PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Fun Stuff to Do

JSUCamel
01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
So, since a record number of TLers will be present at JordanCon, I think we should do something to show we're a group.

Every other website group is probably gonna have some stupid T-Shirt that says "Got WoT? lawlz - Dragonmount".

We need a better idea (or many).

Here's one. What if we all brought a black t-shirt, a pair of blue jeans and shades, and at one of the book signings, we stand around in our black outfits and be as intimidating as possible, and later at a Q&A, when someone from our group asks a question, we all stand up, cross our arms, and stare at Brandon.

Or not.

What else could we do? :P

One Armed Gimp
01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
at a Q&A, when someone from our group asks a question, we all stand up, cross our arms, and stare at Brandon.

That. Please do that and have some take pics for the rest of us.

Terez
01-26-2010, 01:44 PM
We need wolf suits.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Tshirts or little cards to wave that say:

I am from Theoryland and I have a question

Can you hear the groans? :p

Or we all wear Yankees hats (waiting, waiting, waiting for Zae to come through my computer and choke me!)

Ishara
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM
LOL.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to wear a WoT t-shirt, so I'm in deep favour of something else. ;)

Um, shouldn't we also start planning the monologue for Tam? Isn't he our MC? Are we coordinating heckling or clapping? Wasn't there some sort of play last year?

ShadowbaneX
01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm down for the black t-shirt and blue jeans idea. Oh, and go-carts.

Gilshalos Sedai
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
No go-carts. I'd actually like to do something I can participate in.

I have tons of black shirts. However, I couldn't look intimidating unless Mr. T was standing behind me.

Tamyrlin
01-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I like that idea Camel (T-shirts and blue jeans). We will have a part to play in the Opening Ceremonies, and I will likely employ each TL to help out in the skit. Part of that will be a uniform of sorts...but we aren't the costuming type, so likely an informal uniform of sorts, like black t-shirt with HCFF (Theoryland) on the front and your TL name on the back?

Also, we may have a block of time to fill, one to two hours the first night - Theoryland - so we should consider the best way to make use of that time: quizzes, reviewing the most ridiculous theories ever submitted, theory debates, etc.

Ishara
01-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Oh my freaking god - I am suddenly so much more excited!!!!!!

Tam, for the record, you are likely the ONE person I'd wear that t-shirt for. Works for me...

Gilshalos Sedai
01-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Wait. Our NAMES or our TL handles?

Ishara
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
TL Name implies TL handle/ alias/ screename, no?

Zanguini
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
TL Name implies TL handle/ alias/ screename, no?

and various titles...

There is a medieval times in atlanta... just a suggestion it normally around $25 a person.

GonzoTheGreat
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
reviewing the most ridiculous theories ever submitted,For that, you could try some of my wacky theories.

Moghedien is the DotNM proved hard to defend, true, but Mat is the DR was a lot of fun, and Asmodean killed himself when he found a mirror is deucedly hard to disprove.

ShadowbaneX
01-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Hmmm, how large do these t-shirts go? I, uh, need larger then most places usually supply.

ShadowbaneX
01-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Asmodean killed himself when he found a mirror is deucedly hard to disprove.

I very much like this idea. I also have a few loony theories that could work. C.S. Loony comes to mind. Oh, and Egwene is Messana is a recent one. =D

Frenzy
01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I very much like this idea. I also have a few loony theories that could work. C.S. Loony comes to mind. Oh, and Egwene is Messana is a recent one. =D
I could whip out the old Evil Min theory. That always makes the audience feel warm & fuzzy.

Or the Moiraine will return as a ghost theory.

As for a group uniform, how about we all wear our hair Taraboner style. That'd be worth the price of admission.

reTaardad
01-28-2010, 12:49 AM
As for a group uniform, how about we all wear our hair Taraboner style. That'd be worth the price of admission.
Dammit, I thought we were dressing up as Seanchan Blood. I've been growing my fingernails for the last 8 months and shaved my head.

Frenzy
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I asked both Jason (DM) and Tamyrlin if there will be a Magic: the Gathering game a la what we did at the SJ booksigning. Wouldn't that just top off the geekfest?

Anyway, i put that bug in their ear, so be prepared. :p

Brita
02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Arghhh! It sounds like so much fun! But how can I justify spending so much now that Ihave taken a significant paycut? What to do....what to do....

Hey Ishara, is there space in your hotel room if I make a last minute decision? Or do you have your 4 in mind?

JSUCamel
02-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey Ishara, is there space in your hotel room if I make a last minute decision? Or do you have your 4 in mind?

We'll work something out. You get down here, and we'll make sure everyone has a place to sleep.

ShadowbaneX
02-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I asked both Jason (DM) and Tamyrlin if there will be a Magic: the Gathering game a la what we did at the SJ booksigning. Wouldn't that just top off the geekfest?

I'll be sure to bring my cleric deck.

Birgitte
02-02-2010, 06:29 PM
No go-carts. I'd actually like to do something I can participate in.

I have tons of black shirts. However, I couldn't look intimidating unless Mr. T was standing behind me.

Sad, but true.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Sad, but true.

YOU are not supposed to agree quite so quickly.

Ishara
02-03-2010, 09:22 AM

We'll work something out. You get down here, and we'll make sure everyone has a place to sleep.

For you, I will sleep on the floor - you can have my bed if it means you'll come!

Ozymandias
02-03-2010, 11:04 AM
and various titles...

There is a medieval times in atlanta... just a suggestion it normally around $25 a person.

those things are awesome. only because you get to eat with your hands. I remember as a kid, that was the best time ever.

Isabel
02-03-2010, 11:36 PM
From what i saw from flyers about medievel times it was way more expensive :( Are you sure it's only 25?

Frenzy
02-04-2010, 12:21 AM
From what i saw from flyers about medievel times it was way more expensive :( Are you sure it's only 25?

What are you worried about? You'll get the kid's discount.

Yellowbeard
02-04-2010, 01:06 AM
RE: Idea for thing to do

http://www.garenfest.com/

GA has one of the biggest ren faires in the country. and jordancon is on the 2nd weekend.

i've been every year at least once since moving here. it's pretty cool. woulld probably take something on the order of a bit less than an hour to get there from the hotel.

don't plan on going on a weeekend i go. whenever i buy tickets, it means it's gonna rain the whole day. the DO has cursed me that way.

but do stay to the end of the day and attend the pirate ship auction/give away. they give away or auction off all sorts of weaponry at the end of each day.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Awesome, a reason to bring my medieval dress halloween costume. :)

Yellowbeard
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
don't miss the tortuga twins comedy show. just don't be the biggest, manliest guy in the crowd, and don't be the hottest, sexiest woman in the crowd, or you WILL end up on stage!!

Zanguini
02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
i was wrong the prices start out at 30 but there are group rates avaliable http://www.medievaltimes.com/findcastles/atlanta/index.php

Yellowbeard
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
i live about 10 minutes from that medieval times - 4 tix for $120 if bought in a group when i walked by it a few days ago. not sure how long that deal will continue.

Frenzy
02-05-2010, 02:50 AM
i love a good RenFaire as much as the next geek, but do you honestly think we'll have time for it?

JSUCamel
02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
i love a good RenFaire as much as the next geek, but do you honestly think we'll have time for it?

Nope. We'll be busy from Thursday night til Sunday afternoon. They don't really include breaks for meals, you just gotta pick which panels you wanna skip so you can eat.

I believe last year on Sunday afternoon a whole bunch of us went to Chuck E Cheese for a few hours, but the Con was pretty much over by then.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Ugh, you WOULD. Now Bryan's going to have bring EVERY SINGLE MAGIC CARD HE OWNS! And he owns a lot.

Good thing we're driving. I think we're also bringing the books.

Terez
02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I am bringing all of my hardbacks. My wardrobe is simple enough so I'll just stuff them all in my suitcase, whether I drive or fly.

Leanne
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah, we had a hard enough time finding time to eat. I think we usually had an hour for lunch, sometimes half hour. We missed the trivia last year and some people were upset that they missed it, Cary especially I think. If I remember correctly, we had more time for dinner because the night activities were later/longer so it didn't matter as much if you were there on time. I know I kept trying to convince everyone to eat at the hotel to take full advantage of the free drinks, which I will really miss this year.

Bryan Blaire
02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, Birgitte's cat pissed away about 750 bucks worth of good Magic: the Gathering cards, and I will NOT be replacing those, so it is unlikely that I will be partaking. However, I am likely to bring my Warhammer 40K armies (not all, just some), and maybe some RPGs. Not sure how the night festivities are all arranged out, but we'll see just who is the geekiest geek. ;)

Muirenn
02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Just like last year, the only built in schedule breaks are for dinner at 7:00. Which is really a break for the congoers, not the staff, since we'll be setting up for the evening activities. :D

I suggest getting lunch before programming starts on Friday, because you won't want to miss the lineup. ;) There are food options in & around the hotel, so I suggest grabbing something during the 30 minute breaks between panels.

There will be *more* trivia events this year, in different formats, including a team challenge. And we are definitely including some gaming time. In fact, if any of y'all have GMing experience, and are familiar with the WoT D20 game, I'd love to talk to you!

-Aubree Pham
Sr Director of Programming, JordanCon

Terez
02-06-2010, 02:52 AM
What time in the morning do events start?

Zanguini
02-06-2010, 11:08 AM
last year it was 10am

Terez
02-06-2010, 11:44 AM
That is tolerable.

JSUCamel
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
That is tolerable.

Like Gil said somewhere, most of us aren't going to be sleeping much. We'll be up well past midnight, wake up at 8am (or earlier) and start again. This is one of those weekends where sleep is definitely overrated ;)

Terez
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Sleep is NEVER overrated.

JSUCamel
02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Sleep is NEVER overrated.

Well, you're more than welcome to sleep through the BEST WEEKEND OF THE YEAR. We won't miss you, because we'll be too busy having fun :P

Terez
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes, I know you won't miss me. :rolleyes:

Ishara
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
That's okay T - I'll be your partner in sleeping in...I'm a little sad that I'll clearly be missing naps. :(

Truly the new TLers I meet may not think I'm as nice as I can be, but that will be the lack of sleep, I promise!

Terez
02-06-2010, 03:50 PM
That's okay T - I'll be your partner in sleeping in...I'm a little sad that I'll clearly be missing naps. :(
I wasn't the only one that thought sleep was better than go karts in Vegas.

Sei'taer
02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I could whip out the old Evil Min theory. That always makes the audience feel warm & fuzzy.

Or the Moiraine will return as a ghost theory.

What about Caddie is Moiraine reincarnated? I pissed off a lot of people with that...and it could still be true. Couldn't it?

I really think we need to find Sdogs list of things we have tried to do since reading WoT. I've forgotten most of them but I think he or Ivhon still has it laying around. I'd wear some of those on a T-shirt.

Sei'taer
02-09-2010, 06:18 PM
just don't be the biggest, manliest guy in the crowd,

Nope, I can't go. Sometimes it's tough being this big manly and awesome....you miss out on a lot of good stuff.

Frenzy
02-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I really think we need to find Sdogs list of things we have tried to do since reading WoT. I've forgotten most of them but I think he or Ivhon still has it laying around. I'd wear some of those on a T-shirt.

Why don't you paint a pair of W's on your asscheeks and go as the wOw?

i mean besides the obvious answer of most sane people running away screaming.

Sei'taer
02-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Just wait til we meet. You're gonna be stunned...STUNNNED I tell ya!

Frenzy
02-11-2010, 02:52 AM
i'll be stunned if you actually make them W's, and not E's or M's.

Terez
02-11-2010, 03:40 AM
I vote for P, with L as runner-up.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I vote for P, with L as runner-up.

I am refraining from voting in fear of being asked to verify and/or judge the outcome

/shudder

Terez
02-12-2010, 11:44 PM
That is what Tam is for.

pops taer
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Honestly folk!!! I just went out and bought three new pair of bibs. I'll just wear the bibs and my clodhoppers!!! No shirt underneath and carry my quart o' shine and sword around. Don't expect to get me in no t-shirt and jeans. Sides I have to be prepared at any time to step in and fill spaces for Tam so he can go to the 'potty.'