PDA

View Full Version : well...I finished.

Sei'taer
11-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I have to say I'm impressed. I really enjoyed it. I like Mat and Perrin a lot better in this book. BS has a more natural conversation style than RJ did...imo.

some things that are already being discussed in other areas but i just want to rebring them.

1. Verin was a (sort of) darkfriend. Sweet.

2. Sheriam got her dumbass head lopped off, finally.

3. Rand apparently stood on his own grave, since the coming together happened in this book. I'm wondering if the part about him being blind was a metaphor for him not seeing what he needed to be. His eyes are (hopefully) open now.

4. I wonder if Rand will be able to get his hand back from Moridin.

5. The balefire that killed Graendal (maybe...I have a feeling it didn't). Wouldn't it have been strong enough to "go back" to before the compulsion was done? I kind of felt like there was a mistake made there. Maybe I'm wrong in how I remember balefire working...it's been a long time since I theorized and I'm still trying to get all the rust off.

6. Will Bryne be in charge of the tower guard now? Can he do that and be a warder too?

7. I think Tam has a lot more experience with Aes Sedai than anyone knows. He showed zero fear when Caddie picked him up. I think he might be more formidable than anyone knows. I wonder if he might have been a warder?

I have lots more but I think thats all good for now. Anyway now I have to do some real work to do now.

Davian93
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I doubt Tam was a Warder but its really clear that there is a reason that he dislikes Aes Sedai and its not just a simple "I don't care for their ways". Something had to happen for him to be that way.

ShadowbaneX
11-04-2009, 10:42 AM
3. Rand apparently stood on his own grave, since the coming together happened in this book. I'm wondering if the part about him being blind was a metaphor for him not seeing what he needed to be. His eyes are (hopefully) open now.

This is why I love you Hillbilly. That's an awesome interpretation of things. He's found laughter up there and perhaps, if he remains up there for a little while he'll find tears as well.

GonzoTheGreat
11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
1. I agree.

2. Perhaps it will grow back?

3. He has been cured of his blindness, yes.

4. Moridin undoubtedly has a drawer with spare hands. Right above the drawer with his red and black socks.

5. The balefire was indeed strong enough to make the compulsion "never done". That was the whole point of that test.

6. Interesting question. I think that the answer is "yes", but that is based on reason. Since we're dealing with AS here, I wouldn't want to have to depend on reason too much.

7. I doubt he was a Warder. He probably met them during the Aiel War.

Crispin's Crispian
11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
3. Rand apparently stood on his own grave, since the coming together happened in this book. I'm wondering if the part about him being blind was a metaphor for him not seeing what he needed to be. His eyes are (hopefully) open now.That's pretty much how I see it (heh) too. I'm going to bet that his vision problems are also literally solved in the next book. Happy coincidence, that.

5. The balefire that killed Graendal (maybe...I have a feeling it didn't). Wouldn't it have been strong enough to "go back" to before the compulsion was done? I kind of felt like there was a mistake made there. Maybe I'm wrong in how I remember balefire working...it's been a long time since I theorized and I'm still trying to get all the rust off.I'm withholding judgement on Graendal. My first instinct was that she's not dead, just because her plot was not wrapped up well.

7. I think Tam has a lot more experience with Aes Sedai than anyone knows. He showed zero fear when Caddie picked him up. I think he might be more formidable than anyone knows. I wonder if he might have been a warder?I was fully expecting Tam to handle Cadsuane just fine. Tam is a rock, and his comments to her were one of the best parts of the whole book. Between him and Min, I'm hoping Cadsuane and Nynaeve will be convinced not to treat Rand like a little kid, but like a man who needs help.

JSUCamel
11-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Tam is a rock, and his comments to her were one of the best parts of the whole book. Between him and Min, I'm hoping Cadsuane and Nynaeve will be convinced not to treat Rand like a little kid, but like a man who needs help.

I agree, one of the best parts of the book. The treatment of Rand by the women has always annoyed me. It's clear to all the non-AS that Rand is a man who is making tough decisions, even if they don't always make sense, but the Aes Sedai and Wise Ones treat him like some sort of moron that needs his hand held while he's potty trained.

Hopefully this changes soon, because until he really, truly gets their backing (as in they really, really believe that he can save them), there's no chance of success.

GonzoTheGreat
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Hah!
Rand is now also a full AS. And not one of those half trained Third Age children either. That's gonna freak out a couple of women, I expect.

Sei'taer
11-04-2009, 01:22 PM
This is why I love you Hillbilly. That's an awesome interpretation of things. He's found laughter up there and perhaps, if he remains up there for a little while he'll find tears as well.

I love you too. You have pretty eyes.

I was fully expecting Tam to handle Cadsuane just fine. Tam is a rock, and his comments to her were one of the best parts of the whole book. Between him and Min, I'm hoping Cadsuane and Nynaeve will be convinced not to treat Rand like a little kid, but like a man who needs help.

I just think Tam has a lot more experience with AS than being a soldier and one of the Companions can explain. RJ goes out of his way to let people know how regular soldiers step easy around AS. Even commanders like Bryne, Bashere, etc step a little lighter around them. Tam showed absolutely no fear at what Caddie was doing. None. He didn't even flinch. He was even brazen enough to challenge her while he was being held. I think that speaks more to previous experience than it does to the man himself. He is definitely a rock, but there seems to be more to him than that, is all I'm saying. Maybe if we knew more about Kari...maybe she was in the tower at one point? There's just not enough information yet to know.

5. The balefire was indeed strong enough to make the compulsion "never done". That was the whole point of that test.

I'll have to go back and read it. I swear it said it dissapated with her death.

I'm withholding judgement on Graendal. My first instinct was that she's not dead, just because her plot was not wrapped up well.

Right with you. I have a feeling she'll be back.

4. Moridin undoubtedly has a drawer with spare hands. Right above the drawer with his red and black socks.

Moridin felt the loss. He was flexing his hand in the meeting with the forsaken. I don't know how closely tied they are. I just had a feeling that Rand was going to need both hands in the LB.

Davian93
11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Right with you. I have a feeling she'll be back.

I'm Championing a Faction that states this. It will be called "Graendal Lives" and its Creed will be something along the lines of We believe...that Graendal somehow survived Rand's balefire attack in The Gathering Storm and that she will be back in the next books.

Sarevok
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Hah!
Rand is now also a full AS. And not one of those half trained Third Age children either. That's gonna freak out a couple of women, I expect.
Hehe, good point. :)

Brita
11-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtG

I'll have to go back and read it. I swear it said it dissapated with her death.
Well that's the rub, isn't it. Rand took the disappearance of the compulsion weave as proof of Graendal's death, when really it could simply be proof that he just blasted the hell out of the pattern. I think Rand may have outsmarted himself.

Davian93
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Well that's the rub, isn't it. Rand took the disappearance of the compulsion weave as proof of Graendal's death, when really it could simply be proof that he just blasted the hell out of the pattern. I think Rand may have outsmarted himself.

Which isn't exactly hard to do.

One Armed Gimp
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Tam does have more experience with AS than a normal soldier would have had during the Aiel War.

I am fairly certain this documented through out the books. To start off though, he seems fairly wary of them in book 1. Though I think his trip to Tar Valon and then time spent with Verin and Alanna, changed some of that. I am sure Tam's time with Perrin, the AS, Wise Ones and Asha'men with Perrin and the Seachan had some effect as well. Let us not forget the Tam was recently tossed around like a rag doll by the Dragon Reborn who happens to be his son. I think this would stiffen anyone's back up a bit.

Tam a warder, no. Tam with quite a bit of experience around those that can channel, yup.

Belazamon
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I love you too. You have pretty eyes.
Does anyone else hear a banjo playing...?

EDIT: Typo.

Sei'taer
11-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Does anyone else here a banjo playing...?

If you don't, you better listen closer.

Crispin's Crispian
11-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Hah!

Rand will definitely need a new hand if he's going to be using the TP.

Sei'taer
11-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Hah!

Rand will definitely need a new hand if he's going to be using the TP.

I wonder if he folds the TP or weaves it in some way. Weaving might be even better than wadding it up.

Uno
11-04-2009, 04:08 PM
If have also finished it. It was unexpectedly good. Relatively certain Graendal is dead, although it bugs me that Moridin was so casual about telling Rand that balefire is the way to prevent the DO from practicing his postmortem approach to environmentalism.

Enigma
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
If he needs a new hand he could just take over Moridin's body, its got both hands.

ShadowbaneX
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
If have also finished it. It was unexpectedly good. Relatively certain Graendal is dead, although it bugs me that Moridin was so casual about telling Rand that balefire is the way to prevent the DO from practicing his postmortem approach to environmentalism.
why? Ishy himself said that all there is to live for was the brief chance to rule before the end of it all and he knows the end is nigh. The fewer Forsaken around the less likely he'll be usurped from his position of power.

Enigma
11-04-2009, 04:24 PM
If Balefire damages the pattern and the DO is exerting serious effort against the pattern would it not make sense to try and have his greatest enemy use balrefire freely. The more danage there is to the pattern the easier a job the DO had.

Uno
11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
why? Ishy himself said that all there is to live for was the brief chance to rule before the end of it all and he knows the end is nigh. The fewer Forsaken around the less likely he'll be usurped from his position of power.

I'm rather aware of that, but I don't think he's that worried about being usurped in the first place, and if he is, then spilling the beans about stuff like that is a good way of annoying his master, assuming that the DO still wants the other Forsaken to cause some mischief, that is. Or maybe there's just so little time left that it doesn't matter one way or the other.

ShadowbaneX
11-04-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah, I was mainly going for that last thing, but left it out. That's what I get for trying to post in three different threads at once.

Belazamon
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
yeah, I was mainly going for that last thing, but left it out. That's what I get for trying to post in three different threads at once.
They were not three threads, and never had been.

(This line works for everything!)

ShadowbaneX
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
you're having FAR too much fun with that...

Belazamon
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
you're having FAR too much fun with that...
Sorry, I forgot.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jalapenoguy/SeriousBusiness.png

ShadowbaneX
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
WoT is srs business. srsly.

=P

Terez
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm rather aware of that, but I don't think he's that worried about being usurped in the first place, and if he is, then spilling the beans about stuff like that is a good way of annoying his master, assuming that the DO still wants the other Forsaken to cause some mischief, that is. Or maybe there's just so little time left that it doesn't matter one way or the other.
Like Enigma said, there's reason to believe that Moridin would want him to use balefire to unravel the Pattern, especially considering that Moridin knew Rand had the Choedan Kal, and could cause some serious damage with balefire. So, since he knows that Rand is reluctant to use it, he's got to give him some sort of incentive.

I thought it was pretty obvious when I read it, especially considering the Dark One's orders to Demandred in Lord of Chaos.

Crispin's Crispian
11-04-2009, 06:43 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious when I read it

You should just make this your signature.

Terez
11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Why? I like my signature as it is...

Sei'taer
11-04-2009, 10:06 PM

hahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

I'm laughing on the inside...really!

JSUCamel
11-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Genius. Have rep.

Terez
11-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm glad you guys are so easily amused...

Belazamon
11-04-2009, 11:01 PM
hahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

I'm laughing on the inside...really!
Dammit, guys! How many times do we have to tell you? :mad:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jalapenoguy/SeriousBusiness.png

Sei'taer
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Genius. Have rep.

I have to spread it around first...I tried though.

Sodas
11-05-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm Championing a Faction that states this. It will be called "Graendal Lives" and its Creed will be something along the lines of We believe...that Graendal somehow survived Rand's balefire attack in The Gathering Storm and that she will be back in the next books.

Hehe. Sorry if I gag on that one for awhile.

Sodas
11-05-2009, 01:22 AM
They were not three threads, and never had been.

(This line works for everything!)

Genius.

Crispin's Crispian
11-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm glad you guys are so easily amused...
Yeah, I noticed that 10 years ago.

Sei'taer
11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I noticed that 10 years ago.

Dammit...Somebody else do something rep worthy!

~Uh...Bela...no, that's disgusting~

Belazamon
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
~Uh...Bela...no, that's disgusting~
Hey, if it gets me more rep...

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jalapenoguy/SeriousBusiness.pngYou're welcome for that ;)
Also, applause for sdog's smartassery :)