PDA

View Full Version : The Towers of Midnight

Yellowbeard
11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Been looking for more info. on TToM. Found this:

The Towers of Midnight form a fortress complex located within the city of Imfaral, located on the northern landmass of the Seanchan continent. There are thirteen towers in the fortress. The Towers of Midnight are first noted in history as the place where Deain, the creator of the a'dam, was imprisoned after being betrayed by Luthair Paendrag Mondwin during the Conquest.

The Towers of Midnight and the city of Imfaral were captured early during Luthair's invasion, and were the primary base of operations for the invaders before they took Seandar later in the war.

Towers of Midnight has been announced as the title of Book 13.

Robert Jordan expanded on the Towers of Midnight at DragonCon 2005.

It's a quote from http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Towers_of_Midnight

Was wondering if anyone had seen it, or remembers anything more? Perhaps it is where Demandred has been hanging out.

Terez
11-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Been looking for more info. on TToM. Found this:

It's a quote from http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Towers_of_Midnight

Was wondering if anyone had seen it, or remembers anything more? Perhaps it is where Demandred has been hanging out. That's basically just repeating what's already said.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Jordan: There are thirteen towers of midnight. The Towers of Midnight are a fortress complex, and were, at the time this happened, Shandar wasn’t the capital, and the Towers of Midnight were the center of military might, or the forces that were beginning the consolidation before the conquest of Seanchan.

Ogier related? Possibly a stedding that grew into a Fortress, thereby eliminating the possibility of folks channeling inside it??

If they fear marath'damane so much, it makes sense the center of military power should be free from attack with the Power.

Yellowbeard
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
That's basically just repeating what's already said.

yeah, but i hadn't seen it pop up on TL. i was going thru the interview database and haven't been able to find a record of the interview where RJ allegedly gave out this info. on the TToM.

but then again, i'm was also looking while be distracted by design replacement water and sewer lines at work...and i never get a chance to get on the computer at home these days.

i was trying to see if there were anything else mentioned about TToM besides it being what sounds like the seachan version of a nearly impregnable fortress. of course, given the use of damane, why would they have such a place? the attack on the white tower showed that when using damane, fixed fortifications are pretty useless.

Ozymandias
11-17-2009, 12:16 PM
yeah, but i hadn't seen it pop up on TL.

http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2650

Your right. It hasn't been said in all of two days.

Ishara
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
LOL. Poor yb.

Saucy, I like the idea, but the original Ogier can't have been like the Gardeners right away, right? I mean, they must have "started" out as peaceful and peaceloving as "our" Ogier. I can't see the supplanting of the Stedding for the purposes of war going over too well, though - you know? But maybe...

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
the original Ogier can't have been like the Gardeners right away, right? I mean, they must have "started" out as peaceful and peaceloving as "our" Ogier. I can't see the supplanting of the Stedding for the purposes of war going over too well, though - you know? But maybe...

True. But what if the fortress was built on the stedding, and that was what DREW the Ogier there after the fact?

Dunno. Just a random thought.

Ishara
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Ohhh. So maybe they prevented the Longing by becoming warriors - hell of a cost, eh?

Terez
11-17-2009, 01:40 PM
http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2650

You know, I was confused for a minute because I thought that this thread was that thread. I had no idea this was a new thread, lol. When I went to click on it just now, I was confused about how few replies were on it for a second, but I reduced the sound of that nagging thought to a fly's buzzing...

Spasmodean
11-17-2009, 01:56 PM
LOL. Poor yb.

Saucy, I like the idea, but the original Ogier can't have been like the Gardeners right away, right? I mean, they must have "started" out as peaceful and peaceloving as "our" Ogier. I can't see the supplanting of the Stedding for the purposes of war going over too well, though - you know? But maybe...

Weren't the Ogier like a police force in AOL?
During Rand's Rhuidean experience didn't someone say "You want the Ogier to come for you?" or something similar?

I think the Seanchan ones seem more true to the AOL Ogier tbh.

Davian93
11-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Weren't the Ogier like a police force in AOL?
During Rand's Rhuidean experience didn't someone say "You want the Ogier to come for you?" or something similar?

I think the Seanchan ones seem more true to the AOL Ogier tbh.

Yes, Yes they were. I think both the Seanchan and Randland Ogier are extremes from the AoL Ogier. The Randland went to the extreme peaceful side of the spectrum while the Seanchan Ogier went to the vicious deadly killer/Seanchan Imperial Stormtrooper side of the spectrum.

It will be interesting if and when they meet.

Yellowbeard
11-17-2009, 02:24 PM

well...sorry if i shit in your wheaties or something. i haven't read every single thread. not enough time between work, family, and the need to eat, sleep, and shower. that's why i said i had not seen it before, i didn't say there hadn't been one.

isamu237
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Just had a random thought here.
I mentioned in the previous post perhaps TToM would figure in as a foray to Seanchan to either secure the Imperial Throne or, more likely, gather up what armies remain loyal to Tuon and return to Randland for Tarmon Gaidon.
And then I randomly remembered Rand is going to "bind the nine moons to serve him". So could Rand end up helping in something like this to make Tuon beholden to him?

Ozymandias
11-17-2009, 07:29 PM
well...sorry if i shit in your wheaties or something. i haven't read every single thread. not enough time between work, family, and the need to eat, sleep, and shower. that's why i said i had not seen it before, i didn't say there hadn't been one.

I mean... it did say "Towers of Midnight" in the thread title? And it was right there, on the top half of the page...

As for the Ogier, it may be a territoriality thing? Randland Ogier never had the time or strength or desire to stop and fight; they were always looking for the stedding.. Maybe Seanchan Ogier found their stedding and were forced to defend them, hence promoting martial aspects of their culture.

Davian93
11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I mean... it did say "Towers of Midnight" in the thread title? And it was right there, on the top half of the page...

As for the Ogier, it may be a territoriality thing? Randland Ogier never had the time or strength or desire to stop and fight; they were always looking for the stedding.. Maybe Seanchan Ogier found their stedding and were forced to defend them, hence promoting martial aspects of their culture.

Could be...we know that they found the stedding rather easily and that there are more stedding in Seanchan as that's the reason Ogier Gardeners don't suffer from the Longing.

Spasmodean
11-17-2009, 08:49 PM
As I've said in another thread, I do not take book title literally.

Tower of Ghenjei, and all that is left to resolve there.
White Tower, with Mesaana still lurking in it as well as 4 Seanchan super assassins.
Black Tower, and ALL of the unresolved issues it has with Taim, the bonded sisters, the expedition from the Red Ajah loyalists and also the Salidar bonding trip with Faolain and Theodrin it.

3 towers need sorting out in the next 2 books, I think we'll see it done in TOM.

kivo
11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
As I've said in another thread, I do not take book title literally.

Tower of Ghenjei, and all that is left to resolve there.
White Tower, with Mesaana still lurking in it as well as 4 Seanchan super assassins.
Black Tower, and ALL of the unresolved issues it has with Taim, the bonded sisters, the expedition from the Red Ajah loyalists and also the Salidar bonding trip with Faolain and Theodrin it.

3 towers need sorting out in the next 2 books, I think we'll see it done in TOM.

Not to mention Moridin's black tower in the deep northeastern blight, or the 7 towers of Malkier, the last Lord of which rides to lead what may be the first charge on the front lines in the Last Battle.

a dragonburned fool
11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
The name "Towers of Midnight" corresponds too well to the name "armies of the night", as the first enemies of the Emprie there were known. So I'd suggest rather that it was a centre of pre-empire power, seat of their "Aes Sedai", Luthair's first amjor victory on the continent. I would rather expect Seandar to be assotiated with a stedding. In the first days the sul'dam corps was rather a great advantage for Luthair, on account of being a disciplined body of loyal channelers in contrast to the infights between the local AS.

Since the exotic beasts, especially raken and to'raken were known as special trait of the Armies of the Night, it is quite possible the Towers of Midnight were originally a large breeding pen for one or more varieties of such beasts.

A standing fortress still has it's value for an army with sul'dam. Seanchans demonstrated that by their attempt to seize Darluna, where Ituralde made his trap. Their reason to go to Darluna was, that in Fortress they can use more effectively their damane because they can see the enemy approaching before been seen themselves. To be effective an One Power attack against a fortress must be very powerfull and for that end the attacker must approach in force first.

The attack aaginst White Tower prove that a fortress not prepared for defense is a liability - a conclusion that doesn't need a channeler army to draw. If Tar Valon was prepared, the Aes Sedai could shoot down to-raken while still approaching.