PDA

View Full Version : Have we already read the moment the title "A Memory Of Light" comes from?

kivo
11-14-2009, 12:04 AM
The Gathering Storm
Chapter 50, Veins Of Gold, Page 759

Rand raised his arms high, a conduit of power and energy. An incarnation of death and destruction. He would end it. End it all and let men rest, finally, from all their suffering.

Stop them from having to live over and over again. Why? Why had the Creator done this to them? Why?

Why do we live again? Lews Therin asked, suddenly. His voice was crisp and distinct.

Yes, Rand said, pleading, Tell me. Why?

Maybe ... Lews Therin said, shockingly lucid, not a hint of madness to him. He spoke softly, reverently. Why? Could it be... Maybe it's so that we can have a second chance.

Rand froze. The winds blew against him, but he could not be moved by them. The Power hesitated inside him, like a headsman's axe, held quivering above the criminal's neck. You may not have a choice about which duties are given you, Tam's voice, just a memory, said in his mind. But you can choose why you fulfill them.

Why, Rand? Why do you go to battle? What is the point?

Why?

All was still. Even with the tempest, the winds, the crashes of thunder. All was still.

Why? Rand thought with wonder. Because each time we live, we get to love again.

That was the answer. It all swept over him, lives lived, mistakes made, love changing everything. He saw the entire world in his mind's eye, lit by the glow in his hand. He remembered lives, hundreds of them, thousands of them, stretching to infinity. He remembered love, peace, and joy, and hope.

Within that moment, suddenly something amazing occurred to him. If I live again, then she might as well!

That's why he fought. That's why he lived again, and that was the answer to Tam's question. I fight because last time, I failed. I fight because I want to fix what I did wrong.

I want to do it right this time.

I don't imagine there is going to be a passage in books 13 or 14 that could better fulfill Robert Jordan's hauntingly beautiful title, "A Memory of Light."

Terez
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I was thinking that 'A Memory of Light' would refer to the time when it seems as if all is lost (probably after Rand dies).

Toss the dice
11-14-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't imagine there is going to be a passage in books 13 or 14 that could better fulfill Robert Jordan's hauntingly beautiful title, "A Memory of Light."

I very much doubt that's how this 3-book long, Tarmon Gaidon focused, 2 books left to go "trilogy" got it's name. I realize your passage does fulfill the title very well, but if it ends up being it, that will be incredibly weak.

El Bogarto
11-14-2009, 02:17 AM
tGS, Bathed in Light:

There was something beautiful about it. The light streaming down in a column, strong and pure. Distant, yet striking.
It was like something forgotten, but somehow still familiar, shining forth from a distant memory to bring warmth again.

"Storms will come," it seemed to say. "But for now, I am here."

Memory, light, what more do you want? :D

Davian93
11-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I was thinking that 'A Memory of Light' would refer to the time when it seems as if all is lost (probably after Rand dies).

Yes, that 3 day period before he is brought back to life by Nynaeve.;)

WinespringBrother
11-14-2009, 06:01 PM
There might be literal darkness that engulfs the world, like at the original moment when the bore is opened by Mierin:

Originally posted by Robert Jordan:

Shadow Rising

CHAPTER: 26 - The Dedicated
What seemed a tiny chip of white spun away from the Sharom in a jet of black fire; it descended, deceptively slow, insignificant. Then a hundred gouts spurted everywhere around the huge white sphere. The Sharom broke apart like an egg and began to drift down, falling, an obsidian inferno. Darkness spread across the sky, swallowing the sun in unnatural night, as if the light of those flames was blackness. People were screaming, screaming everywhere.

Belazamon
11-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Maybe each of the three books will contain a Memory of Light. Overarching themes, and whatnot.

GonzoTheGreat
11-15-2009, 05:07 AM
A Memory of Light. Another Memory of Light. Yet another Memory of Light. I only have Memories of Light! Sod it, I'll give up half the light of the world.

Good theory, Bela.

Blue Bob
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Belas comment regarding overarching themes made me think that this is why these books are masterpieces. References inside of references. Variations on a theme.

So I am adding this to the thread. In my second reading of TGS I cam upon this quote from Rand. He, Nyn and Cads are discussing the 'questioning'of Semi...

The Gathering Storm
Chapter 1
Tears from Steel page 63
"I said no!" Rand said. "You will question her but you will not hurt her." Not a woman. I will keep to this one shred of light inside me. I've caused the death and sorrows of too many women already."

I doubt that Brandon would throw THE quote out so early either. But I like the theme.

bluejam
12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Maybe each of the three books will contain a Memory of Light. Overarching themes, and whatnot.

Aye, would make sense since these 3 were supposed to be one book.

One Armed Gimp
12-04-2009, 12:09 PM

When I first heard the title I immediately thought of what started this all, the opening scene to the series. LTT on Dragonmount. I thought it would be a recalling of what he had done and why he had done it. I was of course expecting some complex answer that would solve the mystery of defeating the DO instead of the simple yet powerful one given.

So, while I would tend to agree, I can't entirely. Mostly because book 14 will still carry the title "A Memory of Light" which would indicate that the scene of importance is in book 14.

ckparrothead
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Belas comment regarding overarching themes made me think that this is why these books are masterpieces. References inside of references. Variations on a theme.

So I am adding this to the thread. In my second reading of TGS I cam upon this quote from Rand. He, Nyn and Cads are discussing the 'questioning'of Semi...

The Gathering Storm
Chapter 1
Tears from Steel page 63
"I said no!" Rand said. "You will question her but you will not hurt her." Not a woman. I will keep to this one shred of light inside me. I've caused the death and sorrows of too many women already."

I doubt that Brandon would throw THE quote out so early either. But I like the theme.

That last remaining memory of light, sourcing from his love for Ilyena, was what basically saved the world from Rand destroying it with the Choedan Kal.

In re-reading that scene though one thing did strike me and that was the sentence about how he saw all of his past lives, past memories all flooding into him. Wonder if that will come into play in future books.

Wunderwaffe
12-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I think that as others have pointed out, "A Memory of Light" will be a recurring theme in the next two books. I don't think a single incident will substantiate it.

Bonzi77
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I think that as others have pointed out, "A Memory of Light" will be a recurring theme in the next two books. I don't think a single incident will substantiate it.

Agreed. Much like the storm was a running theme through tGS. Brandon did a great job turning a generic title into a compelling theme.

ckparrothead
12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Except he should have titled the book "The Gathering Tempest".

Yikes. Talk about something that should have been caught in editing. Substitute some of those iterations of "tempest" with "storm" or even "maelstrom" please.