PDA

View Full Version : A candidate for the "small detail."

reTaardad
12-29-2009, 09:20 PM
After all of this "small detail" business came about, I've been racking my brain and skimming through books 4-6 trying to see if anything stirs. My reading today has taken me through Lord of Chaos and a few things stuck out to me. Here is one of the ideas to toss around and poke holes through.

Lord of Chaos
Chapter 18: A Taste of Solitude

"What? Yes, exactly the point. It can't be the Last Battle. Even if the Dragon Reborn seals the Dark One's prison again as well as the Creator made it. Which I don't think he can do." He leaned forward and lowered his voice conspiratorially. "He isn't the Creator, you know, whatever they say in the streets. Still, it has to be sealed up again my somebody. The Wheel, you see."

"I don't see..." Rand trailed off.

"Yes, you do. You'd make a good student." Snatching his pipe out, Herid drew a circle in the air with the stem. "The Wheel of Time. Ages come and go and come again as the Wheel turns. All the catechism." Suddenly he stabbed a point on that imaginary wheel. "Here the Dark One's prison is whole. Here they drilled a hole in it, and sealed it up again." He moved the bit of the pipe along the arc he had drawn. "Here we are. The seal's weakening. But that doesn't matter, of course." The pipestem completed the circle. "When the Wheel turns back to here, back to where they drilled the hole in the first place, the Dark One's prison has to be whole again."

In the Age of Legends, Lews Therin and the Hundred Companions sealed the Dark One's prison with a construct of the One Power. As we see in the course of the novels, the Dark One is breaking through the seal covering his prison. I don't want to get into a discussion about the structure of the Dark One's prison in relation to the Pattern, but Demandred commented on the "thinness" of the Pattern around Shayol Ghul, insinuating that the Pattern somehow affects the Dark One's ability to touch the world.

Perhaps the hint that Brandon was talking about concerned Herid Fel's discussion with Rand about how the Pattern must be made whole again before the Age of Legends. How that can be done is up for discussion, but I think it will have something to do with the three ta'veren. After all, the Pattern swirls around them, so it would only take Rand and Mat and Perrin being at Shayol Ghul to reset the Dark One's prison.

jdmusic27
12-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I actually have a small theory about this. I believe that, in order for the world of the Wheel of Time to advance instead of being stuck in the same old rut (Bore drilled, Bore sealed, Bore made whole, Bore discovered, blah blah blah), I think that Rand will actually have to break the Wheel so that time can follow a linear path and advances can be made. There has been a lot of hinting that the Last Battle will be THE Last Battle, not just A Last Battle and back to the usual turnings of the Wheel. Rand has also been talking about killing the Dark One, and not just resealing him in his prison. If he is to break the Wheel of Time, then he would have to kill the Dark One in order for the good guys to win.

Of course, this brings up new problems, and the theory is a little looney I guess lol. The OP turns the Wheel of Time, so what happens to the OP if the Wheel is broken? I believe that if the Dark One breaks free, the books mention that he will break the Wheel of Time as well. Sorry for the lack of examples, I just reread the series, and I am going on memory mostly, so if I am wrong on some points, feel free to correct me! :)

lady itchy woo
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
if he breaks the wheel, then there is no OP. but time will still go on, and the ages will still repeat up to a point. and then it will all be new, uncharted, linear territory.

as for the dark one... he will be defeated, but his influence will be felt for millennia to come. he'll be gone, but people will still do evil things.

almost sounds like randland will become earth, huh?

just a theory, though.

GonzoTheGreat
12-30-2009, 04:12 AM
But that detail has been debated a lot. We never got anywhere with it, granted, but there has been a lot of discussion about it.

Daekyras
12-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Agrees with Gonzo...

I remember the first time i was on the boards here that we went round and round and round and round(no pun intended :)) debating this. I was mostly a lurker then but I remember some very interesting discussions..