PDA

View Full Version : The key to the Dark One's defeat?... Semantics

matrimzombie
11-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Verin Sedai is a darkfriend.. okay, that makes alot of sense to me.

Verin Sedai joined the Black Ajah because she was presented with the choice of joining or dying... Okay, many people would make that choice honestly.

Verin Sedai dedicated her life to tracking down how the Black Ajah/Darkfriend/Chosen network operates. Including the names of all the Black Ajah she can get her hands on. She does this with the intention of eventually betraying the Dark One by exploiting a loophole in one of her oaths to obey. WWWWHAAAATTT?

You mean to tell me the Dark One wasn't aware of this going on? Shaidar Haran never thought to look in on this Black Sister who seemed to be doing whatever she wanted to do, whenever she wanted to do it without any direction?

Seriously? This is the one part of tGS that really bothered me. It seemed like everyone else really liked the scene. Is there anyone else other than me that thought it was just.... off? I mean, it makes the Dark One look... well, just stupid. A third grader wouldn't fall for that plot device.

The End.

Terez
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Until the point at which she revealed the information, she was just studying the Black. Verin made it quite clear that she did, in fact, follow her orders. She wasn't just doing her own thing.

GonzoTheGreat
11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't think Verin has been close to Rand at any time when the Shadow wanted him dead.
I do wonder why she was never ordered to kill either Mat or Perrin, though. I know that I've given that as a strong reason to think she wasn't Black in the past.

matrimzombie
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Until the point at which she revealed the information, she was just studying the Black. Verin made it quite clear that she did, in fact, follow her orders. She wasn't just doing her own thing.

How could she have possibly been following her orders? There has been a bounty on Matrim and Perrin for several books. She even warns Mat in a indirect way that this particular bounty is currently paramount to the Dark One's plan. And yet, not only did she not kill Matrim, she goes out of her way to help him.

At the very least, Verin's betrayal of the Dark One exposes him as a careless fool.

My problem isn't the loophole in the Oaths... thats kinda funny. Its that same entity that up until this point has always intellectually been a step ahead of the forces of light, was duped by a play on words.

Kurtz
11-06-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't think Verin has been close to Rand at any time when the Shadow wanted him dead.
I do wonder why she was never ordered to kill either Mat or Perrin, though. I know that I've given that as a strong reason to think she wasn't Black in the past.

She may have been ordered to kill them. She certainly searched for them. What are her instructions to Mat? Perhaps she followed her orders and has tried to kill Mat, but also tried to save him via her letter. Or something.

matrimzombie
11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
She may have been ordered to kill them. She certainly searched for them. What are her instructions to Mat? Perhaps she followed her orders and has tried to kill Mat, but also tried to save him via her letter. Or something.

I've wondered if the contents of that letter weren't her way of getting around her oath.

GonzoTheGreat
11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
She wasn't following orders in tGS, that's for sure. But until then, she might have been obeying the orders she got. And she may have avoided getting some orders she didn't want to obey.

In the first few books, while Ishamael was giving orders to have Mat and Perrin killed, the other Forsaken either ignored them (most) or just chatted a bit with them in order to get information on another ta'veren.
If Verin had been recruited/scooped up/whatever by Lanfear, as many believe, then she wouldn't have gotten orders to kill the two until very late in the game. By that time, Rand had send both of them away, and Verin no longer was in a position where she had to choose between obeying or defecting.

It may be that the original BA Oath was formulated in the Old Tongue, and didn't have this loophole then. The problem may have appeared only when some BA committee translated their oaths. Ishamael may not even have known this ever happened. And since most BA join because they want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not many of them would be inclined to kill themselves in a way that leaves them unable to move and a bit unwell too. So there probably haven't been many earlier such cases.

Upon rereading, I saw that Egwene revealed to Sheriam how Verin had managed to get past the Oath. So in the future, this loophole will be plugged.

Matoyak
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Why is this titled the way it is? o_O?

Anyways, should we have any reason to doubt that Verin talking with mat, and Verin talking with Egwene were more than an hour apart?

Also, even Demandred is unsure just how much of the world the DO knows about. And we've seen firsthand how free a lot of the darkfriends are able to be, even when following directions. I don't think the Verin thing is any one bit out of the realm of possibility.

AbbeyRoad
11-06-2009, 05:24 PM
The DO him/itself is not personally responsible for keeping track of every Black Ajah member (over 200), all of the darkfriends, etc. He views many of his followers as insignificant, and he has enough trouble with his Chosen following orders as is. He relies on delegation and the Black Ajah as an institution to appropriate his major orders, and doesn't put his direct hand in too many events. I could easily see Verin skirting around her BA orders (much like most Aes Sedai do with any orders) that she felt she could could, and only fulfilling the major ones she had no way of avoiding.

The Dark One is not omniscient, and has bigger things on his mind.

ShadowbaneX
11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
what did the light get out of this? 50 dead BA and likely not too many of them all that powerful? The rest of fled, away from the Tower before the Seanchan assault. There's still alot of them out there, only now, when they meet it will be in open warfare and not subtle political maneuvering. As Rand has said, Tarmon Gaidon is upon us. The maneuvering is almost all but done, and the time for battle will be soon, and the BA can do that in places other then the Tower.

Neilbert
11-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't think she swore an oath to follow orders. There's a difference between not following orders and betrayal, which an Aes Sedai could easily rationalize her way around.

Ivhon
11-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Also noteworthy that for a very long time she has been conspicuously away from both the Tower and Salidar AS and anyplace where any of the Forsaken are known to be. Given the small number of AS around Rand, it is unlikely that there would be anyone that she would be forced to take orders from.

Terez
11-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, she claims to have seen Mesaana twice. That might have been in The Dragon Reborn, when Mat was in the Tower. You could say it was before then, of after I suppose, but Mesaana was mainly set up in the Tower, and Verin hadn't been in the Tower since right around the time the Forsaken were released (as she went with Siuan as soon as news of Fal Dara reached them, and left from there to go after Rand).

1Powerslave
11-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the Dark One simply didn't know of Verin's betrayals. Alviarin is head of the Black and even she is rarely ordered. And as Alviarin thinks, the Black cannot act that much, cause it would reveal them if they cause too much mischief.

But one point that the Black Ajah should have grown suspicious of Verin is when she delivered the Horn to the Tower. Otherwise she's managed to stay away from dangerous orders that would have forced her to reveal herself. Alternatively she just killed those who found her out.

Azure Skeith
11-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Upon rereading, I saw that Egwene revealed to Sheriam how Verin had managed to get past the Oath. So in the future, this loophole will be plugged.

"Well, well," Sheriam said, settling back on her chair. "Never expected it of her, I'll say. How did she get past the oaths to the Great Lord?"
"She drank poison," Egwene said, heart twisting.
"Very clever." The flame-haired woman nodded. "I could never bring myself to do such a thing. Never indeed. . . ."
Egwene wove bonds of Air and wrapped Sheriam in them, then tied off the weaves. ....

Sheriam found out while being captured and was quickly beheaded the next day. I doubt that she was able to pass on the information to fix the loophole.

Uno
11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Ok...maybe I'm missing something, but I'm going to state the painfully obvious, anyway, just in case.

It shouldn't be that hard for Verin to get around orders she doesn't really want to obey. After all, as she makes quite clear to Egwene, black sisters are bound to obey neither the Forsaken nor other Darkfriends higher than themselves in the hierarchy. They can "double-cross other Darkfriends" and even "turn against the Chosen if you can justify it."

But we knew that much already, as Liandrin did, in fact, try to attack Moghedien in FOH (ch. 18), after it had become clear that she was one of the Forsaken. Moghedien put her through a lot of pain on that occasion, but that only convinced Liandrin "that she dared not even think of trying again until she was certain of success." It's obviously a good idea to obey the Forsaken if you're a black sister, but it's not like you're compelled to do so.

I imagine they have to obey the Dark One, but I don't Verin's very likely to have received instructions directly from the man himself.

ShadowbaneX
11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm just gonna state that perhaps the Dark One is well aware of that clause and actually wants it to be there.

Belazamon
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm just gonna state that perhaps the Dark One is well aware of that clause and actually wants it to be there.
Chaos rules!

nameless
11-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I think it comes down to selfishness. If any darkfriend is capable of sacrificing themselves in order to betray their oaths they're by definition too unpredictable for him to want their allegiance in the first place.

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Sheriam found out while being captured and was quickly beheaded the next day. I doubt that she was able to pass on the information to fix the loophole.Your assumption is correct, if Sheriam didn't get a dream visit after her capture (if she did, that would explain why all the BA left the Tower), and if none of the AS who were present ever was interrogated on what they knew.

A secret known to two is only safe when one of them is dead.
Verin knew this, and took the conclusion to its end. Egwene either did not know, or deliberately ignored this lesson. She had no reason at all to reveal the identity of the one that had passed the information on to her, nor did she have a good reason for revealing how it had been made possible.

Blabbing your mouth off to show to your captured opponent how very clever you are is what evil lords do. Egwene may be evil, but she ain't a lord.

Azure Skeith
11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Your assumption is correct, if Sheriam didn't get a dream visit after her capture (if she did, that would explain why all the BA left the Tower), and if none of the AS who were present ever was interrogated on what they knew.

While this is certainly possible, I don't believe it to be probable. I think we can all agree it was Mesaana who decided to start using Sheriam and ordered her to grab the dream ter'angreal. As can be seen by her actually going to Sheriam in the flesh, as well as all of her one-on-ones with Alviarin, she prefers to...well...meet in the flesh with her special subordinates. If she were to try and meet up with Sheriam on that particular night, she would have tried to talk face-to-face, not drag Sheriam into T'A'R. The only ones who would try that would be Ishy, Lanfear, or maybe Moghedien.

Even if Mesaana had gone to try to meet Sheriam and found out that she was captured, she would have most likely have simply abandoned her and not thought on the matter again. After all, what is one, insignificant, little darkfriend playing at being Aes Sedai?

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 04:22 AM
But it wasn't just one BA member who was captured at that time, it was scores of them. That might require some further investigation. As well as a mass exodus from the WT by all BA members who could leave, of course.

Ivhon
11-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Next question becomes whether or not Egwene chooses to protect the Tower's reputation by keeping quiet about the BA exodus or whether she chooses to protect the Nations by distributing the names of the known BA on the loose.

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Next question becomes whether or not Egwene chooses to protect the Tower's reputation by keeping quiet about the BA exodus or whether she chooses to protect the Nations by distributing the names of the known BA on the loose.Why would that be a question? :confused:

Edited to add:
Names and descriptions would be a little better, perhaps. Not much, considering how good people are at deciding that someone fits a description (see the hunt for sul'dam that Elayne and Nynaeve got caught in).

Terez
11-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Not everyone is Floran Gelb.

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Would Child Byar really bother that hard trying to figure out which AS he was shooting in the back?

Terez
11-08-2009, 08:30 AM
In Jaret Byar's opinion, all Aes Sedai are Darkfriends, so it hardly makes a difference.

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Of course, this is based on the rather unlikely assumption that Egwene would actually bother to let the world know about about a hundred BA running loose. If she doesn't tell anyone, then there won't be a problem either.

As an aside, why didn't Verin start a BA inoculation scheme years ago?
She could have approached Siuan, told her about getting rid of the Oaths and reswearing, and then one by one they could have used the Oath Rod to test any AS they met. Some BA would still have ran away, of course, but they could have caught far more by taking a careful approach than by hasty measures such as were necessary now.

Davian93
11-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Of course, this is based on the rather unlikely assumption that Egwene would actually bother to let the world know about about a hundred BA running loose. If she doesn't tell anyone, then there won't be a problem either.

She could have approached Siuan, told her about getting rid of the Oaths and reswearing, and then one by one they could have used the Oath Rod to test any AS they met. Some BA would still have ran away, of course, but they could have caught far more by taking a careful approach than by hasty measures such as were necessary now.

I guarantee that she won't tell anyone. Afterall, that would make the Tower look bad to outsiders. She even mentioned it during her Purge of the Rebel AS. Something along the lines of "what we talk about behind closed doors is completely different to what we'll admit to the world". She said it directly in regards to the Black Ajah.

Terez
11-08-2009, 08:51 AM
She could have approached Siuan
She's a Brown. They get distracted easily.

Davian93
11-08-2009, 09:04 AM
She's a Brown. They get distracted easily.

She was on her way to the Amyrlin's Office when she noticed a new type of lichen growing on the rocks in a Tower garden. This HAD to be documented immediately. She pulled out her sketchbook to document the find when, unbeknownst to her, it started to drizzle. Soon after, the drawing and notes were complete. Back on task, she began heading across the courtyard to the Amyrlin's Study. At this point, Elayne interrupted her train of thought by offering her a cloak to stay out of the rain. Verin noticed that this cloak was made of a new type of wool only found in the southern reaches of Kandor. She remembered her last trip to Kandor...THAT'S RIGHT! Kandor, she must get to Kandor immediately!! She hurried to the Tower Stables and summoned Tomas with her bags."

So, you see, it was all Elayne's fault.

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I guarantee that she won't tell anyone. Afterall, that would make the Tower look bad to outsiders. She even mentioned it during her Purge of the Rebel AS. Something along the lines of "what we talk about behind closed doors is completely different to what we'll admit to the world". She said it directly in regards to the Black Ajah.I couldn't find it during a hurried reread. You may very well be correct (this being Egwene), but I would want to see an actual quote which I can check before accepting it.

Davian93
11-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I couldn't find it during a hurried reread. You may very well be correct (this being Egwene), but I would want to see an actual quote which I can check before accepting it.

Its when she's speaking to the Rebel Hall (right after she swears the Oaths)...hold on, I have to run to my other room to get the book out...

...Okay, its on page 679.

"Yes," Egwene said, "It is shameful, but it is a truth that we-as the leaders of our people-must admit. Not in public; but among ourselves there is no avoiding it."

Terez
11-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Sheriam found out while being captured and was quickly beheaded the next day.
The same day, actually.

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Its when she's speaking to the Rebel Hall (right after she swears the Oaths)...hold on, I have to run to my other room to get the book out...

...Okay, its on page 679.Thanks. Once again, Egwene manages to underceed* my expectations.

* Or should that be "inceed" as opposite of "exceed"? If only GWB were posting here; he would undoubtedly know.

Terez
11-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm sure she'll at least tell Rand about the ones that are with him. Big difference between that and announcing the Black to the whole world.

GonzoTheGreat
11-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah, sure she will.
My sarcasm meter flipped again. How do I configure it not to read my own posts?

ShadowbaneX
11-08-2009, 11:14 AM
If poster=GonzoTheGreat
{
ignorePost=1;
}

Else
{
ignorePost=0;
}

nameless
11-08-2009, 01:49 PM

I was under the impression that you're allowed to rat out as many Black sisters as you like, but talking about the Oath to the DO constitutes betraying his plans, which you can't do unless you're about to die.

Yuri33
11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Why no inoculation scheme? Verin's a Brown, she needed more time to study the BA and other darkfriends. Plus, she may not have been quite sure that Siuan wasn't black.

She's very thorough, you know...

Egwene will tell Rand, but I'm pretty sure all BA members will have cleared out by then--I don't think the next two books will have a "let's interrogate a Black sister" scene. If that was going to happen, it would have been in TGS, and now all those BA sisters are dead/leashed/gone.

matrimzombie
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Why is this titled the way it is? o_O?

Anyways, should we have any reason to doubt that Verin talking with mat, and Verin talking with Egwene were more than an hour apart?

Also, even Demandred is unsure just how much of the world the DO knows about. And we've seen firsthand how free a lot of the darkfriends are able to be, even when following directions. I don't think the Verin thing is any one bit out of the realm of possibility.

Because apparently the Dark One's lawyers suck. Verin kicked the Dark One's ass by being smarter than him. Thats my issue, I understand that he isn't all knowing and all seeing. I understand that he makes mistakes... Verin is Black Ajah but is really a good guy feels like a really cheap trick to me. It just really seems like a cop out to me. That was the purpose of this post.

GonzoTheGreat
11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
It may be that the DO never really cared for the BA at all. So he may have expected them to get caught by such a trick a lot earlier already.

After all, what with the loopholes in the Three Oaths anyway, it is not as if there would be much reason for the BA to swear new ones. They could manage with the standard ones very well, if they wanted to.
As far as I know, no BA member has ever used the OP to make a weapon to kill another human with. And both other Oaths are so buggy they might as well not exist.

Bonzi77
11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Because apparently the Dark One's lawyers suck. Verin kicked the Dark One's ass by being smarter than him. Thats my issue, I understand that he isn't all knowing and all seeing. I understand that he makes mistakes... Verin is Black Ajah but is really a good guy feels like a really cheap trick to me. It just really seems like a cop out to me. That was the purpose of this post.

The Dark One didn't dictate the oaths and probably hasn't had direct contact with any but the most high level of his followers, at first because he was sealed away, and later because it's easier to dictate through the Chosen/Forsaken.

Plus, think about what Verin actually did. She joined the Black, managed to remain in their good graces (such as they are) for 70 years and then killed herself to betray their secrets, while probably willingly accepting a personal hell that the DO will inflict on her if he gets his hands on her soul. I don't think anyone was particularly dumb to not foresee that scenario.

matrimzombie
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
It may be that the DO never really cared for the BA at all. So he may have expected them to get caught by such a trick a lot earlier already.

After all, what with the loopholes in the Three Oaths anyway, it is not as if there would be much reason for the BA to swear new ones. They could manage with the standard ones very well, if they wanted to.
As far as I know, no BA member has ever used the OP to make a weapon to kill another human with. And both other Oaths are so buggy they might as well not exist.

Okay, clearly I was the only person that felt it was a cheap plot device. I begin to see how the Great Lord keeps losing.

ShadowbaneX
11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
possibly, but perhaps there's another reason for the loophole that will be shown at a later time.

Icarium
11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Okay, clearly I was the only person that felt it was a cheap plot device.

No, you weren't, I thought it was a cheap plot device too. Furthermore, I thought Verin knowing the names of virtually all of the BA members was cheap too, not to mention rather unnecessary as once the AS took their heads out of their asses and started using the Oath Rod to test for allegiance to the DO, there was precious little need for any further proof. The storyline would have been practically the same if Verin had known the names of just twenty BA members. Just like the AS's general stupidity was used to contrast with Egwene suddenly growing a brain in this volume, the BA complete cluelessness about Verin's treachery was used to underline how awesome Verin is. I like Verin but I don't want her to be quite that ridiculously all knowing. For my money even finding out the names of twenty BA members would have been more than worthy achievement. Or why not have Verin using the Oath Rod to remove the oath to the DO, the way Talene was forced to do? She still could have been killed in the Seanchan attack if there was such great need to kill her off. Yes, I know she did look for the Rod first but the Rod missing just then was rather contrived.

And I concur that of course Egwene won't make the existence of the BA public, never mind that the missing BA members are a danger to society at large and not just her precious Tower.

GonzoTheGreat
11-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Just like the AS's general stupidity was used to contrast with Egwene suddenly growing a brain in this volume,To be fair to Egwene: half a brain. She is still AS, after all.

Terez
11-10-2009, 03:53 AM
No, you weren't, I thought it was a cheap plot device too.
Well, you're a Malazan person so that's not surprising. What's surprising is that you read WoT at all!

Belazamon
11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, you're a Malazan person so that's not surprising. What's surprising is that you read WoT at all!
Oh? I don't see it.

Terez
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh? I don't see it.
lol....Malazan fans are in general WoT-haters. Obviously, though, there are exceptions. ;)

matrimzombie
11-11-2009, 10:58 AM
lol....Malazan fans are in general WoT-haters. Obviously, though, there are exceptions. ;)

I haven't read the Malazan novels.. though now I kind of want to....

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of WoT. I'm a big fan of Robert Jordan's writing, I'm a big fan of Brian Saunderson's writing. Just wasn't a fan of this scene.

Bonzi77
11-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I couldn't get in to Malazan. The learning curve was too steep and I'm not that smart. I felt like every other sentence relied on world building context I wasn't privy to yet.

Terez
11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I haven't read the Malazan novels.. though now I kind of want to....
They're good books. Extraordinarily complex, though not necessarily woven together as cleverly as WoT's complexity. The fans tend to hate on WoT because they think it's clichéd, while Malazan represents 'modern fantasy' that specifically avoids fantasy cliché.

Icarium
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Most Malazan fans I know who have read WoT are disgruntled WoT who were already disappointment by the direction WoT took before they started the Malazan series. And for the record I loved TGS and I have no anticipation whatsoever to read the final two volumes from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, so I am not much a Malazan fanboy these days.

BTW, I managed to derail the thread into off-topic just with the power of my username. Kind of cool. :)

matrimzombie
11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
This thread got derailed after like the third post.

ShadowbaneX
11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Not too deflate your ego too much (they're healthy and fun for debating) but I think we've had topics derailed because it was a tuesday...

I read the first few Malazan books but had to stop after Whiskeyjack died.

Terez
11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Most Malazan fans I know who have read WoT are disgruntled WoT who were already disappointment by the direction WoT took before they started the Malazan series. And for the record I loved TGS and I have no anticipation whatsoever to read the final two volumes from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, so I am not much a Malazan fanboy these days.
Oddly, I have loved the later Malazan books more than the earlier ones, though I still haven't read Dust o Dreams. It came in right when new WoT material started coming out (the pre-release stuff), and it's been 4 years since we had new WoT stuff, so I haven't gotten to it yet (there have been three new Malazan books in that time, lol). I have heard good things about it, though. I will probably read it after finals, though updating the interview database for WoT will be a priority.

BTW, I managed to derail the thread into off-topic just with the power of my username. Kind of cool. :)
What SBX said. Hijacking is what we do.

Crispin's Crispian
11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Oddly, I have loved the later Malazan books more than the earlier ones, though I still haven't read Dust o Dreams. It came in right when new WoT material started coming out (the pre-release stuff), and it's been 4 years since we had new WoT stuff, so I haven't gotten to it yet (there have been three new Malazan books in that time, lol). I have heard good things about it, though. I will probably read it after finals, though updating the interview database for WoT will be a priority.
I found that I liked Bonehunters a lot, and also enjoyed Reaper's Gale. I found Toll the Hounds to be a little harder to enjoy, but with a great payoff. I need to reread that one, because I couldn't even remember the name(!).

I read the Prologue to Dust of Dreams and was not impressed, so hopefully the main book is more exciting.

All that to say that I love the Malazan series, but am scared about the books' progression.

Terez
11-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I never really get into the prologues. They're almost always to do with unknown characters, with only hints as to how they tie into the story.