PDA

View Full Version : Decrease the width of text in posts?

Mort
01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I might have asked for this one once before, I can't remember, sorry if I have...

A thing that bothers me a little is that a post is taking up almost the full width of my screen. A row of text becomes very wide and I would feel it more comfortable reading in more of a column way. I would rather scroll more than having to look like I'm playing pong while I'm reading :)

Is there any chance of implementing like a wordwrap around 3/4 of the page where the text changes row after a certain point? Doesn't have to be confined to pictures though, only text. Probably my widescreen doesn't help either with this issue :)

I've actually been thinking of doing a greasemonkey script for Firefox for this issue, so that I can also learn a little about making greasemonkey scripts ;)

GonzoTheGreat
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
You could of course also invest some money in buying an eleven inch monitor. That'd solve your problem right quickly, you know.

Alternatively you could use a not-full-screen window for your browser.

JSUCamel
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Alternatively you could use a not-full-screen window for your browser.

Tam has a minimum width set, which I feel is rather wide. I've brought up this point with him before, but no dice. I can whip up a Greasemonkey script if you want, or you can do it yourself, Mort.

GonzoTheGreat
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
I can decrease the size to 47 characters per line. It's bloody unreadable then, but it is possible.
In order to achieve this, my browser (Opera) has a Small Screen menu item. I have no idea at all why anyone would ever want to use it, but it's there.

Terez
01-13-2010, 05:58 PM
You can also open up the sidebar with the news, though that makes the screen sort of lopsided.

GonzoTheGreat
01-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Yeah, but that's an easy option. So I hadn't thought of it.

Mort
01-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Tam has a minimum width set, which I feel is rather wide. I've brought up this point with him before, but no dice. I can whip up a Greasemonkey script if you want, or you can do it yourself, Mort.

I'm gonna try doing it by myself for now... I'll let you know if I've given up hope ;)

I've just checked the page with Firebug and know what I want in there to become what I want. Now I only need to figure out how to do it in javascript and have greasemonkey pick it up. Only like 90% work left, and the hardest too! Yay! :D

How much of this is actually coded by you guys and how much is coming straight from vBulletin?

Edit: Scratch that, I don't think I know where I want to do my small edit. I'm thinking it's may be the {body min-width:970px} in layout.css ? But I'm afraid I'm going to screw up the whole page by doing that.

Tamyrlin
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
This is the vbulletin style you want to target:

table td div

I don't use tables in my design - all vbulletin stuff so that shouldn't affect anything else on the site. You could add more specificity and I haven't tested what that does to the rest of the pages, like the list of forums and such, but since those are in tables...you should be okay.

You could do:

table td div { width: 50% };

or some other variation - if necessary, you can try to target the posts themselves...there might be a class or an id specific to those pages that you can append in front of "table" if the forums listing and such gets messed up.