PDA

View Full Version : Rand's angreal as the small detail?

nameless
12-27-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure it's important enough to qualify, but could the male-attuned angeal that dissappeared around Dumai's Wells the small detail Brandon mentioned? It seems unlikely and of the Aes Sedai would know or care enough to take it, which means that it's probably currently in the possession of Mazrim Taim or one of his followers. Whoever has it obviously isn't loyal to Rand or else they would have given it back to him by now.

GonzoTheGreat
12-28-2009, 03:40 AM
It has been considered (I think that I raised the possibility earlier on), but it is unlikely, since this has been mentioned less and less. Based on what we've heard, I got the impression that the detail was something that came back fairly often, relatively speaking.

Terez
12-28-2009, 04:20 AM
The detail must fit these criteria:

1. Was first introduced somewhere in 4-6 (or just 4 and 6, according to Tam).
2. Has been mentioned in 'books and books' since.
3. Is comparable to Vin's earring.
4. Is head-slappingly obvious, and we should have been discussing it for years.
5. Can come into play in Towers of Midnight.
6. Is bigger than 'Who killed Asmodean?'
7. Hasn't been discussed much on the fan sites.
8. Is a small thing that means something large.

Fat man angreal:

1. Yeah - Rand got it in 4, lost it in 6. However, we didn't know that Rand lost it until book 7 chapter 7.

2. It hasn't been mentioned since book 7 chapter 7.

3. Not really. We know what the fat man does; it's no big mystery the implications of which we only just now understood, or previously understood and Brandon missed it....unless I'm missing something.

4. Not really. So far as I can tell, we've discussed it about as much as it's worth. Rand lost it - maybe it ended up with Taim or one of the Forsaken.

5. This could happen if said person who stole it shows up to fight Rand when he doesn't have Callandor.

6. What isn't?

7. See 4.

8. Got any ideas about what it could mean?

All the relevant quotes are in the miscellaneous section of the interview database.

wolframbohr2
12-28-2009, 04:50 AM
I thought it is gospel fact that its Mat's hat?

GonzoTheGreat
12-28-2009, 05:03 AM
I thought it is gospel fact that its Mat's hat?Sort of. That's Terez' idea, and sometimes it is hard to tell the two apart.

Me, I prefer the Maiden's soup that Rand keeps having to eat, though I suspect that Terez is correct.

Terez
12-28-2009, 05:15 AM
I suspect that Terez is correct.
I suspect that you suspect I am correct about the ravens rather than the hat.

GonzoTheGreat
12-28-2009, 05:47 AM
I suspect that you're wrong.
I think that the under-discussed detail is probably the hat. The idea that Mat will end up as property is lunacy.

Of course, I haven't checked whether I rememembered your position on those subjects correctly, so my suspicion may be wrong.

PS I've discovered a flaw in "let them eat cake". It is quite difficult to type with just one hand, and a piece of cake in the other. Of course, this could explain why the French hadn't invented the Internet in the 1700s.

Terez
12-28-2009, 06:09 AM
The hat is a joke. Until we come up with something about the hat that is head-slappingly obvious that we should have been discussing for 12 years, it doesn't qualify.

As for the 'lunacy' of Mat becoming property....you would have said the same thing about Mat becoming Tylin's love slave, before it happened, and perhaps several other situations that Mat has experienced against his will. It's par for his plotline.

GonzoTheGreat
12-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Tylin was just a slightly less subtle version of Melindhra.

Apart from the fact that Mat wouldn't agree to it:
The tattoo thing just does not fit Seanchan attitudes. They do not consider property to be human, and as for Tuon's attitude towards bestiality:
"That is very kind of you," she said. "It's good to know you are kind to damans. But you must be careful. There are men who actually take damane to their beds." Her full mouth twisted in disgust. "You would not want anyone to think you are perverted." That severe expression settled on her face again. All prisoners would be executed immediately.I do not believe that the husband of the Empress could be a slave.