PDA

View Full Version : Torch, what's it mean

wolframbohr2
12-15-2009, 11:15 AM
the map tht is before chapter 1 of the EotW has a torch as one of the symbles. What does it mean? The rest of the symbles I can figure out. But the torch makes no sence. Yes, it has the flame of TV at the top. But the rest of the symbles the entire symble is used. Here it would just be the flame part, and not the torch holder thingy itself.

The only thing I can think of is that when you turn it upside down it looks like a white tower. Could it mean that the tower will be turned upside down?( broken)

The other thing I noticed, is that on that map and the prededing world map, There are symbles for the 3 boys. But Perrin is missing from the world and Mat is missing from the TR one. Is something up with this?

I find it quite ammusing that the Dragonfang forms the belly of the dragon.

Yuri33
12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Why is this in the TGS forum?

wolframbohr2
12-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Dont want to spoil anything if the answere is a spoiler.

Spasmodean
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Dont want to spoil anything if the answere is a spoiler.

If anything it's an EoTW spoiler though?

Ieyasu
12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
If anything it's an EoTW spoiler though?

I think he is worried that the answer to the meaning of these symbols could be from TGS, thus it would be a spoiler in another forum.

wolframbohr2
12-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I think he is worried that the answer to the meaning of these symbols could be from TGS, thus it would be a spoiler in another forum.

exactly. For example, take a look at the bottem of that map. You have a sword with leaves on it, the tinker with a sword. It is pointing at the wolves, a reperesentation of Perrin. The end up fighting, but in KoD, a long way from EotW.

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Damn you, now I have to go back and look at all the symbols again. :p

I like the upside down tower thing. I have to check it out tonight.

Daekyras
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
the map tht is before chapter 1 of the EotW has a torch as one of the symbles.

I have never seen these symbols. Sounds interesting. What version of tEotW do you have?

I have the black cover european books here in the office but they don't have symbols. I have an original european set at home, paperback, just wondering where I can see these symbols.

lsm
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I have never seen these symbols. Sounds interesting. What version of tEotW do you have?

I have the black cover european books here in the office but they don't have symbols. I have an original european set at home, paperback, just wondering where I can see these symbols.

it's on the two river maps at the start of the book.

well seeing how there's a dragon symbol, a wolf symbol, maybe the torch is mat's? something to do with the light of the world?

wolframbohr2
12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
The top of the torch is the AS flame and seeing how much Mat "loves" AS I doubt that. I was figureing that Mat is missing from this map, just like Perrin is missing from teh world map, but Mat is there via the HoV.

The other question is, why two swords with leaves? The one poiting at the wolves can represent Aram and Perrin fighting. But what about the other one at the top? Is there going to be an other tinker with the sword? Can it mean someting else? Since it is pointing at the Dragon, could it mean Aram "fighting" the Dragon, via listening to the Prophet?

If it connected to Mat, is there a way for it to be connected to ToG? The torch does "point" towards a cloaked woman, that I am "assuming" is Moraine. Although it could be Faile since it is following the wolves.

Oh, and yes, the symbles are the ones on the Two Rivers Map and the World map. The world map ones are easy to get, but this frickin torch has been buggin me.

Daekyras
12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
it's on the two river maps at the start of the book.

well seeing how there's a dragon symbol, a wolf symbol, maybe the torch is mat's? something to do with the light of the world?

I literally have the black cover book in my hand and no such symbols. Damn paperbacks!

lsm
12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
i have the paperback too but its the blue cover

although the map and symbols can be seen here:

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/File:Tworivers.png

Anaiya Sedai
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I have maps in my european paperback... I think (without looking) they are either before the prologue or before the first chapter, or both...

Daekyras
12-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I have maps in my european paperback... I think (without looking) they are either before the prologue or before the first chapter, or both...

Oh, the maps are there just not the symbols. I'll check the original when I finally get home.

Thanks Ism, thats really helpful :)

wolframbohr2
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
The map Isam put up as a link is the one in my book. I did a check and the rest of the maps in the book, except for the Randland map has those same symbles. And I am looking at the blue cover paperback atm.

Weird Harold
12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
In the TOR paperback editions, there are two maps between the prologue and chapter one.

http://www.wotmud.org/directory/maps.php has scanned GIF format copies of all of the maps from all of the books.

The two maps in question:

http://www.wotmud.org/directory/maps/tworivers.gif

http://www.wotmud.org/directory/maps/mainmap.jpg

I personally don't think the symbols on either map have any particular signifigance in either selection or positioning. I especially don't think they're foreshadowing of anything because they weren't drawn by RJ -- they are by John M. Ford and Thomas Canty.

wolframbohr2
12-15-2009, 04:39 PM
True, RJ did not draw them, but the information had to come from him. I doubt the HoV on the Randland map was just something that was added cause it looked pretty.

Weird Harold
12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
True, RJ did not draw them, but the information had to come from him. I doubt the HoV on the Randland map was just something that was added cause it looked pretty.
True, TOR or RJ specified certain elements -- like the "Forgotten Sign" and the snake and wheel WOT Logo -- but I doubt that the sword run through the HoV has any signifigance or foreshadows anything.

wolframbohr2
12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
The sword running through the HoV can signify the Dragon being bound to the HoV.

Kurtz
12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Why is this in the TGS forum?

Everything should be in here now.

Terez
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM
It might have something to do with the Trollocs torching the Two Rivers. It's probably not anything especially significant.

Yuri33
12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Everything should be in here now.

Then the forum should be renamed.

Terez
12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
It's traditional for WoT discussion to move to the forum for the new book, when the book comes out, and for all discussions to be started here on the off-chance that they will eventually touch on things from the new book (which is generally convenient for everyone since so few members fail to read the book within a few weeks of its release). The General forum is only kept open for those who for some reason have not read the book yet, if they want to ask questions or start discussions. That makes for a pretty dead General forum usually, since nearly everyone has read the book, but Tam prefers to keep the forums separate until the paperback comes out, usually.

I've noticed that it's the same at Malazan. They have separate forums for each book in the series, but the forum for the new book is where all of the regular members post. The forums for previous books are used as places for noobs to ask questions as they read, without spoilers beyond whatever book they are on.