PDA

View Full Version : I survived!!!

Sei'taer
05-02-2010, 11:23 AM
5 inches of rain and seven tornado warning later, I'm still here and it's still raining. Interesting day yesterday to say the list. Memphis is a disaster with roads and bridges washed out, city hall was flooded, lots of cars ruined and The Med flooded. I don't know what it looks like in other parts of Shelby county, but it appears that up in Nashville things are even worse. Places in AR got more than 12 inches of rain and I think Nashville is getting close to that.

How's your weekend?

JSUCamel
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
5 inches of rain and seven tornado warning later, I'm still here and it's still raining. Interesting day yesterday to say the list. Memphis is a disaster with roads and bridges washed out, city hall was flooded, lots of cars ruined and The Med flooded. I don't know what it looks like in other parts of Shelby county, but it appears that up in Nashville things are even worse. Places in AR got more than 12 inches of rain and I think Nashville is getting close to that.

How's your weekend?

Also, you had pad thai.

I bought a new bike and am now broke as shit. Woo. But the bike rocks.

ShadowbaneX
05-02-2010, 11:37 AM
good to hear that the rising waters didn't get you ST. My weekend? Gamed with buddies, reading through Under Heaven by GGK.

Davian93
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Its 80 and sunny out...which makes the patches of snow look weird.

Hopper
05-02-2010, 12:44 PM

How's your weekend?

It's good that you had a good storm drain system. Your inspectors should be complemented.

JSUCamel
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
It's good that you had a good storm drain system. Your inspectors should be complemented.

Oh snap!

irerancincpkc
05-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Its hot and sunny, I'd take some of your rain....

Brita
05-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Oooh- exciting! Reminds me of our flood 2 years ago. Does this mean a lot of extra work for you?

Sei'taer
05-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Oooh- exciting! Reminds me of our flood 2 years ago. Does this mean a lot of extra work for you?

Probably not. It appears the city I work for survived quite well. I guess I'll know more tomorrow since I didn't get an emergency call out.

ShadowbaneX
05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Probably not. It appears the city I work for survived quite well. I guess I'll know more tomorrow since I didn't get an emergency call out.
lost opportunities ST. If you'd done a crappier job, there would have been more damage and then more inspecting for you to do afterwards.

Sei'taer
05-02-2010, 04:21 PM
lost opportunities ST. If you'd done a crappier job, there would have been more damage and then more inspecting for you to do afterwards.

hmmmmmmm well, It's not my nature to do a bad job, I suppose.

Ivhon
05-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Just talked to my Mom. Chattanooga is bracing for some serious flooding, with the TN river being full already, getting the storm about now, and then getting all the runoff from Nashville. She lives on a hill, thankfully.

Sei'taer
05-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Just talked to my Mom. Chattanooga is bracing for some serious flooding, with the TN river being full already, getting the storm about now, and then getting all the runoff from Nashville. She lives on a hill, thankfully.

Check out some of these videos (http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/todays-top-forecast-4276#17180)

Ivhon
05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
crazy....

Ishara
05-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Phew - between updates on crappy neighbours and pad thai I was pretty sure it wasn't TOO bad, but happy to hear you guys made it clear safe and sound. :)

WinespringBrother
05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
good to hear you got through it, the flooding looked pretty nasty on CNN today.

Sei'taer
05-03-2010, 09:47 AM
We'll have to see how Camel and ReTaardad do in Atlanta today. Supposed to get nasty there too. I heard on the radio downtown was flooded and the airport was closed.

Glad we didn't get that during J'con.

Hopper
05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
We'll have to see how Camel and ReTaardad do in Atlanta today. Supposed to get nasty there too. I heard on the radio downtown was flooded and the airport was closed.

Glad we didn't get that during J'con.

Because we don't care how Hopper does? :(

JSUCamel
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Who's Hopper?

GonzoTheGreat
05-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Because we don't care how Hopper does? :(Are you suggesting that Hopper can't handle a spot of rain?

Sei'taer
05-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Hey Hopper!

JanDSedai
05-04-2010, 03:02 AM
I was in Nashville this weekend attending an anime convention (MTAC). While the convention hotel did not flood, the access roads did, so many attendees were stranded. So the concom decided to extend the con! Video and gaming rooms were open, and panels were available,too.

I got back home to Clarksville okay on Monday, although we had to go roundabout through Nashville. Only to find out the road I live on was closed! Swan Lake (the big pond beside Dunbar Cave) was over the road, and connecting to the Red River about a mile away. My house is on the hill up from the cave, so we are okay, and school and work have been canceled, so we will have a bit of a holiday tomorrow.

Interesting enough, part of the area that flooded in Nashville is called 'the two rivers'!

Yellowbeard
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
well, the 'burbs NE of atlanta didn't get it too bad. at least not where i am. it was a good rain, and a cool thunderstorm, though. needed it. trying to break up surface soil (it is hard packed clay and gravel, not worthy of being called top soil at the moment) and see if i can get some dense shade rated grass growing in it. the water will make it softer and easier break up so i can get the seed and fertilizer mixed in better.

Sei'taer
05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Latest update from work.

Also, we were featured in a segment on national news (Fox) this morning. One of my jobs flooded and all the equipment onsite was underwater. I was not allowed to be on TV (dammit) but I did show them where to go and set up.

Germantown Flood Update

The City of Germantown is monitoring rising flood waters that have closed several parks and the Greenway.
At 11 a.m. today, the Wolf River at Germantown stood at 23.99 feet, nearly three and a half feet above flood stage. The river is forecast to crest Wednesday at 1 a.m. at 25 feet, four and one half feet above flood stage.
The good news is that the anticipated crest is now at 25 feet, half a foot lower than earlier predictions, said Dennis Wolf, fire chief and emergency manager. A higher crest could have threatened to shut down portions of Wolf River Boulevard. Wolf said the flood water is not expected to impact the Germantown Parkway bridge at Wolf River.
The City is continuing to monitor the rising water and is urging motorists to use caution and monitor local radio for updates during afternoon rush hour and Wednesday morning rush hour.
Currently rising water is threatening parking lots at some businesses on Wolf River Boulevard, but City engineers dont anticipate flooding of businesses or homes. We did not find any finished floor elevations that are lower than the predicted river crest elevation, said Tim Gwaltney, City engineer. City representatives are meeting with area businesses today to keep them informed on the flooding.
This morning the City closed Riverwoods Nature Area at Wolf River Boulevard and Kimbrough Road due to rising water. On Monday the City closed Poplar Estates Park at 1130 Poplar Estates Parkway. The Germantown Greenway, which runs approximately two and a half miles along the Wolf River, remains closed until further notice.

Crispin's Crispian
05-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Latest update from work.

Also, we were featured in a segment on national news (Fox) this morning. One of my jobs flooded and all the equipment onsite was underwater. I was not allowed to be on TV (dammit) but I did show them where to go and set up.
What?! I can't believe your good looks and innocent charm didn't win them over. Outrageous!

In all seriousness, I hope your home and family are OK.

ShadowbaneX
05-04-2010, 11:41 PM
then again, it's Fox. Do you really want to be on that channel?

GonzoTheGreat
05-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Also, we were featured in a segment on national news (Fox) this morning. One of my jobs flooded and all the equipment onsite was underwater. I was not allowed to be on TV (dammit) but I did show them where to go and set up.Well, of course you weren't allowed on TV. You are an un-American commie liberal hippie, after all. Or as close as makes no difference, anyway.

Sei'taer
05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
What?! I can't believe your good looks and innocent charm didn't win them over. Outrageous!

I think they didn't want me on national TV because my incredibly good looks and winning attitude would have the ladies out there swooning and the Fox would have to give me a job and I would have made a name for myself and then moved on to being the next hollywood sex symbol always walking around with the current favored hottie on my arm and for years noone else would be able to take the spotlight away from me, but eventually as I got older and fell out of favor I would begin to appear on shows with Trump, and dancing shows and shows about talented dogs. They knew where I would end up and saved me the trouble. For that I can only thank them, I guess.

then again, it's Fox. Do you really want to be on that channel?

I'm not picky.

Well, of course you weren't allowed on TV. You are an un-American commie liberal hippie, after all. Or as close as makes no difference, anyway.

See above for the real reason.

Ishara
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I think they didn't want me on national TV because my incredibly good looks and winning attitude would have the ladies out there swooning and the Fox would have to give me a job and I would have made a name for myself and then moved on to being the next hollywood sex symbol always walking around with the current favored hottie on my arm and for years noone else would be able to take the spotlight away from me, but eventually as I got older and fell out of favor I would begin to appear on shows with Trump, and dancing shows and shows about talented dogs. They knew where I would end up and saved me the trouble. For that I can only thank them, I guess.

Le sigh. It's true.

Sei'taer
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Le sigh. It's true.

;)

Sei'taer
05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Just an update here. Looks like G'town is going to survive quite well, thanks to the efforts of our construction inspection and our public services.

So far, I've killed a dozen or so snakes with my ashandarei, helped rescue a pregnant fox and waded in the nastiest water I've ever seen. I was hoping for a gator so I could go Tarzan on it, but it hasn't happened yet...

1. The Greenway, Wolf River Nature Area (WRNA), Poplar Estates Park, and the Riverwoods Nature Area remain closed and were still inaccessible to city crews as of yesterday evening.
2. City departments are monitoring the Wolf River as it recedes.
3. Damage assessment of city facilities is not complete, but the city experienced minimal loss. No city vehicles were damaged by the storm. Only minor roof leaks occurred and these have been repaired by building maintenance. No offices or buildings were breached by the strong rain or storm water. We received no resident claims regarding the failure of city systems. The Greenway restroom was flooded. Departments are compiling numbers and the very preliminary damage assessment to the Wolf River Nature Area is $132,780. Protective measures is estimated at $6,000, with about $12,000 in other public assistance categories. An accurate damage assessment will be made when the flood waters recede.
4. City departments are ready for recovery. When the water recedes, crews will enter the areas that were flooded to make a comprehensive damage assessment and begin operations to restore the trails and park facilities. As of 05/05/10, there was water damage evident on the asphalt paved trail near the Germantown Bridge. Staff is concerned that additional asphalt damage will become evident as the water recedes. As water recedes it is leaving a layer of mud and silt that will have to be removed. Park Rangers attempted to inspect facilities but were still unable to do so due to high water. Informational and educational signage and exhibits are likely damaged including:
 Electric Overlook
 WRNA Wetlands including observation dock
 Aquifer Island
 River History Plaza
 Blue Heron Rest
 Turtle Bayou
 Beaver Boondocks
5. The Memphis/Shelby County Emergency Operations Center remains active. The Shelby County Office of Preparedness Mobile Command Center is stationed in Millington to facilitate communications and coordinate resources.
6. On Saturday afternoon, May 1, 2010, interim Shelby County Mayor Joe Ford issued a formal State of Emergency activating all necessary support and resources to provide immediate aid to Shelby County towns, cities and response agencies. For more information, call 515-2525.
Public Services has inspected drainage ditches and related infrastructure and is removing storm debris from the weekend, and is responding to service requests as the water levels drop and expose problems from the flooding.
The Utility Division has inspected and performed preventive maintenance to the sewer and water distribution systems, sewer lift pump stations, the Biofilter at Poplar Estates, and specifically with the residents affected in the Memphis outfall surge. The Fulmer Property sewer outfall ditch will require approximately 100 tons of rip rap rock to shore up the many wash outs that occurred Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Nashville is in bad trouble. They are going to have some major cleanup. They are also still finding people who drowned in the floods from what i understand. I've volunteered to go up there and help with damage assessment, but it looks like they are getting help from all over TN and don't really need any more. I have some pictures that a friend of mine in Nashville emailed and I'll try to post some of them later if I can and if people are interested.

Ishara
05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Yowza - it doesn't read like it'll be okay, so I'll take your word for it!

I heard the Opry is flooded too - that's kind of sad for country fans. The whole situation sounds just awful however you look at it...

GonzoTheGreat
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
So far, I've killed a dozen or so snakes with my ashandarei, helped rescue a pregnant fox and waded in the nastiest water I've ever seen. I was hoping for a gator so I could go Tarzan on it, but it hasn't happened yet...Note: Tarzan was sensible enough to do his gator wrestling in clean water.

Sei'taer
05-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Note: Tarzan was sensible enough to do his gator wrestling in clean water.

I broke my machete:mad::(

You will live another day, gator...another day.