PDA

View Full Version : NYT #1 BEST SELLER

Terez
11-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I'd give a link, but NYT doesn't seem to have updated their online list yet. But we hit #1!

Congrats to Brandon for earning this!

Davian93
11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd give a link, but NYT doesn't seem to have updated their online list yet. But we hit #1!

Congrats to Brandon for earning this!

I think we have more to do with it than Brandon...

Just kidding.

1Powerslave
11-04-2009, 06:56 PM
cool.

Muirenn
11-04-2009, 07:28 PM
That's right! Eat it Dan Brown! \o/

Davian93
11-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Yeah, Dan Brown will just go dance on his big pile of money from all the idiots that bought Lost Symbol.

Birgitte
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM

LOL.. Awesome

And Yay for BS!

Bonzi77
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, Dan Brown will just go dance on his big pile of money from all the idiots that bought Lost Symbol.

I was young and stupid.

Davian93
11-04-2009, 07:45 PM
I was young and stupid.

Its okay, my fiancee bought it.

I read through it and it seemed like the EXACT SAME story as Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Same crap writing, same stupid cliff-hangers and "twists" if you could even call them that. Same pseudo-intelligent prose that a guy who isn't smart uses to try and sound smart.

reTaardad
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
And Yay for BS!
I've been away from the Theoryland universe for a while and I just can't get used to the "BS" for some reason. I always have to convert it from bulls**** to Brandon Sanderson in my mind. :p

But anyways, woo #1. :cool:

greatwolf
11-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I've been away from the Theoryland universe for a while and I just can't get used to the "BS" for some reason. I always have to convert it from bulls**** to Brandon Sanderson in my mind. :p

First time round, I wondered what boy scouts had to do with the wot. It took forever to figure it out.

And yes, did anyone ever expect it not to hit no. 1?

JSUCamel
11-04-2009, 08:44 PM

You're telling me... those are MY initials.

Belazamon
11-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I was young and stupid.
Clearly you didn't need the money.

Isabel
11-05-2009, 12:20 AM
And grats to Team Jordan and Robert Jordan ;)

bowlwoman
11-05-2009, 12:32 AM
You're telling me... those are MY initials.

If I use my diminutive first name, my first/middle name initials are BJ. If I use my legal first name initial and maiden name, my name is R. Kelley. So, which is worse? The sex act or the guy who did them? :D

Oh, and WOOT! for #1!

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
If I use my diminutive first name, my first/middle name initials are BJ. If I use my legal first name initial and maiden name, my name is R. Kelley. So, which is worse? The sex act or the guy who did them? :DYes.

And congrats to RJ, Team Jordan, and BS for making the best book ever. :D

Zaela Sedai
11-05-2009, 10:21 PM
welcome back Taard!

GRATS BRANDON! And RJ!

Isabel
11-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Brandon's post made me cry :(

If you didn't hear the news, we got a call on Wednesday informing us that THE GATHERING STORM had hit the number one spot on the New York Times hardcover Best Seller list. This was accompanied by hitting number one on the independent bookseller's list and being the bestselling hardcover fiction book at Barnes & Noble and at Borders. (And at the last one, I believe, we were the overall #1 book regardless of genre, which is impressive.) We did, in fact, knock Dan Brown out of the #1 spot—by a wide margin.

How do I feel? Relieved. When I first began this project, my largest fear by far was that I would disappoint the fans. As I have stated before, I consider this your book and not mine. That doesn't mean I'm writing it to please the fans specifically—I'm writing these novels to be the best blasted books that they can be, narratively, structurally, and characterizationally. (Is that a word?) My goal is not to produce fan moments, per se, but to produce the best story possible, if that distinction makes any sense.

Either way, the last four Wheel of Time books had all hit #1, and I worried a lot that it would be on my watch where we failed to do so. It is a testament to the beloved nature of the series, mixed with the ardor of the readers, that we have weathered a change in authors without a dip. We actually outsold KNIFE OF DREAMS' first week, which is amazing.

The thing is, I don't feel I can take much—if any—credit for this. The reason this book turned out as well as it did (and thank you all for your kind emails, posts, and reviews) was because of the work Robert Jordan did before he passed away. He literally lay on his deathbead dictating scenes for you, too weak to write. He loved his readers dearly, and those of you lucky enough to meet him know that he was a truly kind and generous man.

Beyond that, the strength of this book is directly tied to the excellent storytelling that came before it. It doesn't take much experience with construction to realize that the foundation of a building is far more important—structurally—than the roof. Robert Jordan's skill with worldbuilding, characterization, and plotting was amazing. Working on these books has only increased my respect for his abilities.

None of you ran out to get the book because of me. My job was, and continues to be, to stay out of the way and let you enjoy the story that Robert Jordan wanted you to have. I am honored and humbled that so many of you have enjoyed the book. Thank you for what you have done in giving me a chance to prove myself to you.

Somewhere, Robert Jordan is smiling.

reTaardad
11-08-2009, 02:18 AM
BS FTW

Isabel
11-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Don't you mean RJ for the win? :)
I really think it's amazing that RJ has done that and it shows how much he cared about his fans.

Anaiya Sedai
11-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Yay :)

Terez
11-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Don't you mean RJ for the win? :) I think he would have said that if he'd meant it. We all love RJ, and we are all well aware that this is primarily his book, but that doesn't mean BS doesn't deserve his props. We wouldn't have the book without him, and his post was well and sensitively written.

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 06:09 AM
Don't you mean RJ for the win? :)That RJ could do this very well we knew.

But if you've read some of the first Dune books by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, then you will be aware that new writers taking over a good series can make it go downhill very rapidly indeed. The Dune series was very good indeed, but BH&KJA managed to make reading it barely worthwhile, and then only in order to see where Frank Herbert had been intending to take the series if he had had the time for it.

BS could, in theory, have snagged defeat from the jaws of a seemingly inevitable victory. That has been done before, but he managed to avoid that.

Isabel
11-08-2009, 06:25 AM
I know, Brandon did a good job. But it wouldn't have been possible without RJ.
Thats why i think it's grats RJ, team Jordan and Brandon for #1.

the_dead
11-08-2009, 06:36 AM
That RJ could do this very well we knew.

But if you've read some of the first Dune books by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, then you will be aware that new writers taking over a good series can make it go downhill very rapidly indeed. The Dune series was very good indeed, but BH&KJA managed to make reading it barely worthwhile, and then only in order to see where Frank Herbert had been intending to take the series if he had had the time for it.

BS could, in theory, have snagged defeat from the jaws of a seemingly inevitable victory. That has been done before, but he managed to avoid that.
I was sad when I read the new Dune books and found this to be true. After reading TGS I was so happy I would not have to see my favorite series killed like that. They truelly mad an amazing book. So congrats to RJ, team Jordan and Brandon.

ShadowLord
11-08-2009, 05:14 PM
I wonder why there was no NYT write up of the book, just the #1 listing.

Nelal Hurcran
11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Congratz RJ!!!

I wonder how many other authors have hit #1 posthumously.

And Congratz to Harriet, and Alan and Maria. Well, and BS, I guess. :p

GonzoTheGreat
11-09-2009, 05:55 AM
I think both Asimov and Heinlein managed it, though I am not entirely sure of either.