PDA

View Full Version : C.S. Lewis

Terez
11-05-2009, 11:32 PM
TITLE - The Gathering Storm
CHAPTER: 10 - The Last of the Tabac

Those eyes. Those were eyes which had seen death a number of times. Not just a young lord. A young general. Ituralde narrowed his eyes. "Who are you?"

The stranger met his eyes. "I am Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn. And I need you. You and your army."

Several of those with Ituralde cursed, and Ituralde glanced at them. Wakeda was incredulous, Rajabi surprised, young Lidrin openly dismissive.

Ituralde looked back at the newcomer. The Dragon Reborn? This youth? He supposed it could be possible. Most rumors agreed that the Dragon Reborn was a young man with red hair. But, then, rumors also claimed he was ten feet tall, and still others said his eyes glowed in dim light. And then there were the stories of him appearing in the sky at Falme. Blood and ashes, Ituralde didn't know if he believed that the Dragon had been reborn in the first place!

"I haven't time to argue," the stranger said, face impassive. He seemed . . . older than he looked. He didn't appear to care that he was surrounded by armed soldiers. In fact, his coming alone ... it should have seemed like such a foolish act. Instead it made Ituralde thoughtful. Only one such as the Dragon Reborn himself could stride into a war camp like this, completely alone, and expect to be obeyed.

Burn him, if that fact by itself didn't make Ituralde want to believe him. Either this man was who he claimed to be or he was an utter lunatic.
Did anyone else read this, and think of this (http://www.existence-of-god.com/lord-liar-lunatic.html)?

I'd bet it was a deliberate reference by BS (and not the sort of thing RJ would have done, not that it bothers me or anything - C.S. Lewis's logic was faulty, as it didn't take into consideration the possibility that the scriptures were altered).

Kurtz
11-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Irish http://www.b3ta.cr3ation.co.uk/data/gif/4705.adoremirror.gif

Terez
11-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Expatriate. :p

Kurtz
11-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Born and bred :cool:

Terez
11-06-2009, 12:10 AM
I bet he didn't drink whiskey much.

Kurtz
11-06-2009, 12:13 AM
I bet he didn't drink whiskey much.

Indeed, that's why '6 bottles of wine a night' Joyce triumphs over him.

a dragonburned fool
11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I'd bet it was a deliberate reference by BS (and not the sort of thing RJ would have done, not that it bothers me or anything - C.S. Lewis's logic was faulty, as it didn't take into consideration the possibility that the scriptures were altered).I don't think that one has to have read C.S.Lewis to make a use of logic like this. I can remember innumerous cases in different novels when a character shows demonstrative negligence to obvious dangers, and other characters referencing it as him being either a fool or a really great person.

Light, even RJ uses something close to such dichotomy. E.g.:
KoD, chapter 37
"As you say. Highness." Musenge's voice was so neutral he could have been commenting on the price of beans. Strange. He did not
look like a diffident man. "I have always been ready to die for her." There was no need for him to say which "her" he meant.
"I guess I am, too. Musenge." Light, he thought he meant that! Yes, he did mean it. Did that mean he was in love? "Better to live for
her. though, wouldn't you say?"
"Should you not be donning your armor. Highness?"
"I don't intend getting close enough to the fighting to need armor. A general who draws his sword has put aside his baton and become
a common soldier."
He was only quoting Comadrin again—he seemed to do that a lot when discussing soldiering, but then, the man had known just about
everything there was to know about the craft—just quoting, yet it appeared to impress the weathered man, who saluted him again and
asked bloody permission before riding back to his men.It is a moment while Musenge doesn't believe that he and Mat will survive, and he obviously doesn't believe Mat believes he will survive. But yet Mat shows (from Musenge's perspective) singns to neglect obvious measures for every sensible soldier under such circumstances. And Musenge is highly impressed by that (even if later Mat thinks that he was rather a fool to not hare armor). Musenge's appparent conclusions here seem to me very much like those Ituralde makes in yous example.

And, with risk to be blamed for thread-hijacking, I don't agree C.S.Lewis missed to address the possibility of the Scripture being corrupted. It's rather a case of the possibility Scripture being untrustworthy. In wich case, since we have no other source, every other theories about what Jesus really was are nothing but wild speculations, so instead of claiming he was such and such teacher, wouldn't it be more honest to just say "we don't know". Seems completely sound for me.

Terez
11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't think that one has to have read C.S.Lewis to make a use of logic like this.
I didn't say anything like that. But I bet BS has read C.S. Lewis. ;) It's the wording that makes me think it was a direct reference.

I don't agree C.S.Lewis missed to address the possibility of the Scripture being corrupted.
You addressed it (sort of). C.S. Lewis did not.