PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the book titles listed in the Glossary; A puzzle?

1Powerslave
11-09-2009, 01:34 PM
After reading the glossary I found myself wondering why the various books Min is reading are listed in the glossary along with a useless explanation in the style of "a book of which little is known." are included. Why include the titles of those books if there is nothing to say about them?

Is this common practice for books mentioned within the books?
I haven't been able to check the other glossaries cause I don't have the books with me right now.

So I was thinking that if there doesn't seem to be a appearant purpose in listing those book titles Min is reading (perhaps one or two books wasn't books that Min was reading, haven't checked), perhaps there is a hidden purpose. An intentional clue left for us! A puzzle hinting at what Min is trying to figure out, namely how to seal the Dark One's prison. I almost think that listing these titles in the Glossary in this suspicious maner is like screaming at us to discuss them.

Here are the book titles mentioned in the Glossary along with the stupid one-liners attached to them:

Commentary of the Dragon: A book by Sajius of which little is known.
Comprehensive Discussion of Pre-Breaking Relics, A: A book of which little is known (other than its title).
Echoes of His Dynasty: A book of which little is known.
Falling Shale: A history of which little is known.
Marks and Remarks: A history of which little is known.
Meditations of the Kindling Flame: A history dealing with the rise of various Amyrlins.
Monuments Past: A history of which little is known.
Proper Taming of Power, The: A history of which little is known.
Thoughts Among the Ruins: An Ancient work of history.
Wake of the Breaking, The: A book of which little is known.

So what do you guys think?

Terez
11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
'Meditations on the Kindling Flame' was a book Silviana was reading, btw. Most of the rest, I recognize as Fel's books, but some I'm not sure about. I dunno if it's screaming at us to discuss them - we learn more about those books inside the text.

matrimzombie
11-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I noticed that as well Powerslave, i'm not sure why you bother to put them in the glossary if they are as seemingly unimportant as their glossary entry suggests.

Tarcanus
11-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I want to say that The Proper Taming of Power was something Cadsuane was reading. I assumed it was because she was grasping at straws for how to guide Rand.

Tamyrlin
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Brandon mentioned specifically that the entire letter from Moiraine was in the glossary. Maybe they are just trying to give fans more of these types of things...or maybe the small clues and such are hidden in the glossary and "in this book" is tongue in cheek?

nameless
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
In one of the interview Q+A sessions posted on another thread BS mentions that several of the authors mentioned are actually authors from our own Age that are only dimly remembered in the 3rd Age. I'm not sure there's really enough evidence to figure out who's who, though.

The best I've got so far:
Sajius: Carl Sagan? This is probably a red herring because he's mentioned specifically in relation to commentaries on the Prophecies.
Pelateos: Plato

JSUCamel
11-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Brandon mentioned specifically that the entire letter from Moiraine was in the glossary. Maybe they are just trying to give fans more of these types of things...or maybe the small clues and such are hidden in the glossary and "in this book" is tongue in cheek?

Jordan has always done this. We get names of characters that should have no right to be named, like stablehands, innkeepers, soldiers and servants that we see for one or two pages, and then never see again. And based on my recent research and work, I can safely say there are a shit-ton of them. That's a technical term; you should look it up.

Then there are books, inns, roads, walls... things that are mentioned once and then never seen or heard from again.

The only thing new about this, I suppose, is the fact that some of these are listed in the glossary.

Leanne
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
It's funny that you mention the glossary. When the question came up from Brandon about some clue in the book and then the talk about something in books 4-6 that isn't discussed a lot, I went through the glossary to see if there was something there. OF course, nothing jumped out at me.

ShadowbaneX
11-09-2009, 07:01 PM
perhaps all the letters of the book titles rearranged spells something out.

JSUCamel
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
perhaps all the letters of the book titles rearranged spells something out.

either "I love the sound of a theory as it dies" or "LOL, get a life noobz, LOLZ! Regards, Jim"

ShadowbaneX
11-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm speaking to you from beyond the GRAAAAVE!

Davian93
11-09-2009, 07:12 PM
If you play the audio book of tGS backwards, its says "Rand is Dead".

Leanne
11-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I bought "Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians" for my son. Of course, I had to read it myself, you know, to approve it for him. Brandon mentions in it how mean authors are. Just think of RJ and Brandon thinking about all the fans out there picking apart everything in the book and every single word they say. Brandon even said to me at the signing, "Matt wants to pick apart every word I say." How much fun would it be for Brandon to throw this "small detail" at us and watch us squirm, frantically re-reading the series to find it? Brandon knows we are going to look at everything, so he inserts all sorts of "little details" that we have to inspect to see if maybe he is referencing that some how. Next, he should write a book "Alcatraz vs the Evil Authors".

ShadowbaneX
11-09-2009, 07:24 PM
sounds only fair to me. Did you tell BS that you were a TL'er?

Tamyrlin
11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Brandon even said to me at the signing, "Matt wants to pick apart every word I say."

Which signing? And who is this Matt guy?

ShadowbaneX
11-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Some obsessed guy that obviously asks WAY too many questions.:eek:

Tamyrlin
11-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Asking an author questions! And lots of them! He probably posts them too, and records them if possible! Those Storm Leaders should do a better job protecting Brandon.

Leanne
11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I told him I brought a recorder with me because Theoryland would not believe me otherwise. :D Friday at Philly. I failed though. Ran out of tape, and didn't get anything good. I haven't listened to all of it though.

Tamyrlin
11-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Theoryland would not believe me otherwise

I mean...well, a recording...I mean, it's certainly helpful around here...

Leanne
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Give me a break, I am knew at this whole questioning authors thing. I will listen to the tape and hopefully find something useful. I had to actually WORK and couldn't sit and listen to Brandon answer everyone's questions. I don't know how much I got on tape though.

ShadowbaneX
11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
yeah, actually, you know what? We should go down there and take over for the Storm Leaders. We could do the whole Aiel oosquai ritual and everything. It'd be fun.

Tercel
11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Brandon mentioned specifically that the entire letter from Moiraine was in the glossary. Maybe they are just trying to give fans more of these types of things...or maybe the small clues and such are hidden in the glossary and "in this book" is tongue in cheek?Yes, BS commented that he had put Moiraine's letter in the glossary of tGS. This got me thinking again about my conviction that the letter contains a hidden code / cipher aimed at passing information to Thom without the Finns seeing it through Matt's eyes.

I've spent most of today trying to crack the code with the help of various computer scripts, to no avail. I've exhausted my imagination of how to hide a message using nth letter or nth word codings, and read what little there is on the internet on the subject of Steganography, which was little help. It's possible, of course, that a Caesar cipher or a more advanced cipher system needs to be applied in conjunction with an nth letter system, but the possibilities go exponential at that point.

If anyone can ask BS some sort of question about what sort of codes and ciphers are in use in the Wheel of Time world, or otherwise extract any hints whatsoever on Moiraine's letter, that would be extremely useful.

Tamyrlin
11-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I wasn't saying that about you! I was pointing out that we do like to harp on sources. I wonder if Brandon will find it funny...if I verify your 'Matt' quote with him :)

Davian93
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Asking an author questions! And lots of them! He probably posts them too, and records them if possible! Those Storm Leaders should do a better job protecting Brandon.

What a Storm Leader MIGHT look like:

http://personal.ars-informatica.ca/paul/wot/whitecloak.gif

nameless
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Yes, BS commented that he had put Moiraine's letter in the glossary of tGS. This got me thinking again about my conviction that the letter contains a hidden code / cipher aimed at passing information to Thom without the Finns seeing it through Matt's eyes.

I've spent most of today trying to crack the code with the help of various computer scripts, to no avail. I've exhausted my imagination of how to hide a message using nth letter or nth word codings, and read what little there is on the internet on the subject of Steganography, which was little help. It's possible, of course, that a Caesar cipher or a more advanced cipher system needs to be applied in conjunction with an nth letter system, but the possibilities go exponential at that point.

If anyone can ask BS some sort of question about what sort of codes and ciphers are in use in the Wheel of Time world, or otherwise extract any hints whatsoever on Moiraine's letter, that would be extremely useful.

Steganography's definitely not the right track... that's when you code your message by scattering it into pieces and hiding each of the pieces in a different document. I guess you could stegonagraphically encrypt something into a single document by hiding one letter of the real message in every word (or every other word or every 3rd word, etc.), but even a cursory examination of Moraine's letter shows that's not the case here. Looking for ciphers in the letter itself is probably a dead end. Thom and Moraine both knew how to use cryptography but you can't decrypt a coded message without the key, so if the letter were some sort of cypher then Moraine would have to have given Thom a second letter telling him how to crack it. But honestly, I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find codes where there are none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia