PDA

View Full Version : BS or BS?

GonzoTheGreat
11-12-2009, 07:00 AM
A shadow moved just a short distance away, and Mat instantly recognized a sword-form. Rat Gnawing the Grain? A villager wouldn't know that. Good man!To be honest, this sword form seems less serious than the ones we've seen in earlier books. And that's saying something, you will have to admit.
So, is this a BS addition, or is it simply BS?

As an added exercise: how about the other new sword forms in this book?

Kurtz
11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Does seem rather uninspired, perhaps a cheeky piss-take of the sword form descriptions.

Rand fell into Cat Loots the Pantry but Lan easily deflected with Dolphin Hitches the Wagon

GonzoTheGreat
11-12-2009, 07:37 AM
To be honest, I am not sure I would be confident in using pantry related sword forms in the Third Age. Though it may be that the cat did it. I'm not sure that Greebo would count as "intuitively obvious", though.

Bonzi77
11-12-2009, 07:39 AM
To be honest, this sword form seems less serious than the ones we've seen in earlier books. And that's saying something, you will have to admit.
So, is this a BS addition, or is it simply BS?

As an added exercise: how about the other new sword forms in this book?

I think it's supposed to be funny. Mat doesn't know sword forms. So he wouldn't know the real names. But he would recognize the move of a trained swordsman as opposed to a villager hacking away. So he just assigned it a humorous description from his head. That's why there's a question mark.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think this might be a Jordan passage. The only reason I say this is that Sanderson doesn't use exclamation points in his narratives. He will occasionally use them in dialogue, but not as a narrator.

Toss the dice
11-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I think it's supposed to be funny. Mat doesn't know sword forms. So he wouldn't know the real names. But he would recognize the move of a trained swordsman as opposed to a villager hacking away. So he just assigned it a humorous description from his head. That's why there's a question mark.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think this might be a Jordan passage. The only reason I say this is that Sanderson doesn't use exclamation points in his narratives. He will occasionally use them in dialogue, but not as a narrator.

While there is not a single place in all the books (at least up till this instance) where it is said that Mat knows sword forms, I would VERY much guess that he does. Out of his hundreds/thousands of men's memories, let alone the emphasis on battle...I'd say it is safe to say that Mat knows his sword forms. Speaking of which, I would bet Mat is now a pretty damn good swordsman as well, instinctively of course...even if he doesn't use one. The same kind of deal as his instinctive use of the ashandarei. The memories.

While the rat gnawing the grain comment to himself could double as a humorous madeup bit on Mat's part, I personally don't think it is due to the overwhelming odds that Mat really does know sword forms.

Terez
11-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Not true. I know this because I have been editing a raw scan of the book line by line. He uses exclamations in narrative a lot.

Bonzi77
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I got the exclamation point thing from one of his "Writing Excuses" podcasts. Maybe he's changed in an attempt to mesh with RJ's style.

Terez
11-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Perhaps. Though a lot of it is in inner monologue, so perhaps you meant to differentiate between that and regular narrative?

Bonzi77
11-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Perhaps. Though a lot of it is in inner monologue, so perhaps you meant to differentiate between that and regular narrative?

Its tough to differentiate sometimes in the WoT style of 3rd limited. But I was counting inner monologue as narrative for the purposes of my point. But I'm wrong a lot, so who knows?

Terez
11-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, and I'm not even talking about the italicized inner monologue. The non-italicized stuff has tons of exclamation points too. Generally along the lines of 'Light!' or things like that, but also the comments following those sorts of exclamations are often exclamations.

Birgitte
11-12-2009, 02:54 PM
To be honest, I am not sure I would be confident in using pantry related sword forms in the Third Age. Though it may be that the cat did it. I'm not sure that Greebo would count as "intuitively obvious", though.

Greebo did it = Officially my favorite Asmo theory.

Belazamon
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Greebo did it = Officially my favorite Asmo theory.
I am forced to admit I misread this at first.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jalapenoguy/Greedo.jpg

Tree Brother
11-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I am forced to admit I misread this at first.

"Witches Abroad", by Terry Pratchett. Fun book. Quick read. But of course, everyone know that already by this point ;) Greebo actually ... No, shouldn't give that away.

Belazamon
11-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Never really got into the witch books. I've always been a City Watch kind of guy.