PDA

View Full Version : Alviarin's letter

Terez
12-21-2009, 06:29 PM
So, Alviarin was a big red herring for the Great Purge, and Verin came in to steal her glory. One of the biggest things pointing to Alviarin being nabbed (besides the fact that she knew the name of every Black Ajah member, and was ordered by Shaidar Haran to hunt the Hunters, and she already had her sights on Yukiri and Doesine) was Alviarin's letter to Rand, which he received in book 5. Egwene knew of the letter, and Rand has believed ever since (even after Dumai's Wells) that he has a secret faction in the Tower that is devoted to him, and scared to come out without his protection. Egwene thought, as she talked to Alviarin in Knife of Dreams, that the knowledge about the letter was the sort of thing that could only be used once. She didn't use it to nab the Black Ajah.....can she use it in her prophesied confrontation with Rand?

A top candidate (the first one I thought of) for the destination of the Black Ajah members that escaped is the Black Tower.

In Egwene's Accepted test, the Great Purge was foreshadowed. Was something else foreshadowed as well?

The first time through the rings is for what was, the second time for what is, and the third for what will be. All three of Egwene's trips through had to do with Rand. It wasn't until the third time that the reaction between the stone ring ter'angreal and the testing ter'angreal became more than barely noticeable. "It came back a thousandfold. Ten thousand. The ter'angreal almost seemed to be trying to shut off the flow from saidar – or melt itself through the floor."

The third time through is where we have the most interesting references to the future. The Great Purge. The fact that Egwene would be Amyrlin. The fact that she would become Amyrlin without taking the Oaths. That Elaida would be Amyrlin as well (though in the testing, she took the Seat from Egwene, rather than Egwene taking it from her). That Elaida would try to harm Rand. Egwene thought of balefire, which she had not yet come to know in the real world.

Egwene has already dealt with Elaida, but she has only half-dealt with the Black Ajah, and one of her last thoughts in The Gathering Storm was that she would find Alviarin:

TITLE - The Gathering Storm
EPILOGUE - Bathed in Light

Egwene set aside the report. Knowledge of those who had escaped still chewed at her. She had known the names of sixty Darkfriends, and they had escaped her grasp. That number reached to eighty if she included those who had escaped from the rebel camp.

I will find you, Alviarin, Egwene thought, tapping the sheet with her finger. I will find you all. You were a rot within the Tower itself. The worst kind of rot. I will not let you spread it.
Egwene said that the Tower did not have the resources to attempt to rescue those who were captured by the Seanchan, so it seems doubtful that she would try to attack the Black Tower....unless she had help.

One thing that I found interesting is that Alviarin was present at Egwene's testing, and she was introduced in a nice context, too:

TITLE - The Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 23 - Sealed

"Aes Sedai," Egwene said slowly, "what does it mean to be Green Ajah?" Sheriam's eyes opened wider with amusement, and Alanna grinned openly.

"Just with the ring on your finger," the Green sister said, "and already trying to decide which Ajah to choose? First, you must love men. I don't mean be in love with them, but love them. Not like a Blue, who merely likes men, so long as they share her causes and do not get in her way. And certainly not like a Red, who despises them as if every one of them were responsible for the Breaking." Alviarin, the White sister who had come with the Amyrlin gave them a cool look and moved on. "And not like a White," Alanna said with a laugh, "who has no room in her life for any passions at all."

"That was not what I meant, Alanna Sedai. I want to know what it means to be a Green sister." She was not sure Alanna would understand, because she was not certain she herself understood what she wanted to know, but Alanna nodded slowly as if she did.

"Browns seek knowledge, Blues meddle in causes, and Whites consider the questions of truth with implacable logic. We all do some of it all, of course. But to be a Green means to stand ready." A note of pride entered Alanna's voice. "In the Trolloc Wars, we were often called the Battle Ajah. All Aes Sedai helped where and when they could, but the Green Ajah alone was always with the armies, in almost every battle. We were the counter to the Dreadlords. The Battle Ajah. And now we stand ready, for the Trollocs to come south again, for Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle. We will be there. That is what it means to be a Green."

"Thank you, Aes Sedai," Egwene said. That is what I want? Or what I will be? Light, I wish I knew if it was real, if it had anything at all to do with here and now.
Is there anything in Verin's book about the reaction between the two ter'angreal? Did Verin know that something like that would happen? Will Egwene learn more in the book about the plans of the Black Ajah? Will they try to turn Rand to the Shadow? Before this book, I didn't really see Egwene getting involved in the Black Tower battle, but it's starting to look likely.

reTaardad
12-21-2009, 07:26 PM
You know, despite having read tDR a thousand times, I've never thought about the fact that the dream ter'angreal was the thing creating the disruption with the Accepted test.

As for Alviarin's letter, it seems like the most obvious source of Rand's belief in a faction devoted to him. On the other hand, why would such a ridiculous thing as Alviarin's letter convince him? After being schooled in the Great Game by Moiraine (and deciphering Alliandre's letter), Rand should have seen that Alviarin's letter was an appeal to an ignorant shepherd.

In regard to the missing Black Ajah members, I think that they'll all gather somewhere in preparation of the Last Battle. The known members from Verin's book have been marked out, so they're being hunted most likely.

Ieyasu
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
You know, despite having read tDR a thousand times, I've never thought about the fact that the dream ter'angreal was the thing creating the disruption with the Accepted test.

o.O
really? How could you read it and never think about the fact that the dream ter'angreal was involved? Egwene herself thinks about it on page...

@Terez

I keep thinking more and more about Mat getting involved in the impending Black Tower conflict.

I do not think Egwene will be allowed to leaving the White Tower to deal with anything at all any time soon.

Yuri33
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I didn't really see Egwene getting involved in the Black Tower battle, but it's starting to look likely.

I don't know about "likely."

She's more likely to focus on reintegrating the WT and re-establishing diplomatic relations with Rand than chasing Alvairin to the BT, especially since she knows all about Elaida's disaster with the 51 AS. She needs to investigate the disappearance of the AS sent to the BT to bond Warders, but I'm not sure that entails being involved in the BT battle. She's lost enough AS to the BT already.

Then again, I'm one of those not convinced that a huge battle in Caemlyn is looming...

Terez
12-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I keep thinking more and more about Mat getting involved in the impending Black Tower conflict.
I doubt it - everything points to him still being at Ghenjei then.

I do not think Egwene will be allowed to leaving the White Tower to deal with anything at all any time soon.
Pssh, I bet she'll declare war on the Dark One or something soon enough.

She's more likely to focus on reintegrating the WT and re-establishing diplomatic relations with Rand than chasing Alvairin to the BT
pssssh, her establishing diplomatic relations thing is tied into Alviarin, for one, and for another, she hasn't got anything else to do that's important.

especially since she knows all about Elaida's disaster with the 51 AS
Elaida lost those Aes Sedai because she was stupid. Egwene would have to join forces with Rand in order to have any real hope of defeating Taim and Alviarin, but I can see that happening. Especially considering Elaida's Foretelling:

TITLE - A Crown of Swords
PROLOGUE - Lightnings

Suddenly the Foretelling took hold of her, a certainty about things she could not see stronger than if they had been laid out before her. She would have been willing to step blindly over a cliff on that certainty. "The White Tower will be whole again, except for remnants cast out and scorned, whole and stronger than ever. Rand al’Thor will face the Amyrlin Seat and know her anger. The Black Tower will be rent in blood and fire, and sisters will walk its grounds. This I Foretell."
I think those things will happen in that order. Part one is done. Part two has been foretold elsewhere. Part three will not happen until Rand and Egwene have had their confrontation (even though sisters have already walked its grounds).

Yuri33
12-21-2009, 10:15 PM
she hasn't got anything else to do that's important.

Sure she does, like installing a new rose-colored window in the Hall of the Sitters :)

Plus, there's going over Elaida's notes and stuff, smoking out Mesaana, etc.

Either way, at the end of TGS Egwene isn't really thinking about Rand and stuff yet:

TGS, Epilogue:
For now, she had her hands full. She shook her head, turning over the pages of Silviana's report. The woman was proving to be an effective Keeper indeed, far more skilled than Sheriam had ever been. The loyalist women respected Silviana, and the Red Ajah seemed to have accepted—at least in part—Egwene's offer of peace in choosing one of their own as her Keeper.

I think those things will happen in that order. Part one is done. Part two has been foretold elsewhere. Part three will not happen until Rand and Egwene have had their confrontation (even though sisters have already walked its grounds).

You just showed that things don't have to happen in order.

wolframbohr2
12-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Unless Egwene is not the real Amrylin. Cadsuane could be, but it is sealed in the secret histories and can not be revealed. She could be part of a secret government that runs the world in secret unknown to even the leaders that are around. Rand has known her anger plenty before sisters walked the BT.

Terez
12-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Plus, there's going over Elaida's notes and stuff, smoking out Mesaana, etc.
Mesaana is important, but I think that she will tie into the Black Tower (she is allied with Demandred after all).

You just showed that things don't have to happen in order.
I didn't say it had to happen in order - just that I thought it would.

Yuri33
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I didn't say it had to happen in order - just that I thought it would.

And yet it's been proven that this particular prophecy has elements have occurred out of order, so thinking the rest will occur in order is of course speculation.

Marie Curie 7
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Is there anything in Verin's book about the reaction between the two ter'angreal? Did Verin know that something like that would happen? Will Egwene learn more in the book about the plans of the Black Ajah? Will they try to turn Rand to the Shadow? Before this book, I didn't really see Egwene getting involved in the Black Tower battle, but it's starting to look likely.

It seems to me that the biggest thing pointing to Egwene becoming involved with the Black Tower is the sisters who went there to bond Asha'man and are now missing. I can't imagine Egwene ignoring that for long, especially since some of them are sisters who swore fealty to Egwene.

And even though Tsutama is probably the only one who knows where Tarna and the other Reds went, I imagine Tsutama will also want to find out what happened to the Reds, especially given the current state of the Red Ajah.

Spasmodean
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I liked Tsutama, just the right blend of psycho :)