PDA

View Full Version : Appearance of Gaidal?

jdmusic27
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I know there has been a lot of speculation wondering where Gaidal is, if he's an infant, or Olver, or someone else. I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, so forgive me if I am repeating! I just started my reread of TGS after rereading the series, and something in the prologue jumped out at me.
TGS:What the storm means
"He had not dismissed her, and so she remained seated as the other two withdrew. Moridin stayed where he was, one arm leaning against the mantel. There was silence in the too-black room for a time, and then a servant in a crisp red uniform entered, bearing two cups. He was an ugly thing, with a flat face and bushy eyebrows, worth no more than a passing glance."

Gaidal is described as being ugly, with a wide, flat face. Just a thought, although what Moridin has planned for him is anyones guess if it is him. Could he have been pulled out of T'A'R like Birgitte by Moghedien? That would explain him being full grown. Although, she would have had to get to him before Birgitte because Birgitte says she hadn't seen him in a while, and that was before Moghedien pulled her out of T'A'R. What does everyone think?

nameless
01-13-2010, 02:36 AM
It seems unlikely if only because Gaidal followed the prescripts and refused to interact with living dreamers, meaning there would be no opportunity for one of the Forsaken to remove him from the dream.

I am interested in the ugly servant carrying drinks, though... since when did Ishamael/Moridin use human servants? Doesn't he have a crate full of zomara that he shows off at every opportunity? He uses the things often enough that I've seen threads speculating he's figured out how to increase their memories enough to take advantage of their precog/telepathy trick and spy on his guests.

GonzoTheGreat
01-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Has he used those zomara outside TAR?

WinespringBrother
01-13-2010, 08:52 AM
I know there has been a lot of speculation wondering where Gaidal is, if he's an infant, or Olver, or someone else. I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, so forgive me if I am repeating! I just started my reread of TGS after rereading the series, and something in the prologue jumped out at me.
TGS:What the storm means
"He had not dismissed her, and so she remained seated as the other two withdrew. Moridin stayed where he was, one arm leaning against the mantel. There was silence in the too-black room for a time, and then a servant in a crisp red uniform entered, bearing two cups. He was an ugly thing, with a flat face and bushy eyebrows, worth no more than a passing glance."

Gaidal is described as being ugly, with a wide, flat face. Just a thought, although what Moridin has planned for him is anyones guess if it is him. Could he have been pulled out of T'A'R like Birgitte by Moghedien? That would explain him being full grown. Although, she would have had to get to him before Birgitte because Birgitte says she hadn't seen him in a while, and that was before Moghedien pulled her out of T'A'R. What does everyone think?

Brandon addressed this on the TGS tour:

Q: Have we seen the last of Gaidal Cain's screentime? Will we find out which, if any, current 3rd Age characters become newly bound to the Wheel and the Horn?
A: Re: Gaidal, RAFO. He mentioned that yes, he's been spun out into the Pattern, and is thus an infant, but who knows if he's since died and will show up again with the Horn? Re: new Bound to the Wheel characters, RAFO. He's not sure how much of where characters end up will make it into the books proper, but RJ was very detailed about how characters end up, and BS hopes, after WOT is done, to publish a book collecting and organizing the notes themselves. Such a book would have all this info for sure.

I posted the same theory on the main board a while back that Moghedien did what you suggest, but this quote negates that possibility at least for his initial disappearance. I doubt she has time lately to run around in TAR and rip heroes out of dreamland (in the event he died as an infant and went back to TAR) but anything is possible.

Terez
01-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Also, Gaidal was more strict than Birgitte about following the precepts, so it seems unlikely that he would have been caught. Heroes seem to be able to hide easily from everyone else in Tel'aran'rhiod; you can't find them unless they make themselves known, which Gaidal was strongly against.

nameless
01-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Has he used those zomara outside TAR?

Good question... he used them for the Darkfriend meeting at the beginning of The Great Hunt and while I have no reason to believe the meeting took place in T'A'R there's also no real evidence that it took place in the waking world either. Since the narrator for that event was a Whitecloak with no real knowledge of how reality can be manipulated there's no way he could have differentiated between T'A'R weirdness, Shayol Gul weirdness, or the sort of things that any Forsaken could have done anywhere just by using the Power.

GonzoTheGreat
01-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, what do we know about that DF meeting:
-A lot of people had come from many different places there. Either they had needed months to travel to the meeting, or they'd arrived there in some 'quicker' way.
-Bors did not know where it was. That would suggest that he had not walked there himself, and that he hadn't taken a stage coach either.
-He did have to take his normal clothes out of his saddle bags after the meeting. That would seem to speak against it being a simple TAR meeting.

So all in all: we don't know, it is less clear than most such things are. Which is fitting, of course, since "most such things" were arranged by less capable Chosen than Ishamael.

jdmusic27
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Brandon addressed this on the TGS tour:

I posted the same theory on the main board a while back that Moghedien did what you suggest, but this quote negates that possibility at least for his initial disappearance. I doubt she has time lately to run around in TAR and rip heroes out of dreamland (in the event he died as an infant and went back to TAR) but anything is possible.

Thank you for the relevant interview info! I just mentioned it because it seems like RJ/BS both like to give 1 or 2 sentence hints to major events in 800+ page books lol. The similarity in appearance seemed more than coincidence, but I guess I have become too used to having to rip apart every sentence for some hidden meaning! Thanks again

Ishara
01-14-2010, 08:35 AM
I will fully admt that the possibility of him having died as a reborn infant never occured to me. Very cool - implication-wise of course, not he infant...nevermind.