PDA

View Full Version : What came of the Charity Character Contest?

Brita
11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by BS: First, you can bid in the silent auction. This is just what it sounds like—you bid an amount, if you bid the most, you get a walk-on part in the Wheel of Time. I promise you a few lines of dialogue at least, and I'll let you pick your nationality and affiliation. We get veto rights over the spelling of your name—it has to fit the world and culture—but other than that, you've got a lot of control over what your character will look like and act like. The bidding ends early April; details are on TarValon's website.

However, Melissa and I realized that this auction would probably go high, probably into the thousands of dollars. We'd get one huge donation, but a lot of people would feel left out. And so we decided to create a SECOND way that you could appear in the Wheel of Time. During the Last Battle, there will be a lot of groups fighting the Shadow. Well, we're going to develop and include a special group to represent the Wheel of Time fans who donate in our charity drive. If you can't participate in the auction, you can still donate a few bucks to Heifer through Tar Valon's link, and you can consider yourself part of this group. We're letting the fans vote on what the group's nationality is, and from there we'll probably let the fans pick the banner for the group as well. This group will be written into the novel (there are several places where I'll need to be doing this and inserting various groups of people) as participating. Several of the officers of the group will be mentioned by name. Those officers names will be drawn randomly from everyone who donated at least $20 to the fund raiser through TarValon.net.

Anyone know if this happened in TGS or if it will be coming in the next books?

Davian93
11-30-2009, 10:47 AM
I believe Sleete Johnson of Winnipeg was the eventual winner.

Brita
11-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I believe Sleete Johnson of Winnipeg was the eventual winner.

Was he written into this book? What scene and what character, I wonder.

Davian93
11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Was he written into this book? What scene and what character, I wonder.

Um...I was joking around about the new warder named Sleete. I honestly dont know who the winner was but am just as curious to find out who it was.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Brandon periodically posts on Facebook the names of the people he is using...pretty amusing, I think one said something like, sorry, you were killed by a Trolloc!

I have seen 5-6 posts of these types from him, but they appear to be for the next book.

Brita
11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Um...I was joking around about the new warder named Sleete. I honestly dont know who the winner was but am just as curious to find out who it was.

Gasp! I misread the mood of your post? What's wrong with me, I never do that...

I actually googled Sleete Johnson and mused to myself "Winnipeg? Really?"

LOL!

Thanks SBC- I'll have to check Brandon's fb page more often.

Davian93
11-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Gasp! I misread the mood of your post? What's wrong with me, I never do that...

I actually googled Sleete Johnson and mused to myself "Winnipeg? Really?"

LOL!

Thanks SBC- I'll have to check Brandon's fb page more often.

I meant to put a ";)" at the end of it but forgot. The fault is mine, Aes Sedai.

~hangs head~

Bonzi77
11-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I think one of the towns near Tar Valon was a manipulation of someone's name as well. I saw that on twitter.

Davian93
11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I think one of the towns near Tar Valon was a manipulation of someone's name as well. I saw that on twitter.

I'm waiting for "Bran Al'Sander" to make an appearance in the next book. He will be an aspiring writer from the Two Rivers.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
My last name, Sommerfeld, could easily translate into a place. I keep hoping :p

Davian93
11-30-2009, 11:39 AM
My last name, Sommerfeld, could easily translate into a place. I keep hoping :p

The tiny village of Sommerfeldtownville was quickly overrun with Trollocs...

Maze
12-01-2009, 07:11 AM
The tiny village of Sommerfeldtownville was quickly overrun with Trollocs...

damn you! :p you just made my boss realize I was browsing TL, feelin proud, huh?

Anyways,had a good laugh, but i wish (as a dutchy) that stuff like this was also better available in Europe... no signing or events here.

hell I had to visit over 20 stores (period of 3-15 days after the release of TGS), to conclude that I wasn't gonna get a copy within another month if I didn't order online.

Also too bad the bumper stickers aren't on sale online :p ...

so concludingly i'm not really into the process of the namepicking :D

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2009, 07:37 AM
" 'Something,' Tijds?" Bryne asked.The name "Tijds" seems a bit Dutch, to be honest. Though I don't know of anyone in the Netherlands who has that name.
Then again, "The Wheel of Time" is translated into Dutch as "Het Rad des Tijds", so it is possible that this is simply a translation joke which BS slipped into the series. Makes me wonder how this particular soldier is going to be called in the Dutch version of the book.

Maze
12-01-2009, 07:39 AM
im voting for "vadertje Tijd" (Father Time). Actually up to TGS i read the series in dutch, but im gonna buy the english novels for my next read later on...

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I doubt the "Vadertje Tijd" explanation, considering what's right before the line I quoted.
A youthful soldier with neat black hair pushed into the tent and gave a quick salute. He didn't apologize for coming so late—Bryne's men knew that their general trusted them to awake him if there was need. "My Lord," the man said. "Scout's report. Something is going on in the city."
" 'Something,' Tijds?" Bryne asked.
"The scouts aren't certain, my Lord," the man said with a grimace. "With the cloud cover, the night is dark, and the spyglasses aren't much help. There have been bursts of light near the Tower, like an Illuminator's show. Dark shadows in the air."
Vadertje Tijd is generally portrayed as an old man, not a youthful one.

Maze
12-01-2009, 07:47 AM
on a scale of one to ten, how serious did you figure I was? :confused:

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2009, 08:52 AM
About 7, I would say, using the scale that works best on this site.

Isabel
12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
damn you! :p you just made my boss realize I was browsing TL, feelin proud, huh?

Anyways,had a good laugh, but i wish (as a dutchy) that stuff like this was also better available in Europe... no signing or events here.

hell I had to visit over 20 stores (period of 3-15 days after the release of TGS), to conclude that I wasn't gonna get a copy within another month if I didn't order online.

Also too bad the bumper stickers aren't on sale online :p ...

so concludingly i'm not really into the process of the namepicking :D

REally? I got it 3 days early in the netherlands. Thanks to Sare. NOt all the stores have it, but some. You can also ask a store to get it for you.
The ABC in Amsterdam always has the book as well.

And we did have signings and readings. RJ has visited
the netherlands :)

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I looked on selexyz.nl (the site of a chain of bookstores), and if you search for "Robert Jordan Gathering Storm", and then click on the right book, then you can find a "Bekijk de voorraad in de winkel" link, which lets you know in which shops of that chain the book is and isn't found.
The first two days it was only two shops, but now it is quite a few more. Unless you're living in Drente or Overijsel, there should be one reasonably close by. And, let's face it: hardly anyone important lives in those provinces.

Mat is Better
12-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm waiting for "Bran Al'Sander" to make an appearance in the next book. He will be an aspiring writer from the Two Rivers.

Nice :D

Maze
12-03-2009, 07:00 AM
I looked on selexyz.nl (the site of a chain of bookstores), and if you search for "Robert Jordan Gathering Storm", and then click on the right book, then you can find a "Bekijk de voorraad in de winkel" link, which lets you know in which shops of that chain the book is and isn't found.
The first two days it was only two shops, but now it is quite a few more. Unless you're living in Drente or Overijsel, there should be one reasonably close by. And, let's face it: hardly anyone important lives in those provinces.

well, it was a bit more complicated :p I ordered the book from the signed page after an article on Dragonmount. But I figured "why wait over a month on a signed book, when you can buy another copy right away" ... so a few days after the release I started looking in the book stores. I find it more enjoyable just browsing stores to see if I can find the book... in my opinion, web shops are the easy way out. All though I'll order sooner at a web shop than a book store.

And i live in (province) Utrecht, but just barely :p its a 15 minute Walk from my home in Veenendaal (grand total of 68.000 inhabitants :p) to the border with Gelderland.

Of course I did browse bol.com, blz.nl, selexyz.nl ect. in the progress of the book becomming available. and after aswell.

Eventually my girlfriend told me that if I wanted to get the book that bad, I should just order a second copy online, and so I did... and I still haven't received the copy from the signed page, signing was somewhere late November, so i'm still waiting on it :p.