PDA

View Full Version : Rand's Nausea before channeling brandon's detail?

forzainternl
12-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I was re-listening to the Semirhage binding Rand scene (with the Domination band) on the audio book of the Gathering storm. And I noticed this fact that before channeling saidin the following quote:
Rand seized saidin, not of his choice but of hers, the roar of power slammed into him bringing with him the strange nausea that he had never been able to explain. He fell to his hand and knees emptying his stomach with a groan as the room shook and spun around him. "How odd..." he heard Semirhage say.

This is the Brandon quote hinting to an important detail overlooked by fans, I took this from dragonmount.com forums:

"1. Question: You had a quote that we all talked about just recently, that there is a small detail with this secret thing. There were two quotes we put together where you told somebody from Chicago where you say this detail first comes out between books 4-6. Is that verified?

1. Answer: Itís been going for a long time. Somewhere in four and six the first hints of it are mentioned.

2. Question: But thatís not the only time itís ever mentioned?

2. Answer: Itís not the only time itís ever mentioned. It isÖhints about this hidden thing appear in pretty muchÖin several of the books. It first, somewhere in one of those three is the beginning of where it shows up. The first hint that you get. [Ö] I mean, itís a small thing that means something large, that sort of thingÖand you guys are very good at finding things and Iím not going to say whether you hit it or not."

ē I asked a follow up question about the big clue in books 4-6, asking if the clue became more relevant due to events in the later books, and he said that it didn't, and that it's something we should have picked up on when it appeared. He also issued a caveat (that is basically common sense) that it is possible someone discussed this issue at some point on one of the boards and that he didn't see that, but that he has never seen it raised in his lurkings, and that this issue is more important than who killed you-know-who.
ē Brandon is concerned about the HCFF's digging and digging for the surprise in books 4-6 and ruining it for TOM. Also, he stated he never read anyone discussing it but it is possible someone has. Also, it is some puzzle that should have been looked at when it was first revealed. It's bigger than who killed Asmodean, according to Brandon. [Luckers Note: This seems to confirm that it will be revealed in ToM]

I think this nausea also started at some point between books 4-6... and not before...not sure how solid this is... I must admit I don't have any of the books on me except the audiobook, since I am on holiday but yeh wanted to say this before i forgot it. So, if someone could kindly look this up...

I think the first answer supports this idea that the nausea could be the detail. The fact that Brandon says "it's been going on for a long time", which from what I recall from when he starts going mad about book 4 (see above), he starts talking about nausea when channeling. This goes on till gathering storm as from the quote above. The fact that Brandon uses the words "first hints of it are mentioned" in book 4-6 adds to this since, at the beginning from what I recall the sick feeling Rand gets is just a "hint", which grows with his madness throughout the series...

Brandon's second answer I think this is crucial in supporting my thesis: "hints about this hidden thing appear in pretty muchÖin several of the books. It first, somewhere in one of those three is the beginning of where it shows up. The first hint that you get". If I make the subject of the answer nausea, it totally makes sense (even though maybe madness could be substituted with this though it should go away after the final rand scene in TGS): 'hints of nausea appear in pretty much...in several of the books. It first, somewhere in one of those three is the beginning of where it shows up. The first hint that you get'. I guess this must be a weak argument but it does in effect make sense with the nausea.

Looking at the quote from Brandon I am not sure what else I could write about this. And I am not sure exactly how "It's bigger than who killed Asmodean, according to Brandon. " But I just wanted to throw my guess out there.

My only random thoughts that could be that this nausea might be related to the ta'varen (forgot how to spell that) being all far way... him being far away from his half-brother Galad (which will be crucial in someway)...something to do with Fain...My only other theory is that it could be an object in the room where Fain looks for the Horn and meets Alviarin in the white tower...

I hope you guys have some positive thoughts on this theory. Merry Christmas!

Yuri33
12-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Nausea started after Rand and Moridin crossed balefire streams, which was in book 7. So no, the nausea is not the "missed detail."

Plus the nausea has been discussed ad nauseum...

Terez
12-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Nausea started after Rand and Moridin crossed balefire streams, which was in book 7.
And it was at the end of book 7, so we didn't see the nausea till book 8.

forzainternl
12-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Alrighty my bad! :)

GonzoTheGreat
12-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Perhaps it is the little detail to which I've been trying to draw everyone's attention since just about forever: that rather dodgy soup a couple of Maidens keep feeding to Rand. As far as I can determine, it starts in book 5:
He stiffened. Of all the Maidens who treated him as a long-lost son of ten, she had chosen the three worst. Lamelle even brought him soup – the woman could not cook a lick, but she insisted on making him soup! "You bring whoever you wish," he told her in a tight, flat voice, "but I am the Car'a'carn, and I amgoing into the city." With luck, he could find his clothes before she returned. Somara was nearly as tall as he, and, at the moment, probably stronger. The One Power certainly would do him no good; he could not have embraced saidinif Sammael appeared in front of him, much less held onto it.And, even though I'd been hammering at this particular detail since before the TEOTW even appeared (or so it seems at times), I have to admit that I had overlooked the rather suggestive title of the chapter in which the soup is first introduced.