PDA

View Full Version : Okay - New Questions Thread - What's left?

Tamyrlin
11-20-2009, 01:37 PM
What do we want to know? What theories are hanging on that we think Brandon would kill for us?

I'm planning on talking to him about the nature of the Dark One. What else?

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Ask who killed Asmodean.

Comedy. That's Comedy.

Bonzi77
11-20-2009, 02:12 PM
If you could do me a favor, ask if the three oaths have to be sworn word for word. I'm wondering if Mesaana could subtly change the wording of her oath to invalidate it. Such as "by the light, I swear...".

FelixPax
11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
What do we want to know? What theories are hanging on that we think Brandon would kill for us?

I'm planning on talking to him about the nature of the Dark One. What else?

Questions for Brandon:

#1 - "Who are Mat's People"? In reference to his first Aelfinn question.

#2 - Are Talaan's three relatives Clan rank Windfinders from Dacan, Rossaine, Takana Clans? Great-grandmother; grandmother; and great-grandmother's sister?

#3 - Are we going to see more descriptions of each Sea Folk Clans unique tattoos designs, and variation for lines within a Clan, within the next two books?

#4 - Why didn't Setalle Anan, Seta, and Bethamin Zeami go along with the three Aes Sedai into Hinderstap with Thom, Mat, and Talmanes in tGS? I thought Joline was teaching the Sul'dam, so what were they doing?

#5 - Are Elayne, Nynaeve Dreamers too?

I ask because there is an Elayne where she Dreams of all the women who are going to "share" Rand (Liandrin, Min, Egwene, Birgitte, Aviendha, Amathera among others), in the same chapter that Birgitte wakes up in the wagon for the first time outside the TAR.

#6 - Who came up with the idea of binding Aes Sedai to Three Oaths?

#7 - How are memories from the "Old Blood" different than a soul's reborn memories say Birgitte's before and after being ripped out of the TAR? And also Mat's Eelfinn given memories? How is the "old blood" memories different, unique?

#8 - Did Da'shain Aiel have first-sisters, first-brothers, second-fathers, second-mothers type family structure?

#8 - Were these lines setup for future irony ;) :

"From Saldaea, eh?" Elyas said when she was done.
Perrin nodded. "That's right. We thought about seeing Maradon first. I'd surely like to see the King. But the capital city would be the first place our fathers would look."

#9 - Was Luca, reborn as Valan Luca in the current Age? Is he a Hero, as is pointedly suggested in KoD, Chapter "A Stave and a Razor" and elsewhere in the series? That's those are my theories.

#10 - Have we seen the living dead ghosts of Comelle already in the story? One hundred leagues westward over the sun-sparkled water, off the edge of the cliff (tSR, Ch. "The Dedicated" - Rand' pov, memories of Jonai); that would be roughly westward of now Land's End, Saldaea yes?

#11 - Noal is Ishamael's tool, right? ;)

#12 - There are 12 Sea Folk Clans, as Harine din Togara Two Winds implies directly in KoD Chapter "To Make an Anchor Weep", yes? Not six Sea Folk Clans as eWOT suggests?

That's a few unasked questions I had for Brandon during his booktour, but never was able to ask. I was trying to respect the next 100-150 other people behind me in line, by being quick.

I could of queried him about Mesaana, Verin, Balefire...but I figured a million other people would bring those questions up and we'd all learn the answers if any were given.

Thanks Tam for asking for questions! I appreciate it.:)

Yuri33
11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
1) Clarify whether Rand truly had the DO's permission or not to use the TP.

2) Does the Healing of stilling by the same gender result in a proportional loss or a fixed loss of channeling strength? (an indirect way to get more info on the Cyndane issue without being RAFOed, hopefully)

3) Were male channelers across Randland able to feel Rand's use of the male CK when he destroyed it atop Dragonmount?

4) Why did the female but not male CK break at the Cleansing? (now that both are gone, he may not RAFO this)

5) Has Egwene's "struggling up a cliff and being rescued by a Seanchan with a sword" dream been fulfilled with the unification of the WT? (just to settle things absolutely)

FelixPax
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
5) Has Egwene's "struggling up a cliff and being rescued by a Seanchan with a sword" dream been fulfilled with the unification of the WT? (just to settle things absolutely)

Yuri - I recall Brandon saying elsewhere that, that particular prophecy had not been fulfilled; Egwene's dream of the one Seanchan with a sword on a mountain side/cliff.

Belazamon
11-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Yuri - I recall Brandon saying elsewhere that, that particular prophecy had not been fulfilled; Egwene's dream of the one Seanchan with a sword on a mountain side/cliff.
I believe the problem is that Brandon said "only the dreams/prophecies about the White Tower attack" were fulfilled. So it's a question of whether this was a Dream about the attack or not.

Weird Harold
11-20-2009, 03:03 PM
What do we want to know? ...

Has Egwene (or anyone else) become Ta'veren since RJ said there were no female ta'veren?

What effect, if any, did the existance of ta'veren abroad in the world have on the growth of Egwene's influence in the WT before the Seanchan attack?

Bonzi77
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Has Egwene (or anyone else) become Ta'veren since RJ said there were no female ta'veren?

What effect, if any, did the existance of ta'veren abroad in the world have on the growth of Egwene's influence in the WT before the Seanchan attack?

I've wondered about Tuon, myself.

Terez
11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Here's a list of questions, mostly from factions:

Did the reintegration constitute a 'death' for Lews Therin? Does this fulfill Min's touch/merge viewing? Does this fulfill the 'Finns' 'to live you must die'?

In the Age of Legends, was Lanfear artificially enhanced to be either stronger in the Power, or more beautiful?

Did Verin have anything to do with Alanna bonding Rand?

One previous (and contested) signing report says that RJ stated the time loop trap (with the flies) in The Great Hunt was set by Fain. Is this true?

In the lives where Heroes don't do 'anything extraordinary' (BS's words), are they still 'corrective mechanisms'?

Can Darkfriends be Heroes of the Horn? (I think this is a dumb question, but some people actually argue that they can be.)

Was Tuon already aware that sul'dam could learn to channel, or did she just learn that after arriving on the Randland continent?

Are the gholam also immune to the True Power?

Possible RAFOs, but it can't hurt to ask:

Why is Lanfear weaker in the Power now that she's been transmigrated as Cyndane?

Since all of the rebels' ter'angreal were confirmed missing, why was Sheriam missing a finger (or possibly more than one finger)?

Can burned-out channelers be Healed?

Is the Book of Translation a guide to the Portal Stones?

Did transmigration (as in, the way some Forsaken were brought back from the dead) have anything to do with the way Slayer was made?

Is Taim a new Forsaken?

Who sent the Shadowspawn attack to Lord Algarin's manor?

Terez
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I've wondered about Tuon, myself.
These answers seem to imply that she is not ta'veren:

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Dallas Borders 14 November 2009 - Aubree Pham reporting (http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,49575.msg1358813.html#msg1358813)

Rand did not use Compulsion, or any other weaves, on Tuon at their meeting. Tuon's refusal was mainly due to her innate sense of self. At this point, she firmly believes that she is the most important person in the world.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Books and Co., Dayton, OH 11 November 2009 - Tim Kington reporting (http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=1043)

Q: After Rand has channeled the True Power, he has a dark cloud around him. When he meets with Tuon after this, she manages to resist his ta’veren pull. Is this because the True Power has reduced his ta’veren mojo?
A: The reason she manages to resist is that she has a lot of willpower. Rand is just as ta’veren as ever.
Because if she was, that would have had something to do with how she resisted, but Brandon says it's just willpower.

Terez
11-20-2009, 03:24 PM
1) Clarify whether Rand truly had the DO's permission or not to use the TP.
We're working on verifying this with Peter, so it might be best not to waste a question on it.

3) Were male channelers across Randland able to feel Rand's use of the male CK when he destroyed it atop Dragonmount?
This one seems like a no-brainer?

Kurtz
11-20-2009, 03:54 PM

No brainer, yay or nay? He only held the Power without using it. Can that still be sensed from afar?

WinespringBrother
11-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Can dreamwalkers trapped in Finnland still access TAR/GOI when asleep?

Are there different chambers in Finnland where answers/gifts are given, or just one?
edit: meaning 1 chamber for the Aelfinn and 1 for the Eelfinn, or multiple for each.

Why didn't Perrin use TAR to locate the Shaido?

How many souls does Slayer have?

How did Sammael know that Rand had warded the Shadar Logoth Waygate?

Can Shadowspawn travel by Portal Stone or Redstone ter'angreal?

Was Tuon tested for damane?

Can you sense someone's ability to channel in TAR if they are only there in the spirit?

I have more at home :)

Terez
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
No brainer, yay or nay? He only held the Power without using it. Can that still be sensed from afar?
I don't see why it wouldn't be. But if that's the distinction, then ask.

Yuri33
11-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Considering we have no evidence of anyone showing up to kill him like at the Cleansing...no, this isn't a no-brainer.

Spasmodean
11-20-2009, 06:39 PM
More to the point, what questions do we NOT want asked, wasting a valuable question slot :D

Terez
11-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Considering we have no evidence of anyone showing up to kill him like at the Cleansing...no, this isn't a no-brainer.It was made very clear that the whole thing only took a couple of minutes. The Cleansing lasted all damn day. Also, the Forsaken learned from their last attempt that there was nothing they could do, and they only reason any of them went is because they were ordered to in advance.

bowlwoman
11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
2) Does the Healing of stilling by the same gender result in a proportional loss or a fixed loss of channeling strength? (an indirect way to get more info on the Cyndane issue without being RAFOed, hopefully)

On a similar note, can someone whose stilling was Healed by a member of the same sex (i.e. Siuan and Leanne) and are experiencing a loss of strength be re-stilled and then re-Healed by a member of the opposite sex and regain their original (pre-any-stilling) strength? Kinda like rebreaking a bone that healed incorrectly and resetting it.

Terez
11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I think questions are closed now. Tam has left the building (and gone to the signing). He put all the questions on his phone so he wouldn't have to break out his computer.

bowlwoman
11-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Drat. This is what I get for doing laundry and reading Project Runway postmortems all day. :)

Terez
11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
There is one more signing tomorrow, though. Brandon actually didn't make it to the signing tonight because his plane was delayed due to a bad storm, but I think he's still meeting with Stormleaders (hahaha....ha).

Yuri33
11-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Since Brandon brought up this whole mystery about the small detail that starts in books 4-6 and has been mentioned several times since, I'm wondering if he will confirm that he himself included references to that detail in TGS.

Matoyak
11-21-2009, 04:23 AM
I believe the problem is that Brandon said "only the dreams/prophecies about the White Tower attack" were fulfilled. So it's a question of whether this was a Dream about the attack or not.No, this was clarified at the signing I went to (I know, I asked the question). I asked if the seanchan woman with a sword and the seanchan woman with her when she talked to Rand visions/dreams/prophecies had come to pass yet. He said no, they had not. Then he went on to say that only the seanchan attack had been fulfilled. As far as I am concerned, he unambiguously answered that one, but there have been issues with interviews/Q&As being wrong before ~shrug~

There is one more signing tomorrow, though. Brandon actually didn't make it to the signing tonight because his plane was delayed due to a bad storm, but I think he's still meeting with Stormleaders (hahaha....ha). ha.

Belazamon
11-22-2009, 12:24 AM
No, this was clarified at the signing I went to (I know, I asked the question). I asked if the seanchan woman with a sword and the seanchan woman with her when she talked to Rand visions/dreams/prophecies had come to pass yet. He said no, they had not. Then he went on to say that only the seanchan attack had been fulfilled. As far as I am concerned, he unambiguously answered that one, but there have been issues with interviews/Q&As being wrong before ~shrug~
That's cool. When I said "it's a question of this," I actually was just talking about the original intent of whomever posted that question in this thread. ;)

Tercel
11-22-2009, 04:30 PM
No one seems to have asked about the types of codes and ciphers used in Randland.

I am convinced Moiraine's letter to Thom contains a hidden message, but it is impossible to work it out without some hint about what type of code/cipher might be in use.

jason wolfbrother
11-22-2009, 05:24 PM
If you read it backward in a mirror it says "Moiraine is dead"

;) ;) :cool: :p