PDA

View Full Version : It seems the question is answered...

Isabel
11-09-2009, 11:35 PM
* Robert Jordan never really intended to clarify on whether Rand is hearing Lews Therin because hes insane or if hes really there.

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=1021

WSB: did you ask anything about LTT and can you confirm it as well?

Trutino
11-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Well, then. I kinda like it!

Belazamon
11-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Maybe people will stop using the word "proof" in this particular conversation, then?

~puts on his wishing hat~

Isabel
11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Exactly: there is no proof, you can interpreted it two ways ;)

WinespringBrother
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I didn't ask any LTT questions, sorry, but I will go through the recordings I took and post all the Q&A's later on today.

Belazamon
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
It's funny you should say that (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2429). ;)

Sodas
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
That's great. End of debate.

Guess we aren't idiots for seeing it our own way this whole time. :rolleyes:

Crispin's Crispian
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
So the obvious follow-up question is whether Brandon Sanderson intended to clarify it.

GonzoTheGreat
11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, he did. It is now a lot clearer that you can interpret it in two different ways. One (the Realer) way is correct, of course, while the other is just wrong. But still, it is possible to be wrong. For others, at least. I may not have that capability.

Isabel
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
So the obvious follow-up question is whether Brandon Sanderson intended to clarify it.

Nope, it's not. Brandon is doing what RJ wanted.
Whatever brandon thinks is not canon.

BTW, Bela: you know how it goes in the heat of debate. The way LTT was debated always infuriated me.
In the past you can also find me saying stuff that it can be interpreted it in two ways.

Crispin's Crispian
11-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Nope, it's not. Brandon is doing what RJ wanted.
Whatever brandon thinks is not canon.

Much confidence in Brandon have you now. Times do change.

Davian93
11-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Yes, the right way and the wrong way.

Isabel
11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Much confidence in Brandon have you now. Times do change.

Crispin: i have confidence in Brandon to finish the story. Not to decide on something that RJ didn't intend to clarify.
Besides we have a quote from Brandon from another interview in which he already hinted that LTT could be interpreted in two ways.

Isabel
11-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Pff, there is no right or wrong way, if RJ never decided what the answer was.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-10-2009, 01:12 PM

I spit my coffee laughing. Thank you.

Tamyrlin
11-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Why are we accepting a paraphrased answer as canon? As with my paraphrasing, it's a form of proof, but tough to say "that's the end of the discussion". Kind of a "believe at your own risk" situation. Seems like we need some followup questions...

Terez
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Here's hoping you get to ride to CA with Brandon then. ;)

Crispin's Crispian
11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Here's hoping you get to ride to CA with Brandon then. ;)
hehehe...I'm sure we were all hoping for that anyway. We could get Tam to bone up on his interrogatory skills.

I do think it's funny, though, the varying amounts of weight we're willing to give answers from authors themselves.

"Wait, someone might have changed it slightly--it's just a paraphrase after all."

Belazamon
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Why are we accepting a paraphrased answer as canon? As with my paraphrasing, it's a form of proof, but tough to say "that's the end of the discussion". Kind of a "believe at your own risk" situation. Seems like we need some followup questions...
To be fair, it doesn't really seem like there'd be a lot of wiggle room to interpret a statement like that.

Crispin's Crispian
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
To be fair, it doesn't really seem like there'd be a lot of wiggle room to interpret a statement like that.
Sure there is.

Robert Jordan never really intended not to clarify on whether Rand is hearing Lews Therin because
hes insane or if hes really there.

Robert Jordan never really intended to clarify on whether Rand is hearing Lews Therin because hes insane or if hes really there, even though he did later clarify it.

Robert Jordan never really intended to clarify on whether Rand is hearing Lews Therin because hes insane, but he's really there.[/B]

;)

Sodas
11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
The quotes are indeed confusing when paraphrased.

You know, if Brandon really does like to visit theoryland or dragonmount, what is the harm in setting him up a blog so he can answer reader questions?

Belazamon
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Sure there is.

;)
Okay, yeah, barring an incompetent paraphraser. ;)

Jokeslayer
11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Pff, there is no right or wrong way, if RJ never decided what the answer was.

Sorry, but that is not what the quote says. It says RJ never intended to clarify it. Doesn't mean there isn't a correct answer.

It could even be argued that there must be a correct answer, otherwise intending to clarify becomes a moot point; it's only possible to clarify the issue if one answer is correct and the other wrong. if there is no answer, RJ is unable to clarify it and his intentions are irrelevant.

Sukoto
11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
This is actually a very interesting revelation. It means that BS's writing is directly influenced by fans, and also indicates which side of the debate BS personally stood on. More evidence that BS is not worried about trying to be Robert Jordan. He just wants to finish the story.

Bonzi77
11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I think it's good to have some mystery even after the series is over. Sometimes when the curtain gets pulled back too far, the story doesn't seem as magical. One of my favorite books is Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. By the end of that series all of the mystery was gone and it was rather disapointing.

Mort
11-11-2009, 04:46 AM
I think it's good to have some mystery even after the series is over. Sometimes when the curtain gets pulled back too far, the story doesn't seem as magical.

The LTT Debacle is probably one of the things RJ has always said he intended never to explain or resolve. Maybe it's even the "hook" he has mentioned that will be at the end of the series?

Isabel
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I found this on DM :)

I'm not sure if this has been told before or not or even how interesting it is. I was at the Lexington signing last night and overheard the guy a few places ahead of me in line ask Brandon about Rand's madness / Lew's Therin being real. His response was that RJ hadn't left any notes really setting it in stone either way. He said that RJ did say something like they shared the same soul or the two souls were intertwined or something. He said that he wasn't going to say one way or the other and would let the books speak for themselves.

Terez
11-12-2009, 10:42 AM
LOL, this is obviously a bad paraphrase. Two souls?

Isabel
11-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Hehe, it made me laugh ;)

Neilbert
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
He never intended to clarify who killed Asmodean either, that doesn't mean there isn't a correct answer.

GonzoTheGreat
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
He never intended to clarify who killed Asmodean either, that doesn't mean there isn't a correct answer.Yeah, but perhaps that's only now that RJ has actually made a decision. It may be that it should have been intuitively obvious that it was indeterminate.

Neilbert
11-12-2009, 11:25 AM
You don't think he had a killer in mind at the time he was writing the scene?

GonzoTheGreat
11-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Probably not:
? No!