PDA

View Full Version : Trivia: Theoryland wipes the floor with the competition

Terez
04-25-2010, 11:37 PM
We had to split into groups of four for the team trivia today, so we ended up having three Theoryland teams, with a few spectators left over. There were three other non-Theoryland teams.

All three of our teams pulled ahead of the other three teams in the very first round, and we stayed ahead - and tied! - throughout the entire competition. All four rounds (three questions each), we were tied. For the final Jeopardy-like round, all three of our teams wagered everything. All three teams answered correctly.

For the tie-breaker, she asked us what the word count was for The Eye of the World, and gave the win to the team that got the closest. The right answer was 305,000, and we all guessed between 315,000 and 340,000 IIRC, and Frenzy's team was the closest (I think it was Frenzy, Ishara, SBX, and Hopper), so they won.

Afterward I was talking to Frenzy and WSB and apparently they were the unofficial team captains like I was (I had Tam and Marie and Cary, and WSB had Eclipse and Zan and....? I forget the 4th on his team...they were sitting by all the spectators so I dunno who was participating and who wasn't), and we reminisced about the essays we wrote on our little scorecards. Maria told us that the girl who ran the trivia was very impressed with us.

And this was after we wiped the floor on the individual trivia bee yesterday. I got first place, Cary got third, Frenzy came in 4th, and I think Ishara and Tam were not far behind. We rocked. JordanCon will never forget us.

The girl who got 2nd place in the trivia bee (anyone know her name? I'd like to find her) was really good. She got several questions that I didn't know, today and yesterday. Her team didn't do so well, though.

ShadowbaneX
04-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Go Sens Go! Wait, that's over for this year. Oh, yeah, Go Theoryland Go!

Slight correction Terez, for the team trivia after two rounds there was a 5-way tie for first and one team was slightly behind. It was in the 3rd and 4th rounds that Theoryland left everyone else in the dust!

We rock!

Terez
04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Yes we do rock. And you were in better shape than I expected you to be. :D

Also.

Questions we all missed:

What's the Old Tongue word for 'daisy'?

What color are the tiles outside the Mistress of Novices's study? (The aforementioned girl who was good got this one right...pretty sure we all missed it.)

Question we all guessed on and got right anyway: What stedding is closest to Mayene? (Actually, I think WSB said he put Tsofu....it was Shangtai....so I'm confused about how they made up for that to stay tied with the other two teams. I'm sure WSB can clarify.)

Questions we all got right:

What do Seanchan call Darkfriends? (Atha'an Shadar)

Who was Elyas's Aes Sedai? Bonus points for Ajah. (Rina Hafden, Green - they wouldn't give us bonus points for her last name, even thought it wasn't required.)

List all 13 Forsaken and tell which ones died in book 1.

Etc.

Final question:

Who avenged the original Band of the Red Hand, and how?

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Better shape? Physically or Trivially? Oh, and you didn't buy me lunch!

Terez
04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Trivially, duh! LOL, and we didn't eat lunch together! Yeah, I know...I could have covered you at the Mexican place. I actually thought about it while I was sitting there and was going to offer, but since you hadn't really spoken to me yet I was scared you were going to be a snob to me about it, lol. Emma was annoying me enough as it was. She should have taken a lesson from Camel.

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Snob? Me? Ok, I'm just going to leave all this alone.

Terez
04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
I wasn't trying to start a fight, lol (I'm in a pretty good mood actually). But you hadn't spoken to me at that point, at least so far as I can remember. I remember waving at you when I first saw you, and you just looked at me funny. ;)

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2010, 12:42 AM
I don't remember you waving, sorry. I must not have seen you. You could have always come and spoken to me. I know, crazy, but then I'm always one for looney theories and notions.

Terez
04-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I could have, but why would I when you were giving me the evil eye? LOL. I was there to have a good time, or at least to try. You have been fairly consistently with the we-hate-Terez faction so I figured it wasn't worth the trouble. No offense, but you could have come and spoken to me as well.

Anyway, can we get back to solidarity now? I can't believe it only lasted like 2.4 seconds. Oh wait, yes I can...

Frenzy
04-26-2010, 01:03 AM
The fourth you can't remember was Cary. She must've been in stealth mode. Taking lessons from me, no doubt. i was sneaking up on everyone all weekend. Very strange.

Anyway, our team wrote down Stedding Shangtai for that question, Terez. We weren't 100% sure, because there could've been a throwaway stedding mentioned like once that we didn't remember. But we put down Shangtai anyway, and it was right. We knew Tsofu was closest to Cairhein.

We almost overthought the Queen Eldrene question too. We were totally convinced it was too easy, and that we were missing something. But we just said what the hell and put it down anyway.

We got the tiles question and the daisy question wrong. All 3 theoryland teams missed that one. We're consistent if nothing else. ;)

The quiz was a lot of fun. i'm glad it wasn't just us playing. i'm also glad we all won. :D

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Just because I argue with you doesn't mean I hate you Terez, and I wasn't giving you the Evil Eye, that was something that you saw or misinterpreted.

Anyway, yes, that is something else (especially since it was just a joke in the first place, I don't really care about the money, just using it as a start for some minor teasing, which, you know, I do, alot).

Anyway, mad applause to the one Theorylander that did get the Daisy question. Please join with me in giving Sei'Taer a round of applause!

YAY ST!!!

http://ic2.pbase.com/o4/97/388497/1/64021719.CHPTbjAb.applause.gif

Terez
04-26-2010, 01:40 AM
You guys are gullible if you think he didn't look that up on his phone. :D

The fourth you can't remember was Cary. She must've been in stealth mode. Taking lessons from me, no doubt. i was sneaking up on everyone all weekend. Very strange.
Cary was on my team silly. I said that. :p

Anyway, our team wrote down Stedding Shangtai for that question, Terez. We weren't 100% sure, because there could've been a throwaway stedding mentioned like once that we didn't remember. But we put down Shangtai anyway, and it was right. We knew Tsofu was closest to Cairhein.
Yeah, well I mixed them up at first. Marie fixed me, and then I remembered. We didn't think Shangtai was right but we put it anyway, and wagered 10 points on it (we'd already used the 5 on either daisy or the tiles).

We almost overthought the Queen Eldrene question too. We were totally convinced it was too easy, and that we were missing something. But we just said what the hell and put it down anyway.
I never suspected we were overthinking it, partly because Moiraine used the word 'vengeance' when talking about what Eldrene did, and partly because of the way it was worded (indirectly). All we had to remember to connect the dots is that the original Band went down with Aemon, but I bet they were thinking that some people just don't know that. Shocking, I know, but I'm sure it's true. We just scare those people away at Theoryland so it's easy to forget that the multitudes exist.

Frenzy
04-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Then it was Leane. i guess i assumed Cary & Zan would be on the same team. Then i remembered Cary saying the trivia contest wouldn't be any fun if she didn't beat Zan.

i love newlyweds. They're so cute. :)

Leanne
04-26-2010, 07:50 AM
We also had Stedding Shangtai. It's funny, WSB did have the thought of where Daisy came from, but couldn't remember the actual word. We were laughing at WSB for all of the information he was giving to be absolutely complete, apparently it was the same for all TL teams. Well done! Also, we got half of the tile question correct, we tried for partial points, obviously we got shot down.

heridfel
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I'll get you next time Gadget! Seriously though congrats, I used to think my WotFu was untouchable until I met all my kindred souls at Jordancon :) At least my team didn't come last.

JSUCamel
04-27-2010, 02:26 PM
We also had Stedding Shangtai. It's funny, WSB did have the thought of where Daisy came from, but couldn't remember the actual word. We were laughing at WSB for all of the information he was giving to be absolutely complete, apparently it was the same for all TL teams. Well done! Also, we got half of the tile question correct, we tried for partial points, obviously we got shot down.

I knew the Old Tongue quote, too, but I only mentioned that I knew it to Zan, and I didn't jump up and yell "WOO!" like Taer did. lol

I will admit that the fact that I knew the answer was sheer luck as I'd just re-read that chapter a few days prior to the trivia contest while researching something for the database.

Terez
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I'll get you next time Gadget! Seriously though congrats, I used to think my WotFu was untouchable until I met all my kindred souls at Jordancon :) At least my team didn't come last.
pssh, you knew me before JordanCon. :p

Sei'taer
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I knew the Old Tongue quote, too, but I only mentioned that I knew it to Zan, and I didn't jump up and yell "WOO!" like Taer did. lol

I will admit that the fact that I knew the answer was sheer luck as I'd just re-read that chapter a few days prior to the trivia contest while researching something for the database.

The funny thing is that i was thinking that was what Lan called his lover. I just looked it up and it's actually the name of one of Aviendha's horses. Oh well, I got it right one way or the other.

I did get a tshirt out of the deal (thanks SBX) and I think I might play next year.

ShadowbaneX
04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
The funny thing is that i was thinking that was what Lan called his lover. I just looked it up and it's actually the name of one of Aviendha's horses. Oh well, I got it right one way or the other.

I did get a tshirt out of the deal (thanks SBX) and I think I might play next year.
dammit! I knew it was the name of someone's horse, but still couldn't place it!

You're quite welcome for the shirt ST, but you definitely deserve it for knowing that answer.

Sei'taer
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
dammit! I knew it was the name of someone's horse, but still couldn't place it!

You're quite welcome for the shirt ST, but you definitely deserve it for knowing that answer.

LOL...I'm still trying to figure out how I knew it. The look on WSB's face was hilarious. Sometimes really stupid shit sticks in my head.

ShadowbaneX
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM
hey man, the most random of stuff sticks in my brain as well, like Aligning the Matrix or Ashenderai from back in 2000 when it'd mentioned in aCoS. Hell, the fact I remember that is proof of concept.

pops taer
04-27-2010, 04:32 PM
One handicap for WSB was the approximately half bottle of 18 yr old Chivas swallowed by Eclipse a fellow teammate of his. Seems Eclipse and I attempted to drink a 750 ml bottle of quality Chivas with a small amount of help from a few others. About 4 shots total taken and passed around amongst others and Eclipse and I completed emptying the package..... Eclipse was suffering greatly on Sun morning and I was suffering not at all.

Anyhoooo all did really, really great at the trivia contests and did TL extremely proud!!!

WinespringBrother
04-27-2010, 07:24 PM
LOL...I'm still trying to figure out how I knew it. The look on WSB's face was hilarious. Sometimes really stupid shit sticks in my head.

Oh,come on! Even Lan would have blinked, or flickered an eye :D

I botched the solo trivia by not using my pass and not thinking before answering. I found it funny though that the 2nd question I was asked was from the page in TSR that I stopped reading in on Thursday LOL (first Aiel that Egwene met in TAR)

Ishara
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
LOL - I was SO pissed about my question re: the general that led the last battle outside the shining walls. I KNEW it wasn't Niall, but couldn't for the life of think of the right answer.

Cary Sedai
04-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I got third place, I got third place!

I'm excited :D

Hopper
04-29-2010, 05:59 AM
After we decimated the competition at the trivia events this year I proposed to Tam than next year the trivia game be Are You Smarter than a Theorylander. He proposed it to the powers that be and it seems they like it.

I can't wait to hear Jason stand up in the middle of the Convention and state, "My name is Jason Denzel and I am NOT smarter than a Theorylander".

I also think it would be cool to have a celebrity event with either Maria or Alan.

RogueSavior
04-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Okay, I nominate it be theorylanders OTHER than those of you with organized dossiers of old tongue translations and full-wall plot trees in your basement. You know who you are.

Terez
04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
After we decimated the competition at the trivia events this year I proposed to Tam than next year the trivia game be Are You Smarter than a Theorylander. He proposed it to the powers that be and it seems they like it.
So are Theorylanders supposed to be equivalent to fifth-graders? Surely we can do better than that.

I can't wait to hear Jason stand up in the middle of the Convention and state, "My name is Jason Denzel and I am NOT smarter than a Theorylander".
Now that would be fun.

I also think it would be cool to have a celebrity event with either Maria or Alan.
Maria told us that she did a 'beat the geek' sort of thing at another con...maybe DragonCon? Anyway, she said it was a lot of fun, but scary.

Ishara
04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I didn't do too shabbily and I have no wall charts, I swear! ;)

Granted I didn't know the Old Tongue for daisy or People of the Dark. :(

GonzoTheGreat
04-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Okay, I nominate it be theorylanders OTHER than those of you with organized dossiers of old tongue translations and full-wall plot trees in your basement. You know who you are.More importantly, perhaps: if you don't have a basement, then you know you're exempt from this rule.

Belazamon
04-30-2010, 01:49 PM
So are Theorylanders supposed to be equivalent to fifth-graders? Surely we can do better than that.
I dunno, have you seen the Non-WoT board lately? ;)

Anaiya Sedai
05-01-2010, 02:16 AM
I dunno, have you seen the Non-WoT board lately? ;)
hey, there's a good side to it! It made me run back and got me posting on General again.... :rolleyes: