PDA

View Full Version : Cadsuane, Laughter and Tears

isamu237
11-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Gonzo's thread got me thinking on a particular issue I think needs its own thread.

[ACOS: 41, A Crown of Swords, 642]
CADSUANE: "It's Cadsuane. She is going to teach you something, you and the Asha'man. All the Asha'man, I mean. It's something you have to learn, but I don't know what it is, except that none of you will like learning it from her. You aren't going to like it at all."

Thank you WOTFAQ.

The predominate view has been that this lesson will be laughter and tears; the idea that Rand and the Asha'man must be part of the world and not lose touch with their humanity. In the final scene of TSG, Rand seems to learn this lesson, or at least be well on his way.
Can Cadsuane be said to have had a hand in this, or was this all Rand? Does this mean Cadsuane has another lesson to teach? If so, what? Or will Cadsuane simply help Rand expound on his recent revelation as well as help impart it to the other Asha'man?

Davian93
11-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Gut Feeling: Caddy has another lesson to teach Rand and all the Asha'man.

Zaela Sedai
11-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Gut Feeling: Caddy has another lesson to teach Rand and all the Asha'man.

definitely agreed. Rands issues were not really shared by all the Asha'man

isamu237
11-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Perhaps, given her banishment, she'll have a Moiraine moment. Realize she's not the bee's knees and meet Rand and the Asha'man somewhere in the middle; thus getting them to trust Aes Sedai. Something that may be essential given some of LTT's rantings in TSG. He indicates he had a plan that would have worked without a counter stroke, if only he'd had the cooperation of the female Aes Sedai.

Zaela Sedai
11-15-2009, 10:58 PM
She won't be banished when he comes back. I really want to see her and Moiraine meet again.

legends be wrought
11-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I always thought that the lesson would have more to do with Rand's (and the Ashaman's) arrogance and care-free attitude. I seem to remember min saying that they would not like the lesson, so laughter and tears seemed unlikely.

Frenzy
11-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Perhaps the lesson is that the Guardians have to balance the Servants, not treat them as enemies or inferiors.

Either that or to never go against a Far Maddian when death is on the line.

GonzoTheGreat
11-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Perhaps she has to teach them that they're Aes Sedai too. That's not something they will really like. Of course, the AS won't like it either, but then ... they haven't liked much of what was happening since TEOTW anyway.
The predominate view has been that this lesson will be laughter and tears; the idea that Rand and the Asha'man must be part of the world and not lose touch with their humanity.A view which has been nonsense all along, since not all Asha'man had been pulling away as much as Rand did. Some were just ordinary married men with a job to do, and they acted that way.

Terez
11-16-2009, 03:46 AM
I have a feeling she's going to die, going out in a blaze of glory, which will teach Rand and all the Asha'man...something. And this is why they won't like learning it from her, since none of them are so keen to see her die as Brandon is.

GonzoTheGreat
11-16-2009, 03:59 AM
She'll kill Taim, by sticking a knife into him, while he strangles her. Yeah, Brandon can devote an entire chapter to that, to make sure that all the details are right.

Tercel
11-16-2009, 04:25 AM
She'll kill Taim, by sticking a knife into him, while he strangles her. Yeah, Brandon can devote an entire chapter to that, to make sure that all the details are right.YES!