PDA

View Full Version : Cool LoC Foreshadowing quote

NaeffOfDreams
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm sure someone posted this months ago right after TGS came out, but I was doing a reread and had to laugh. It's the only Semirhage POV we get in the whole series before The Last That Could be Done.

Lord of Chaos, Chapter 6, Threads Woven of Shadow, Semirhage POV

If the Great Lord meant to make al'Thor Nae'blis, she herself would kneel to him--and wait for a slip to deliver him into her hands. Immortality meant infinite time to wait. There would always be other patients to amuse her in the meantime. What troubled her was Shaidar Haran. She had never been more than an indifferent tcheran player, but Shaidar Haran was a new piece on the board, one of unknown strength and purpose. And one daring way to capture your opponent's High Counselor and turn it to your side was to sacrifice your Spires in a false attack. She would kneel if need be, for as long as need be, but she would not be sacrificed.

Somehow I went years without knowing this place existed. I'm glad I have more people to talk about this stuff with now.

Terez
04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
LOL, yeah that quote came up a lot when we were arguing about whether or not Semirhage was set up to fail. Most of us think she was sacrificed, of course.

dominominic
04-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Including Semirhage herself!

Davian93
04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
LOL, yeah that quote came up a lot when we were arguing about whether or not Semirhage was set up to fail. Most of us think she was sacrificed, of course.

It was a perfect trap. Regardless of the outcome, the Dark One won:

1. Rand is captured and a prisoner at Shayol Ghul

2. Rand is free but forever tainted by his TP usage.

Its a win-win.

GonzoTheGreat
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
3. Rand somehow manages to kill Semirhage and Elza without using the TP. Then he would probably have gone stark raving mad, as a result of his "thou shallt not kill women" hangup.

Ozymandias
05-01-2010, 02:31 AM

Which would make her capture a set-up... as I've been saying for years!

Davian93
05-01-2010, 03:54 PM
3. Rand somehow manages to kill Semirhage and Elza without using the TP. Then he would probably have gone stark raving mad, as a result of his "thou shallt not kill women" hangup.

The TP was the only way out...he was collared and under the control of a Forsaken. Semi would have used Rand to kill everyone there and then taken him back to Shayol Ghul...Game Over.

Terez
05-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Which would make her capture a set-up... as I've been saying for years!
Not exactly!

Neilbert
05-01-2010, 10:07 PM
The TP was the only way out...he was collared and under the control of a Forsaken. Semi would have used Rand to kill everyone there and then taken him back to Shayol Ghul...Game Over.

Rand's being collared is not a precondition. Semerhage has to make it happen, and while she is making it happen she can die.

GonzoTheGreat
05-02-2010, 05:17 AM
The TP was the only way out...he was collared and under the control of a Forsaken. Semi would have used Rand to kill everyone there and then taken him back to Shayol Ghul...Game Over.When Min threw her knife, Rand was still capable of moving. If he had slammed his hand into her throat (or used some other "one strike killing blow"), then he might have managed to kill her before she could stop him. That might have left him dead, too, of course, but in that case Nynaeve could have simply ripped him out of TAR and they could have continued where they left off.

Terez
05-02-2010, 05:27 AM
When Min threw her knife, Rand was still capable of moving. If he had slammed his hand into her throat (or used some other "one strike killing blow"), then he might have managed to kill her before she could stop him. That might have left him dead, too, of course, but in that case Nynaeve could have simply ripped him out of TAR and they could have continued where they left off.
I was thinking about this today, because there's a chance that Rand could die, and get ripped out, and then die again. But there's nothing to stop him from being ripped out again. So far as we know from Min's viewings, Birgitte is still destined to be a Hero in future lives, so there's no permanent death if they die in the ripped-out body. But I think Nynaeve will only be able to do it when she is able to find him with Need, otherwise he'd just hide from her and she'd never find him (unless he decided to break the precepts, which might be enough to get you kicked out of heaven if you do it often enough). She wouldn't be able to find him with Need if the Pattern didn't still need him to do the Dragony stuff.

GonzoTheGreat
05-02-2010, 05:41 AM
Well, I do not like the whole "Nynaeve will rip him a new one" anyway, so it won't happen.

Terez
05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I think you will be sad about that.