PDA

View Full Version : saidin and the taint

Yellowbeard
11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
so if touching saidin to the DO is what allowed saidin to be tainted, and the touching was done by placing the seals, and since at least 3 of the seals are still in place (i think it's 3), then saidin is still touching the DO thru the seals.

why doesn't the DO retaint saidin thru the seals that are still touching the DO?

matrimzombie
11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Maybe he is? Maybe its a subtle long term corruption like when the Ways fell dark. Maybe the reduced number of seals reduces the amount of his essense he is allowed to pour through?

Maybe the gains don't justify the effort required to do it? Consider TG is just around the corner...

Maybe I say maybe way too much.

JSUCamel
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Maybe I say maybe way too much.

Maybe. ;)

greatwolf
11-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Nice thought here. We are not aware of the exact circumstances surrounding the tainting of saidin. Obviously its more than just channeling saidin at the DO because the DO could have had any of the forsaken channel saidin at him all this while. Its likely that the circumstances were unique at the time of the sealing.

However it doesn't mean that the DO will not try to recreate those circumstances. We'll have to see.

Sei'taer
11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
What exactly was the taint on saidin? Dark ones blood? Or his essence? Or...what? I don't know if anyone ever really said.

nameless
11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe the flows holding the remaining seals are tied off and therefore no longer connected directly to the Source? Or maybe saidin was involved in creating the seals but they maintain themselves without any Power at all, so the only time the Source came into contact with the Dark One was when the seals were actually being put into place around his prison. We simply don't have enough information about them to come to any real conclusions.

tworiverswoman
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I think there is a difference between an active weave vs. a static weave, in terms of the DO's ability to taint saidin. The backlash was able to effect the male half of the power because 100 males channellers were giving it all they had to close the bore. I'm not sure how the seals work, but in my head they act like ... stiches, or knots. The active channelling was needed to pull together the "edges" of the open bore, and the seals placed at seven critical points along the seam to help hold it together.

How that works with them being all over the physical map I have no idea...

But I don't think the Dark One can do any damage to saidin just by messing with the seals. If Rand is silly enough to try to repeat LTT's attempt, then it's probable that the DO could reapply the taint (whatever it actually is) but I'm pretty sure Rand is going to have a different solution.

Eventually.

We hope.