PDA

View Full Version : Stuff That Didn't Annoy You In TGS

Powerslave73
03-16-2010, 05:55 PM
:cool: For me, amazingly, it was the Egwene chapters.
I know, I know... The most annoying whiney little beotch in Randland (next to Elayne, anyway). But for the first time in 12 books, I found myself not hating to read about her. Hell, I was even cheering her on! I felt like she really grew up in this book and was glad to.. well, not stop hating her... but to put the hate on hold for a bit.

Powerslave73
03-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Probably going to be a much smaller thread than the "other" one.

Toss the dice
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I thought Verin was a very well done character.

Ishara
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't think so, at all.

I loved the action. That things moved, and moved quickly.

I loved Faile in this book. I mean, I've always liked her, but I liked that she acknowledged that her time with the Shaido made her better, stronger. I loved the little ceremony and the way that she consciously commits to Perrin - again. I LOVED her comment about it taking the better part of a year to seduce Perrin. That was a full on snort.

I loved the development of Silviana, I loved the way that Shemerin came back on screen after what, 4 books off? I had almost forgotten who she was.

I loved the little moments, like Lelaine sitting on the book and finding it super uncomfortable. Or Cadsuane demanding an apology from Beldeine. And not getting one.

I loved the return to PoVs that for me, really captured the essence of the characters - like Nynaeve in Arad Doman and Aviendha with Min. I feel that BS writes women almost better than RJ (don't hurt me). There was far less sniffing and grabbing and more realism, in my opinion.

I loved that this book's Rand was a whiny, angry jerk. I loved the slow movement to wards him almost killing Tam. I loved how frigging uncomfortable I felt when he was so mean to Hurin; how angry I was with him.

I loved saidared it.

I loved the moment when Cadsuane asks Rand if he expects her to apologize. And then doesn't. How crazy tense I was reading about him slowly killing the light in Min's eyes.

The little moments that brought the book together made it easily one of my favourites.

But hey, that's just me. ;)

Davian93
03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Elayne and Egwene are my favorite two characters. I was kinda pissed that Elayne's story was basically wrapped up in KoD so we didn't get any updates. I loved the intrigue in her chapters in that book.

Powerslave73
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
"Saidared it" was cool. It's not just half of the most powerful force in the universe, it's also a verb!

halo6819
03-16-2010, 08:20 PM
i loved the fact that i stayed up all night, huddeled in my bathroom (only place in the house the dog dosnt pester me at 3 in the morning) reading like a depraved crackaddict.

i loved that i was yelling at rand to use the truepower to save min, and he did, and i was still shocked that it happened.

Verin.

i started liking egwene last book with her subvert the tower from the inside, it was nice to see it come to climax

Rand and Nyneave backing Mat on his decision to kidnap tuon.

Rands fireside chat with morridin.

jesus, lets just say the whole damn book - those two tiny things that nagged me from the other thread...

though avi was slightly anoying, but that didnt bug me as incongruous, i just didnt dig the development that she had to go through this book.

Neilbert
03-17-2010, 12:26 AM
:cool: For me, amazingly, it was the Egwene chapters.

I know right?

Mostly what I didn't enjoy was Rand's cuellendar kick and new Mat. By and large everything else was pretty awesome, barring the new vocabulary characters developed.

Luckers
03-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Elayne and Egwene are my favorite two characters. I was kinda pissed that Elayne's story was basically wrapped up in KoD so we didn't get any updates. I loved the intrigue in her chapters in that book.

I don't know that you could say wrapped up--Duhara, a confirmed black is nearby, and Elayne holds six blacks prisoner, including Chesmal Emry, who claims to have made the Red kill Sierin Vayu and saved the Black from her destroying them (likely a result of Siuan's note to Sierin about the death of Meilyn).

And who was Sierin's Keeper, the woman most likely to have known Sierin was seeking the Black? Duhara. And who was the woman who announced Meilyn's death, and thus the likely focus of Siering's search? Chesmal.

Additionally, there is the Sylvase-is-Cyndane theory.

I don't think Elayne's storyline is closed. She be Queen now, but there's more coming with her.

Davian93
03-17-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't know that you could say wrapped up--Duhara, a confirmed black is nearby, and Elayne holds six blacks prisoner, including Chesmal Emry, who claims to have made the Red kill Sierin Vayu and saved the Black from her destroying them (likely a result of Siuan's note to Sierin about the death of Meilyn).

And who was Sierin's Keeper, the woman most likely to have known Sierin was seeking the Black? Duhara. And who was the woman who announced Meilyn's death, and thus the likely focus of Siering's search? Chesmal.

I don't think Elayne's storyline is closed. She be Queen now, but there's more coming with her.

I agree, its definitely not "wrapped up" so to speak. That was a poor choice of words on my part. We still have the pregnancy subplot, the chances of Last Battle occuring in Andor (something that seems more and more likely IMHO), The BA you mentioned, etc.

Casabamelon
03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
i loved the fact that i stayed up all night, huddeled in my bathroom (only place in the house the dog dosnt pester me at 3 in the morning) reading like a depraved crackaddict.

i loved that i was yelling at rand to use the truepower to save min, and he did, and i was still shocked that it happened.

Wow, just got a strong "The Neverending Story" vibe, there.

On topic: I loved all of Verin's scenes. Most of Rand once he went to the dark side.

But, most of all, I loved Tam putting Cadsuane in her place.

Bully.
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_bike_is_quicker_kawasaki_zx_-14_or_suzuki_hayabusa)

greatwolf
03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Loved verin, a shame she had to go. But there were many cool scenes. "I doubt you can ... the stupidity..." wow!

Enigma
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I loved the way the book took what I wanted Rand to do for so long and then when it had him do it, make you realise he was really really going in the wrong direction.

Maybe I'm evil but for several books I wanted him to get over his "I won't kill a woman no matter how evil she might be and how much of a threat she might be" attitude. I wanted him to really outsmart a forsaken and really take the gloves off. I really wanted him to take Caddy down a peg or two.

Then TGS gives us that and as I was reading it was saying to myself "cool, finally" but no sooner would you have the scene over that I was going "maybe this was not really agood idea after all. He got the results but... this will not end well"

Chaoz
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Things I liked:

- "Saidared it".

- Rand will (hopefully) stop acting like such an idiot starting next book.

- Verin's confession. She has always been a suspicious character and now we know what's up. (Unless, of course, her actions were some part of a larger evil scheme).

- Starting to like Egwene a bit better now.

- Siuan + Gareth.

Kurtz
04-03-2010, 09:04 PM
An homage thread. Greatly appreciated :cool:

Folk saying Egwene's chapters are obviously ruddy faced young chaps in the first flush of puberty. Egwene has been a continued joy barring a slight blip in maybe one paragraph in book 3.

greatwolf
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
At least the AS are starting to respect Mat. Joline even asked his permission, however indirectly...

"Leave them," Mat said. "We can't do anything for them."
"But if we wait until dawn . . ." Joline said hesitantly.
"And what?" Mat said. "Burn to ash every person who tries to climb those stairs? You're making a ruckus here, and it's drawing more and more people. You're going to have to kill them all to stop them."
Joline glanced at the other two women.
"Look," Mat said. "I have a wounded Redarm down below, and I intend to get him out of this alive. You can't do any good for these people here. I suspect your Warders had to kill that group at the top of the stairs before you all felt threatened enough to use the Power. You know how determined they are."
"All right," Joline said. "I'll come. But we're bringing the two serving girls. Blaeric and Fen can carry them."

Not much, I grant you, and it could even be that Joline's just trying to make Mat her warder before he goes back to Tuon.

shadar
04-08-2010, 02:24 AM
"burn me" "she almost did"
I liked seeing Avi again
Verin
Rand almost killing Min. It was gripping.

Really? Other people have that theory? I thought it was just me.

One Armed Gimp
04-08-2010, 11:58 AM
For they were not two men, and never had been.

I liked the pick up in action. Its been increasing these last few books anyway, but the continuation of it and the build up to the end is just exciting.