PDA

View Full Version : My First Theory - Moridin/Ishy

Zoltar
01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Hello all, this is my first post on Theoryland. I've been reading these forums for a few days now and thought I'd contribute.

I'm sure many of you will disagree with me, but to sum it up, I think Moridin will change sides before the series is over.

I do not believe Moridin is inherently evil. He's done evil things, and I do not suspect he doesn't serve the DO faithfully.

To me, it seems like he's serving the DO under the same principle as "Given an infinite amount of time with a typewriter, a monkey would almost surely reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare"

From page 238 of tGS:
...The Wheel turns, time and time again. Over and over the Ages turn, and men fight the Great Lord. But someday, he will win, and when he does, the Wheel will stop.

Rand tells him he means to slay the DO, and Moridin believes this to be impossible. If it is possible, and Rand somehow convinces Moridin of it, I believe Moridin will change sides and try to help him.

What does Moridin have to lose? He knows if the DO wins, everything is over. He knows the DO will win eventually.

But!

Moridin seems somewhat concerned with self-preservation.

Also from page 238
Go. Leave me in peace. I do not know what would happen to us if we killed one another.

He is almost certainly talking about the bond.
But why fear (for lack of a better word) for your own life if all things are to end soon? This is what leads me to believe he will change sides as soon as he sees that there is hope for the Light, and not just hope that the DO will be sealed for just one more turning of the Wheel.

That's my theory. Tear it apart, do what you like. I'm open to criticism and hope to have some great discussions!

Terez
01-25-2010, 01:37 AM
We have discussed this, in a few different threads (though I think it might have primarily been discussed in the 'Can Rand Do It?' thread (which is on this forum, should be in the first page or two or topics), about whether or not Rand will actually kill the Dark One. That is probably what it would take, for Moridin to change sides. Also, Brandon said no one in WoT is inherently evil.

Welcome to Theoryland. :)

GonzoTheGreat
01-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Also, Brandon said no one in WoT is inherently evil.He probably hasn't read far enough to encounter Egwene, yet.

Daekyras
01-25-2010, 03:19 AM
He probably hasn't read far enough to encounter Nynaeve, yet.

fix'd

Zoltar
01-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Ah, alright. It seems not everyone is against my theory :P

Something unrelated I was going to mention...

Throughout the series, RJ wrote various bits about people being turned to the dark by a circle of 13, though we haven't seen it happen yet. Does anyone think this will play a part in the books to come?

GonzoTheGreat
01-25-2010, 03:49 AM
I have thought for quite a while that was what happened to Taim. I'm starting to lose hope on that one, though.

Terez
01-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Throughout the series, RJ wrote various bits about people being turned to the dark by a circle of 13, though we haven't seen it happen yet. Does anyone think this will play a part in the books to come?
Brandon very nearly confirmed that it will, on book tour.

padfoot89
01-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Rand need not kill the DO just seal him in such a way that he can never be released.

Terez
01-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I doubt Moridin would trust to that - who is to say that the Dark One could never find away around....whatever?

GonzoTheGreat
01-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Perhaps Moridin/Ishamael is just like Verin: an undercover infiltrator? :D

Terez
01-25-2010, 07:58 AM
No....Rand is going to win him over to the Light via hawt, steamy dreamsex. The harem can watch.

Wantanswers
01-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Rand has to bind dark and light together just as in the old AS sign. As soon as light and dark are balanced the wheel will stop, the pattern will be woven on a different way and mankind will have a future.

nameless
01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
I have thought for quite a while that was what happened to Taim. I'm starting to lose hope on that one, though.

I figure it's probably happened to several characters offscreen by now. It's hard to imagine how else the Black Ajah managed to convert 20% of the Tower. Taim may have been forced over or may have been enticed with the ol' "join the Dark Side or else you'll go crazy and contract super-leprosy" but that particular recruiting tactic doesn't work on women.

Zoltar
01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Perhaps Moridin/Ishamael is just like Verin: an undercover infiltrator? :D

I think he serves the DO faithfully (creating the Black Ajah, Trolloc Wars, etc.) but only because he sees it as the only option.

I find it comparable to a prisoner sitting in prison for X amount of years, that would rather just have the death penalty and end it all. If Moridin believes it possible to "break out of prison," I think he'll try.

halo6819
01-25-2010, 10:17 PM
No....Rand is going to win him over to the Light via hawt, steamy dreamsex. The harem can watch.

this is nither twilight, naruto, nor HP slah!

Terez
01-25-2010, 10:30 PM
It's not intended to be. It's WoT!

I used to think that there was no good slash material in WoT, but that little dream scene convinced me otherwise...and really, the thought had occurred to me before, but that scene made it more tangible. :D

Neilbert
01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Don't encourage her, she could make slash out of a Dr. Sues book.

Terez
01-26-2010, 12:26 AM
pfffft, the subject material has to interest me enough. Namely the boys involved, of course. ;)

Kalli
01-26-2010, 07:44 AM
tGS (p.345)
Lews Therin! Rand snapped in his mind. What do we do? How did you seal the Bore last time?
It didn't work, Lews Therin whispered. We used saidin, but we touched it to the Dark one. It was the only way! Something has to touch him, something to close the gap, but he was able to taint it. The seal was weak!

Moridin does have the protection of the DO. If he did go rogue he could be able to bridge the gap for Rand.

lurk
01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Fain will close the gap, like gollem he will trip and fall into it.

oh god I do hope I am wrong about this :D

but the power of aridhol, now solely present in fain his dagger and in Rands WOUND, will probably be needed to deal with the DO or with the bore (hmmm a seal made of that power would keep the DO at bay)

nameless
01-28-2010, 03:41 AM
pfffft, the subject material has to interest me enough. Namely the boys involved, of course. ;)

And the Rand/Moridin dialogue is really the first scene you thought had potential? Nothing about Lan teaching Rand the proper way to grip his sword? No Perrin/Child Byar S+M numbers? To say nothing of what happens when Rand, Mat, and Perrin compare notes and decide that none of them understand women but it's okay because they all understand each other...

Terez
01-28-2010, 05:21 AM
pssh, there's no chemistry between those guys. Rand/Moridin....totally different story. Their souls are twined together, like Birgitte and Gaidal. :D

GonzoTheGreat
01-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Hah! You simply prefer the more intellectual types. Or maybe just the craczy scientist, "let's destroy the whole world, that'll solve our problems" ones.

Terez
01-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Hah! You simply prefer the more intellectual types. Or maybe just the crazy scientist, "let's destroy the whole world, that'll solve our problems" ones.
You know me. :) But I maintain that there is no chemistry between the other guys......I could see Rand/Mat, but it would take a damn good writer to make that anything close to convincing.

On second thought, I could see some Byar/Bornhald S&M kinkiness....it's believable, but hardly arousing...