PDA

View Full Version : From Twitter

Terez
12-26-2009, 09:36 PM
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Mistborn?v=feed&story_fbid=216807882622&ref=mf

At my mother's house in Idaho Falls working on #TofM. Scene is going well, but more and more, I feel this book will take more time.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Mistborn?v=feed&story_fbid=219342486948&ref=mf

Two things are slowing me. First, I feel #TofM will need to be longer than TGS. Second, a major plotline needs an overhaul.

kivo
12-27-2009, 12:31 AM
I hope he takes as long as he needs to make it as good as tGS, which in my opinion is one of the best books in the entire series.

Yuri33
12-27-2009, 02:16 AM
At least we have one guarantee:

Stormleader Report #10 (http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=1021)

Q: So…Memory of Light was supposed to be book 12 and the last book…will you split them up again?

[Brandon, to the wide smiles of all who heard, said definitively]
BS: Fourteen is it!

GonzoTheGreat
12-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Well, RJ frequently said "at least three more books".
Looks like BS is starting to come around to upholding that tradition.

Tercel
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
On the one hand, I love the WoT series, and so if BS decides to split Towers of Midnight up into two books, thereby giving us even more WoT books, that would be great.

On the other hand, it creates a danger of getting another "Crossroads of Twilight" type book where nothing happens in the book, and minor plots muck round for ages and nothing is resolved.

If the book does need to be split, I hope BS does what he did in tGS: Chooses a couple of plotlines to focus on and majorly advances them in each of the split books. Because the mistake RJ made in CoT was to try to advance all the plotlines just a little bit... and that was a big fail.

Crispin's Crispian
01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Maybe I should start reading GRRM. I was waiting until he finished the series, but geez...I'll be 34 next month and I'd like to finish both this and WoT someday.

Daekyras
01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Maybe I should start reading GRRM. I was waiting until he finished the series, but geez...I'll be 34 next month and I'd like to finish both this and WoT someday.

I've had A Game Of Thrones on my "to do" list for about 4 years....My wife has read them and loves them but I always seem to put it off...the book is actually sitting beside my bed but something else always gets my attention.

Anyone know if they're worth it?

Ieyasu
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
I've had A Game Of Thrones on my "to do" list for about 4 years....My wife has read them and loves them but I always seem to put it off...the book is actually sitting beside my bed but something else always gets my attention.

This is, of course, subjective, but I enjoyed the beginning of the series... but it peters out and weakens... while I have decided it is isn't big pile of garbage as Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series... almost... but nothing can be as large and steamingly rancid as Terry Goodkind.

so no, I do not think it is worth it.

Bonzi77
01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
This is, of course, subjective, but I enjoyed the beginning of the series... but it peters out and weakens... while I have decided it is isn't big pile of garbage as Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series... almost... but nothing can be as large and steamingly rancid as Terry Goodkind.

I disagree. The last book is not as good as the first three, but the first three are as good as anything I"ve ever read, and the third is still what I would call "good". The problem is that GRRM seems completely unmotivated to finish the latest book. It was rumored to be close to done in late 2006 and now there's still no end in site. And he's been going 5 years between volumes anyway, so you're looking at another 10-15 years for the series to end.

But it's my second favorite fantasy series, and it's close.

EDIT: I do agree that Terry Goodkind is unfiltered crap.

creepybob
01-04-2010, 06:34 PM

All I can say is this: I HATE George R. R. Martin.

Because the books are brutal, tragic, the people I like die and suffer and fail and fall. But the biggest reason I hate that man is: In spite of all this horror, I'm mesmerized. I can't stop reading this doom, gloom, death, and destruction, I must have more.

GRRM will turn you into a masochist, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

edit: Honestly, you will read GRRM eventually because he took mainstream, popular fantasy away from the epic struggle or the polished wish fulfillment common over the last decade, and brought it back down to earth. GRRM says that magic, if real, won't save you, won't change your life for the better, won't prevent war or cure disease, and, most importantly, won't change human nature.

RJ's work is pretty optomistic, and his tragic story arcs are rare. There's a hope throughout the series that things'll work out in the end. Martin doesn't even let you keep that hope alive. At least he didn't for me.

Hugh the Hand
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Who has some good suggestions for other series? Obviously I loved WoT
also fan of Death Gate Cycle, half the eddings books, since the other half is the same, the guardian of the flame series.

Suggestions?

Obviously this might be the wrong spot for this, but since the topic came up.

Calharn
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I'd say mistborn series is great.

I'm trying the Malazan book of the fallen series now. Bit slow through the first part of book 1 though haha. I just went on amazon to try and find new books to buy time for BS to finish the next book.

Daekyras
01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
also fan of Death Gate Cycle, half the eddings books, since the other half is the same, the guardian of the flame series.

Suggestions?

I highly recommend Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. An excellent series and the first book (the dragonbone chair) is one of my favourites.

Malazan is also very good.

dukescott
01-05-2010, 01:14 AM

GRRM series is excellent but it is extremely annoying that he isn't moving it along.

TG is total crap.

There is an excellent series called Chung Kuo by David Wingrove. Very difficult to get your hands on. It is SciFi.

I also enjoy LE Modestt. Both the Corean series and the Recluce books.

And there is always Ringworld. Love the Larry Nivan.

Terez
01-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Stop being a drama queen. If they decide to split it one more book (which I doubt - they probably should, but they probably won't), we'll still get the conclusion of WoT in 3 more years. I agree with Tercel - more books=better. I doubt there will be another Crossroads-type book even if they split it further.

Davian93
01-05-2010, 07:57 AM

They are absolutely brilliant and awesome books...however, GRRM will likely never finish the series so its somethign to be very wary about starting. I remember reading Game of Thrones when it first came out (it had a great endorsement from RJ on the back cover) and I thought it was wonderful.

They're very dark though...nothing like WoT.

Davian93
01-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I really hope he doesn't split the book. I'd be okay with a larger than normal ToM (say as big as FoH or tSR). I dont want another 3 books.

Bonzi77
01-05-2010, 08:14 AM
I don't think he was hinting at splitting the book. I think he was just bracing us for the possibility that it might not be out by November. tGS was long, but it wasn't impossibly long. ToM could be 75,000-100,000 words longer and still fit in one volume. It would be huge, but it would fit.

WinespringBrother
01-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Suggestions?

I just read Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey, which was pretty good (pt 1 of a 2 part series).

One Armed Gimp
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
More books would most likely piss me off. But I agree that he is probably hinting more at the book not being released on time than splitting them again.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Endorsing:

Slow reads, lots of paying attention required :p
Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson (book 1=Gardens of the Moon) Hard to explain. Lots of good v. evil battles and magic, demons, heroes and villians that are not the "normal" stuff.

Medium reads
A Song of Ice and Fire, George RR Martin (book 1 - A Game of Thrones) kings, queens, dragons, magic and unexplained dead things.

Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay (book 1=The Summer Tree) historical ties to fantasy series. I loved this series.

Fast reads
Rachel Morgan books - by Kim Harrison (book 1 = Dead Witch Walking) Witches, weres, vamps, etc

Sookie Stackhouse books - Charlaine Harris (book 1 = Dead Until Dark) vamps, weres, witches. VERY quick reads

Temeraire books - by Naomi Novik (book 1 = His Majesty's Dragon) Alternate history of the Napoleonic wars...with Dragons. The first couple books are ok, I started feeling like the same 'ol same 'ol rehash after a while though.

reTaardad
01-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I must say that WoT is the only fantasy that I've ever enjoyed enough to read through an entire book. I even put down LotR when I was two-thirds through the first book; fantasy normally just doesn't do it for me. I guess I just found a niche with RJ.

Crispin's Crispian
01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Stop being a drama queen. If they decide to split it one more book (which I doubt - they probably should, but they probably won't), we'll still get the conclusion of WoT in 3 more years. I agree with Tercel - more books=better. I doubt there will be another Crossroads-type book even if they split it further.

LOL

That's funny, because I totally don't give a shit anymore. I was being dramatic more for the sake of being dramatic than for actually worrying that I might hit 40 before it's done.

Anyway, I'm not at all worried about a Crossroads book--that wasnt' me. I'm sure BS will keep up the pace and plot advancement--I honestly think that's why he might need another book.

Rahvin571
01-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Here are a couple other good reads I've come across:

- The Black Company
This series is very different than WoT or GRRM. It focuses on an elite band of mercenaries that end up getting in over their heads. The writing is excellent and the PoV is not from the direct, major powers in the world, but from the guys on the front line.

- The Lies of Locke Lamora
A clever series about a small gang of thieves who pull off high-scale heists through elaborate schemes.

- The Name of the Wind
Absolutely amazing book. This book is about a self-imposed exile named Kvothe who has committed all sorts of impressive acts. The first book talks about his early past. Wind is truly a great book - Patrick Rothfuss has done a better job with this than in almost any other book I've read

Terez
01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I was being dramatic more for the sake of being dramatic
I know; that's why I told you to stop being a drama queen. ;)

I'm not at all worried about a Crossroads book--that wasnt' me.
Yes dear...that comment was a qualifier for my agreement with TerceI. :rolleyes:

One Armed Gimp
01-08-2010, 07:07 AM
- The Name of the Wind
Absolutely amazing book. This book is about a self-imposed exile named Kvothe who has committed all sorts of impressive acts. The first book talks about his early past. Wind is truly a great book - Patrick Rothfuss has done a better job with this than in almost any other book I've read

I got that book for my birthday, haven't read it yet though. Got 1.5 books ahead of it.

Crispin's Crispian
01-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I know; that's why I told you to stop being a drama queen. ;)

Yes dear...that comment was a qualifier for my agreement with TerceI. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Clear as mud.

Terez
01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I do try. :)

dominominic
01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
David Farland's books have one of the best "magic" systems(and some of the most brutal battle scenes based on it) I've ever read, although outside of that the story is a bit thin...

Terez
01-13-2010, 04:43 AM
More:

This book needs to be at least as good as TGS, if not better. Either way, it's probably going to be longer--consider yourself warned.

Though it's not really new info. Some clarification:

Q: Why has the TofM progress bar been stuck at the same number for so long? A: Been doing revisions. Plan to do a blog post soon.

Problem: I want the book to work on its own, and not feel like "All of the stuf that didn't go in TGS thrown together."