PDA

View Full Version : House Jingleheimerschmidt

the silent speaker
11-18-2009, 11:45 PM
It can't have escaped your notice that a lot of RJ's characters have similar-sounding names. This is all to the good, as it adds to the feel of a coherent language behind them, but it can be taken too far. In WOT's case, names tend to have the form /s//r//n/ with optional vowels. I kind of want to see if we can caalog all of the names that do this.

Perfect fit:
1. All three consonants, in order s-r-n, no others. Examples: Saerin, Sarene.
2. /sh/ replaces /s/, no other changes. Example: Sharina.
Close enough:
1. All three consonants, no others, but order is wrong.
2. One consonant is missing, but remaining two are in the right order and none are added. Example: Siuan.
3. One consonant is added, but three base consonants are all present in the correct order. Example: Shemerin.
4. /m/ replaces /n/, no other changes. Example: Sheriam.
5. Name is a surname or place name. Examples: (Egeanin) Sarna, town of Serana (in Tarabon).

The list starts, ho:
Saerin
Sarene
Seaine
Siuan
Suana
Sheriam
Shemerin
Sharina
Sahra (the novice killed in TSR)
Rina
(Einor) Saren
Asne
(Egeanin) Sarna
Sharbon (Carridin's servant)
Shiaine
Shienar
Serana

How many more members of House Jingleheimerschmidt can we come up with?

reTaardad
11-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Here's the BNF as best as I can do it, because being obsessed with the Wheel of Time just doesn't make me a big enough geek. Also, the "close enough" category is too big to narrow into syntax, it'd basically just be a name generator at that point without any specific goal.

<perfectname> ::= [<vowel>] ("S"|"SH") <vowel> "R" <vowel> "N" [<vowel>]

<closeenough> ::= [<vowel>] [("S"|"SH"|<other>)] <vowel> ["R"|<other>] <vowel> ["N"|<other>] [<vowel>]

<vowel> ::= "A"|"E"|"I"|"O"|"U"|<vowel>

<other> ::= "B"|"C"|"D"|"F"|"G"|"H"|"J"|"K"|"L"|"M"|"N"|"P"|"Q"|"R"|"S"|"T"|"V"|"W"|"X"|"Y"|"Z"|<other>

Trutino
11-19-2009, 02:34 AM
For me, it is always the crazy number of vowels in a row or with only one separating consonant:

Seaine (My favorite)
Siuan
Siuan
Nynaeve
Leuese
Lisaine/Losaine
Luaine
Belevaere
Briain
Careane

I also like female Aiel names that end in -ndha or -ndhra

Tercel
11-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Brandon Sanderson was complaining in the tGS signings about how hard he finds it to come up with WoT sounding names. We could create a WoT name generator for his use... it could let you select country of origin and it would generate random names applicable to that country.

It's interesting we have seen many names being reused. You'd really expect there to be more common names that more than one character has... although I imagine that would be potentially confusing.

Davian93
11-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Perhaps they dont have a Judeo Christian heritage where everyone and their sister is named Mark, John, Paul, Peter, Mary, Maria, etc.

It'd be rather boring of there were 5 or 6 "Rand's" running around.

Bonzi77
11-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Perhaps they dont have a Judeo Christian heritage where everyone and their sister is named Mark, John, Paul, Peter, Mary, Maria, etc.

It'd be rather boring of there were 5 or 6 "Rand's" running around.

What the last couple of books really need is a life of Brian type character running around that everyone keeps confusing for the Dragon.

GonzoTheGreat
11-19-2009, 06:45 AM
I learned that the Romans generally only had about 4 first names they would regularly use, and a fifth child of the same gender then got the name Quintus (meaning Five). So while I am quite willing to blame Christians for a lot, you can't say that they decreased the Roman Empire' stock of potential first names.

Davian93
11-19-2009, 07:40 AM
:D What the last couple of books really need is a life of Brian type character running around that everyone keeps confusing for the Dragon.

Ironic in that that was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my reply.

You get Rep!

Davian93
11-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I learned that the Romans generally only had about 4 first names they would regularly use, and a fifth child of the same gender then got the name Quintus (meaning Five). So while I am quite willing to blame Christians for a lot, you can't say that they decreased the Roman Empire' stock of potential first names.

The "Stardust" method of naming people...Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Septimus...(yes, I skipped some)

All the Christians did was populize a bunch of Hebrew names all across Christendom...ironic considering how anti-semitic most of Europe over the years.

Bonzi77
11-19-2009, 08:27 AM
:D

Ironic in that that was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my reply.

You get Rep!

Brand: ...Will you please listen? I'm not the Dragon Reborn! Do you understand? Honestly!
Woman: Only the true Dragon denies his divinity!
Brand: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right, I am the Dragon Reborn!
Crowd of Dragonsworn: He is! He is the Dragon Reborn!
Brand: Now fuck off!
[Silence]
Artur: How shall we fuck off, my Lord Dragon?

GonzoTheGreat
11-19-2009, 08:48 AM
The "Stardust" method of naming people...Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Septimus...(yes, I skipped some)

All the Christians did was populize a bunch of Hebrew names all across Christendom...ironic considering how anti-semitic most of Europe over the years.Well, you were the one who suggested that a Judeo Christian heritage meant having only a few first names. I just wanted to point out that without that, everyone you ever met would either be called Flavius or Flavia.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
What the last couple of books really need is a life of Brian type character running around that everyone keeps confusing for the Dragon.

Insert Taim here. Ah, let the hilarity ensue.

Matoyak
11-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Insert Taim here. Ah, let the hilarity ensue.Taimrandred? :eek: