PDA

View Full Version : To rule or not to rule

GonzoTheGreat
11-13-2009, 07:57 AM
First, there's the start. Or the middle, to be a bit more accurate. Anyways:
"I know something of the Karaethon Cycle," Abelle said. "I believe you are the Dragon Reborn, but nothing there speaks of you ruling, only fighting the Dark One at Tarmon Gai’don."Fine and dandy, if the KC does not mention Rand ruling at all.
"I said," Min repeated, "that a passage is wrong. I'm reading commentary on the Karaethon Cycle. Sajius claims that this line about the three becoming one speaks of the unification of three kingdoms beneath the Dragon's banner. But I think he's wrong."
"And why," Cadsuane said, "is it that you think you know more than a respected scholar of the
prophecies?"If most respected scholars think that the KC says that Rand will unite three kingdoms under his banner, then why should one conclude that the KC does not mention him ruling?

Either Andoran nobles are rather stupid (what that says about Weiramon is anybodies guess), or this is a discrepancy in the text.

Bonzi77
11-13-2009, 08:22 AM
First, there's the start. Or the middle, to be a bit more accurate. Anyways:
Fine and dandy, if the KC does not mention Rand ruling at all.
If most respected scholars think that the KC says that Rand will unite three kingdoms under his banner, then why should one conclude that the KC does not mention him ruling?

Either Andoran nobles are rather stupid (what that says about Weiramon is anybodies guess), or this is a discrepancy in the text.

I think like a lot of things (Old Tongue, history, etc) nobles in Randland don't know as much as they should or as much as they'd like to think. In this particular case, the interpretation of the "three must be one" clause is something that a willfully ignorant noble could overlook for their own purposes.

Sarevok
11-13-2009, 08:28 AM
the interpretation of the "three must be one" clause is something that a willfully ignorant noble could overlook for their own purposes.I thinks it's more probable that he wasn't aware of it. He said "I know something of the KC" (implying he might have skimmed through a copy once, or had a teacher telling him about it), not "I'm am expert on the KC and have read dozens of books on them."

One Armed Gimp
11-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Uniting three kingdoms under his banner does not necessarily mean that he will rule those kingdoms. The phrases can be taken and interpreted many different ways. If was a discrepancy, it is one that can be glossed over easily.

Kurtz
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I thought the three become one was about LTT, Rand and Moridin.

The discussion in tGS threw me a bit.

GonzoTheGreat
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
If this noble only knew a little bit about it, then he wouldn't (alright, shouldn't) have suggested that the DR was not supposed to rule. Heck, even Egwene, who isn't exactly the most sensible person, did not assume that she knew all that was in the KC, even though she had heard little bits from it.

Terez
11-13-2009, 12:41 PM
The 'three become one' wasn't known before this book.

Davian93
11-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Wasn't known to the reader. The KC hasn't changed in millenia for Randland. Abelle at best had read a copy of them and at worst had had a scribe/teacher give him the gist of it. The real comment should be that this just means that Abelle is just as smart as Min. From all accounts, that group of Andoran nobles is quite sensitive and intelligent.

Ozymandias
11-13-2009, 01:57 PM
And even if we assume he knew of the passage AND the interpretation, it doesn't mean Rand will be King.

Three banners united under his rule does not mean he's on the throne. Quite the opposite, he's not King anywhere but Illian (always wondered if that would have significance post TG; Illainers claiming standing because Rand was actually their ruler).

For example, Ghealdean and Andor are both unquestionably under his banner, ruled as they are by Elayne and Perrin, effectively. But he's not the ruler.

So Abelle could just be taking a different tack on interpreting what it means to be united under a banner. During the Aiel War most nations fought under one metaphorical banner... but didn't actually give up sovereignty.

Kurtz
11-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Then what am I thinking of?

Think....illogically

Toss the dice
11-13-2009, 02:40 PM
How about "three becoming one" referring to the three Two Rivers boys? I'm not saying they will all 3 merge together into some sort of flesh and blood transformer, but the colors and seeing each other in their head is a decent start imo. They sure are connected to one another as well. "Three becoming one" has a lot of room for interpretation.

Yellowbeard
11-13-2009, 02:51 PM
i think that the "three become one" prophecy min was reading about has to be referring to mat, perrin, and rand together, with rand holding callandor. the flaw in it is going to somehow be key to allowing rand to do what he needs to do to reseal the DO.

Terez
11-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Wasn't known to the reader.
I was referring to Kurtz's comment.

Davian93
11-13-2009, 03:13 PM
i think that the "three become one" prophecy min was reading about has to be referring to mat, perrin, and rand together, with rand holding callandor. the flaw in it is going to somehow be key to allowing rand to do what he needs to do to reseal the DO.

I agree that the 3 become 1 has to do with the 3 ta'veren, not Rand and 2 female channelers. How Caddy and Co simply don't even think about that (yet Moiraine clearly understood it) is beyond stupid.

Yuri33
11-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Possibilities for "three become one" include:

1) 3 kingdoms
2) Rand, LTT, Moridin
3) Rand, Mat, Perrin
4) Rand + 2 powerful female channelers
5) Rand, Moridin, and Fain (my own speculation)
6) Narishma, Mirese, and Elza at the Cleansing (another remote possibility)

Any others I'm missing?

Ozymandias
11-13-2009, 04:26 PM

1) 3 kingdoms
2) Rand, LTT, Moridin
3) Rand, Mat, Perrin

Any others I'm missing?

#6 is impossible. Elza is balefired out of existence as of tGS.

Terez
11-13-2009, 04:41 PM
It already happened, though. ;)

ZaderGru
11-13-2009, 05:09 PM

1) 3 kingdoms
2) Rand, LTT, Moridin
3) Rand, Mat, Perrin

Any others I'm missing?

Siadar, Siadin, and the true power

Even the impossible, is possible, in this world

Terez
11-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Don't forget Elayne+Aviendha+Min. The idea that they will physically merge may be ludicrous (ahem) but the idea of a metaphorical merging of some sort is still on the table, I think. Single vein of gold, rather than three.

Matoyak
11-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Don't forget Elayne+Aviendha+Min. The idea that they will physically merge may be ludicrous (ahem) but the idea of a metaphorical merging of some sort is still on the table, I think. Single vein of gold, rather than three.Ilyena lives! (Just in three separate bodies) <__< :eek: :rolleyes:

GonzoTheGreat
11-14-2009, 05:40 AM
And even if we assume he knew of the passage AND the interpretation, it doesn't mean Rand will be King.No. But having Rand, wearing a crown, uniting three countries under his banner would suggest that he's ruling just a bit.
And the nobleman didn't object to Rand being a king, he specifically said there was nothing about him ruling in the KC.

Yuri33
11-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Don't forget Elayne+Aviendha+Min. The idea that they will physically merge may be ludicrous (ahem) but the idea of a metaphorical merging of some sort is still on the table, I think. Single vein of gold, rather than three.

Well, the exact line is "He shall hold a blade of light in his hands, and the three shall be one."

I like the idea of veins of gold becoming a single "blade of light," but I think the prophecy is a bit too literal for that to fit. Of course the "merging" could just happen while Rand is holding Callandor.

Davian93
11-14-2009, 02:34 PM
The 3 ta'veren are recognized by both sides as being vital to the victory of the Light. It only makes sense that those 3 must act as 1 to ensure final victory. Thus why Moridin suddenly wants Mat and Perrin dead so badly.