PDA

View Full Version : New Website

JSUCamel
04-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I found myself reading through book 7 or book 8, and I saw a name -- I forget which one -- and I thought to myself, "Who the heck is that?"

I searched around the internet for character data and found some fantastic resources such as Encyclopaedia WoT, etc. It took about twenty clicks, but I found what I was looking for (and then some). The only thing that bugged me was the lack of a true, centralized, searchable database. I wanted a way to find out information about characters quickly and accurately.

I am proud to announce that today, after over nine months of development and hard work, I am launching a new website for my fellow HCFFs to use.

The Wheel of Time Database (http://www.wotdb.com) is open. The database contains over 1400 characters (and related data), over 800 interview questions, dozens of regions, all the POVs and more. Finally, there is a search engine available for your use.

Enjoy.

Please report any bugs or problems to me. If you see anything on a specific page that is incorrect, hit the "Oops!" button in the upper right corner and let me know exactly what the problem is (and the steps needed to correct the mistake). If anyone is interested in helping me update and keep the database running, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Special thanks to Terez for compiling the interview questions into one place so that I could import them into the database.

Also, this website is brand new, so ideally, I'd like to keep it between TLers for a few days while I work out any bugs that you guys find. Then again, I won't be terribly upset if you share it with other sites ;)

Any and all feedback is appreciated, but if it's data-related (incorrect data, etc) then I'd prefer that you let me know via the form on the site. If, for whatever reason, that doesn't work, you can email me at JSUCamel (at) gmail (dot) com.

Again, enjoy.

One Armed Gimp
04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Nice. I have always thought a tagged db for quotes and interviews would be sweet.

halo6819
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
playing around and so far it looks awesome just one suggestion, a next button, especially in the interview db

halo6819
04-05-2010, 02:42 PM
i did find one bug:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's Blog'' at line 1SELECT * FROM interviews WHERE name = 'Robert Jordan's Blog'

reTaardad
04-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Under the "Points of View" section, the target link for names is incorrect, I believe. For example, when I look at the first chapter of tEotW and click on Rand's name, it shows the message "There are no characters that begin with the letter view." I'm not a web guy (I only work with C-based languages), but it's affecting the code like this:
<td><a href="/characters/view/">Rand al'Thor</a></td>
<td><a href="/classes/view/7">Unique</a></td>
<td><a href="/regions/view/3">Andor</a></td>

I'm assuming that the names should have their own targets instead of dead ending at /classes/view/.

Edit: By the way, the site looks fantastic. May be the best WoT encyclopedia on the web that I've seen thus far.

JSUCamel
04-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys. Will fix asap.

Sodas
04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
I found myself reading through book 7 or book 8, and I saw a name -- I forget which one -- and I thought to myself, "Who the heck is that?"

I searched around the internet for character data and found some fantastic resources such as Encyclopaedia WoT, etc. It took about twenty clicks, but I found what I was looking for (and then some). The only thing that bugged me was the lack of a true, centralized, searchable database. I wanted a way to find out information about characters quickly and accurately.

I am proud to announce that today, after over nine months of development and hard work, I am launching a new website for my fellow HCFFs to use.

The Wheel of Time Database (http://www.wotdb.com) is open. The database contains over 1400 characters (and related data), over 800 interview questions, dozens of regions, all the POVs and more. Finally, there is a search engine available for your use.

Enjoy.

Please report any bugs or problems to me. If you see anything on a specific page that is incorrect, hit the "Oops!" button in the upper right corner and let me know exactly what the problem is (and the steps needed to correct the mistake). If anyone is interested in helping me update and keep the database running, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Special thanks to Terez for compiling the interview questions into one place so that I could import them into the database.

Also, this website is brand new, so ideally, I'd like to keep it between TLers for a few days while I work out any bugs that you guys find. Then again, I won't be terribly upset if you share it with other sites ;)

Any and all feedback is appreciated, but if it's data-related (incorrect data, etc) then I'd prefer that you let me know via the form on the site. If, for whatever reason, that doesn't work, you can email me at JSUCamel (at) gmail (dot) com.

Again, enjoy.

I really like it, but my only complaint, would be that it takes awhile to scroll through the answers.