGS. So did the Wise Ones take those angry calls, to retrieve a person who might be able to change Rand al'Thor mind? Yes, Sulin did that once before in Cairhien (TFoH,Ch53), changing Rand's mind to let the Maidens protect himself so they can keep their honor.

Obviously the very presents of Sulin did not hinder Rand from using Balefire to destroy that Fortress, nor to lighten his heart. That's when Nynaeve and Min, entered to the ongoing plans of the Wise Ones and Cadsuane. Unspoken is who mentioned Tam al'Thor was with Perrin's group? Was it Sulin herself who learned that Tam al'Thor was Rand's father and later told this information to the Wises Ones?

WinespringBrother
11-04-2009, 08:40 AM
This topic was brought up in another thread, "A mistake, or" where I was questioning how Cadsuane knew that Tam was with Perrin, but not knowing where they were. I'd assumed that the Wise Ones were communicating with each other via dreams. However, someone speculated that Cadsuane went back to the Two Rivers to dig up information on Rand, and learned that Tam went off with Perrin to fight in the Malden campaign.

So the Wise Ones could have gotten Sulin, who joins Rand before he goes off to try to kill Graendal. It was after that that Rand exiled Cadsuane. It may be at that point that Cadsuane came up with her plans that eventually involved reuniting Tam and Rand, so that is how Tam was overlooked when they first got Sulin. Though it doesn't explain why they would leave Perrin wandering around with 1000's of refugees to fend for themselves.

Davian93
11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Someone should just ask BS at the next Signing Q & A.

1Powerslave
11-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I thought that Nynaeve at least should help Perrin with some gateways, but perhaps she did.

Personally I think that team Jordan just mixed up Nandera and Sulin. Otherwise we would have seen a minor plot about Sulin trying and failing with Rand.
I think that they didn't go fetch Sulin, that Cadsuane found out about where Tam al'Thor was from visiting the Two Rivers post her exile. Had Tam been in the Two Rivers then, Cadsuane would've gotten him right then to Rand. I need to reread Cadsuane's POVs in Arad Doman, I think some clue about this was in them.