PDA

View Full Version : MAFO's Are Up

Luckers
03-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Hey guys I just popped up the answers to the MAFO's over on dragonmount.

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,55477.0.html

Tree Brother
03-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Maria's Answer #6 - RAFO. Sorry, but we are doing an encyclopedia, and I have to reserve some things in case we want to put them in there.

MAFO #7 - If you were burned out and then transmigrated, would you still be burned out? [[Brandon] answered that [he] was pretty sure that it was a yes, but that we should feel free to MAFO].

Maria's Answer # 7 - Yes, you would. Jim said that “neither burning out or stilling affects that except in this lifetime, your current lifetime.” (DragonCon), but transmigration is not really a different lifetime; more than just the soul moves. The new person (I’m at a loss for words here) also has the memories of the previous person, and its personality, and such. So Brandon is correct.

This may generate some discussion. It adds another argument for those who believe Lanfear was stilled and killed, then transmigrated. And then healed, of course. If the male healing is common knowledge at that time, Moridin would know how to do it. Maybe there is a way to fudge the healing to make it not 100%. Or maybe the mind trap does limit channeling in some way.

Terez
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks Luckers; I'll put them in the database.

Mort
03-21-2010, 09:53 AM
What's a MAFO?

GonzoTheGreat
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Moo And Find Out.

Sarevok
03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
What's a MAFO?

"(ask) Maria And Find Out"
i.e. Things BS needed to check with RJ's assistant. :)

Ishara
03-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Am suddenly feeling very stupid.

When did Ituralde meet up with Graedal in LoC? How did I miss that?!

Terez
03-22-2010, 09:10 AM
lol, yeah, she meets him in book 6 (though we don't see him on screen - it's one of those 'send him in' things), and she sends him orders in book 8 (from Lady Tuva, killed by a Gray Man, human blood on the letter, etc.).

Luckers
03-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Incidentally I've now put up an interview I did with Maria which can be found here http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=1217

Terez
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Yes, we sawr it. The bit about her crush on Talmanes is interesting....

GonzoTheGreat
03-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh, and please note that Maria refers to Robert Jordan as Jim ...Cause, you know, Jim is such a logical abbreviation of Robert.

Jokeslayer
03-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Cause, you know, Jim is such a logical abbreviation of Robert.

Um... isn't it?

Luckers
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Cause, you know, Jim is such a logical abbreviation of Robert.

You're kind of a douchebag. You do realise that? :)

GonzoTheGreat
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
You're kind of a douchebag. You do realise that? :)Do you mean that the part of the sentence which I very carefully did not quote was relevant?

Ishara
03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
lol, yeah, she meets him in book 6 (though we don't see him on screen - it's one of those 'send him in' things), and she sends him orders in book 8 (from Lady Tuva, killed by a Gray Man, human blood on the letter, etc.).

I remembered the letter from lady Tuva - but had forgotten about the 'send him in' bit. Thanks! JUICY!

Luckers
03-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Do you mean that the part of the sentence which I very carefully did not quote was relevant?

Of course not, I was just making a summary judge of your character. Totally unrelated.:D

Tamyrlin
03-23-2010, 10:14 AM
MAFO #7 - If you were burned out and then transmigrated, would you still be burned out? [[Brandon] answered that [he] was pretty sure that it was a yes, but that we should feel free to MAFO].

Maria's Answer # 7 - Yes, you would. Jim said that “neither burning out or stilling affects that except in this lifetime, your current lifetime.” (DragonCon), but transmigration is not really a different lifetime; more than just the soul moves. The new person (I’m at a loss for words here) also has the memories of the previous person, and its personality, and such. So Brandon is correct.

Love that answer. It makes the Lanfear killed, transmigrated, healed theory a solid possibility.

Maria's Answer #8 - Jim says of Talents: “A Talent is a special ability with the One Power. While the name is used for other things, a Talent is, in truth, something which is inborn in the person and not something that can be learned.” And there is mention of the Wheel throwing out what it needs on occasion, and there’s the phrase, “The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills.” The Wheel can give and take as it needs.

I believe that the potential for a Talent is there, but it doesn't necessarily manifest each time a soul is born. If the Wheel needs the Talent, the Talent is there. But if the Wheel doesn't need it, it lies dormant.

Good to have this one too.

Davian93
03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Love that answer. It makes the Lanfear killed, transmigrated, healed theory a solid possibility.

I simply dont buy it...she didn't lose nearly enough strength. I know Luckers is also a strong proponent of that route but I just dont see it. The "losing a set amount regardless of your overall strength" theory does not seem logical.

Tamyrlin
03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I like it because it makes it a more solid theory to dispute...disputation is key!

As I've said... I really should nail down what I think happened there, but that answer is still a very valuable one regarding transmigration.

Davian93
03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I like it because it makes it a more solid theory to dispute...disputation is key!

As I've said... I really should nail down what I think happened there, but that answer is still a very valuable one regarding transmigration.

Ahhh...okay then.

nameless
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I simply dont buy it...she didn't lose nearly enough strength. I know Luckers is also a strong proponent of that route but I just dont see it. The "losing a set amount regardless of your overall strength" theory does not seem logical.

Maybe someone refined the technique to reduce the strength loss? I'd imagine Semirhage would likely be able to figure out how to improve the healing weaves once someone showed her the basic version.

GonzoTheGreat
03-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe someone refined the technique to reduce the strength loss? I'd imagine Semirhage would likely be able to figure out how to improve the healing weaves once someone showed her the basic version.I'm not at all certain that it would have been easy for her to improve on it. I do think she could have had a lot of fun experimenting with the weave and a few test subjects, though.

Tree Brother
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
What if Moridin did the healing? Is it stated, for sure, that male healing female is 100% healing? Lanfear was at the extreme top. Even 99% would be a loss for her.

GonzoTheGreat
03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
"I was never very skilled at Healing, and I follow a different power now."

That's Moridin (called Ishamael, at the time) from the prologue to TEOTW. Unless he accidentally found a lot of skill at Healing somewhere, he wouldn't have been any use in this at all.

Tree Brother
03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
"I was never very skilled at Healing, and I follow a different power now."

That's Moridin (called Ishamael, at the time) from the prologue to TEOTW. Unless he accidentally found a lot of skill at Healing somewhere, he wouldn't have been any use in this at all.

Deja vu. I think I have been corrected on this more than once :)

With her current strength level, if she was severed and healed, I don't think it was by a woman. She has lost strength, but very little. Just enough to hurt her pride, and enough to be noticed.

The women Rand severed were healed to an extent that no one mentioned any loss in power, but maybe it wasn't enough to be mentioned? Or maybe she really did have an "artificial enhancement", or that is one of the properties of the mind trap, and Moghedian doesn't think about it.

Sodas
03-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Maybe. I've always been 50/50 on whether or not Lanfear should have been burnt out while having that Angrael and falling through the Doorway and such. But even if she wasn't burnt out, I prefer to still think it has to do with the body Lanfear's soul was put into. Cyndane doesn't have the potential power of Lanfear's body.

GonzoTheGreat
03-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Or maybe she really did have an "artificial enhancement", or that is one of the properties of the mind trap, and Moghedian doesn't think about it.The mind trap idea has a rather big flaw: none of the other female Forsaken seem to notice any weakening in Moghedien either.

Tree Brother
03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
The mind trap idea has a rather big flaw: none of the other female Forsaken seem to notice any weakening in Moghedien either.

Yes, could be. It is a stretch to think that could be because they know Moghedien is mind-trapped, but do not know if Cyndane is.

There is also no real evidence that Cyndane/Lanfear was artificially enhanced.

And the idea that

But even if she wasn't burnt out, I prefer to still think it has to do with the body Lanfear's soul was put into. Cyndane doesn't have the potential power of Lanfear's body.

Is equally questionable. If this was a possibility, wouldn't any female forsaken take that into account?

lurk
03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Is it mentioned anywhere what happende to Aginor when he became Osangar? Aginor was very strong in the OP IIRC So Rand would have noticed it when Dashiva was holdoing the power (ubnless Dashiva never drew full amount as not to give anything away.

He does not mention any loss in strength himself, although we have very little POV to go by...

Terez
03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Rand notes that Dashiva can hold almost as much saidin as he can, without strain.