PDA

View Full Version : Q&A and Signing Questions - SLC Transcription Finished

Tamyrlin
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Note, I did not transcribe all of the Q&A questions. There were many repeats from many other signings and tours, etc.

Questions from Q&A and Signing - SLC

Question: How do you and Robert Jordan’s widow feel while working on Robert Jordan’s legacy?

Answer: I would say there is a healthy amount of reverence going on. It’s a solemn experience working with these notes. In her case it’s her husband’s legacy. In my case it is my hero’s legacy. And so, we’ve been very careful and very solemn. It has been an amazing experience for me, indescribable really. It’s like walking being the first one to walk into Davinci’s workshop after he had walked out of it and left everything there. That’s what I am. I am walking into the master’s workshop and I get to see everything before even the dust is settled. As a writer and someone who has loved these books that’s surreal and awe inspiring and daunting at the same time. And there are so many weird emotions going on connected to this that it is actually hard to explain, but yeah reverence. It’s a reverent sort of thing to work on this book.

~Skipped question about A Memory of Light titling and explanation~

Question: Robert Jordan uses a great deal of mythology and lore in his books.

Answer: My answer is, I’m doing my darndest. One thing I love and always have loved about the Wheel of Time is Robert Jordan’s use of mythology. He doesn’t use mythology in kind of almost, how should I say, the bubble gum pop version of it that you see in some other fantasy works. There is a depth and a reality to his mythology that has always amazed me. One of the greatest concepts is what he says in that first paragraph: an Age long past, an Age yet to come. I didn’t get these things the first read through, I was a fifteen-year-old kid I didn’t know what’s going on. I didn’t notice the first time I was reading it that Buzz Aldren and the Cold War are referenced as mythological events in the Eye of the World. […] I love how he’s used mythology as his history and just how Mat in particular but a lot of them are founding myths that become our mythology. I don’t know if you guys have read up on Odin and Locke. Go read up on the mythology of Odin and Locke. They were actually thought to be one person in all of the original myths. See the things attributed to them, including things like ravens and the spear of Odin and things like thi. And then see what Mat is doing. The idea is that Mat is actually founding these myths and by the time our Age comes we remember Mat but we have all of this other mythology associated with him and we’ve forgotten that he was even known as Mat. That’s just genius So, I’m doing my best to continue that. It would be very easy to over do it in fan sort of a way. I have to be very careful to not put a reference to something like that in every chapter just because it’s fun. But if you search through The Gathering Storm you should be able to find a few things that are happening. Particularly, I don’t want to give any hints, but the things happening in Hinderstap were intended as things that through a lot of mythology later on become myths in our time. There are references to writers from our world being referenced in The Gathering Storm among books people are studying.

Question: Are you studying up on military tactics?

Answer: Yes, Harriet has sent me multiple large volumes of military tactics which she said Robert Jordan had been using and that I should reference, even specific battles, historical battles that he had talked about as references for battles. The answer is yes, I have a lot of reading to do, specifically for the last battle.

Question: How do you think working on these books will influence your future books.

Answer: That’s a good question…It has had a couple of effects. One thing, partially Harriet’s pushing me on concrete details has helped me a lot. Harriet is very good at that as an editor. She is one of the best editors in the field. I don’t know if you guys are familiar and aware of Harriet’s history. Editors don’t get a lot of fame, it all kind of goes to the authors but she was the first person Tom Daugherty hired when he founded Tor, she was his Editorial Director which means she was in charge of all of the editorial side. She edited some of the greatest books in the field over the last thirty years. She edited Ender’s Game for instance. If you have ever read that book, that was brought to us through the efforts of Harriet McDougal, Robert Jordan’s wife, before she even met him (rest of the answer cut off).

~Missed a few questions when the video feed cut~

Question: Which characters did you find the easiest to write and which ones did you find were the hardest to write?

Answer: Easy and hard? I would say the most natural ones for me to write were Rand and Egwene. I’m not sure why. Perrin was very natural for me as well. The Two Rivers folk, the kids from Two Rivers that I’ve grown up with as my friends from high school that just feel like my buddies and think kind of…well Rand doesn’t think like I do anymore but you know what I mean. The hardest single person to write was Aviendha because Aiel are so odd and they think so strangely and getting her right I actually had to throw away two chapters. I wrote one from her perspective threw it away. Wrote another one, it wasn’t right, sent it to Charleston and said what am I doing wrong and they are like you are doing it wrong and I said I know, what am I doing wrong and Harriet gave me some pointers I tossed that one and wrote a third one and that is when it started to work. Tuon was not terribly easy either, but I had a little more practice by the time I wrote Tuon and so I got her on the first try but it was after a lot of research. So, there you go, Aviendha, hard to write, she’s crazy. She would say that she isn’t because she would say she acts the most normal of everyone.

~skipped question of how he keeps track of all of the characters and plots…it’s a very involved answer~

Note: Brandon said that he wrote seventeen drafts of The Gathering Storm trying to get it right.

Question: Slayer, is he going to be in the thirteen or fourteenth book?

Answer: He has a role to play in both, you will see him in both, probably. Unless you know he dies in the thirteenth, because he very well might. So, he has a role to play, yet.

~skipped a few repetitive questions…Padan Fain will show up at some point in the next two books~

Question: Are you going to discuss Moiraine in the future?

Answer: Way to give me a great out. Moiraine will be mentioned in future books. […] In future books there will certainly be references. Her name will at least be mentioned, at the very least in the Appendix. In fact, I think in The Gathering Storm the entire letter to Thom is in the Appendix.

Questions During the Signing

The first two questions I wrote down from memory, because the recording was not functional at the time.

Question: Was the taint influential in the creation/development/existence of the voice of Lews Therin in Rand's head?

Brandon answered that the taint was influential, but not the only factor. He referenced Semirhage, that of course we can't believe the Forsaken always, but yes, that the taint was an influence in the the voice. That we have to accept that in fact, in a way, Rand is going insane (as in as the books progress).

Question: In essence, are One Power and True Power balefire the same.

He answered that the True Power is another source of power, that Aes Sedai were researching another source, like a different form of battery, to power their weaves and that in for balefire, what it does is essentially the same between both power sources, but that it has different affects on the individual using the power source (this appeared to be a reference to what True Power does to its user).

Question: Was Ishamael partially, or was he responsible for the initiation of the three oaths. Was he a part of what brought them about?

Answer: That’s a MAFO. Type that one out. That’s a MAFO.

Question: Perrin is chasing Slayer in T’A’R, does Slayer actually disappear into the Tower of Ghenjei or does he disappear from the Dream.

Answer: That’s actually something I wondered and I asked and that’s a RAFO. Both Slayer and the Tower of Ghenjei are things that are reserved for the Towers of Midnight.

Question: Do the Finns care whether or not the Dark One wins?

Answer: RAFO.

Question: Why do the Aiel revere and protect blacksmiths?

Answer: It has a lot to do with the fact that without the blacksmiths there can be no warriors. The blacksmiths are the ones who make the spears and who keep them going. But, in a way the blacksmiths are among those who sacrifice being able to go and fight themselves so that others can and that’s kind of a holy calling to the Aiel. There is also a lot of spirituality to it related to where they live, being in the desolate wasteland and the whole concept of being forged. […] There is a spiritual aspect to a blacksmith forging something because of the place that they live. Those are the two of the main reasons. It’s cultural which means there is going to be more than one reason that it is deeply ingrained, but those are two big ones that roll of the top that are in the notes.

Question: We know that the Karaethon Cycle and the Essanik Cycle are different. Is that because there were different contributors to each, or some other reason (like tampering by Ishy)? Which is more correct?

Answer: The Essanik cycle had only in Seanchan and there were different contributors. Which is more correct? I’m not going to say which is more correct. There has been tampering…

Follow-up Question: In both?

Answer: People are not perfect, alright? Let’s just say that and there are lots of forces at work. The Essanik cycle, they have tried to preserve it as perfectly as they can. If the Outriggers ever get written there will be more information about what the Essanik cycle is. It is had only in Seanchan. It was given by damane in Seanchan, so nobody knows about it on the main continent.

Question: Is the Court of Nine Moons something that moves with the Empress. In other words, wherever the Empress is holding court is that the Court of Nine Moons?

Answer: I think that would be subject of debate, depending on what…I think that if the Empress were to declare herself on a different continent she would expect that it would and I think there would be those that would argue with her and wouldn’t expect that it would. Does that make sense? So, my answer would be that it would move with the Empress, but there are those that would disagree with me and with the Empress, may she live forever.

Question: There is a character in the book that appears to die on page 574...

Answer: ~reads page~…there is a woman that actually dies here…(couldn't decipher for certain if this was a statement or a moving question/comment)

Question: Did this character actually die?

Answer: Let’s go on record with this, I am not going to say until after Towers of Midnight, but I will…they are looking for a “toast” comment, and I am not going to give the “toast” comment yet. The scene that I’m talking about, there will be things related to it in the next book, so I don’t want to say yet. Corner me after Towers of Midnight and I will give you a definitive answer, but Towers of Midnight may in itself give a definitive answer.

Question: Is it an assumption that we haven’t seen the last of these individuals right here (I was pointing at the Seanchan assassins)?

Answer: There were five sent. We know one is dead. The other four, they may have lived or died through the assault, it was pretty chaotic, but they are expert warriors with ter’angreal focused on letting them hide.

Question: How long does that affect last? Days?

Answer: That affect can be stretched if they take it off, for several weeks. It is going to kill them eventually. If they are wearing it straight, it’s not going to last long, a matter of days, but if they take it off they can hide for a matter of weeks. So, there are four unaccounted for, who have orders to kill as many Aes Sedai as they can.

Question: You had a quote that we all talked about just recently, that there is a small detail with this secret thing. There were two quotes we put together where you told somebody from Chicago where you say this detail first comes out between books 4-6. Is that verified?

Answer: It’s been going for a long time. Somewhere in four and six the first hints of it are mentioned.

Question: But that’s not the only time it’s ever mentioned?

Answer: It’s not the only time it’s ever mentioned. It is…hints about this hidden thing appear in pretty much…in several of the books. It first, somewhere in one of those three is the beginning of where it shows up. The first hint that you get. […] I mean, it’s a small thing that means something large, that sort of thing…and you guys are very good at finding things and I’m not going to say whether you hit it or not.

Tamyrlin
11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Should we have a Towers of Midnight Board? It feels like we should, as I seen a few questions in here that could be considered small Towers of Midnight spoilers (such as topics and characters to be seen in ToM).

Thoughts?

Kurtz
11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Great stuff

Kurtz
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Should we have a Towers of Midnight Board? It feels like we should, as I seen a few questions in here that could be considered small Towers of Midnight spoilers (such as topics and characters to be seen in ToM).

Thoughts?

Might be interesting, though i'm not sure there's enough to warrant it. If there is i'm not sure if I want to know!

greatwolf
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Brandon answered that the taint was influential, but not the only factor. He referenced Semirhage, that of course we can't believe the Forsaken always, but yes, that the taint was an influence in the the voice. That we have to accept that in fact, in a way, Rand is going insane (as in as the books progress).

Not instantaneous then. I wonder if he means Rand is not yet insane? :confused:

Weird Harold
11-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Thoughts?
Not if the hints are no more surprising than the comment about the TOG and Slayer. We already know the ToG has to be visited because of Moraine's letter to Thom and Slayer has to be resolved somehow. It's hardly a spoiler that it might happen in one book rather than the other.

Trutino
11-05-2009, 08:07 PM

Thoughts?

Yes, please!

Belazamon
11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Not instantaneous then. I wonder if he means Rand is not yet insane? :confused:
No. That's what the "as the books progress" comments mean. Over the course of (all) the books, Rand is going insane.

Ishara
11-06-2009, 08:07 AM
1. I personally don't see the need for a ToM Board, given that the "spoilers" are more common sense plot points that must occur in the future.

2. Question: You had a quote that we all talked about just recently, that there is a small detail with this secret thing. There were two quotes we put together where you told somebody from Chicago where you say this detail first comes out between books 4-6. Is that verified?

Answer: Itís been going for a long time. Somewhere in four and six the first hints of it are mentioned.

Question: But thatís not the only time itís ever mentioned?

Answer: Itís not the only time itís ever mentioned. It isÖhints about this hidden thing appear in pretty muchÖin several of the books. It first, somewhere in one of those three is the beginning of where it shows up. The first hint that you get. [Ö] I mean, itís a small thing that means something large, that sort of thingÖand you guys are very good at finding things and Iím not going to say whether you hit it or not.

What is this referring to? Asmodean?

Davian93
11-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Nah, we don't need no stinking ToM board.

X.X.
11-06-2009, 10:06 AM
What is this referring to? Asmodean?

There's another thread where Branderson said there was a small detail that first appears somewhere in books 4 - 6 that's supposed to end up being huge. On top of that, according to Branderson, it's a detail that's evidently been glossed over by the fans.

As for his response here... so it's an some innocuous detail that first showed up in those books but has since persisted. That should make it slightly easier. But yeah...way to pick a volume range where arguable the most happened.

Marie Curie 7
11-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Question: Robert Jordan uses a great deal of mythology and lore in his books.

Answer: My answer is, Iím doing my darndest. One thing I love and always have loved about the Wheel of Time is Robert Jordanís use of mythology. He doesnít use mythology in kind of almost, how should I say, the bubble gum pop version of it that you see in some other fantasy works. There is a depth and a reality to his mythology that has always amazed me. One of the greatest concepts is what he says in that first paragraph: an Age long past, an Age yet to come. I didnít get these things the first read through, I was a fifteen-year-old kid I didnít know whatís going on. I didnít notice the first time I was reading it that Buzz Aldren and the Cold War are referenced as mythological events in the Eye of the World. [Ö] I love how heís used mythology as his history and just how Mat in particular but a lot of them are founding myths that become our mythology. I donít know if you guys have read up on Odin and Locke. Go read up on the mythology of Odin and Locke. They were actually thought to be one person in all of the original myths.

Well, he's right about stuff from our time showing up in the Wheel of Time, of course, but it really wasnít Buzz Aldrin, lol. The line is:

TITLE: Eye of the World
CHAPTER: 4 - The Gleeman

"Tell us about Lenn," Egwene called. "How he flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire. Tell about his daughter Salya walking among the stars."

This is about John Glenn, not Buzz Aldrin (and Sally Ride, of course). :) But really, the legend is twisted (as we might expect) because John Glenn never went to the moon, though he was arguably the most famous astronaut. Glenn was not the first person to walk on the moon, but he was the first American to orbit the earth, so his story is mixed up with Neil Armstrong's story, who is the one who (along with Buzz Aldrin) went to the moon and landed in the Eagle (the lunar module of Apollo 11) and was the first person to walk on the moon.

nameless
11-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Next you'll be telling me that Moscow was actually a city and not a giant with a 1,000 mile long spear. I'll never understand history...

greatwolf
11-07-2009, 01:39 AM
No. That's what the "as the books progress" comments mean. Over the course of (all) the books, Rand is going insane.

Gonig insane = not yet insane

Right? :confused:

E : I think its a bit early to chew ToM. tGS hasn't gone down yet but that's me though.

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Well, he's right about stuff from our time showing up in the Wheel of Time, of course, but it really wasn’t Buzz Aldrin, lol. The line is:
TITLE: Eye of the World
CHAPTER: 4 - The Gleeman

"Tell us about Lenn," Egwene called. "How he flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire. Tell about his daughter Salya walking among the stars."

This is about John Glenn, not Buzz Aldrin (and Sally Ride, of course). :) But really, the legend is twisted (as we might expect) because John Glenn never went to the moon, though he was arguably the most famous astronaut. Glenn was not the first person to walk on the moon, but he was the first American to orbit the earth, so his story is mixed up with Neil Armstrong's story, who is the one who (along with Buzz Aldrin) went to the moon and landed in the Eagle (the lunar module of Apollo 11) and was the first person to walk on the moon.Salya Lennsdaughter may be Sally Ride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Ride).

Terez
11-07-2009, 05:13 AM
You should really have some coffee, Gonzo.

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Working on that right now. It's still hot, so I can't drink the whole cup at once.

Belazamon
11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Gonig insane = not yet insane

Right? :confused:
No.

It's not like there's some magical dividing line where you can suddenly say "huzzah, he's made it all the way to crazy!"

Weird Harold
11-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Salya Lennsdaughter may be Sally Ride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Ride).
Also might be "Salyut" which was a soviet space capsule type.

More probably "Salya" is both of those and a couple of other things/people.

greatwolf
11-07-2009, 01:11 PM
No.

It's not like there's some magical dividing line where you can suddenly say "huzzah, he's made it all the way to crazy!"

Line?

Thing is, BS's statement means that Rand may not even be insane at all. But he is in the process of going mad.

JSUCamel
11-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Also might be "Salyut" which was a soviet space capsule type.

More probably "Salya" is both of those and a couple of other things/people.

From the Budapest interviews:

Q: There is a widespread debate on the internet: you mentioned some tales of times like Mosk and MerkÖdoes it have any connection with America and Moscow?
RJ: Yes. I thought that one was very obvious.
Q: (various mumblings about Anla)
H: Anla, the Wise Counselor, she was the most popular advice columnist in the United States. Do you know Abby and Ann[?]? You write to the paper with a problem, you know, ďWhat shall I do?Ē, and she tells you. But her name was Ann Landers.
RJ: And she was the most widely distributed advice columnist for what? 40 years? In the United States, and syndicated in newspapers all over the country. Anla the Wise Counselor was Ann Landers.
Q: We would never have guessed it.
RJ: No, but I try not to throw in everything that that people are going to guess immediately.
H: And Salya?
RJ: No, letís not talk about Salya. [Q confused]. Salya, who walked among the stars? Lenn, who went to the moon in the belly of a fire eagle? Yes? And his daughter Salya who walked among the stars? [much mumbling] No, she didnít Ė she wasnít on the Challenger. Sally Ride was the first female American astronaut. So, thatís Salya, who in this thing has become the daughter of Lenn, who was John Glenn, who did not go to the moon in an eagle, but flies to the moon in the belly of a ďfire eagleĒÖ
H [interrupts]: And is relationship to Salya. Thatís how it works.
RJ: But thatís the whole thing, in these books: itís giving you hints, really, and it was the way it was giving you hints, clearly, as to the way things are working in the books, that these are the source of legends, but itís not in any way a straightforward retelling. What two or three men have done will be compressed to make one story, or what one man has done may be split up into two different men Ė this partís given to somebody else, and that partís given to that one - and he himself is completely forgotten. I put these things there in a way as a clue, a hint to you: this is the way things are working in these books, this is what has come of things that are somewhat recognizable from our time. What myths have risen out of them? So, you see how the distortion has happened. What myths are going to arise out of the events of these books? Itís not going to be just another telling of what happens in these books Ė itís all going to be twisted and woven together in ways that nobody who was there at the events would ever recognize.

Belazamon
11-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Thing is, BS's statement means that Rand may not even be insane at all. But he is in the process of going mad.
Stating your opinion as a fact does not make it any less your opinion. And I don't agree with your opinion.

greatwolf
11-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Stating your opinion as a fact does not make it any less your opinion. And I don't agree with your opinion.

Why? Because you can't abandon the construct theory?

Tamyrlin
11-07-2009, 03:20 PM
That we as readers must accept that as we read we are witnessing him going insane. Plus, I paraphrased what I remember of the questions and answer (stupid computer wasn't recording). It would require additional questions to get clarification.

Belazamon
11-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Because I think you're clearly, blindingly, unbelievably wrong. Does that explain it well enough?

On second thought, yeah. That's it. :rolleyes:

greatwolf
11-07-2009, 04:52 PM
That we as readers must accept that as we read we are witnessing him going insane. Plus, I paraphrased what I remember of the questions and answer (stupid computer wasn't recording). It would require additional questions to get clarification.

Yes that what I thought he said, but does that mean he is still in the process of going insane or not? With what BS said, all we can rule out is that Rand suddenly went mad. When or if he is already insane cannot be ascertained from this.

I think most people accept that Rand has serious mental issues. That's realistic, he wouldn't be human if he wasn't under severe psychological strain right now.

But anything that claims that Rand is so far gone into a psychiatric illness that conjures up a voice for his actions, especially as far back as TSH (where LT speaks for the first time) or EotW (where Rand channels for the first time and first gets directions from a voice) is flat out being unrealistic. And the WoT is one of the most (if not the most) realistic fantasy series ever.

nameless
11-07-2009, 06:12 PM

Tobias: There's a psychological concept known as denial that I believe you're evincing. It's when a thought is so hateful that the mind literally rejects it.
Lucille: You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son-in-law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.
Tobias: Well, if she's not going to say anything I certainly can't help her.

RJ said that Rand is gradually going to go insane. BS said Rand is gradually going insane. Every character in the book who thinks about it thinks that Rand is gradually going insane. Obviously, the people who think he's insane are just grasping at straws out of stubborn refusal to abandon their pet theories :P

Belazamon
11-08-2009, 02:06 AM
But anything that claims that Rand is so far gone into a psychiatric illness that conjures up a voice for his actions, especially as far back as TSH (where LT speaks for the first time) or EotW (where Rand channels for the first time and first gets directions from a voice) is flat out being unrealistic.
I... just... I...

~head explodes~

Sodas
11-08-2009, 02:08 AM
That we as readers must accept that as we read we are witnessing him going insane.

When? In the book or in the series?

Because it's obvious that Rand goes insane in tGS in a way he never did before.

Terez
11-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Just wanted to say....after going through...what? 11 stormleader reports tonight?....that I LOVE YOU TAM. You gave me about 10x as much work to do in the interview database as the rest of the reporters combined. And that is awesome.

Tamyrlin
11-16-2009, 09:22 AM
As far as I recall from his answer.

FelixPax
11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Well, he's right about stuff from our time showing up in the Wheel of Time, of course, but it really wasn’t Buzz Aldrin, lol. The line is:

This is about John Glenn, not Buzz Aldrin (and Sally Ride, of course). :) But really, the legend is twisted (as we might expect) because John Glenn never went to the moon, though he was arguably the most famous astronaut.

Let's see John Glenn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn) later become a U.S. Senator of Ohio to Congress after his space missions, and Sally Ride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Ride) become a Professor at UCSD for about a decade after the her time with NASA.

So assuming WoT has an after-life, pointing finger at Rand, Nynaeve et la characters and their places in broader society...what is in store for them after T'G? When mythical fame meets reality? Will some become future mythical "Legends" and famous leaders as seems to be suggested in tGS, for Mat?

DeiwosTheSkyGod
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I've always wondered how Nynaeve would become the basis for the Lady of the Lake. I don't know much about Arthur stories, but nothing obvious seems to correlate, from the little I do know.

AbbeyRoad
11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
But anything that claims that Rand is so far gone into a psychiatric illness that conjures up a voice for his actions, especially as far back as TSH (where LT speaks for the first time) or EotW (where Rand channels for the first time and first gets directions from a voice) is flat out being unrealistic.
Are you serious?

Rand is going insane. Slowly and inevitably over the course of the novels. His actions and thoughts grow more or more crazy as the books progress. Is there a specific point where Rand is suddenly insane? Well, what is a heap of sand? If you add one grain of sand, it isn't suddenly a heap of sand. And if you take away one grain of sand from a heap, it's still a heap. However, a heap of sand is a goddamn heap of sand. There's no distinct line when Rand suddenly becomes insane, but by tGS, trust me, he's bonkers. I seriously question anyone's sanity who assumes that Rand is somehow sane as of tGS before "Veins of Gold."