PDA

View Full Version : Extra Quote Tags

Terez
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
How do I prevent them, and how do I get rid of them when vbulletin supplies them? A good example of what I'm talking about is this post (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2754). It inserts extra ending and beginning quote tags in the middle of my quotes, and no matter how many times I edit and erase them, they're still there.

Weird Harold
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
How do I prevent them, and how do I get rid of them when vbulletin supplies them?

I can't duplicate the problem, but It looks like there is something about the way you're breaking the paragraph between your heading and the quote itself -- perhaps an invisible character or formatting code you're picking up from your source document?

Try putting a period on the blank line between the heading and body of the quote.

Terez
11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I can't duplicate the problem, but It looks like there is something about the way you're breaking the paragraph between your heading and the quote itself -- perhaps an invisible character or formatting code you're picking up from your source document?
I tried deleting all formatting between those spots, and it didn't work.

Try putting a period on the blank line between the heading and body of the quote.
Will try that next. I know it's happened to other people...

Weird Harold
11-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I tried deleting all formatting between those spots, and it didn't work.

It might be a formatting code before the Heading that doesn't require an end code.

I've encountered a few formatting elements like that when doing C&P from websites to Text that Word won't even recognise the content exists, let alone allow changes. <shrug>

You might try a new C&P that leaves off the first character of the heading and manually typ in the missing letter.

Terez
11-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I always type the heading out myself. :confused: I rarely use the search engine, and as for how THAT does when copied and pasted into vbulletin....let's not go there...

Weird Harold
11-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I always type the heading out myself. :confused: I rarely use the search engine, and as for how THAT does when copied and pasted into vbulletin....let's not go there...
So the problem must be in the quote portion. Does it do it if you quote from the middle of a pararaph?

Terez
11-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I almost never quote from the middle of a paragraph. But I am thinking that it has something to do with font.

Weird Harold
11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
I almost never quote from the middle of a paragraph.

But I am thinking that it has something to do with font.

adding a font change in the middle of your post didn't duplicate the problem for me; not even with an added paragraph break to go with the font change.

What Font are you specifying? (I tried Century Gothic and Georgia.)

Terez
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
adding a font change in the middle of your post didn't duplicate the problem for me; not even with an added paragraph break to go with the font change.

What Font are you specifying? (I tried Century Gothic and Georgia.)
I'm talking about copy/pasting stuff that has a format already, not choosing different font from within vbulletin's options.

Weird Harold
11-30-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm talking about copy/pasting stuff that has a format already, not choosing different font from within vbulletin's options.

If you're C&P from Wordperfect, I could see that possibly causing a problem, but I've never had that problem with C&P from an HTML or Word(97) Document into an HTML text/js text box; those always paste as unformated ASCII.

Terez
11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, it's usually copying from web pages (HTML docs) that causes the problem.

Weird Harold
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah, it's usually copying from web pages (HTML docs) that causes the problem.
Which Editor mode are you using? WSIWYG?