PDA

View Full Version : Weird Third Age theory

FellKnight
01-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey all,

I was reading in another thread that RJ has both claimed that there is nothing different about this third age than any other third age, and that Aridhol/Padan Fain is unique to this turning of the wheel.

If this is the case, then how was the taint cleansed in the other third ages? Seems to me that Shadar Logoth was integral to the process.

So what if there really is no such thing as circular time? What if we are the backstory (age before the Age of Legends, Mosk and Merk, etc), and the rest is simple religion? Lord knows that characters' beliefs have been shown to be dead wrong before...

Now, of course we have Moridin who certainly believes that he and Rand have fought countless battles across the Ages, but we also know that Moridin is Certifiably Wacko (TP, Sa'a, Ba'alzamon, etc).

Now I don't really have a dog in the fight. I'm cool with however the story ends, whether time is a circle and the best Rand can do is to hope to patch the DO's prison up as best he can until The Next Time; or whether this may be "The End"... as long as the ending is satisfying.

Anyhoo... what do you think?

Fell

Terez
01-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Not every Third Age has tainted saidin; RJ implied that it was a special opportunity for the Dark One, not the sort of thing that can be easily replicated. There is an implication that different things happen in other Turnings to bring balance to the Pattern.

GonzoTheGreat
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
RJ has said that time is not really circular, that it might be more accurate to see it as a spiral.

One Armed Gimp
01-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Did RJ ever say SL was unique? The only thing I know that comes close is about Fain:

Q: Has the Padan Fain/Mordeth character been present in previous Ages, or is he unique to this particular Age?

RJ: He is unique to this particular Age. A very unique fellow, indeed. In some ways, you might say he has unwittingly side-stepped the Pattern.

Regardless, RJ's comments about there being nothing special in this turning are generally taken to mean that the cycle will continue and this is simply the version of the Third Age he is righting about.

padfoot89
01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Shadar Logoth is not the only way to cleanse saidin. The AOLers found a way to do it as well and that was before Shadar Logoth.

Daekyras
01-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Shadar Logoth is not the only way to cleanse saidin. The AOLers found a way to do it as well and that was before Shadar Logoth.

Was it not clean when the AOLers discovered it? i.e. The Rand equivalent had cleansed it, sealed the bore as if it was never opened and channeling was forgotten,,,,

Terez
01-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah, as far as we know, it's never been tainted before.

One Armed Gimp
01-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Maybe padfoot has the inside scoop and is privy to more info than we are.

dominominic
01-07-2010, 03:19 PM

I think this is referring to the Eye Of The World. How did they cleanse the saidin there?

padfoot89
01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm talking about the Eye of the World.

dominominic
01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm talking about the Eye of the World.

I thought so! :)

How DID they cleanse that?

Daekyras
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I thought so! :)

How DID they cleanse that?

Forget about cleansing, how did they turn saidin into a LIQUID? That's a much bigger mystery.

dominominic
01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Forget about cleansing, how did they turn saidin into a LIQUID? That's a much bigger mystery.

I wonder how it would taste?

Mort
01-07-2010, 05:21 PM
I recall everyone who participated in creating the Eye died doing it. Didn't seem like a lot of Saidin in there, so the cost is pretty high to to use cleaned Saidin that way.

Terez
01-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah, the Eye is sort of like a Well in a way, and there were 100 men and women that died to make it pure. In comparison to the Well that Nynaeve used in Far Madding, there was a ton of saidin in the Eye, but in comparison to the taint that Rand destroyed, I would guess that the Eye was a drop in the pond in comparison.

Davian93
01-07-2010, 10:25 PM
THey probably filtered the saidin through a saidar funnel (like Rand did) but somehow had to die in the process (perhaps by ODing on the OP?)

Or perhaps RJ hadn't fully worked out the mechanics yet by the end of tEotW (which was potentially a standalone novel when it was written IIRC)

dominominic
01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
The population of Aridhol killed itself, and thus Mashadar came into being.(as I understand it...)

Perhaps the Aes Sedai who made the Eye pure were involved in some kind of "suicide pact" as part of their mini-cleansing?

Cor Shan
01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
THey probably filtered the saidin through a saidar funnel (like Rand did) but somehow had to die in the process (perhaps by ODing on the OP?)

Or perhaps RJ hadn't fully worked out the mechanics yet by the end of tEotW (which was potentially a standalone novel when it was written IIRC)

I thought the taint itself killed them super quickly, i.e.: they used their bodies as filters.