PDA

View Full Version : What will Rand do next?

DrZoidberg
04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
What will Rand do next Ė another crazy DrZoidberg theory.

In this post Iíll try to get guess what will happen in the next book.

I believe that there will be two major storylines in Towers Of Midnight.

One of the storylines will be centred around Caemlyn where a lot of characters are heading or are. Elayne is there and Taim/Logain is very near. Matís and Perrinís groups are travelling there. I also think that the group with Nynaeve, Min and Cadsuane will travel there, because they think Rand will travel there sooner or later and meet him there. I think what will happen there has been discussed a lot on the forum so I will focus on what I think will be the other part of Towerís of Midnight.

It comes all down to the question what Rand will do next, because I think it will be a lot with a lot of Rand chapters as we are close to the end and he should get a lot of play time.

It would make sense for Rand to travel to Caemlyn to meet different people there. But I donít think he will, for several reasons. The main reason is that I think he will want to avoid Tam, but also Nynaeve who betrayed him and told where Perrin was to Cadsuane get to Tam. And Rand know this. I also think he wants to avoid Min, who as described in the book Rand understood that she was afraid of him after he nearly killed her. We have seen it, but Rand hasnít - but he might suspect it Ė that Min now believe that Cadsuane knows better than Rand what needs to be done and she should tell everything about Rand to her, like Nynaeve also thinks.
He also has the reason to protect Elayne in Caemlyn, by staying away from her.

So what will Rand do then?

As I see it there are four possibilities.

1. Go to the borderlands and rally people there. With their kings away and his taveren abilities he might be able to take control of those countries. Especially if trollocs shows up and the defenceless kingdoms begs for his protection. But I donít think itís his first stop because we have not read about any trolloc activity, but if they come heíll probably go there as soon as possible.

2. Go and see Avienda in Rhuidean. He is a dragoon, but he is also a man. I also think we will see more of Rhuidean, we havenít seen anything from the Aiel desert in 7 books, they should have at least one chapter before the ending. But I donít think he will go there. It can be hard to find her, and if he travels there he can be expect that the other wise ones will tell him that where Avienda is, is none of his business.

3. We donít really know what kind of personality change that happened in the end of TGS, when Rand destroyed the Saíangeral. But we can expect some kind of personality change, perhaps he needs some calm place to rest and discuss it over with a friend. I think there is only one who is Loyal enough that Rand can tell all his most inner secrets too. Loial is in Stedding Shangtai where they have the Big Stub. It makes sense for Rand to travel there, perhaps he can speak at the meeting and perhaps one of the ogiers remembers the legend about the Song Ė a storyline that also needs to be finished. Perhaps he and Loyal will travel to Rhuidean, as the song might have something to do with Avendesora and pick up Avienda there. And after that the trollocs will invade and theyíll travel to the borderlands. But there is one stop I think Rand will make before he travels to Stedding Shangtai.

4. Rand on the Dragonmount might see that The White Tower is damaged from the Seanchan attack, although the attack was some days ago, he might decide that heíll go there. Remember that Rand has never been to Tar Valon and should likely go there at least once. We have seen in chapters that Rand can use the force to change his appearance, like when he sneaked into Elayneís bedroom. So it should be relatively safe for him to go there on the street and get information about the Seanchan attack. But he is taveren, if heíd go to Tar Valon to do this something else would defiantly happen.

Something that has confused me is that Siuan Sanche, Gareth Bryne and Gawyn Trakand has gotten so many chapters in the book. Sure they are needed to tell the uniting of the tower story, but I think still their most interesting chapter is yet to come and that will happen when Rand visit Tar Valon.

One can only guess, but a possible scenario would be that Rand is undercover in Tar Valon. And there on an inn Siuan will recognize him because she can see Taveren, but he might not recognize her as she has gotten younger. Heíll tell him that he wants to meet Egwene on that inn and Siuan brings her. Gawyn will follow Egwene to see where his Aes Sedai will go without him and there he will try to kill Rand to revenge his mother, but Rand will kill him instead. Egwene will get mad and sheíll persuade the Aes Sedaiís to not help Rand travel to Shaoyl Ghul and history will repeats itself.

greatwolf
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
. We have seen in chapters that Rand can use the force to change his appearance, like when he sneaked into Elayneís bedroom.

The force? :)

Ozymandias
04-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Yo, if I'm Rand, I'm gonna go back to Tear, bang the crap out of Min, rinse and repeat in Caemlyn, and then get down to business.

Just sayin'

lurk
04-28-2010, 06:24 AM
First Rand needs to get himself of dragonmount, he has the power but can't fly

Ozy, if it takes long yeah the solitude could cause your dream to happen ;)

Oatman
04-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Rand will spend the next book politicing. He needs to get Tuon on his side, sort out the mess he made with Ituralde, and get the people he has leading his countries back on his side fully. His recent antics have given most of them reason to second guess him.

GonzoTheGreat
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
He also has to deal with Cadsuane, finally get Egwene angry at him, tell Gawyn that he didn't kill his mother, set up an Aiel preservation sanctuary and rule Illian.

One Armed Gimp
04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I see some seed singing taking place to help feed all these people. The song has to be found and what better way to help bring peace and order. I think Rand will be involved in that. He seems to know what he needs to do now, bring peace and order. I think the days of hard-ass Rand are over, and good-riddance. He has tried to force a lot of uniting and not given much effort to protecting and providing for. Basically he stops being a prick and starts setting things straight. I'd say he starts in Tear.

Other that, I am with Ozy.

Yellowbeard
04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
on the summit of dragonmount, it seemed he could remember all of his prior lives. i wonder if that's permanent? if so, he'll remember how he defeated the DO in a similar prior turning of the wheel, and that should be that.

regardless, yeah, he's gotta make peace w/ the seanchan. and i don't see any peace w/ them w/out them freeing the damane. tuon's gonna have to have a sudden leap from potential learner to actually channeling herself. then she'll realize all the suldam can actually channel and the basis of the seanchan cultural beliefs regarding channelers is bupkis.

he's got to reign in the borderlander armies and get them pointed in the right direction for TG.

he's got to track down demandred. demandred seems to be the only forsaken left that is totally out there on his own and hasn't been impaired somehow.

he's got to find fain. why exactly who can guess? but fain has to figure in, most likely as some sort of quasi-gollum figure.

and finally, the last thing i can think of is he's got to die.

ShadowbaneX
04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure how much we're going to see from Rand in the next book. After the opening ceremonies he described that there are 5 main plots going on now, Rand & Egwene are two. The other two are Mat & Perrin and we're going to see them catching up to where Rand & Egwene are.

For instance we need to see what Mat does in Caemlyn and Perrin meeting up with Morgase before Nynaeve shows up, grabs Tam and takes him back to Tear for the confrontation with Rand at the end of tGS. That leaves the 5th plot, one which wasn't in tGS at all, which will likely be Elayne, although one could argue that will be tied in with Mat, which opens up a plot line for someone else that we haven't seen. I guess it could be Aviendha's trip to Rhuidean. Actually, it might well be a plot line with Lan in it and him moving towards Tarwin's Gap.

Regardless, I don't think we're going to be seeing too much from Rand, at least not nearly as much as we saw in the last book as most of the others need to catch up to him (only Egwene is about on the same level, time-wise, as he is). If Rand does show up in the next book, it will likely only be small little plots as we saw with Mat & Perrin in this book.

As for what Rand is going to do, well, that three who become one might be a hint. If the three are Rand, Mat & Perrin and their visions of each other become more, then all sorts of interesting things might happen.

grunt
05-17-2010, 08:32 AM
I think he'll go back to Tear and have a pretty big heart to heart with some folks. Then he'll go meet with the borderlanders and apologize to Hurin.

GonzoTheGreat
05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
He can't meet the Borderlanders, unless they come out of Far Madding. Or unless he swamps the place with Aiel, and disarms them first. Can see how well that one would go over: taking away all the weapons from a few hundred thousand Borderlanders?

JSUCamel
05-17-2010, 09:36 AM
He can't meet the Borderlanders, unless they come out of Far Madding.

Of course he can*. In fact, if he did go to the meeting with the Borderlanders, it would be a good show of good faith and a first step in reconciliation about their disagreement before the Last Battle.

I wonder what would happen, though, if the Borderlanders were to catch wind of the raising of the Golden Crane banner and Lan's ride from Saldaea to Tarwin's Gap. Would they think there was some sort of revolt and run back home to take care of it? Or would they stay in Far Madding and wait for Rand, the Borderlands be damned? That's my only concern about the meetings between Rand and the Borderlanders... Lan's up there -- why can't he unite them?

* That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

GonzoTheGreat
05-17-2010, 09:40 AM
What disagreement?

I still do not buy the story they are putting out:
"We want to humiliate the DR because, by assuming that we were competent enough to handle our own kingdoms, he humiliated us."*

That just simply does not make sense. So there is something else they are after. What is it, and why do they feel that they have to meet him where he can't defend himself before they let him know?

* I'm not entirely happy about the placement of the commas in that sentence. I am not happy with any other placement I've tried either, though.

JSUCamel
05-17-2010, 10:03 AM
What disagreement?

I still do not buy the story they are putting out:
"We want to humiliate the DR because, by assuming that we were competent enough to handle our own kingdoms, he humiliated us."*

That just simply does not make sense. So there is something else they are after. What is it, and why do they feel that they have to meet him where he can't defend himself before they let him know?

* I'm not entirely happy about the placement of the commas in that sentence. I am not happy with any other placement I've tried either, though.

Well, whether you buy it or not, there's still a disagreement of some kind. He's pissed them off in some fashion or another, and to unite Randland, he needs to reconcile the differences between them. I'm actually agreeing with you though -- I don't think it's a simple matter of pride -- but I don't see how you can suggest that there's no conflict at all in this scenario. There's gotta be something, or they wouldn't have left the Borderlands in full force.

* Commas were fine.

GonzoTheGreat
05-17-2010, 10:25 AM
But if the disagreement is simply that they want him dead, and he wants to stay alive, then going into Far Madding would not be such a bright idea, even if it would lead to rapid resolution of the disagreement. That is why "what disagreement" is so important.

Going into a Stedding to meet a bunch of Ogier would be a sensible show of good faith and trust. Going into Far Madding to meet a bunch of nobels who display highly suspicious behaviour would be foolish. Randland nobles just do not have the credentials to be given that much trust.

Ingtar was trustworthy, but then, he was a Darkfriend. I'm not sure all those Borderlanders are DFs too.

JSUCamel
05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
But if the disagreement is simply that they want him dead, and he wants to stay alive, then going into Far Madding would not be such a bright idea, even if it would lead to rapid resolution of the disagreement. That is why "what disagreement" is so important.

Well, we have no overt evidence that they wish Rand's death*. Also, I did say it wasn't a good idea :p

* Aside from the fact that they have 13 Aes Sedai with them... though that doesn't imply death, necessarily.

GonzoTheGreat
05-17-2010, 10:38 AM
And the fact that they intend to do what "the White Tower would not or could not do". Since they set out before they learned that Rand was employing Taim, when it was still thought that either the WT or Bashere would catch that false Dragon, what does that leave?
Doing unto Rand before he does unto them.

Perhaps they're gonna give him a medal, but personally I doubt that.

JSUCamel
05-17-2010, 10:46 AM
And the fact that they intend to do what "the White Tower would not or could not do". Since they set out before they learned that Rand was employing Taim, when it was still thought that either the WT or Bashere would catch that false Dragon, what does that leave?
Doing unto Rand before he does unto them.

Perhaps they're gonna give him a medal, but personally I doubt that.

Well, I took that quote as "reign him in", not "kill him". *shrug* We'll have to wait and see, Gonzo :)

jason wolfbrother
05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm looking forward to Rand's re-reunion with Hurin. Wonder how he smells now ;)

Terez
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Probably still with his nose.

JSUCamel
05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm looking forward to Rand's re-reunion with Hurin. Wonder how he smells now ;)

That's an interesting question :)

Sei'taer
05-18-2010, 08:22 AM
That's an interesting question :)

Not all lemony fresh would be my guess.

You know when your walking through the woods and you find a dead cow?

"yes."

You think that'd be fun to shoot, because heck, it's already dead?

"Uh huh ~nodding~"

Then when you shoot it a opossum runs out of its anus?

"oh...yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about!"

Rand probably smells worse.