PDA

View Full Version : long shot

nameless
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't think this is what will actually happen, but I haven't seen it brought up before so I thought the possibility was worth mentioning: what if the solution to "to live, you must die" involves the Portal Stone worlds? Rand could scour Probability until he finds a version of himself that's already gone mad from the taint, put the poor bastard out of his misery, and fake his own death very convincingly as a result. This would also fulfil the dream of Logain stepping over a paper-mache version of Rand's corpse.

The Mirror Worlds seem like an untapped resource, plotwise. They inspired the creation of the Ways and the Seanchan have been using them to recruit weird animals into their military, but other than that they haven't really done anything. Maybe RJ didn't want to overdo it with them because he thought it would turn WoT into an Amber ripoff (and yes, I got the "use a mirror-world clone to fake your death" idea from Amber), or maybe he was saving them for something big.

Tamyrlin
05-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm in the party that says that inhabitants of Mirror Worlds are not Real. They cannot exist in the Real World, whereas someone from the Real world can exist in a Mirror World. There is one soul of the Dragon Reborn, the Mirrors are only reflections and therefore cannot be body/soul threads in the Pattern.

The BWB makes a mistake as it pertains to Mirror Worlds and Parallel Worlds. As we see with the Finns, they inhabit a Parallel World and therefore have soul/body threads.

So, as it pertains to this theory, from the information we have I do not think it is possible to bring a version of himself from a Mirror World into the Real World.

Terez
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
It's not really necessary either, since we already know of a way to resurrect Rand.

nameless
05-04-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm in the party that says that inhabitants of Mirror Worlds are not Real. They cannot exist in the Real World, whereas someone from the Real world can exist in a Mirror World. There is one soul of the Dragon Reborn, the Mirrors are only reflections and therefore cannot be body/soul threads in the Pattern.

The BWB makes a mistake as it pertains to Mirror Worlds and Parallel Worlds. As we see with the Finns, they inhabit a Parallel World and therefore have soul/body threads.

So, as it pertains to this theory, from the information we have I do not think it is possible to bring a version of himself from a Mirror World into the Real World.

In that case how do you explain the grolm serving with the Ever Victorious Army?

GonzoTheGreat
05-04-2010, 03:29 AM
In that case how do you explain the grolm serving with the Ever Victorious Army?Figments of the imagination? :p

Sarevok
05-04-2010, 06:35 AM
It's not really necessary either, since we already know of a way to resurrect Rand.

Since when have we cared about that? :p

Casabamelon
05-04-2010, 09:38 AM

More to the point, if you go down this road you make possible to all sorts of deus ex machina. From the author's standpoint, literally anything is possible, just keep searching for a Mirror World that has whatever whomever needs. It would be bad writing, and I think RJ and BS are better than that.
________
CHEVROLET PARKWOOD (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Parkwood)

Tamyrlin
05-04-2010, 10:13 AM
The Grolm came from a Parallel World, not a Mirror World, since Mirror Worlds are Reflections of Real Worlds. There must be real threads from which to reflect. The BWB screws up a few things by equating Parallel Worlds and Mirror Worlds which Jordan clarified at DragonCon '05.

Marie Curie 7
05-04-2010, 11:05 AM
The Grolm came from a Parallel World, not a Mirror World, since Mirror Worlds are Reflections of Real Worlds. There must be real threads from which to reflect. The BWB screws up a few things by equating Parallel Worlds and Mirror Worlds which Jordan clarified at DragonCon '05.

Yeah, it was definitely stated in the BWB that the grolm and other exotics came from a parallel world. And it is also suggested in the BWB that those parallel worlds can be reached by Portal Stone:

TITLE: BWB
CHAPTER: 18 - Exotic Animals of Seanchan

These strange new creatures were not Shadowspawn at all, but the descendants of beasts brought back from parallel worlds, via Portal Stones, during the first thousand years after the Breaking, probably in an attempt to find aid against the real Shadowspawn. While the creatures' effectiveness was not recorded, it was during this same period that all remaining Shadowspawn on the continent were eradicated. The creatures remained, their care and training surviving through all the political upheavals until Luthair's arrival. The knowledge that allowed their procurement by way of the Portal Stones, however, was lost.

But that's not the only discrepancy. RJ also stated effectively the same thing in an early interview (one of the few not sourced to the original by Terez):

Thus Spake The Creator - Other Lands

Q: Were the Seanchan animals created before or after the Shadowspawn?

RJ: They are the 'exotics'. They were brought to Randland from parallel dimensions (like in the portal stones). When Rand saw grolm in the Portal Stone world, he was seeing them in the native 'land'.

However, in later interviews RJ makes it clear that portal stones connect mirror worlds, not parallel worlds, and that the two are different:

DragonCon 5 September 2005 - Tamyrlin reporting

Tamyrlin: This is in reference to a previous question I asked you about Parallel Worlds and Mirror Worlds, today I believe, and you mentioned they are different. And the question I had about Portal Stones was, do Portal Stones lead to Parallel Worlds, Mirror Worlds, or both?

Jordan: They lead to Mirror Worlds, the Portal Stones can take you to Mirror Worlds, not to Parallels, which are separate.

WinespringBrother reporting:
DragonCon 3 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Tamyrlin: The 'Finns reside in a Parallel World, is that correct?

Jordan: Yes.

Tamyrlin: Okay, so are Parallel Worlds and Mirror Worlds the same thing?

Jordan: No, they are different.

Tamyrlin: Okay, well then do Parallel Worlds have their own reflections?

Jordan: Possibly.

So that means that there is a bit of a problem in a mirror world being the home planet of the grolm, since grolm are supposed to be from a parallel world, and you can't reach parallel worlds by Portal Stone...