PDA

View Full Version : Graendal posibilities

hippie-joe
12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
ok, i know i haven't been on for some time. i discovered a life, lol. no not really i still don't really have a life. but enough about all that.

Graendal... i read the spoiler review and it brought a thought to mind that i hadn't thought of during my reading of TGS. of corse now i'm begining to think it doesn't hold water. but sense i'm here i might as well goathead any ways.

so here goes, rand used a rather large beam of BF, fort/castle sized to be exact. in doing so this caused the fort/castle to dissapear sometime in the past. of corse we all knew this, you say, why even bother. the question goes back to how far back does a BF beam that size take an object back? as i was previously berated, a man sized BF beam only takes one back a matter of hours or less.

now judging by the discription of the fort/castle, it was no small edifice. so if it burned the thread of the weekend retreat castle back b4 graendal got there then it wouldn't matter if the compullsion was gone because she would have never been there.

the question is, and i realize this kinda sounds stupid (this is what i spoke of earlier about how i doubt it holds water), but would it just take out the building and not those with in the dwelling?

i also have an irrelavent side thought. if it distroyed it b4 the ppl inside were born then technically rand didn't kill all those ppl sense it wasn't there for them to be there to be BFed, right?

back to the thought at hand... now in this instance of BF IIRC it did something that i don't remember it doing before. now this could be that it is because it took out the whole place instead of just a hole in the wall, or that i just have a slippery memory and that it did that b4 and slipped my mind. but it perfected it, turned it a brilliant white then it faded away leaving an after image and what not.

so... this whole theory hinges on the idea that the BF was strong enough to burn the castle thread back to a time b4 graendal found it and that it only took down the house which means Graendal never set up there thus whats-his-face was never compelled.

now like i said as i opened this window to relay my ideas it occured to me that this is dumb. if G was in that BF then her thread was burned back to that time too and thus, suddenly faded away.

so now i'm torn, well kinda, but not really. i would still be interested in what everyone one here has to say about it:)

also, a quick thanks to WH for the spoiler tag thing on the other thread, that's pretty cool and i didn't know how to do it till after i typed this up so i fixed it for y'all.

Ozymandias
12-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Yes but Graendal exists separate from the existence of Natrin's Barrow. So her thread was also burned out along with the thread of the castle.

As in, assuming your suppositions are correct, Graendal's thread is also burned out of the Pattern before she can take up residence. You might be correct, if Graendal had not been caught in the balefire too. But her life is burned out an equal distance back as the castle's, thus making the whole paradox a moot point (in this case, I'm sure there are places it'll be problematic).

Ger
12-08-2009, 05:40 AM
sorry about my ignorance, but do physical things have threads on the pattern? i thought it was only living beings...

WinespringBrother
12-08-2009, 08:20 AM
per several discussions of balefire, Brandon specified that there are definite limits on how far back someone can be burned out of the pattern even by the most powerful blasts of balefire. I think the math of it came out to about a week, when using the CK. He stated that there is no way, for example, that it would have brought Asmodean back assuming that Graendal was his killer and that she was indeed balefired by Rand. We know that Graendal has been in the same place since before Asmodean's death, so the balefire couldn't have removed her thread from earlier than when she took residence there.

Daekyras
12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
sorry about my ignorance, but do physical things have threads on the pattern? i thought it was only living beings...

Was thinking that as I read the original post.

Anyway, is the major issue with Graendal, apart from my poor spelling, whether or not it was her in the building or, if she was present, the balefire was strong enough to burn back to a particular major event in the series.....that she may or may not have been involved with...

GonzoTheGreat
12-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I think that if that were a problem, then LTT would have said something about it. He's the balefire expert, after all. Notwithstanding all Cadsuane's attempts to usurp that position.

One Armed Gimp
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Yes, everything has a thread.

Claire: (comment regarding the thread on Dragonmount where some are arguing that by balefiring Graendal's palace, the compulsion disappeared since there'd never had been a palace in the first place, and others are arguing that it doesn't work that way, objects don't have threads).
Brandon: Everything has a thread, not just souls. Even a stone in a wall has a thread in the Pattern.

Ger
12-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Yes, everything has a thread.

Spasmodean
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I have my doubts.

Graendal's POVs have always made reference to the fact that she wouldn't ever directly confront LTT.

To have an ambassador for him show up at her palace might make her instantly flee.

She could have had pet Aes Sedai make the compulsion on Ramshalan and fled or it could be done using her minor angreal which she left behind and got balefired or some other loopy time paradox.

After the few POV's we've had from graendal and i believe we got to know her character better than any other of the Chosen - to be thrown away like that seems....weak to me.

ckparrothead
12-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I think I come out on the side of thinking that there's some strange loophole that means she is still alive.

But to be clear, Sanderson has discussed a few times how far back he thinks it's possible to burn a thread and it's pretty clear that not only does he consider it impossible to burn a thread going back months or a year, or whatever...but that it's not even really a question he's considered much before let alone wrote an important plot line about.

There could definitely be some loophole that means she's alive...but all of this discussion that's built on the basis of how far back Rand could have burned the pattern is IMO for naught.

Besides Rand noted later that he really only pulled out a small amount of Power through the Choedan Kal when he balefired the castle, compared with what he drew to cleanse saidin.

Yuri33
12-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Graendal is toast!

the silent speaker
12-10-2009, 01:03 AM
If the building vanished before Graendal had a chance to meet Ramshalan, then it disappeared from under her before she could have left after putting the Compulsion on him. She would have suddenly dropped three stories or so and gone splat.

Weird Harold
12-10-2009, 01:46 AM
If the building vanished before Graendal had a chance to meet Ramshalan, then it disappeared from under her before she could have left after putting the Compulsion on him. She would have suddenly dropped three stories or so and gone splat.
Objects may have threads, but they don't cause temporal anomalies when balefired.

When Jeaine Caide tried to balefire Nynaeve with the fluted black rod in the Panarch's Palace, (TSR,Ch54,) the cuendillar objects dropped whenthe display cases were destroyed, the did not suddenly appear on the floor where they had already fallen because of when the display cases' threads were burned back to.

But, I agree with Yuri: "Greandal is toast." She was in the fort when it was destroyed and it was her compulsion that disappeared from ramshalan as a result.

the silent speaker
12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm agreeing with you, WH. If the building doesn't cause temporal anomalies, we're back to where we started and Graendal got caught in the balefire. If it does, Graendal is just as dead, because she got caught in the temporal anomaly.

Ger
12-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Objects may have threads, but they don't cause temporal anomalies when balefired.

When Jeaine Caide tried to balefire Nynaeve with the fluted black rod in the Panarch's Palace, (TSR,Ch54,) the cuendillar objects dropped whenthe display cases were destroyed, the did not suddenly appear on the floor where they had already fallen because of when the display cases' threads were burned back to.

I dont think that makes much sense, if the thread of an object is burned back, then it should cause anomalies, most probably RJ didnt thought about that in that scene you mention (or didnt put much thought on the burning item threads subject).
I m not telling that graendal is alive, just pointing that if items have threads, and balefire burns the threads backwards in time, then there is no possible way that they dont cause anomalies...

GonzoTheGreat
12-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Perhaps there is a differnce between living and non-living threads?

Crispin's Crispian
12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Perhaps there is a differnce between living and non-living threads?

If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do more with change over time, as well as interaction with other threads. Living threads change much more quickly than the threads of some inanimate objects, as evidenced by the changes in Tel'aran'rhiod. A house makes a deeper "impression" in reality because it stays in one place for a long time. A person or a cat moves around and interacts with other threads much more frequently.

Moreover, humans and animals initiate those interactions, while inanimate objects do not. Since the reality seems to be affected mainly by decision points (many-worlds), and only living things make decisions, it is the burning out of living threads that causes the most anomalies.

Put more simply, the Pattern weaves animate objects around inanimate objects, and that weave is affected by the decisions of the animate. Naturally, burning out decision-making threads has much greater impact.

GonzoTheGreat
12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Would the sea in TAR have waves?

Weird Harold
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I dont think that makes much sense,

Nothing about Balefire makes much sense, :D

if the thread of an object is burned back, then it should cause anomalies, most probably RJ didnt thought about that in that scene you mention (or didn't put much thought on the burning item threads subject).

Check Terez' signature link for Q&A's about Balefire over the years; RJ put a lot of thought into Balefire.

It does make some sense, because objects don't act so there are no actions to undo.

BWB
This weapon was used liberally for a year by both sides - until they discovered its hidden cost. The searing energy of balefire did more than kill or destroy - it actually burned threads from the pattern. Anything destroyed this way actually ceased to exist before the moment of destruction, leaving only a memory of deeds no longer done and souls forever erased from the pattern. Not only that; whatever had been done because of those vanished actions also no longer had been done. The greater the power of the balefire, the further back in time its victim ceased to exist. During the year of unrestricted use, entire cities were burned from the pattern, and the world and its universe were threatened by the broken and loose threads. Reality itself was in danger of unraveling.

RJ did condradict one part of that paragraph when he said balfired souls are sent back to the "soul pool" and not destroyed forever. However, the balefire scenes RJ are consistent with the premise that it is the removal of actions from the Pattern that cause the temporal anomalies.

Hugh the Hand
12-17-2009, 09:37 PM
If A) I am the only one who thinks Graendal's death was awfully anticlimactic? and or
B) That she might not be dead.

As to (B) I am sure many have posted theories on this. She could have set the weave to dissipate after a short time. I do not know if this is possible and or if the Supergirl would know the difference.
Or Graendal could have had a Black Sister do the weave and ran. However, both of these random "theories" would require her knowing a trap was coming.

Which leaves us with my original point. After the all the time devoted to her, and even the portion of the Prologue devoted to her, it kinda sucks that she was killed off so quickly.

Yes, yes, I know it was an important step in Rand's downward spiral into darkness, and eventual rebound into the light, but it still seemed like Graendal was an actress who was fired for asking for too much money and the writers just decided to quickly kill her off camera.

Terez
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
If A) I am the only one who thinks Graendal's death was awfully anticlimactic? and or
Both were discussed here (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2444), as soon as the book came out, and other places as well. Oddly enough, I agree with Isa on that one. And an RJ quote that makes a good comparison:

Crossroads of Twilight Book Tour 18 January 2003 - Cambridge, MA (http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Jan_18:_Barnes_and_Noble,_Cambridge,_MA)

Q: Is Sammael dead?

RJ: Jordan responded that Sammael was dead as of the end of A Crown of Swords. Jordan felt that the character was a "louse" and didn't deserve a dramatic death ala Rahvin or Be'lal. He deserved a very vague death and was killed by something that he didn't pay attention to.
I think that, in much the same way, Graendal deserved to be outsmarted.

wolframbohr2
12-18-2009, 12:46 AM
I agree with terez. Plus not every death needs to be big and spectacular. Makes it more realistic this way.

GonzoTheGreat
12-18-2009, 03:35 AM
Graendal was not going to go down fighting anyway. If she had been directly confronted by Rand in the way that Rahvin, Sammael and Be'lal had been, then she would simply have gone to her knees and begged for her life. That wouldn't have been all that dramatic, would it?

Bonzi77
12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Both were discussed here (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2444), as soon as the book came out, and other places as well. Oddly enough, I agree with Isa on that one. And an RJ quote that makes a good comparison:

I agree with that. The only thing I would have done differently is perhaps had a moment where Graendal realized she was outsmarted right before she died. Like she's smirking to herself over how blunt and clumsy Al'Thor is and then she sees the light in the distance and realizes she's screwed.

Crispin's Crispian
12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Graendal was not going to go down fighting anyway. If she had been directly confronted by Rand in the way that Rahvin, Sammael and Be'lal had been, then she would simply have gone to her knees and begged for her life. That wouldn't have been all that dramatic, would it?

It didn't need to be dramatic or climactic, it just needed to make sense with the plans we thought were in place earlier. Up until MoL, she was meandering a bit and her main plot arc seemed to involve Ituralde. That was resolved when Rand showed up and gathered Ituralde to his flock.

But in the Prologue, Moridin gave what appeared to be pretty specific instructions to Graendal, so that our appetites were whetted for her to take responsibility for something big. Instead, she dies with no explanation and no apparent consequence.

It's not that her death wasn't dramatic enough, it's that her plot arc seems to be unfulfilled. There are two more books, though...

GonzoTheGreat
12-18-2009, 10:42 AM
She had been messing with Rand's attempts to put the place into order.
At the same time, her main tool for "something big" was Ituralde, who had made himself scarce and thus couldn't be reached.

And you can of course look at it this way: an unfullfilled plot arc ends in a high. Though it may be that's not how you meant this metaphor.

jason wolfbrother
12-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Or we will see the repercussions of her plot in ToM. And Rand will see just how far he fell.

Spasmodean
12-19-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm wondering if Ituralde still has some underlying compulsion we are yet to see.

Terez
12-19-2009, 01:11 PM
There's something in the signing reports that indicates that, yeah, Ituralde was Compelled, but the effectiveness of his Compulsion was tied up in his belief that his orders were coming from Alsalam. Now that he knows the truth, the Compulsion is gone.

Eilonwy
01-08-2010, 07:43 PM

As to (B) I am sure many have posted theories on this. She could have set the weave to dissipate after a short time. I do not know if this is possible and or if the Supergirl would know the difference.
Or Graendal could have had a Black Sister do the weave and ran. However, both of these random "theories" would require her knowing a trap was coming.

Which leaves us with my original point. After the all the time devoted to her, and even the portion of the Prologue devoted to her, it kinda sucks that she was killed off so quickly.

Yes, yes, I know it was an important step in Rand's downward spiral into darkness, and eventual rebound into the light, but it still seemed like Graendal was an actress who was fired for asking for too much money and the writers just decided to quickly kill her off camera.

I was also disappointed in her off-stage offing, honestly. While it was incredibly scary and borderline evil that Rand destroyed that building and everyone in it with BF like that, I'd been rather looking forward to a confrontation between Rand and Graendal and now I'll never see one. We had seen so much of her PoV recently that it seems like kind of a waste. On the other hand, there is a lot to do any only 2 more books to do it in. I can see why corners had to be cut.

GonzoTheGreat
01-09-2010, 04:15 AM
I was also disappointed in her off-stage offing, honestly. While it was incredibly scary and borderline evil that Rand destroyed that building and everyone in it with BF like that, I'd been rather looking forward to a confrontation between Rand and Graendal and now I'll never see one. We had seen so much of her PoV recently that it seems like kind of a waste. On the other hand, there is a lot to do any only 2 more books to do it in. I can see why corners had to be cut.And, of course, the kind of confrontation you'd been hoping for only happens in books. In real life, such fights are rarely settled in an interesting way; it is more likely that one of the parties dies in a stupid way off screen somewhere in a jungle or swamp.

So, while it may not have been wholly satisfactory, it was quite realistic.

Eilonwy
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I'd agree with that assessment. I think what would have made it better for me would have been a short scene from her PoV just before the BF hit. Her thinking about her plans or what she would do when Rand showed up and then....nothing. That may have given me more closure. :)

Terez
01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
There have been hints that there will be a Graendal point of view in the next book. Some think that means she is still alive; others think it will have more to do with the overlapping timelines. We saw Dumai's Wells from the Sevanna's point of view, and a bit of Gawyn's, at the beginning of A Crown of Swords, and we heard about the Cleansing from damn near everyone all through the first half of Crossroads, so it might be something similar to that (especially considering Rand's spying of Mat in Caemlyn and Perrin with Galad). Brandon really only said that there will be a point of view that sheds more light on the subject in the next book, but either way, I believe she is dead.

Davian93
01-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Off-screen Graendal killed and replaced Min...its intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

Wantanswers
03-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I have always doubted Graendal was dead. After rereading Nyn's acceptance(tGH, chapter 23)I'm almost sure she isn't. I think Graendal has gone to Aemon's Field and is or will become the Wisdom there, calling herself Malena Aylar.

nameless
03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
and then Wormtongue will stab her in the back and all the hobbits will rise up and drive her minions out of the Shire... er... Edmond's Field.

Sarcasm aside, the situation you describe is almost exactly the same as the ending of Lord of the Rings, and Jordan isn't a blatant rip-off artist, so I kind of doubt it will happen.

Wantanswers
03-02-2010, 11:55 PM
and then Wormtongue will stab her in the back and all the hobbits will rise up and drive her minions out of the Shire... er... Edmond's Field.

Sarcasm aside, the situation you describe is almost exactly the same as the ending of Lord of the Rings, and Jordan isn't a blatant rip-off artist, so I kind of doubt it will happen.

I didn't describe that action; RJ wrote it.

Terez
03-03-2010, 12:24 AM
The third time is for what will be. Not the second. ;)

FellKnight
03-03-2010, 02:26 AM

... but, but wantanswers is *sure*!

GonzoTheGreat
03-03-2010, 03:41 AM
The third time is for what will be. Not the second. ;)Yeah, but then: how good is Egwene at counting?

nameless
03-03-2010, 03:44 AM
I didn't describe that action; RJ wrote it.

Touche... although the version he wrote had Two Rivers folk tormented by some random petty tyrant. Having it turn out to be a major villain that everyone thought was already defeated makes it a lot more like the whole "Saruman come back for revenge" bit at the end of Return of the King.

Wantanswers
03-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Since when do we have to believe what an AS tells. Sheriam also told that you couldn't channel in the Acceptron, although Nyn did it. The things the AS know about the Acceptron were learned experimentally, so they can be right or wrong; or just a little bit right.
What was, what is and what will be.
Was Egw ever married with Rand, did she ever have a daughter and did she abandon both?
No, but she had a foreshadowing of a life that was.
Is Egw in Caemlinn, has the DO won?
No, she had a foreshadowing of a life that is.
Is Egw going to be Amyrlin. Yes.The rest we cannot proof yet; but there is a reason that we can believe this is a foreshadowing as well. In the Acceptron Egw met Beldeine being stilled by the BA. In tGS, chapter 48, Min had a vision about Beldeine:
For instance,the black knife that spun around Beldeine's head recently could mean anything.
Is it unreasonable to assume this means the same as Egw saw. And is it unreasonable to think:
She had a foreshadowing of a life that will be.

Luckers
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh the Hand

Both were discussed here, as soon as the book came out, and other places as well. Oddly enough, I agree with Isa on that one. And an RJ quote that makes a good comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Crossroads of Twilight Book Tour 18 January 2003 - Cambridge, MA

Q: Is Sammael dead?

RJ: Jordan responded that Sammael was dead as of the end of A Crown of Swords. Jordan felt that the character was a "louse" and didn't deserve a dramatic death ala Rahvin or Be'lal. He deserved a very vague death and was killed by something that he didn't pay attention to.

It is funny that you should make the connection between Sammael and Graendal given RJ stated that Sammael was toast, and Brandon directly refused to give the 'toast' comment in relation to Graendal.

Question from Arsolos: It has been reported that you have confirmed that Sammael died at the end of A Crown of Swords. Could you confirm that you have said this and elaborate on whether Rand was correct?

Robert Jordan: Mashadar killed Sammael. Sammael is toast!

Question: There is a character in the book that appears to die on page 574... [Lucker’s comment: Graendal]. Did this character actually die?

Answer: Let’s go on record with this, I am not going to say until after Towers of Midnight, but I will…they are looking for a “toast” comment, and I am not going to give the “toast” comment yet. The scene that I’m talking about, there will be things related to it in the next book, so I don’t want to say yet. Corner me after Towers of Midnight and I will give you a definitive answer, but Towers of Midnight may in itself give a definitive answer.

Not that I necessarily think Graendal is alive, I just found the correlation interesting.

Casabamelon
03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Not that I necessarily think Graendal is alive, I just found the correlation interesting.

This whole thing would be simpler if he just said "RAFO". RJ figured out a long time ago that takes out most of the semantic wiggle room.
________
Masturbation Lesbian (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/753/lesbian/videos/1)

Ishara
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I've just found it to be quite interesting that everyone accepted Sammael's death, despite the vagueness of it all, but have a hard time accepting that Graedal could be dead. Bitch was zapped by balefire. No way is she still alive. ~crosses arms~

GonzoTheGreat
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Rand was also zapped by balefire, but he got over it. Of course, he had a Cairhienin Blue helping him at the time ...

Ishara
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Now that's just misrepreenting the facts. :p

Terez
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
It is funny that you should make the connection between Sammael and Graendal given RJ stated that Sammael was toast, and Brandon directly refused to give the 'toast' comment in relation to Graendal.

Not sure what your point is. Brandon wants to keep us in the dark; RJ didn't.

Terez
03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Since when do we have to believe what an AS tells.
Is that supposed to be a question? Anyway, Egwene's spying of the future came in the third time. For what will be. Like I said. Nynaeve's spying of Sharina came in the third time also. For what will be. Your theory is dumb; get over it.

Wantanswers
03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Is that supposed to be a question? Anyway, Egwene's spying of the future came in the third time. For what will be. Like I said. Nynaeve's spying of Sharina came in the third time also. For what will be. Your theory is dumb; get over it.

Not as thumb as your reaction. You didn't even think about it. Egwene should have had a child with Rand if she had stayed in Aemon's Field, Rhand should have died because of the taint on saidin and Egwene should have become a wilder or she would have died as well.
Try to think in a different way as you are used to.

Terez
03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Not as thumb as your reaction. You didn't even think about it.
You're talking to the person that wrote the Great Purge theory, you know. I investigated both of the Accepted tests thoroughly, so quit being dumb and assuming that people who have been at this for years 'didn't even think about it'. Only the third run in the test has any relevant prophetic value.

nameless
03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Not as thumb as your reaction. You didn't even think about it. Egwene should have had a child with Rand if she had stayed in Aemon's Field, Rhand should have died because of the taint on saidin and Egwene should have become a wilder or she would have died as well.
Try to think in a different way as you are used to.

Ah, sweet irony... how did you even manage that typo? The "d" and "th" keys are nowhere near each other.
In Nynaeve's Acceptance Malena Aylar replaced her as Wisdom. In the real world Daise Congar replaced her. In the Acceptance Edmond's Field was harried by a bully with Munchausen's syndrome by proxy. In the real world the whole Two Rivers was harried by Trollocs and Whitecloaks.

We're not going to suddenly discover that while our heroes were out in the big wide world someone snuck into their home and terrorized the villagers, because that already happened. Perrin rescued them. Having it happen again would be redundant, and boring, and a flagrant LotR ripoff to boot.

Terez
03-03-2010, 07:33 PM
...how did you even manage that typo? The "d" and "th" keys are nowhere near each other.
Dvorak keyboard? (http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/) ;)

GonzoTheGreat
03-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Besides, Demandred is already camping out in Cenn Buie's cellar. He wouldn't tolerate Graendal in his hidey hole.

Ishara
03-04-2010, 07:50 AM
So he and Cenn's turnips are ready for war, are they?

GonzoTheGreat
03-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Let's not speculate on what he does with those turnips, shall we? Might make you lose your appetite. Or not, of course.

yamezt
05-25-2010, 09:31 AM
She could have linked with a slave channeller to put the weaves. If the slave channeler is balefired, the weaves would still have dissipated presumably

Sei'taer
05-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Hi Hugh!

uhhhh...(what were we talking about???? Oh yeah) Graendal is dead.