PDA

View Full Version : Hi

fdsaf3
11-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I posted already in the Gathering Storm forum, but I thought I'd make a post here and introduce myself.

If I were more awake, I'd post in haiku form. That used to be a gag I used when posting on internet forums.

Anyway, about me. I'm 24, live in Minnesota, and work for a pretty well known medical institution. I graduated from college with two degrees in political science and mathematics, and I'm using the one I got out of prudence and not the one I was more interested in at the time. Funny how things work out.

I've been reading the WoT series since I was 14, so ten years. I have to admit I've only skim-read books 8 and 9. I only have a functional grasp of the books on an individual character level basis, but I have a pretty good handle on big picture stuff. I'm hoping to buff up my knowledge of the more intricate things, but I kind of hate getting bogged down in mundane details. So, we'll see what happens. I'm not terribly confrontational (yay Minnesota nice!), and a lot of what I have to say are just ideas I've had or thought about. I don't have many defensible ideas at this point, but maybe I will try to focus on that as well.

The most interesting thing about me is that I'm colorblind, but that's not the whole story. When I was 14 (wow, weird how that works out), I told a girl I met that I was colorblind in a pathetic attempt to make her think I was cool or unique or something. It worked, and we actually ended up going on a few dates and became really close friends. The thing was, at the time I told her, I wasn't colorblind. I have a rare version of red-green colorblindness which is acquired over time, not present at birth. So if any of you post in colors, please know that you're forcing me to highlight the text and copy/paste it to a Word document. And that's annoying.

That's all the personal stuff I can think of. I'm an interesting person, I think, and I hope I can stick around and enjoy the community.

Terez
11-04-2009, 11:56 PM
We only have one person here that posts in colors, and he apparently only continues to do it because he doesn't care whether or not you read his posts. So, no worries!

Welcome to Theoryland. :)

Belazamon
11-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Howdy!

Birgitte
11-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the Insanity!

RogueSavior
11-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Who posts in colors? Besides my sister's signature, of course.

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Who posts in colors? Besides my sister's signature, of course.Purple Dragon. However, he unfortunately doesn't post nearly as much as he should so you don't have to worry about that all that much.

Welcome to the forums. Do tell us about yerself. :D
(All questions are optional)
What is your favorite character? Book? Color? Number? Food? Flavor of Gum? Genre of music?
What book had just released when you started reading? (I could figure this out from the info you gave, but I'm too lazy for that :p ;) )
Are you going to get an avatar and sig?
What is the story behind your name? Rearrangement of the leftmost keys on the home row?
Add any other things that you feel like adding :D
Also, feel free to ask questions about us folks yourself. (Most of us will be happy to answer)
The insanity wards are down the hall, first door to the right. Come join us in there, it's a fun time. <insert evil emote here>

Zanguini
11-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Welcome And Greetings
Madness Will Soon Overwhelm
The Crown Prince Am I

If the other Z
Ever does her job greeting
Beware of the Chains

The Non-Wot board, great
emotions boil and bubble
its all in good fun

Gilshalos Sedai
11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
My husband is slightly color blind. However, according to the government, there's no such thing as slight.

Welcome to the boards! Uh.. we're gonna need something to call you that's not quite as odd. FD?

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I think his name henceforth shall be...ColorBlind

GonzoTheGreat
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the boards! Uh.. we're gonna need something to call you that's not quite as odd. FD?Considering the fact that he Foretold his own color blindness, we could call him Nicola. :p

Which brings up the question: are there any Asha'man with the Foretelling?

Sarevok
11-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Welcome to TL!! :D

*sets Naz on fire*

Sarevok
11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Welcome to TL!! :D

*sets Naz on fire*

Zanguini
11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
double firing

Sarevok
11-05-2009, 12:26 PM
double firing
Hmpf... First it eats my post... then decides to post it afterall. :mad:

fdsaf3
11-05-2009, 01:28 PM
What is your favorite character? It varies, but I'll go with Logain. I'm a younger brother, so I can identify with what he must be feeling, and how awesome he's going to feel when he gets his promised "future glory". Redemption is sweet.

Book? Atlas Shrugged. Oh, you mean WoT? Either Great Hunt or Fires of Heaven.

Color? Ha. Blue!

Number? 2. It's the only even prime number.

Genre of music? I'm a music junkie, so this is always hard for me. I'll go with the generic "metal" genre, although that's kind of a vague answer.

What book had just released when you started reading? (I could figure this out from the info you gave, but I'm too lazy for that :p ;) )

Um, I remember Crown of Swords was in the library in hard cover when I first heard of the books. I don't know if PoD was out at that point or not. I just remember that Eye of the World was never available to be checked out, and after waiting for a while to get it at the library I just bought it at the local bookstore.

I just checked Wikipedia for release dates, and it turns out that Winter's Heart had just been released. Weird.

Are you going to get an avatar and sig?

Yeah, sure. I'll get around to it eventually.

What is the story behind your name? Rearrangement of the leftmost keys on the home row?

Not really sure on this one. I remember I had to make up a name once and I hit the keyboard out of frustration. What I got was fdsaf, so I've kept it since then. It's lame, I know, but I'm a creature of habit. Plus it makes logging on to all the different forums and communities I'm a part of easier.

I answered in bold. I don't have any questions yet, but I'm sure once I poke around a bit more I'll come up with some.

Terez
11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh noooooooo, an Objectivist!

Are you a Tairy fan too?

Zanguini
11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I object to a great many things too.

Is two a prime number? I thought it was always viewed as a special case. I've always been partial to 1.618 myself.

Sei'taer
11-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I object to a great many things too.

Is two a prime number? I thought it was always viewed as a special case. I've always been partial to 1.618 myself.

Me Taer...me not know what prime number mean. Taer like 9. Me not like haiku either. Make Taer head hurt more than prime number do.

Political science...Atlas Shrugged...I bet T is having a fit right now!

Welcome to our house...have a beer and a smoke if that's your thing.

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I answered in bold. I don't have any questions yet, but I'm sure once I poke around a bit more I'll come up with some.Dun be shy, and dun think that they have to be WoT oriented.

So you like FoH as well? Sweet. (It's my second favorite, The Gathering Storm is my top)

Zan, yes two is a prime number. Def of Prime Number is "Anything that's factors are nothing other than one and itself." Two fits that definition.

If you must smoke as Taer suggested, please do so far away from me. (Secondhand smoke gives me a massive headache that on average lasts a good 3 or 4 hrs...and yes, I have timed it. I have had many an opportunity, my step-family smokes like fuckin' chimneys.)

Zanguini
11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Are those kinds of chimneys worse than the regular kind... I wouldnt know I have central heat and air

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Are those kinds of chimneys worse than the regular kind... I wouldnt know I have central heat and airLol. Gunna rep you for that.

And yes, they are much worse than the normal kind of chimney. :eek:

fdsaf3
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
One thing I've learned in my time on the internet is to avoid debates regarding Ayn Rand, Objectivism, or Atlas Shrugged. I'm not saying any of you would have started anything about it, but I've just learned the hard way it's best to avoid it. So yes, I like the book, and yes, I think some of the ideas make sense. I'll leave it at that. :)

Um, so yeah.

Question for all of you: what has been the singularly most divisive debate across the whole board/forum? What I mean is what issue has caused the most fights/arguments/not-quite healed wounds (reference to Rand - intentional).

From the bit I've seen so far around here, I'm going to guess that it has something to do with Rand/LTT - is LTT real or not? Maybe there was a Big Fight of Ye Olden Days, though. That would be cool to hear about.

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Anything LTT. (two-soul vs one-soul) (Real vs Construct) [those of us disagreeing with all of the above get ignored, however]
Asmo used to be pretty touchy as well. That debate has kinda gotten almost a fondness to it now, it seems like. But then, maybe there just hasn't been a good new theory on the matter that holds water to bring out the flames again. (hmmm...water and flames...ah well, can't think well enough to make sense right now)
Though I can guarantee whoever wins the "I killed Asmo" award will make these forums explode. I personally will kill an ewok if Lanfear is the killer.

But then, I've only been here for 5 years, and a good 2 years of that was variations of lurking and hiatus for me. So I guess some of the older posters who have been here a bit longer would have a more clear idea as to what has generally divided the board most.

Zaela Sedai
11-05-2009, 09:18 PM
You are Officially welcomed with no Official Greet

/le sigh (again)

Terez
11-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I dunno, Mato....I'd say the Egwene debates tend to be the most heated in WoT discussion. But he deliberately did not limit it to WoT discussion, so you have to throw in climate change, gay marriage, and various other recurring Non debates.

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I dunno, Mato....I'd say the Egwene debates tend to be the most heated in WoT discussion. But he deliberately did not limit it to WoT discussion, so you have to throw in climate change, gay marriage, and various other recurring Non debates.Dear lord am I glad I managed to avoid the gay marriage ones. :eek:

Oh, anything Iraq, lots of things America (lookin' at you Gonzo :rolleyes: :mad: :) :p), anything Obama, anything Healthcare.

Birgitte
11-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I personally will kill an ewok if Lanfear is the killer.

LMAO

Rep'd

And WAY agree. I even love ewoks.

Zaela Sedai
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland FS!! (Ummm....I'm getting there with the greet thanks to Seal, but cant format anything but color x2!!!)As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: We don't all agree about the issues regarding the military action in Iraq. Post about this issue at your own risk. Things seem to be under control now. Though, there have been some flare-ups….be careful. We have had our own TLers over there, back home safe and sound, hope it stays that way. (I can't wait to be able to delete this Addendum.)

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 4 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. Feel free, however, to respond to Gonzo, our Resident Troll, we love him like a red-headed step child.

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~looks around~ our biggest offender has not been around for a while ~sniff~

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you. We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once. After that you get to meet a special pair of chains, Mwahahahaa

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!

Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 11:09 PM
LMAO

Rep'd

And WAY agree. I even love ewoks.Thankee kindly. And yes, I too love ewoks. It shows just how I feel on the subject.

Zanguini
11-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Climate change is a big one you dont want to get into... I am a Meteorologist and I stay out of the climate change debates.

Here lately Health Care and Vaccinations tend to be sore spots... We have as members of our illustrious(?) community Libertarians, right-wing republicans, left-wing democrats, centrists, and those who just dont give a damn. Im sure you can find your own little niche.

Sei'taer
11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
One thing I've learned in my time on the internet is to avoid debates regarding Ayn Rand, Objectivism, or Atlas Shrugged. I'm not saying any of you would have started anything about it, but I've just learned the hard way it's best to avoid it. So yes, I like the book, and yes, I think some of the ideas make sense. I'll leave it at that. :)

Somebody would have definitely started something about it! We like to fight about that kind of stuff. Some of us have a bad reputation for being on the opposite side politically, compared to most fantasy readers and writers.

Zanguini
11-06-2009, 08:48 AM
every once in a great while(not very often) posting on the non-wot board is like being trapped in a Goodkind novel

fdsaf3
11-06-2009, 08:59 PM
every once in a great while(not very often) posting on the non-wot board is like being trapped in a Goodkind novel

Fun fact: I wrote a long, angry letter to Terry Goodkind about him being a plagiarist and the worst Objectivist of all time. I mean, come on, he basically stole the philosophy of Objectivism and wrote 15 or so books about it. There's being "influenced" by an idea, and then there's blatantly stealing it. I think he did the latter.

Suffice it to say, I never got a response from him or anyone on his team. Surprise, right?

Zanguini
11-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Camel will disagree with me but the first book was interesting and perhaps a little fresh air it was nice ... nothing really spectacular but something to build it on... and then he turned it into an entire series rant about evil communism. and communism is an evil force which will destroy us all

Terez
11-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Fun fact: I wrote a long, angry letter to Terry Goodkind about him being a plagiarist and the worst Objectivist of all time. I mean, come on, he basically stole the philosophy of Objectivism and wrote 15 or so books about it. There's being "influenced" by an idea, and then there's blatantly stealing it. I think he did the latter.

Suffice it to say, I never got a response from him or anyone on his team. Surprise, right?
I'm actually surprised you didn't get a response saying you weren't old enough to read his books.

Anaiya Sedai
11-07-2009, 09:54 AM
hehe.

Welcome to TL :)

I think we can talk (or argue) about pretty much anything here.. be it grilled cheese or which way you like your toilet paper.
Just don't ask for babyname advice ;)

*roasts sausages*

DahLliA
11-07-2009, 01:02 PM
welcome to our little corner of the madness called the interwebs fdsaf :D

Matoyak
11-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Anaiya, you don't say "Grilled Cheese" and then "Roasts Sausages" in the same post. Not. Cool. :eek:

Anaiya Sedai
11-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Anaiya, you don't say "Grilled Cheese" and then "Roasts Sausages" in the same post. Not. Cool. :eek:

Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

yks 6nnetu hing
11-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Welcome Saf!

Shoes.

and I wouldn't mention Palin where Dav can hear if I were you. Or any Democrat where Sini can hear.

Other than that it really depends on who you're talking to. We have a large proportion of non-US based people here (me included) so some US-domestic issues we either don't care about or don't undertand why you guys just can't see the light :D :rolleyes:

Nazbaque
11-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Welcome saf!!

You may call me naz!!

The marshmellows start roasting as soon as I'm set on... Sare!!! You have been cheating again!!

*sigh* well we'll get straight to roasting then

*Roasts marshmellows*

*Eats his nuts*

fdsaf3
11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Question: how has the Theoryland community changed over time?

RogueSavior
11-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, I've become increasingly more and more awesome over time.

Nazbaque
11-12-2009, 05:12 AM
It was all dark, cold and gloomy.

Then I came along and brought light, warmth and happiness.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-12-2009, 06:07 AM
it used to be light green.

Anaiya Sedai
11-12-2009, 06:11 AM
we get older, thus grumpier, people talk, meet and somehow end up getting married/breaking sofas :rolleyes:
apart from that, I guess none of us will ever be able to eat certain foods and keep a straight face, want to beat each other with massive sticks if certain things get mentioned, and increasingly think we're clevererer than anybody else.
We ARE a lovable bunch, really :D

Naz, are you sure you don't need your nuts anymore? ;)

Gilshalos Sedai
11-12-2009, 08:25 AM
What a tough question to answer. Since I've been here, Oct 98 (I joined right after Bela'zamon and right before Firseal), I think we've gotten to be a close-knit community. I've had several members stay at my house and plan to again. (We never did make it to Galveston.) We have "conventions" every once in a while where we gather to argue in a hotel room and then wander around Vegas.

I count many Theorylanders among my closest friends, yes, even Sinistrum. I even married a Theorylander (not Sinistrum, thank god).

Nazbaque
11-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Of course I need my nuts! But I've got plenty more so it's okay to eat them.

Anaiya Sedai
11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Of course I need my nuts! But I've got plenty more so it's okay to eat them.

Is it wrong that I now have a VERY strange image in my head? :eek:

GonzoTheGreat
11-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Is it wrong that I now have a VERY strange image in my head? :eek:Naz is just a bit nuttier than most.

RogueSavior
11-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Well - there are a few Theorylanders I can't help but be close to. But they're relatives.

And slightly less awesome than I have become.

Nazbaque
11-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Is it wrong that I now have a VERY strange image in my head?
There is nothing wrong with having strange images in ones head. Even VERY strange ones. So long as they aren't oblong.

Naz is just a bit nuttier than most.
Oh Gonzo you silver tongue devil you.

Zaela Sedai
11-12-2009, 09:41 PM
And slightly less awesome than I have become.

Is THAT what they tell you? How generous.

TL is the best place ever :D

fdsaf3
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Does Tamrilyn ever post here?

Gilshalos Sedai
11-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Tamyrlin has 3 kids. (I think. I may have lost count.) And works full time and is currently proselytizing Theoryland on the TGS tour. That and he's lazy. He rarely posts anywhere. ;) The Heroes used to keep the board in line during his absences, but we got top-heavy. (read: too big for our britches.)

GonzoTheGreat
11-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Good question. Does anyone have the link to Tam's newbie thread?

Gilshalos Sedai
11-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I think the Hamsters ate it long ago. It went the same place mine did.