PDA

View Full Version : %$@#ing Airlines

ShadowbaneX
01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
So I've been looking into flying down and there's some good news: there's a seat sale for Air Canada down to Atlanta and it's valid until 2011. Bad news is that I need to check any and all luggage for flying down there...I guess there's no such thing as carry-on luggage any more. Now, this is annoying enough that I've briefly considered not going just because of it (I loathe checking in my luggage).

I don't want to do that and I kinda need clothes. I sorta hit upon the idea of perhaps couriering the clothes down there, but I'd sorta need someone to ship them too. Anyone in the area willing to receive and transport a suitcase or two?

Zanguini
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Southwest doesnt fly into any airport in georgia.... so instead of 100 tickets they will be 200 tickets

Zaela Sedai
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
i'm contemplating Driving depending on if people come with me... but otherwise it depends on the airline i take, some (most) charge per bag

JSUCamel
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Southwest doesnt fly into any airport in georgia.... so instead of 100 tickets they will be 200 tickets

If you fly into Birmingham via Southwest, I can pick you up and drive you to Atlanta. It's only a 2 hour drive and I don't mind making it.

Frenzy
01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
If you fly into Birmingham via Southwest, I can pick you up and drive you to Atlanta. It's only a 2 hour drive and I don't mind making it.

i may take you up on that. i'll get back to you.

edit: it's been a while since i've flown cross-country. Sticker shock. eek.

Hopper
01-12-2010, 05:33 AM
So I've been looking into flying down and there's some good news: there's a seat sale for Air Canada down to Atlanta and it's valid until 2011. Bad news is that I need to check any and all luggage for flying down there...I guess there's no such thing as carry-on luggage any more. Now, this is annoying enough that I've briefly considered not going just because of it (I loathe checking in my luggage).

I don't want to do that and I kinda need clothes. I sorta hit upon the idea of perhaps couriering the clothes down there, but I'd sorta need someone to ship them too. Anyone in the area willing to receive and transport a suitcase or two?

I'm in the area and I could handle receiving a bag or two.

Ishara
01-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Really SBX? The cost alone of shipping luggage makes my head spin! Also, seat sale?

~leaves to go check out Air Canada site~

When are you leaving/ coming back SBX? I was thinking Thursday - Sunday to minimize vacation days used.

ShadowbaneX
01-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Not entirely sure. I need to check on the price of luggage checked vs price of shipping luggage...right now I'd be willing to pay extra to avoid having it checked. Also, I can send it earlier and have it take a slower, read: less expensive, route. Hopper, let me check some prices and I might just take you up on that. Thanks kindly for offering.

I believe the seat sale is Air Canada. It was pointed out to me in the news paper. If you can't find it I'll ask and double check where it is. Humm, there's actually a sale from Ottawa to Atlanta that's $192 (http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/air/websaver_fares/websaver_fares.html#YOW-US) but it needs to be booked in the next two days. Nothing that I can see from the Toronto area.

As for days, I'm not entirely sure, depends on how many I've saved up at that point. Personally, I might take the Monday off regardless of if I fly back that day or not. It really sucks having to fly back one day and then go right back to work the next.

Zanguini
01-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually we are flying into savannah so we can go to the beach

JSUCamel
01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Not entirely sure. I need to check on the price of luggage checked vs price of shipping luggage...right now I'd be willing to pay extra to avoid having it checked. Also, I can send it earlier and have it take a slower, read: less expensive, route. Hopper, let me check some prices and I might just take you up on that. Thanks kindly for offering.

I'm also in the area and willing to accept a package or two.

Ishara
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, I just checked and Air canada had the most expensive flights BY FAR. I checked 5 companies and 4 were all under $600, except for Air Canada.

Selloffvacations.com had a direct flight, return, for $542 and itravel200.com had another direct for $553. I'll probably go for either of those. I'm trying to land a late afternoon flight on the Sunday so that I don't have to rush off, but it does make it more expensive. Expedia and travelocity both also had decent deals, but with connections, which I'd love to avoid if at all possible.

Do we have the calculation for a hotel room if shared between 4 people?

Brita
01-12-2010, 02:56 PM
There are round-trip flights from Thunder Bay for $ 494.00 right now...totally affordable.

Plus $ 60 conference registration fee.

Plus $ 90 for hotel. Without the group rate, just looking at a regular price, the hotel room would be 105/night. Split four ways, plus tax, about $30/night.

Then food....ahhh! It gets expensive quite quickly. :( OK, food. Being extremely careful, bordering on anorexic, let's say another $ 100. That brings the grand total to $ 744.

** sigh **

ShadowbaneX
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah, there's that, but you get to meet me and that's worth like at least $250, and that's for free so it brings the price down quite a bit.

On a more serious note, if you think things are looking expensive for you consider that I'm a "over-sized" passenger and that I need to purchace two seats for both there and back...even with this seat sale that's nearly an extra $400 to the price of things.

Sei'taer
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Memphis is also an option, although I'm not sure if packing me, SoE, Alyson and Pops with 2 other people and luggage into the Tahoe will work. We do have a rack on top and could put luggage there, but it's six hours to Atlanta so no one may want to ride that long when it's shorter other ways. On the other hand, there is a DVD player in the Tahoe....

If you want to try though, FB an email or post here and I'll try to remember to check it later.

Ishara
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
You're sweet Sei. Atlanta really should be cheaper given that it's a damn hub. :mad:

I'm going to have to leave in the early afternoon to catch my flight whichever way I slice it though. Hopefully I don't miss out on too much. I'd rather not waste a vacation day on the Monday if I can at all help it...

And Bri? I'm buying my ticket now and just setting aside the cash for the rest. If I don't I'll be pissed about spending it all in one go later - hopefully I'll have a house to worry about by then!

JSUCamel
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM

Not sure what your beef is with checking luggage... I know part of it's the cost, but it seems like maybe you've lost luggage before. I have, so I know how that feels. However, I've stumbled upon a secret to make sure your luggage is safe:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/24/secure-your-checked-.html

Since you're international, I'm not sure this would work, but it may be something to consider :)

Sarevok
01-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm sure if in the Netherlands I'd walk up to anyone in an airport and tried to say "I have a weapon to declare", I'd be arrested before I could finish the sentence. :eek:

JSUCamel
01-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm sure if in the Netherlands I'd walk up to anyone in an airport and tried to say "I have a weapon to declare", I'd be arrested before I could finish the sentence. :eek:

lol, I'm not sure how the Netherlands work, but in the US, one of our basic laws is the right to bear arms, and so as long as we have the relevant permits, we can carry a gun in most (i think) places. When traveling, you can't carry the gun on the plane, but you can check it into your baggage.

ShadowbaneX
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Hummm, I might be able to borrow a pistol for that sorta thing...I'll look into it.

Seriously though, my main problem is that I need to actually check my luggage. When I went down to Vegas I was able to get everything down there in a single carry-on piece of luggage and a backpack. No problems what-so-ever. Now, for the same amount of clothes, all of a sudden I need to check everything? WTF? And the thing is I can pretty much just get through with clothing. I can pick up toothpaste or whatever when I'm down there, no liquids or whatever really needed, but because of the idiocy here I need to check 3 pairs of shorts, a bunch of shirts and some underwear...it's just massively retarded.

ShadowbaneX
01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
So I tried to book my flight but due to some miscommunication it didn't happen...and that might have been for the best. Turns out that the total cost for me to fly down there is like $1300 once all is said and done which is f'ing ridiculous.

-a pissed sbx

Ishara
01-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Okay - where are doing the buying SBX? Honestly!

itravel200, expedia and travelocity are all good search tools, as is selloffvacations.com. Have you tried looking on those sites? My AC flight was way cheaper there than it was on the AC website.

ShadowbaneX
01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
there's a local travel agency that my family normally deals with. I'm looking into other options.

Ishara
01-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah. Do that. ;)

Cary Sedai
01-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Actually we are flying into savannah so we can go to the beach

Good thing I came and read this thread, I had no idea we were flying into Savannah! I mean, I knew about the beach, but not any of the details. This is cool, we can be at the beach for a day, then drive to Atlanta, then drive back to the beach for another day, then go home! Wow, that's awesome!

Wonder when Zan was gonna tell me.:p

Scratch that, flying back home from Atlanta, not going to the beach twice, but everything is still awesome! :D

JSUCamel
01-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Scratch that, flying back home from Atlanta, not going to the beach twice, but everything is still awesome! :D

I was gonna say... Savannah's like a four or five hour drive from Atlanta

ShadowbaneX
03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
So, it's getting very close for time for me to book my flight, however, it looks like it's about $200 cheaper to fly through either DC or Chicago then to fly through Toronto.

Any opinions of it it's actually worth it to do so, or is it actually better to pay the $200 to avoid those either of those two places.

Ishara
03-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Um, so what? You'll drive to DC or Chicago and then fly? Dude, I'd pay the $200 to save the hassle. But that's just me.

Zanguini
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Instead of buying 2 round trip tickets i am buying 4 one way tickets it saved me about a 150$

ShadowbaneX
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
...you missed your morning coffee Ishy?

I'd fly from Ottawa to Chicago or DC and then on to Atlanta instead of flying Ottawa/Toronto/Atlanta.

JSUCamel
03-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Um, so what? You'll drive to DC or Chicago and then fly? Dude, I'd pay the $200 to save the hassle. But that's just me.

I think he's talking about a layover.

It all depends on your worth of time vs comfort vs money. If you do the layover, it'll take longer. You'll have to wait for the next flight, etc, and two combined flights will be longer than a single direct flight. Obviously a direct flight would be more uncomfortable than two shorter flights with a break in between, but then the direct flight would be over faster.

So if you think of it that way, is $200 worth it, or would you rather save $200 and spend a few extra hours in layover?

A trick that I learned recently is to book for flights past your destination. If you want to go to Atlanta, book a flight to Miami with a layover in Atlanta and just stop at Atlanta. It'll wind up being cheaper, usually. The downside to this is that if you book round-trip, sometimes they'll cancel your return flight (since you didn't finish it). This would work best for two one-way flights, but I haven't done any research to figure out how much cheaper it would be for two one-way flights using this technique versus a round-trip fare the regular way.

Anyway.. we'd love to have you, so don't let $200 put you off. :)

ShadowbaneX
03-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Instead of buying 2 round trip tickets i am buying 4 one way tickets it saved me about a 150$
Hummm, that's very interesting...I wonder if that would work.

Zanguini
03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
well oddly it was cheaper for us to fly into savanah ... but it was cheaper to fly out of atlanta... its all screwy ... but i saved enough to get two upgrades at the rental car

Ishara
03-06-2010, 08:26 PM
...you missed your morning coffee Ishy?

I'd fly from Ottawa to Chicago or DC and then on to Atlanta instead of flying Ottawa/Toronto/Atlanta.
Sorry, the emphasis was supposed to be on confusion...like:

soooo....what? As opposed to, so what? (I don't give a shit)

I do care! And was confused! LOL

Hmmm. For me, I prefer convenience to money. I paid a bit more (like $100) to fly direct from Toronto, instead of from Buffalo. But, to me it was important. You just have to prioritize what's important to you

ShadowbaneX
03-06-2010, 11:08 PM
I cannot get a direct flight from Ottawa to Atlanta, I have to stop somewhere, be it Toronto, Chicago or DC. I merely wondering if there's a difference between the three locations and if it's worth the extra money to fly through Toronto or to go through one of the American stops.

JSUCamel
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
I cannot get a direct flight from Ottawa to Atlanta, I have to stop somewhere, be it Toronto, Chicago or DC. I merely wondering if there's a difference between the three locations and if it's worth the extra money to fly through Toronto or to go through one of the American stops.

In that case.... i have no idea :)

Ishara
03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah, that sucks. I figure at that point, which is cheaper? If you're stuck doing the stop-over, then you have to choose between the shorter time lag or the cheaper tickets. I know which I'd pick! ;)